Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

New Japan trusts Moxley and he's not on Dynasty so I can see him doing Dontaku and the Dominion build. Plus BOSJ tour doesn't need the Heavyweight champ

I believe he'll be around till Dominion at least

Yeah, NJPW was his first stop after the bad place and he did a G1. He hasn't been heavily featured in AEW lately so now is a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Essentially for me if he does dontaku that's fine because njpw goes into the bosj after that. If he does the whole golden week tour im very happy.

I'm certainly not anti mox and he was very over in Tokyo the other day. It's just njpws position is somewhat precarious it needs to be noted. Naito has a lot of goodwill in Japan more than I think people here might appreciate.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

moxley is set for Dontaku, Kizuna Road, and Dominion for those worried.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If I wrote a big effortpost as to why I don't think the Nooj crew need to worry about Mox being an absentee champ, would people actually read it, or are they gonna just still be salty?

Because like I said, as someone who watches both NJPW and AEW, I had a gut feeling this might happen for months. This is not just hindsight.

Id read it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If I wrote a big effortpost as to why I don't think the Nooj crew need to worry about Mox being an absentee champ, would people actually read it, or are they gonna just still be salty?

Because like I said, as someone who watches both NJPW and AEW, I had a gut feeling this might happen for months. This is not just hindsight.

:justpost:

I also thought it was a possibility, but more because I just thought it would be cool and I gotta be honest, I've reached a point in my life where I simply just do not give a poo poo about what is good for business or is financially sensible because I just wanna see a show I enjoy and it ain't my job to worry about that stuff. Mox seems like the kind of guy who is gonna go,"Okay I'm the champ, time to go do a bunch of shows in Japan!" and it's part of why I think he's great. If he doesn't... well that'll be disappointing, but I can't imagine these considerations weren't taken into account between the two promotions and also, again, it isn't my problem!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

At this point jon moxley has to be up there as one of the most decorated wrestlers of all time

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
DEATH RIDER BABY LETS FUCKIN GO

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

SamuraiFoochs posted:

BUT THE TICKET SAALLLEESSSS

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

STING 64 posted:

moxley is set for Dontaku, Kizuna Road, and Dominion for those worried.

If he's doing kizuna road that means he's likely doing the entire Golden week run. If that's the case thumbs up

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Tweak posted:

BUT THE TICKET SAALLLEESSSS

Believe it or not I'd rather wrestling in Japan not die mate

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Aew, after covid is the worst thing to ever happen to njpw. Now I get to watch Stardom follow the same path of surrendering their dignity to Tony Kahn. Just great

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
This is a real test of Moxley's drawing power, He himself has been Good to Great In the US and seems to be good in the one off Mexico match (2 others big ex wwe names too) so the real test is if he's on top and actually doing Japan dates is how those draw.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If he's doing kizuna road that means he's likely doing the entire Golden week run. If that's the case thumbs up

Agreed.

There's no chance i'll be as annoyed as the last time New Japan gave Moxley a belt, so theres that at least

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Mox Office Draw

SG Bamboo posted:

Agreed.

There's no chance i'll be as annoyed as the last time New Japan gave Moxley a belt, so theres that at least

last two times Moxley held IWGP gold a typhoon took his title away and then covid happened

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Believe it or not I'd rather wrestling in Japan not die mate

the blood on moxley’s hands will be more than his own now

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

KungFu Grip posted:

Mox Office Draw

last two times Moxley held IWGP gold a typhoon took his title away and then covid happened

Covid took 4 months away sure, then he spent a further 8 months not defending the belt despite them holding a fair few Strong shows during that period. Surely the company could have asked him to go to California at least once during that period to do a match

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Huh, 3/5 of the singles champs are foreign. I guess 3/6 if we count KopW.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shard posted:

At this point jon moxley has to be up there as one of the most decorated wrestlers of all time

Deservedly so, Mox loving rules.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Stall_19 posted:

Aew, after covid is the worst thing to ever happen to njpw. Now I get to watch Stardom follow the same path of surrendering their dignity to Tony Kahn. Just great

Lmao.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Tweak posted:

the blood on moxley’s hands will be more than his own now

Blud the industry is extremely precarious right now. I even said I liked moxley and having the top champion work one of the promotions bigger tours is sorta the absolute minimum no ? I'm not demanding he lives in Japan forever

Box office concerns are perfectly valid

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Stall_19 posted:

that's partially new japan/bushiroads fault too. too cheap to pay their top guys

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
:lmao:
:3:
https://x.com/drainbamager/status/1779001442927522274?s=46

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

So njpw is that much of a bitch in this relationship

Stall_19 posted:

They take all your top stars and now you give them your top title. Pathetic

Stall_19 posted:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Love them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This rules :)

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Blud the industry is extremely precarious right now. I even said I liked moxley and having the top champion work one of the promotions bigger tours is sorta the absolute minimum no ? I'm not demanding he lives in Japan forever

Box office concerns are perfectly valid

it’s all over bruv

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

Mox Office Draw

we're dead.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dunno why people are up in arms, mox has a separate njpw contract that has been in place more or less since he left wwe in 2019. he's as much an njpw guy as ELP.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

STING 64 posted:

i dunno why people are up in arms, mox has a separate njpw contract that has been in place more or less since he left wwe in 2019. he's as much an njpw guy as ELP.

I'd probably not want elp to be iwgp champion right now either

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
NJPW is likely very happy that AEW frequently lends them their talents, thinks it's good business to have Moxley do a bunch of shows in Japan, and is relieved that TK is footing the bill for the top stars who they can't afford anymore by signing them (I'd imagine Ospreay and Okada will still do Wrestle Kingdom once in a while).

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
NJPW will be fine with Mox as champ for a few months this year I promise.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bushiroad execs begging Gedo not to put the belt on an absentee outsider champion when the company is on the brink of failure, but they're powerless to stop him because the booker rules above all

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Long-Time Lurker posted:

NJPW is likely very happy that AEW frequently lends them their talents, thinks it's good business to have Moxley do a bunch of shows in Japan, and is relieved that TK is footing the bill for the top stars who they can't afford anymore by signing them (I'd imagine Ospreay and Okada will still do Wrestle Kingdom once in a while).

Then njpw is stupid.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shard posted:

Id read it

The VERY first rumbling I had that this might be in the cards was when Nemeth won the Global Title off Finlay, believe it or not. Why, I asked myself, would NJPW have a truly random outsider win the title that Moxley and Ospreay had gone out of their way to make a huge deal? Maybe, I said to myself, because Mox was about to do something bigger than that.

So I really started to feel like something was off when Mox wasn't on ANY AEW programming like, two weeks after Revolution, and when he and Claudio weren't even in the tag tournament. Hell, even in the lead-up to Revolution, Mox appearances felt almost cursory. First he was moving down the card, and then he literally wasn't there at all.

I REALLY started to get an inkling something might be up when even commentary on AEW TV basically never spoke of Mox outside of a handful of times. Then Battle In The Valley happened and Mox was almost crying with emotion when he called out Naito. As a ginormous Mox mark, I've noticed, he has a different energy about him when he's well and truly fired up. When he really has a fire in his belly, it hits different. The Naito callout was one of those. I suspect everyone involved knew then that Mox was going to beat Naito. It felt insane for me to think that but I had a suspicion. Then he continued to not be on AEW TV. With every passing week, I began to think more and more that what was happening here was he was at home with his family for a couple of months because everyone knew he'd spend at least the next couple months in Japan.

When NJPW released that mini-doc promo thing, I was all but positive, because the way Renee speaks in that package, it's like she already knew it was gonna happen, which obviously she would, because she's his wife and the mother of his very young daughter. If Mox had been being regularly booked on AEW television over the last month and a half, I'd absolutely agree with everyone here questioning the decision. But even in his autobiography, Mox talks about NJPW revitalizing his love of pro wrestling before AEW had even put on a show. New Japan was the place where Jon Moxley was reintroduced to the world. AEW might have been where he's spent MOST of his time, but you never forget your first.

I also suspect Naito may have actually had interest in doing this. Why? This was Mox's dream. This was something he wanted to do for himself and his legacy. Naito just had his own equivalent of that in the whole WK saga. I honestly feel like tonight might have been Naito saying "I got my dream, now I'm gonna pay it forward and give someone else theirs."

I genuinely don't get the whole narrative of "Oh, Tony is taking NJPW over a barrel here." Mox, at least for the last month and a half, has been more of an NJPW guy than an AEW one. And if you read the comments under the JAPANESE upload of that hype package, the Japanese fans don't REALLY see Mox as much of an outsider anymore. They love him, and they feel the fact that he respects NJPW and brings his all to the promotion any time he's there, and will work with anyone, vet to young boy, and put his whole soul in getting them over in the process. Hell, he basically had a HUGE part in molding one of the guys they see as a potential future Ace. I think that matters.

Naito and Tanahashi have both put Mox over huge at this point. Do any of you really think they'd have done that if they believed Jon Moxley to be the type to half-rear end anything? gently caress no. Fact is, Mox hasn't been on AEW TV in a month and a half, and has barely even been mentioned. My guess is what's happening here is they're gonna have him do a short run as a full-time champ to let him have his dream of the Global Triple Crown and to maybe draw some more American eyes to NJPW World, then he drops the title in a couple months tops, maybe even in a rematch with Naito at FD, then Mox returns to being an AEW guy primarily again. I love the idea of Mox doing another G1, but honestly I think he'll drop it before then.

I think what probably happened is, Jon expressed a desire to do this to TK and the NJPW higher ups literally months ago, and everyone agreed. TK, out of respect for both the full-time AEW folks who weren't about to become top champ in another company, started working Mox down the card a bit, letting other AEW talents grow and shine and also letting Jon start to take something of a vacation and spend time with his family. That started in earnest after Revolution, and then here we are.

If y'all can stomach an EVIL run, I think Mox will do just fine, and I don't think it's gonna be a long run, so just enjoy the ride.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

You guys are being really weird about genuine concerns about the industry in japan. It's a discussion point.

Njpw has been up about 15% this year through naito. They have good momentum. Maybe mox will continue the momentum. I just said it was risky. I don't get the weird push back

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Bruv

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God that belt loving sucks. Mox’s first move should be to go back to the old IWGP Title, which was a perfect belt.

Also kind of want a Death Jitsu shirt, mostly because our cat growing up was named Jitsu and she is dead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good read, Foochs!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If y'all can stomach an EVIL run

I can't.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think Mox will do just fine

I do too!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't think it's gonna be a long run, so just enjoy the ride.

I will!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

You guys are being really weird about genuine concerns about the industry in japan. It's a discussion point.

Njpw has been up about 15% this year through naito. They have good momentum. Maybe mox will continue the momentum. I just said it was risky. I don't get the weird push back

I just think they're fully aware of Naito's popularity, and they know exactly how well their own business is doing and what Moxley's availability is and the potential ramifications of not having a top champion on the upcoming cards, and all that went into the decision to book this outcome. Not saying the powers that be are infallible, and there's probably some risk in this as there is for any booking decision, but if there was any fear that swapping the title could have major ramifications on the long-term health of the company they presumably just wouldn't do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The VERY first rumbling I had that this might be in the cards was when Nemeth won the Global Title off Finlay, believe it or not. Why, I asked myself, would NJPW have a truly random outsider win the title that Moxley and Ospreay had gone out of their way to make a huge deal? Maybe, I said to myself, because Mox was about to do something bigger than that.

So I really started to feel like something was off when Mox wasn't on ANY AEW programming like, two weeks after Revolution, and when he and Claudio weren't even in the tag tournament. Hell, even in the lead-up to Revolution, Mox appearances felt almost cursory. First he was moving down the card, and then he literally wasn't there at all.

I REALLY started to get an inkling something might be up when even commentary on AEW TV basically never spoke of Mox outside of a handful of times. Then Battle In The Valley happened and Mox was almost crying with emotion when he called out Naito. As a ginormous Mox mark, I've noticed, he has a different energy about him when he's well and truly fired up. When he really has a fire in his belly, it hits different. The Naito callout was one of those. I suspect everyone involved knew then that Mox was going to beat Naito. It felt insane for me to think that but I had a suspicion. Then he continued to not be on AEW TV. With every passing week, I began to think more and more that what was happening here was he was at home with his family for a couple of months because everyone knew he'd spend at least the next couple months in Japan.

When NJPW released that mini-doc promo thing, I was all but positive, because the way Renee speaks in that package, it's like she already knew it was gonna happen, which obviously she would, because she's his wife and the mother of his very young daughter. If Mox had been being regularly booked on AEW television over the last month and a half, I'd absolutely agree with everyone here questioning the decision. But even in his autobiography, Mox talks about NJPW revitalizing his love of pro wrestling before AEW had even put on a show. New Japan was the place where Jon Moxley was reintroduced to the world. AEW might have been where he's spent MOST of his time, but you never forget your first.

I also suspect Naito may have actually had interest in doing this. Why? This was Mox's dream. This was something he wanted to do for himself and his legacy. Naito just had his own equivalent of that in the whole WK saga. I honestly feel like tonight might have been Naito saying "I got my dream, now I'm gonna pay it forward and give someone else theirs."

I genuinely don't get the whole narrative of "Oh, Tony is taking NJPW over a barrel here." Mox, at least for the last month and a half, has been more of an NJPW guy than an AEW one. And if you read the comments under the JAPANESE upload of that hype package, the Japanese fans don't REALLY see Mox as much of an outsider anymore. They love him, and they feel the fact that he respects NJPW and brings his all to the promotion any time he's there, and will work with anyone, vet to young boy, and put his whole soul in getting them over in the process. Hell, he basically had a HUGE part in molding one of the guys they see as a potential future Ace. I think that matters.

Naito and Tanahashi have both put Mox over huge at this point. Do any of you really think they'd have done that if they believed Jon Moxley to be the type to half-rear end anything? gently caress no. Fact is, Mox hasn't been on AEW TV in a month and a half, and has barely even been mentioned. My guess is what's happening here is they're gonna have him do a short run as a full-time champ to let him have his dream of the Global Triple Crown and to maybe draw some more American eyes to NJPW World, then he drops the title in a couple months tops, maybe even in a rematch with Naito at FD, then Mox returns to being an AEW guy primarily again. I love the idea of Mox doing another G1, but honestly I think he'll drop it before then.

I think what probably happened is, Jon expressed a desire to do this to TK and the NJPW higher ups literally months ago, and everyone agreed. TK, out of respect for both the full-time AEW folks who weren't about to become top champ in another company, started working Mox down the card a bit, letting other AEW talents grow and shine and also letting Jon start to take something of a vacation and spend time with his family. That started in earnest after Revolution, and then here we are.

If y'all can stomach an EVIL run, I think Mox will do just fine, and I don't think it's gonna be a long run, so just enjoy the ride.

gently caress yeah I agree. To me mox is a njpw guy and an aee guy. Also mox moves tickets and has great matches. You can't go wrong with him