Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
where is the declining earth information

where is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Hubbert posted:

where is it

Look outside

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Fell Mood posted:

Look outside

no

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

works in the song

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Hubbert posted:

where is it

by information do you mean water

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/millions-colombia-bogota-capital-forced-ration-water-reservoirs-hit-critically-low-levels/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-water-crisis-climate-change/

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
wow PBS being doomer/black pilled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OTxdgMJsnw

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

This makes me so sad.

A Wyoming Man Allegedly Tortured a Wolf. He Barely Broke State Law.

quote:

On February 29, Daniel, Wyoming resident Cody Roberts allegedly ran a juvenile wolf down with his snowmobile, taped its mouth shut, transported it to the town’s Green River Bar, posed for photos with the animal, then either beat or shot it to death, depending on which version of the report you read. State wildlife officials received a tip about the incident, and later fined Roberts $250 for a misdemeanor violation of Wyoming’s prohibition against possession of live wildlife. No other charges or penalties have been brought against him. As of April 10, however, the Sublette County Sheriff’s Office announced that they—along with the Sublette County Attorney’s office—are now investigating Roberts.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/exploration-survival/wyoming-law-protects-wolf-torture/

Recommend not clicking on the first link in the article showing the bar photo...devastatingly heartbreaking. I tear up thinking about it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

err posted:

thank you both

:blessed:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rauros posted:

This makes me so sad.

A Wyoming Man Allegedly Tortured a Wolf. He Barely Broke State Law.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/exploration-survival/wyoming-law-protects-wolf-torture/

Recommend not clicking on the first link in the article showing the bar photo...devastatingly heartbreaking. I tear up thinking about it.

i hate to be that guy but i think it’s time we brought back ironic justice in some cases

err
Apr 11, 2005

Rauros posted:

Yeah, I saw that. People are loving sick. A lot of people in Wyoming and those surrounding states hate wolves. Conservation groups are in legal fights to give them more protections but no progress is really made tbh.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

eye for an eye but like. with wolves. i am workshopping it

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

wolves are loving cool as hell?? why would people hate them??

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

cash crab posted:

eye for an eye but like. with wolves. i am workshopping it

fang for a fang

they send one of ours to the den we send one of theirs to the morgue

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

cash crab posted:

I lived in Montana for a minute and it seems they hate wolves because they kill the elk that they want to hunt while they run over elk with their cars.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cash crab posted:

people are dumb as hell

read “never cry wolf” by Farley mowat. it’s an excellent work of fiction that actually produced a lot of wolf advocacy in Canada and maybe the US.

err
Apr 11, 2005

cash crab posted:

Expansion of towns/housing and people wanting to protect their property. Also, hunters wanting to kill them under the guise of protecting ranch and farm land.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it didn't feel like an op

ok

quote:

it felt like entirely white male management met together with entirely white female HR dept and decided "WOW PEOPLE ARE REALLY UPSET ABOUT THIS FLOYD THING, WE BETTER GIVE THEM AN OUTLET SO THEY FEEL LIKE WE'RE TAKING THIS SERIOUSLY". Then, basically any good or reasonable suggestion that group made was shredded for budgetary reasons and instead we adopted a bunch more Mandatory Training Videos.

you just described an op

i didnt say it was competent

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

tuyop posted:

people are dumb as hell

read “never cry wolf” by Farley mowat. it’s an excellent work of fiction that actually produced a lot of wolf advocacy in Canada and maybe the US.

oh poo poo! that was required reading in school, i have definitely read that. i was already autistic and obsessed with animals so i did not need convincing but yeah, that book is very popular in Canada

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

“ranchers” are some of the most noxious people this country has produced up there with neo nazi punks and mckinsey alumni

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

people who claim ownership of the land while knowing nothing about it ftl

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

people who claim ownership of the land while knowing nothing about it ftl

whoa whoa whoa there, they dont want to own it

they want the public to own and maintain it for their exclusive use

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There is some good in DEI. My company has meetings where you listen to people tell their stories about being part of an out group and its often pretty interesting and definitely better than working. I've also enjoyed some of the inclusive language changes. Seeing coworkers wring their hands and have to reflect on why slave/master is ultimately a dumb as hell thing to call two computers for example.

Its true what they say about rainbow flags on bombs though and using it to erase class consciousness.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also it's good when it makes people I don't like mad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Government subsidies for ranchers who slaughter their cattle and transition to cricket farming

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Salt Fish posted:

Also it's good when it makes people I don't like mad.

the most important thing in politics, everyone agrees

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Salt Fish posted:

There is some good in DEI. My company has meetings where you listen to people tell their stories about being part of an out group and its often pretty interesting and definitely better than working. I've also enjoyed some of the inclusive language changes. Seeing coworkers wring their hands and have to reflect on why slave/master is ultimately a dumb as hell thing to call two computers for example.

Its true what they say about rainbow flags on bombs though and using it to erase class consciousness.

yea I should have caveated that absolutely all the bullshit was worth it just to see the 5% of people who wanted to hand wring about pronouns in profiles have public meltdowns about it that outed them as babyish bigots

generally it sounds like your dei experience was better than mine but I was working in a govt intelligence adjacent venture backed and run startup, of course everything about it was awful besides the pay

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

watching white guys squirm when forced to listen to non-white non-guys is, indeed, very good

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

My company had a pride free shirt day, where they took a pic of you in front of a pride flag before giving you the shirt. Was pretty funny watching the rear end in a top hat bigots leaving when they saw that.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
My experience with such initiatives is that the people participating in them do mean well. i think there's useful conversations to be had about the functional role those programs play in protecting corporate interests rather than truly protecting workers, but I don't lay the blame for that at the people who just want their coworkers to stop being racist assholes.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Twigand Berries posted:

I lived in Montana for a minute and it seems they hate wolves because they kill the elk that they want to hunt while they run over elk with their cars.

its like getting angry at birds that eat garbage from bins or at landfills. they only eat our filth because we keep destroying their habitats, but of course it’s the bird’s fault!!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cabbages and Kings posted:

entirely white male management met together with entirely white female HR dept and decided any good or reasonable suggestion can be shredded for budgetary reasons and instead we adopted a bunch more Mandatory Training Videos.

I suspect this is how this played out at most midsize-to-large companies.

can confirm

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Moisturized. Happy. In My Lane. Doing The Work.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Is that what an American looks like?

Wow. Hollywood does lie.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

err posted:

Have they not considered that, actually, I can just buy another Earth? Idiots.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Working in state govt and the dei stuff is fine. The agency I'm a part of has by far the least white male people I have ever seen so imo that's cool and good

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Have they not considered that, actually, I can just buy another Earth? Idiots.

I'm currently close to closing a sale on a used one but, christ, they won't even pay a fair price for one that's still got 15-20 years left in it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pidgin Englishman posted:

one that's still got 15-20 years left in it.

Real Estate agents always gotta be lying, smdh

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
someone's noticing

https://www.propublica.org/article/climate-migration-louisiana-slidell-flooding?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

quote:

It has already begun. More Americans are displaced by catastrophic climate-change-driven storms and floods and fires every year. The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre, the global nongovernmental organization researchers rely on to measure the number of people forcibly cast out of their homes by natural disasters, counted very few displaced Americans in 2009, 2010 and 2011, years in which few natural disasters struck the United States. But by 2016 the numbers had begun to surge, with between 1 million and 1.7 million newly displaced people annually. The disasters and heat waves each year have become legion. But the statistics show the human side of what has appeared to be a turning point in both the severity and frequency of wildfires and hurricanes. As the number of displaced people continues to grow, an ever-larger portion of those affected will make their moves permanent, migrating to safer ground or supportive communities. They will do so either because a singular disaster like the 2018 wildfire in Paradise, California — or Hurricane Harvey, which struck the Texas and Louisiana coasts — is so destructive it forces them to, or because the subtler “slow onset” change in their surroundings gradually grows so intolerable, uncomfortable or inconvenient that they make the decision to leave, proactively, by choice. In a 2021 study published in the journal Climatic Change, researchers found that 57% of the Americans they surveyed believed that changes in their climate would push them to consider a move sometime in the next decade.

Also in 2021, the national real estate firm Redfin conducted a similar nationwide survey, finding that nearly half of Americans who planned to move that year said that climate risks were already driving their decisions. Some 52% of people moving from the West said that rising and extreme heat was a factor, and 48% of respondents moving from the Northeast pointed to sea level rise as their predominant threat. Roughly one in four Americans surveyed told Redfin they would no longer consider a move to a region facing extreme heat, no matter how much more affordable that location was. And nearly one-third of people said that “there was no price at which” they would consider buying a home in a coastal region affected by rising seas. When Redfin broadened its survey to include more than a thousand people who had not yet decided to move, a whopping 75% of them said that they would think twice before buying a home in a place facing rising heat or other climate risks.

Global migration experts say that what is happening in Louisiana is a textbook case of how climate-driven migration begins: First, people resist their new reality. Second, they make modest, incremental adjustments to where they live. Slidell, after all, is still within commuting distance of friends and jobs in St. Bernard Parish to the south. Third, they climb the ladder toward a safer place, rest on a rung for a while, and then continue on, only to be replaced by others worse off than they are, climbing up behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/1778977275872162082