Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

War Wizard posted:

I dodged 7 hits in a row on the final 3D brawler and he just never opens for a hit. I don't usually care to mod games, but the minigames in this all need a rework.

His first opening will always be after one of his combos when he's exhausted. In my winning attempt he only let down his guard once and every other punch was from exhaustion after a combo.

e: rewatching, he let it down twice actually, for the second and fourth hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

He's also a dick with a short opening for you to actually hit him, which I have to respect.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Yeah I'm pretty sure the first hit comes after 7 regular attacks and a rush string of 5.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat the game and I’ll keep the story stuff to the spoiler thread but this is one of my favorite games in a long time

Gameplay stuff: missing some open world things, is 100% necessary to just get through Gilgamesh and the extra combat sim fights ?

What’s the quickest way to level up (materia and actual leveling?)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I beat the game and I’ll keep the story stuff to the spoiler thread but this is one of my favorite games in a long time

Gameplay stuff: missing some open world things, is 100% necessary to just get through Gilgamesh and the extra combat sim fights ?

There's a route in gongaga that people use or a fight in one of the final areas that gives an insane amount of xp and has a checkpoint right before it if you just wanna purely grind it (takes like a 30-40 minutes), a quick youtube will find those actual methods or another more recent one probably that someone has mathed out but tbh when you beat the game and then access chapter select, if you then go about finishing off whatever bits you still have left to do, especially the arena fights, they'll get you up there while also progressing stuff you need/want to do anyway and I think AP gains are increased massively as well.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

100% open world is, technically, only necessary for buying out Chadley's materia shop, but to fully unlock the combat sims you will need to fight all the rare fiends and all the classified fiends, for which finding all the towers and lifesprings is not literally required but will help a lot, and to fight Greg. To fight Greg you need all the protorelics and I think to fully unlock all the summon shrines even if you skip them and beat the summons at full strength. Also you will want to forge the final accessories that become available, for which you will need max crafting level, for which you will need the lifesprings again. You can level up fairly snappily by flipping to Dynamic or Hard and repeating a rare fiend fight that's fast. Pro tip: the EXP Up materia applies to the entire party. For AP, the fastest currently known loop is to turn on easy mode, equip Swift Magnify Firaga and HP<->MP and run from the abandoned port in Gongaga to the Mog House clearing out the four formations present there, then fast travel to another region, then fast travel back and repeat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1778673470882398372

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fedule posted:

100% open world is, technically, only necessary for buying out Chadley's materia shop, but to fully unlock the combat sims you will need to fight all the rare fiends and all the classified fiends, for which finding all the towers and lifesprings is not literally required but will help a lot, and to fight Greg. To fight Greg you need all the protorelics and I think to fully unlock all the summon shrines even if you skip them and beat the summons at full strength. Also you will want to forge the final accessories that become available, for which you will need max crafting level, for which you will need the lifesprings again. You can level up fairly snappily by flipping to Dynamic or Hard and repeating a rare fiend fight that's fast. Pro tip: the EXP Up materia applies to the entire party. For AP, the fastest currently known loop is to turn on easy mode, equip Swift Magnify Firaga and HP<->MP and run from the abandoned port in Gongaga to the Mog House clearing out the four formations present there, then fast travel to another region, then fast travel back and repeat.

Super useful! Thanks. Seems like side quests aren’t required? I did all of them except for the gliding in cosmo canyon and the mako stuff in cosmo canyon and the chocobo races. I have no interest in 100% mini games although I guess I do need the Golden saucer points for the good accessories

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Side quests sometimes have a unique monster that counts towards the VR missions for that region, so if it looks like you've done everything but are still short on the monster count you may need to do the local side missions too.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

There's a sidequest in Nibelheim where you fight a bunch of bees. The queen will continually spawn 4 bees. You can get a lot] of AP and XP just killing those bees as they spawn and ignoring the queen.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
I think the brawler minigame would be miserable if you couldnt pause but since you can its pretty fun

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Had to give up on Two Feet? Nothing To It. I'll probably come back to it. Tilting as gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Had to give up on Two Feet? Nothing To It. I'll probably come back to it. Tilting as gently caress

ragtime? more like ragetime

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Is this confirming DLC for Rebirth, or is it talking about Intermission for Remake?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I read that as talking about intermission for the DLC note.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gears and Gambits feels bad... like there's a penalty for having too many units attacking the boss when i feel like i'm not doing any damage to it as it is?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah trying to play around the boss buffing itself if too many robots are attacking it is a red herring, just bust out robots and you'll overpower the boss despite its buffs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah it seems easier just using the auto-recommended loadouts but it seems to defeat the purpose of having them be programmable lol

Like, what is the difference between Foe: Airborne and Airborne Foe Priority lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah it seems easier just using the auto-recommended loadouts but it seems to defeat the purpose of having them be programmable lol

Like, what is the difference between Foe: Airborne and Airborne Foe Priority lol

One is "Only use this on airborn foe" and the other is "Aim for airborn foe if one is present, otherwise other foe."

(This kind of distinction is immensely important in Unicorn Overlord which is just the FF12/G&G gambit system but good.)

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Lmao there's a resting bench and vending machine in the gotdamn [Cosmo Canyon spoiler]Village of the Gi

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The first six-person fight in the coliseum you fight 10 thugs at the same time and can beat them in 5 seconds. It's a quick AP loop but won't net you much XP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Lmao there's a resting bench and vending machine in the gotdamn [Cosmo Canyon spoiler]Village of the Gi

The vending machine is actually some kind of stone tablet. There's a few places like that where there just happens to be a magical vending machine and it owns.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ImpAtom posted:

The vending machine is actually some kind of stone tablet. There's a few places like that where there just happens to be a magical vending machine and it owns.

Yeah granted the vending machine is that, but the bench is a straight-up park bench. It also owns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ok i beat all the gears and gambits stages by just "tank rushing"... i guess you actually have to get better at it to do Hard Mode but just like with Fort Condor.... if it's not gonna check the world completion bar I'lll probably not do it lol

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just beat the game and was just kinda cold on the whole thing. It might have to do with the fact that the final boss battles just kept going.

On that note, is the party composition always set for each portion, or can it vary? Because I ended up with some wild party compositions at a couple points.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did the Corel protorelic quests last and the resulting cutscenes specifically mentioned it? And I came back and did it later and Red 13 had the Nanaki voice? Does this game have a million voice lines for every scenario

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I did the Corel protorelic quests last and the resulting cutscenes specifically mentioned it? And I came back and did it later and Red 13 had the Nanaki voice? Does this game have a million voice lines for every scenario

It has a ton.

A fun thing about the Nanaki Voice:
In the original FF7, there were actually an entire second set of lines for Red XIII after you go to CC vs before you go to CC, including for places you'd almost never visit.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Though the second half of the Corel protorelic is locked until the end of the game, so I think those specifically only have 1 set of lines.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Odin wasnt too bad but definitely a lot harder than previous summons. The trick was to use Yuffie, Tifa and Red because they have the best dodge moves and Yuffie can just Brumal Form.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ok i beat all the gears and gambits stages by just "tank rushing"... i guess you actually have to get better at it to do Hard Mode but just like with Fort Condor.... if it's not gonna check the world completion bar I'lll probably not do it lol

You have to do both hard modes to max out your party level. The trick to G&G Hard is strategy doesn't matter. Make a robot of each element, with both the regular and -ga attacks, a way to deal with fliers, and then some passive buffs, with a Lariat if they've got a spare slot after all that. Then just deploy robots to counter the element of the slimes that spawn.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just beat the game and was just kinda cold on the whole thing. It might have to do with the fact that the final boss battles just kept going.

On that note, is the party composition always set for each portion, or can it vary? Because I ended up with some wild party compositions at a couple points.

Party comps depend on your relationship statuses with the characters apparently

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Do I need a max party level though....

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gruckles posted:

Though the second half of the Corel protorelic is locked until the end of the game, so I think those specifically only have 1 set of lines.

Ah in that case slightly less impressed lol, I did it last just because the mini game was so annoying to me

I tried the summon fights and oof. Oof. I’ll get to 70 before I try again

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do I need a max party level though....

I'm more motivated to get my party to max level than I am to try and plat this game BC it drives.me mad that I don't have all the abilities but that might be a specifically different mental illness to needing to 100% a game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I still havent finished the game but I just skip all nodes that are boring like 3% more damage and do not feel compelled to complete the whole thing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I struggled to beat a classified fiend in hard and it turns out the materials you get are different from the materials you need for the better versions of the accessories. Oops

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A miracle has occurred: Square Enix have actually amended some of their legendarily bad menu writing. I guess they finally felt some shame over it.

Love how it still says "resume" in the game over menu. Baby steps.

Wonder if they'll ever change any of the lying Assess screens, or the phrase "three types of ability".

Also, has anyone checked if Red Dragon Hard Mode is fixed, assuming, since we're still not even sure, it even was a glitch?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
They also use the word embiggen to describe one of Aerith and cait siths synergy moves it rules

I've never had a problem with the after battle menu because the top option is the only one you ever need it's pretty easy

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's in order of most recent to least recent but I do agree it was very unclear and I fell victim to it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

big mean giraffe posted:

They also use the word embiggen to describe one of Aerith and cait siths synergy moves it rules

I've never had a problem with the after battle menu because the top option is the only one you ever need it's pretty easy

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest cat.