Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Disco Pope posted:

This looks like a good bet - some of it is familiar, there's a red guy and a blue guy and I could see myself misremembering the moving clouds at the end as fighting on a plane. I always assumed it was an SNK game, so that lead me down dead-ends when searching!

Break out, break out fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
There was a game my father got me way back in the DOS days. In it, you were a guy riding a motorcycle, it was 3rd person, and everything had a very simple geometric look to it. I remember it kinda reminded me of Spectre, but a little more detailed than that. But it was a big empty world with big geometric ramps and things you could ride your motorcycle over. I don't remember what the point of the game was... but I do remember you could build your own level. Again, mostly just simple shapes, no textures I don't think, just colors. And you were a dude on a bike. Man, I don't remember anything about this game but those details, but it's driving me nuts.

Spectre but on a bike
Could ride off ramps and stuff, it had verticality in a way Spectre didn't
Level customization

Any ideas?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Excitebike

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cyberbykes: Shadow Racer VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azu6hVISnNw&t=214s

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

credburn posted:

Spectre but on a bike
Could ride off ramps and stuff, it had verticality in a way Spectre didn't
Level customization

Sounds like Cyberbykes, a game I only ever played the demo for but I also did not quite understand what the point was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azu6hVISnNw&t=215s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Ah that's it! Thanks, gang!

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I played this game maybe ten, fifteen years ago.

There was a kind of stereotypical RPG town with different shops and things, I remember it looking like just a fancy picture with different places you could go into, like you would make your selections on that screen instead of actually wandering through a town.. The central concept was there was some kind of dungeon you had to go into that would re-arrange itself every time you went in. I think there was some kind of aging mechanic. The first dungeon floor I remember was pretty 3D with rooms going above and below other rooms on the same floor, and it was balls to the walls hard. It wasn't anything as old school as a Wizardry title. Felt more like that BBS game Usurper come to life than a standard game.

This is not a lot to go on, sorry.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

pesty13480 posted:

I played this game maybe ten, fifteen years ago.

There was a kind of stereotypical RPG town with different shops and things, I remember it looking like just a fancy picture with different places you could go into, like you would make your selections on that screen instead of actually wandering through a town.. The central concept was there was some kind of dungeon you had to go into that would re-arrange itself every time you went in. I think there was some kind of aging mechanic. The first dungeon floor I remember was pretty 3D with rooms going above and below other rooms on the same floor, and it was balls to the walls hard. It wasn't anything as old school as a Wizardry title. Felt more like that BBS game Usurper come to life than a standard game.

This is not a lot to go on, sorry.

Sounds like Demise: Ascension?

I'm playing it right now, just last year an expansion/sequel/new version was released called Demise: Revenge of the Tavern Keeper (just as Ascension was a sequel to the Rise of the Ku'uthan, all the previous content is included, but you have to buy it again; also it works better on Windows 10/11).

Aging is a central mechanic to the game, has about the esthetics you're describing, it's pretty drat hard, the dungeon is quite 3D, especially the newer areas and it tends to feel like I'm playing some bad fantasy fiction about virtual reality fantasy games come to life, which is actually pretty cool. There's also a central town like you're describing.

Does not have an entirely rearranging dungeon, but it does get populated/treasured differently each run. Otherwise meets your description I think. The dungeon is also ginormous, easily several hundred hours worth, as you'd expect from a game that's been in development for over 20 years.

e: Am phoneposting right now so sorry about the lack of links and screenshots, I'll edit some in in a bit. You can get a demo of the new version which you can then import into the full game, since it's a bit pricey. Also your old key should still work on the main website, but you won't have access to the new content and a few QoL improvements.

e2: It could also be Mordor 2 which is a prequel to the game from the early 90s that got C&D by the Tolkien Foundation but is still available with some fan patches. The mechanics are mostly identical so if it was that you might consider giving Demise a try too.

e3: This is the official website for it: https://www.decklinsdemise.com/. It hasn't changed much in the last 20 years since it's just one indie dev working on it, but it's fully functional/legitimate. Also even though the purchase says you only get to download the installer for 3 days or whatever, you will get a key in your purchase email that you can then use to download the game and all updates to it (the one I'm playing on is from 28th March 2024, so that's a relevant consideration) from the main site indefinitely. The whole thing is just a bit clunky, about as much as an average grognard strategy game.

e4: It might also be Devil Whiskey from the same dev, he's been remaking the same game for a long time. There's a couple other modern-ish dungeon crawlers like Wizards and Warriors, Might and Magic, Legend of Grimrock, Brany Skeldalu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWXw-98x3QM), Elminage: Gothic, Etrian Odyssey, Arx Fatalis and Dungeon Lords; for the most part I don't think those would fit your description better, but they do share some of the characteristics.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2024

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Private Speech posted:

Sounds like Demise: Ascension?

I'm playing it right now, just last year an expansion/sequel/new version was released called Demise: Revenge of the Tavern Keeper (just as Ascension was a sequel to the Rise of the Ku'uthan, all the previous content is included, but you have to buy it again; also it works better on Windows 10/11).

Friend, you are 100% right with this, this is exactly the title I was thinking about! I am absolutely head-over-heels in love that you were able to figure this out based on what felt like fever dream memories. Much appreciated for that and the glorious write-up.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

pesty13480 posted:

Friend, you are 100% right with this, this is exactly the title I was thinking about! I am absolutely head-over-heels in love that you were able to figure this out based on what felt like fever dream memories. Much appreciated for that and the glorious write-up.

If you do decide to give it a go again I'll post a couple useful links below, it can be tricky to find out information about the game these days.

Here is the old SA thread for the game, it's been pain to find when I tried to last month, has some useful tips: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3403552

The official forums are also quite helpful: https://forum.decklinsdomain.info/phpbb/index.php

As is the zimlab fanpage: https://www.zimlab.com/demise/

The internal help pages bundled with the game help as well.

e: One more thing, I had to run the Win 11 compatibility troubleshooter (available from the right click menu on the main "revenge.exe" executable) to get it to work the first time on Windows 11. I haven't had any issues afterwards though. Also you need your windows regional settings set to "English (United States)" otherwise you'll get some text encoding issues; this is pretty common for Japanese games especially so it should be easy to google how to do it if you don't know how.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 7, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
a platformer(?) about an Italian-American plumber who steps on turtles/kappas and shoots fireballs if he eats flowers. it was mushroom themed, I think?

I dont remember much else about it other than I played it on the NES in late 1988 and it was a dual cart that also had the game Duck Hunt

I asked my buddy and he seems to recall playing something similar but it came with Duck Hunt and World Class Track Meet? around 1990 or so

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

wizard2 posted:

a platformer(?) about an Italian-American plumber who steps on turtles/kappas and shoots fireballs if he eats flowers. it was mushroom themed, I think?

I dont remember much else about it other than I played it on the NES in late 1988 and it was a dual cart that also had the game Duck Hunt

I asked my buddy and he seems to recall playing something similar but it came with Duck Hunt and World Class Track Meet? around 1990 or so

Jump Man

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

wizard2 posted:

Super Mario Bros.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

wizard2 posted:

Dunno what the plumber and duck stuff is all about but this sounds like the Great Gianna Sisters to me

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

wizard2 posted:

The Great Giana Sisters

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Going nuts on this one: Atari 400 (or maybe Amiga but I think Atari) motorcycle stunt game. The viewpoint is fixed-perspective 3rd person at a roughly tilted 45 degree angle, pulled pretty far back. Game is basically driving over ramps, loops, etc on a big map, no other racers. Controls are little more than single-button stop go, turning is challenging. May have been a gas meter that runs down. Not even sure what the "point" was - driving around and going over jumps for the sake of it? Map was basically green grass, white ramps.

Not Motorbike Madness.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Zachack posted:

Going nuts on this one: Atari 400 (or maybe Amiga but I think Atari) motorcycle stunt game. The viewpoint is fixed-perspective 3rd person at a roughly tilted 45 degree angle, pulled pretty far back. Game is basically driving over ramps, loops, etc on a big map, no other racers. Controls are little more than single-button stop go, turning is challenging. May have been a gas meter that runs down. Not even sure what the "point" was - driving around and going over jumps for the sake of it? Map was basically green grass, white ramps.

Not Motorbike Madness.

Sounds very much like Action Biker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af4S_Cu1_fU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Zachack posted:

Not Motorbike Madness.

Super Mario Bros.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

boof posted:

Sounds very much like Action Biker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af4S_Cu1_fU

holy poo poo this was it.

holy poo poo

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Zachack posted:

holy poo poo this was it.

holy poo poo

Are you sure it's not Super Mario Bros

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Just thought of the first game I ever played on the Game Boy, but I can't remember the title.

It was a F1 racing game, released somewhere before 1998. The very distinct thing I remember about it was that the camera perspective was set in the cockpit, with you seeing your hands on the steering wheel and a good view of the two front tires. It was fake 3D, and kid me found it impossible to handle.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Was it Nigel Mansell's World Championship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjTfAzewkM

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Pulsarcat posted:

Was it Nigel Mansell's World Championship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjTfAzewkM

Holy poo poo, that's it! Looking at it, I'm not surprised that I spend most of my time in the gravel...

Going to fire this up again, see how it aged. Thanks!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i saw footage of this arcade(?) puzzle game once where you had to like, kick colored blocks up a field to form diagonal patterns of colors? as you formed the patterns they turned into like, cities and towns and stuff, and you had to 'close off' the pattern with another color to score with it iirc. the artstyle was very 90s anime pretty boys and the characters were all like, wizards. they all had their own building styles, like there was this necromancer dude who made pyramids. anyone know what im talking about?

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Another weird one.

A point and click adventure game. It was set on a train, with pixel art, had to have been at least 10+ years ago. They weren't saying anything but it's clear that the protagonist was some kind of alcoholic. There was a weird demon creature in the cart next to where your protagonist woke up. There was like a restaurant or bar at one of end of the train and yadda yadda the guy was struggling with his drinking or something. I don't even remember it being any good but I never finished it and it has been at the edge of my memory for a while.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

pesty13480 posted:

Another weird one.

A point and click adventure game. It was set on a train, with pixel art, had to have been at least 10+ years ago. They weren't saying anything but it's clear that the protagonist was some kind of alcoholic. There was a weird demon creature in the cart next to where your protagonist woke up. There was like a restaurant or bar at one of end of the train and yadda yadda the guy was struggling with his drinking or something. I don't even remember it being any good but I never finished it and it has been at the edge of my memory for a while.

Bit of a stab in the dark - The Charnel House Trilogy?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Private Speech posted:

e4: It might also be Devil Whiskey from the same dev, he's been remaking the same game for a long time.

Devil Whiskey! Haha I remember that game! That was one of the first games I bought with my own money once I had a real job and a credit card. I remember it being hard as balls.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Endorph posted:

i saw footage of this arcade(?) puzzle game once where you had to like, kick colored blocks up a field to form diagonal patterns of colors? as you formed the patterns they turned into like, cities and towns and stuff, and you had to 'close off' the pattern with another color to score with it iirc. the artstyle was very 90s anime pretty boys and the characters were all like, wizards. they all had their own building styles, like there was this necromancer dude who made pyramids. anyone know what im talking about?

Pengo or possibly Qix

pesty13480 posted:

Another weird one.

Murder on the Orient Express

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Endorph posted:

Landmaker! I loved that game.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

boof posted:

Bit of a stab in the dark - The Charnel House Trilogy?

That's it, that's immediately it.

Thank you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Landmaker! I loved that game.

thats the one! thank you

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I think this game was from an Atari system, or at least some other pre NES console.

It was a space game with a cockpit view, and I only really remember two things from it:

1) One of the enemies you fought looked like a big rectangle with a circle in the center and it fired a ring shaped beam at you.

2) To recharge your energy/shields you had to warp to a star and sit there for a bit, but if you stayed after you fully recharged you took damage.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Pulsarcat posted:

I think this game was from an Atari system, or at least some other pre NES console.

It was a space game with a cockpit view, and I only really remember two things from it:

1) One of the enemies you fought looked like a big rectangle with a circle in the center and it fired a ring shaped beam at you.

2) To recharge your energy/shields you had to warp to a star and sit there for a bit, but if you stayed after you fully recharged you took damage.

Star Raiders?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Zachack posted:

Star Raiders?

I think that just might be it.
It's not exactly what I remember, but these memories are nearly 40 years old now.

Thank you!

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

It's not exactly what I remember, but these memories are nearly 40 years old now.

Might be Star Raiders II / The Last Starfighter (how I knew and played it) instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a few first person spaceship sims on atari surprisingly, try star voyager, space attack, phaser patrol, and starmaster

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

or rescue on fractalus

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

westborn posted:

Might be Star Raiders II / The Last Starfighter (how I knew and played it) instead.

YES!

This is absolutely it, I remember the warp effect and it has the enemy ship I remember!

Thank you very much!

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024
Apple II

Kind of a 49rs theme text mode game where you buy mining supplies and dig or pan for gold. Part I remember the most is a spinning cursor as you dig. At the end it would tell you if you made money or starved to death.

Played in my math class in the early 80s with Math Blaster.

I'd love to play this today. I've hit a lot of AppleII archive sites and never seen it. Just want to starve to death again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Could it be Goldfields?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/166622/goldfields/screenshots/