Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

If Tom is moved to center then I'd question the sanity of the FO. Myers isn't the answer, but Tom is way too good to be put there.

Our best OL player is currently sitting at left guard even though he's a very good left tackle. I don't know if the team necessarily thinks the same way we do about tackles vs. interior, especially nowadays with defensive tackles becoming more of a pass pressuring threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I would extremely trade a second next year to move up to get MHJ or Odunze.

You shouldn't go full ryan pace ofc, but people are a bit too precious about picks.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know if the team necessarily thinks the same way we do about tackles vs. interior, especially nowadays with defensive tackles becoming more of a pass pressuring threat.

That evaluation could change after losing a running back who was exceptional in helping out with pass protection. For everything else that Josh Jacobs offers, I’m not sure he can beat that part of Aaron Jones’ game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

You shouldn't go full ryan pace ofc, but people are a bit too precious about picks.

I agree with this. Houston gave up a lot but they were trading up to 3 from 12. Going from 9 to 6 or 7 shouldn't cost much, relatively, and any of the top 3 WRs are worth the cost because you're not gonna see talent like that where you're picking next year.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

If they're off the board and no one blows them away, I'm more than happy to trade down. Especially if JJ McCarthy is still on the board (think this is doubtful though) or a desperate team wants to trade up for Bo Nix . Grab someone like Fautanu, Latu. or Verse in the middle of the first and pick up some draft capital later. There's a lot of really good players in that 10-20 range at positions the Bears need that I'd be more than happy with.

The Broncos-Saints-Raiders run from 12-14 seems like the sweet spot for a trade down to me. Ideally one of those teams is stupid high on Penix or Nix and is willing to pay a QB premium to move up a few spots, but even if they aren't, I feel like there's a decent chance the Saints or Raiders will want to position themselves to grab their favored tackle prospect

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

If the Chargers want a future 2nd for MHJ at 5 I’m crying in the streets

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I doubt MHJ is going to still be on the board past Arizona at 4.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I doubt MHJ is going to still be on the board past Arizona at 4.

This could be the year Top 4 picks are all QB's.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Cardinals will almost certainly move down a little bit if they can get three first rounders out of the trade.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I would absolutely give up next years first to move up to 4. Walking away with the two best players in the draft would be a coup.

I also think Fashanu is a guy the Bears are looking at strongly. A lot of projections have him and Altrsred similarly and staying at 9 and taking a tackle wouldn't be the worst unless one of the top three WRs are there.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

A Sneaker Broker posted:

This could be the year Top 4 picks are all QB's.

I think all us Bears fans, and a lot of fans of other teams, are salivating over a bunch of QBs going high. I'm fearful the reality will be Daniels and McCarthy falling just like many have fallen before (Rodgers), and the top nonQB talent getting snagged. With the QBs falling, no one will want to trade up, and it'll stink. I feel like worst case for a lot of teams would be something like this

top ten
Bears Williams
commanders Maye
Pats MHJ
Cardinals Nabers
Chargers Odunze
Giants Turner
Titans Alt
Falcons Fashanu
Bears Fatanu
Jets Bowers

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I don't think QBs are going to fall. This class is better than the Lawrence/Fields class. I think the buzz around Penix and Nix is just false, but people have been raving about Daniels and JJM and that hype hasn't died down. It is a good indicator.

Minnesota and Denver both need quarterbacks and I think they are targeting similar guys. If Daniels does go at 2, I think the Vikings are trading up to 3 for Maye. If Maye goes at 2, Vikings will trade up with the Cardinals or Chargers to secure JJM or Daniels and jump the Broncos. They didn't get a second first in this draft to stay pat. I'm not sure 4 QBs will go top ten, but three definitely will.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I would not give up a first next year to move up 5ish spots.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I think if Maye and McCarthy go before the Vikings first pick they're going to be in a really tough spot. I didn't watch a lot of CFB this year but everything I've read about Daniels screams disaster to me. On the other hand they can't really pass up an opportunity to at least take a swing at a top QB

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dexo posted:

Thankfully you're not Ryan Pace

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

If it guaranteed MHJ, I'd have no problem with it. I'd prefer a second, but I'll pay extra for a guy like that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sataere posted:

If it guaranteed MHJ, I'd have no problem with it. I'd prefer a second, but I'll pay extra for a guy like that.

Next year's WR draft class is pretty weak, so I think a lot of teams are going to want to trade up for MHJ/Nabers/Odunze. It's probably going to cost a king's ransom to move up to a top 5 pick. I'd rather the Bears grab Caleb at 1 and then just best available at 9, who is guaranteed to be someone elite in a position the Bears need.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's the NFL draft! we have no idea if someone is going to be "elite" or not!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yes and no. Some guys are safer than others. I think MHJ and Odunze are the safest picks in this draft.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

R.D. Mangles posted:

It’s the NFL draft, every player is elite and will be until halfway through season 1

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Sataere posted:

Yes and no. Some guys are safer than others. I think MHJ and Odunze are the safest picks in this draft.

There is no such thing as safe in the NFL draft.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sataere posted:

I'd put Joe Alt and Malik Nabers as safe bets too, barring injury

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shmtur posted:

There is no such thing as safe in the NFL draft.

I remember Aaron Curry and Jason Smith being lauded as the safe picks in 2009.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sammy Watkins was considered like near a perfect prospect

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think more often than not, the guys who are surefire hit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sataere posted:

I think more often than not, the guys who are surefire hit.

Incorrect. We just don't remember them

Like Clowney was considered one. And like he's been fine-good as a second edge but not someone who you would have felt good about giving a first up for.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The Vikings would have to give up a billion first rounders if Maye is there at 3 for the Pats to give him up. Just don’t see the Pats trading and if they do, it would be like with the Giants so they can still nab a blue chipper.

I think the Vikings stay in their spot and then draft Nix or Penix with their second first rounder, which they may even still need to move up on but that would be way easier.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 13, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'd be pretty stunned if the top three receivers in this class don't turn out at least above average in he the long term. This isn't a top three like when speed guys like Ruggs and Ross were in there, or guys with mostly just athletic upside. Those three are just so, so complete, every one of them. So few holes in their game that barring injury or crime sprees I think all three of them will be pretty drat good.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Hand Row posted:

The Vikings would have to give up a billion first rounders if Maye is there at 3 for the Pats to give him up. Just don’t see the Pats trading and if they do, it would be like with the Giants so they can still nab a blue chipper.

I think the Vikings stay in their spot and then draft Nix or Penix with their second first rounder, which they may even still need to move up on but that would be way easier.

Vikings the last couple of years have tried trading up and been unable to for their guys. Vikings aren't going to settle for the 5th best quarterback in the class.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

Sammy Watkins was considered like near a perfect prospect

Remember that time he burned Richard Sherman? That was cool.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

MJeff posted:

Remember that time he burned Richard Sherman? That was cool.

Well I'm the best corner in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver like.......Watkins..... that's the result your gonna get!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Sataere posted:

Vikings the last couple of years have tried trading up and been unable to for their guys. Vikings aren't going to settle for the 5th best quarterback in the class.

Sure but you are probably talking about having to trade a ton for the fourth qb in McCarthy. Is he a guy you want to give up a ton for and also is he actually better than Penix?

I don’t see how the Vikings could put together a package that the Patriots would accept, especially if it is Maye sitting there. It would need to be a better package than the Bears got last year as the Patriots have no quarterback and it would drop them farther down than the Bears did, plus drops the Pats out of the top tier of players in this draft. Even if the Vikings offered a bounty of first rounders, they wouldn’t be good first rounders as the Vikings should be a playoff or near playoff team with a solid qb. And the Bears also got a mid 20s WR1 in the deal.

So you are talking yourself into McCarthy while competing against teams around you for his rights like Denver, who will be even more desperate and irrational than the Vikings. I guess you gotta really love McCarthy, which I don’t so I would just go with Penix without sacrificing the farm yet.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Hand Row posted:

Sure but you are probably talking about having to trade a ton for the fourth qb in McCarthy. Is he a guy you want to give up a ton for and also is he actually better than Penix?

I don’t see how the Vikings could put together a package that the Patriots would accept, especially if it is Maye sitting there. It would need to be a better package than the Bears got last year as the Patriots have no quarterback and it would drop them farther down than the Bears did, plus drops the Pats out of the top tier of players in this draft. Even if the Vikings offered a bounty of first rounders, they wouldn’t be good first rounders as the Vikings should be a playoff or near playoff team with a solid qb. And the Bears also got a mid 20s WR1 in the deal.

So you are talking yourself into McCarthy while competing against teams around you for his rights like Denver, who will be even more desperate and irrational than the Vikings. I guess you gotta really love McCarthy, which I don’t so I would just go with Penix without sacrificing the farm yet.

Seems like the going theory amongst the pods I listen to is that the Pats have nothing, so why pick a QB when you have massive holes everywhere? Trade down for a haul so you can flush out a roster then get a QB after.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Hand Row posted:

I am going to laugh my rear end off when some team picks JJ unless it's Minnesota in which case I'm going to go stare at a wall.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SirPablo posted:

Seems like the going theory amongst the pods I listen to is that the Pats have nothing, so why pick a QB when you have massive holes everywhere? Trade down for a haul so you can flush out a roster then get a QB after.

A lot of people seem convinced that this is what the Pats should do but I’m not really convinced it’s what they will do. Having a top 3 pick in a class with 3 legit prospects isn’t an opportunity that comes around often and building a roster without a QB just gets you to where the Vikings are, on the outside looking in and hoping someone drops or that you can make a trade so you aren’t stuck starting Sam Darnold.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Hey remember kevin white? The second wr taken in 2015.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

Hey remember kevin white? The second wr taken in 2015.

tbf his injuries murdered any chance he had.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Yeah every "sure thing" has a Greg Oden clause attached.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's not like it's Detroit in Detroit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah every "sure thing" has a Greg Oden clause attached.

The Greg Oden draft is still wild to me because dude was 19 going on 40 and everyone just kind of pretended that wasn’t the case.