Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but understanding what Martin said and then formulating his own complete sentences means he's got grammar and at least a base vocabulary. Some of what Yabushige said should've made sense to him.

I mean, if you don't know the word, you don't know the word. I could totally see Fuji or one of the household staff running through household vocab for a day back at Ajiro. And nowhere in the kitchen drawer is "ally".

Yes yes, book time. In the book he has a Portuguese-Japanese dictionary compiled by the jesuits, which greatly speeds up his language skills. But in the show it seems he's just absorbing words and phrases where and when he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

kiimo posted:

You keep using this word jabroni-suru

and it's...awesome

Jabroni-gai shimasu.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Jabroni gozaimasen, surely?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dr.Radical posted:

I really appreciate the casting of Father Martin and the other priests. They’re all so loathsome and those horrible haircuts they have is the icing on the cake.

The jesuits would find it weird that you don't shave your pate to remain humble under the lord

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr.Radical posted:

I really appreciate the casting of Father Martin and the other priests. They’re all so loathsome and those horrible haircuts they have is the icing on the cake. The first friar in the fishing village whining in toddler Japanese had me grinding my teeth
I think Martin's supposed to be the only true believer versus the other priests who are only in it for greed/political clout. The show's portrayed him as fairly upstanding.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
You're forgetting Father Domingo back in prison, who is totally not bitter about that fact

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

XYZAB posted:

Jabroni-gai shimasu.

Jabronii-chan

(I'm so, so sorry)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frank giving the synopsis for the most recent episode.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Lord Saeki: Kiku-san what's all that stuff you're grabbing?

Kiku: tools to enhance your pleasure! duct tape, zip ties, tools! I got to have my tools!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait are those real? I thought they were just like a fake thing Bob's Burgers invented.

dude they inspired most of the Wu-Tang Clan mythos

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
About to restart watching from episode 1 tonight with wife and a guest staying with us for a few months. I am going to try to restrain myself from commenting, but I am so ready.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mauser posted:

About to restart watching from episode 1 tonight with wife and a guest staying with us for a few months. I am going to try to restrain myself from commenting, but I am so ready.

Refer to your wife and guest as their name-sama for the entirety of the time

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

TraderStav posted:

Refer to your wife and guest as their name-sama for the entirety of the time

I personally demand a respectful "Tristesse no kata"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Be sure to point out that when Blackthorne kicked the orc helmet while searching for Merry and Pippin, Cosmo Jarvis broke his toe and that scream is real.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I think Martin's supposed to be the only true believer versus the other priests who are only in it for greed/political clout. The show's portrayed him as fairly upstanding.

Yeah, the first priest screaming for them to execute Blackthorne immediately wasn't really giving off a "man of god" vibe

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Really excited to see how this wraps up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, the first priest screaming for them to execute Blackthorne immediately wasn't really giving off a "man of god" vibe
Screaming for the death of Protestants seems pretty on-brand for a 1600s Catholic to me.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lawman 0 posted:

Really excited to see how this wraps up.

Commodore Perry shows up

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tankbuster posted:

Commodore Perry shows up

that would be impressive since america isnt a country at this point

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CapnAndy posted:

Screaming for the death of Protestants seems pretty on-brand for a 1600s Catholic to me.

And vice versa

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"like the cook-a-ratch!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Fine, then the USS Nimitz shows up.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mordja posted:

Guys I heard the JDS Mirai is going to make a cameo in the last episode.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
#tfw ur wife wont commit suicide with you and u gotta decapitate ur dad

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
EVA Unit-002 is going to drop into Osaka and fix the timestream by killing Ishido.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Buzzzzzzz hmm, what’s that up in the sky?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mordja posted:

a sequel to the final countdown out of nowhere would be the best, ngl

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

shame on an IGA posted:

dude they inspired most of the Wu-Tang Clan mythos

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

kiimo posted:

I'm already mad that whoever they cast as Gordon Chen isn't stroking his giant hairs coming out of his mole.

They already cast the perfect Dirk Struan in the 1986 film though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Brown

haha what the gently caress they shot Tai-Pan on the mainland?? the DeLaurintis family's power to ruin adaptations is truly unparallelled

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay so this is kind of fun, my brother is a goon but never posts but he's also a screenwriter in LA.

This is an email where he put feelers out through his agent and manager and tried to write a script for an update on Shogun and was told the following

lol look at the date. They have been working on this poo poo for 8 years minimum. By the way he absolutely loves this adaptation and is very very aware he could not have done it better or nearly as good if we're being honest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That rules, and those 8 years show because the show is loving impeccably made.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jerusalem posted:

That rules, and those 8 years show because the show is loving impeccably made.

After all your effort posts in the masters of the air thread, you of all people should know that 8 years of working on something can go either way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shogun: The extra years show (complimentary)
Masters of the Air: The extra years show (derogatory)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, is MotA bad? I saw it got pretty good reviews, that's about all I know of it.

E: Of course so did Night Country and that was some of the worst dogshit I've watched in years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mordja posted:

Oh, is MotA bad? I saw it got pretty good reviews, that's about all I know of it.

I wouldn't say it's bad, just overcooked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mordja posted:

There are some good parts to it but it's badly put together, inconsistent, makes strange choices on where to place its focus, and does a weirdly bad job of pacing and hitting particular story beats that are seemingly present purely because they're expected but fails to see why they worked in other shows (such as Band of Brothers, which it can't help but be compared with). The core characters are a mixture of unlikeable or undeveloped, with probably the best character of the show who everything could have been built around - Rosenberg - not appearing until several episodes in and having almost no interactions with any of the other characters we've spent time with other than Crosby, who doesn't work as the connective tissue he should between early and later characters. A subplot between him and a British subaltern starts up suddenly and then just kind of... stops and never really comes up again. One episode ends with,"Okay guys, our mission now is to wipe out the Luftwaffe, and that means we need to be bait to draw them out and crush them... that's what we are now, we're bait!" with the credits rolling on the idea that this is what we'd see next. The next episode opens with,"Now that the Luftwaffe had been crushed, we were able to do bombing runs deeper into German territory..."

The whole thing felt like a show that started to get made, fell into development hell, a bunch of cooks came into the kitchen, a lot of notes were handed in from the people overseeing the production or handling the money, and nobody really had any idea what they wanted to do with the show beyond they'd already done the European and Pacific land battles so next was the planes.

Anyway, Shogun's really great!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
masters of the air has two legitimately great episodes, if you like hunks having a bad time in planes and you can get an apple subscription for free its absolutely worth your time

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That's 1 more than Shogun so far. We'll see how the last 2 shape up though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Worked for Apocalypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

Jehde posted:

That's 1 more than Shogun so far. We'll see how the last 2 shape up though.

:rolleyes: