Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Because they're an invasive species and need to be cleared out of the area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/25-27/52

Archie 2/9-11/50

An "aggie" in this context is a marble made out of agate, not a graduate of Texas A&M.

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 6/19/77

It feels like Stan has no idea how to end this guru story and is just throwing poo poo at the wall at this point.

As for "toothpaste commercials," the Osmonds were known for their big shiny smiles -- especially in an era before veneers and bleach strips.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Stephen Collins has some kind of a problem with Amy Winehouse, I take it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Or Blob Marley

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

~Coxy posted:

Stephen Collins has some kind of a problem with Amy Winehouse, I take it.
It just seems like a joke about music biopics(and how overdone they're getting) to me? I've seen a couple, I enjoyed them, but also that's basically what they're like.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haifisch posted:

It just seems like a joke about music biopics(and how overdone they're getting) to me? I've seen a couple, I enjoyed them, but also that's basically what they're like.

Yeah, I assumed this was a riff on the Amy Winehouse trailer, which hits every beat of that comic and makes the film look like Extruded Music Biopic Product.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Archie 2/9-11/50

An "aggie" in this context is a marble made out of agate, not a graduate of Texas A&M.

I found out that there are two sizes of marbles: standard marble which is 1/2" diameter, and shooter marble (or Taw) which is 3/4" diameter. An aggie is a shooter marble and thus is 3/4'. That would really hurt!
https://bargames101.com/different-types-of-marbles/

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Horses are pretty cool, I guess. That doesn't mean I should be thrilled if a bunch of wild ones are hanging out in my front yard.

Mark Trail doing its part to make me side with an obnoxious billionaire tech bro

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 9-10, 2002)

me i pet him wethands style

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My one cat has a habit of jumping up onto the rim of the toilet while it is, uh, in use by me.

I was caught off-guard the first time he did it.

He's a big chungus, so hard to miss.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is fuckin terrifying

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

And so is this

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I feel like I smoked an entire Thai stick just reading DR. Hormone.

That's the good poo poo

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Darthemed posted:

Retail
Popcom

I love this profile of not-Stalin, but I loved it more when I noticed he was saying he wouldn't be caught napping.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Medenmath posted:

Of course Dethany would snitch to the boss about a coworker interviewing elsewhere. I assume we're supposed to like her but man she sucks.

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh my God! You do not tell your abusive boss that your co-worker is interviewing at another company, you stupid boot-licking backstabbing bitch!

Fi's the only one I sort of like in this comic. She hates her lovely job and shittier co-workers and is the only one trying to find a better job. Holbrook wants us to think that her being alone because she's so unpleasant is meant to be a character flaw, but she's at least honest about why she hates people? Dethany sucks because she's one of those people who befriends someone because they see them as a project to "fix". Every single interaction they have reads like Dethany's a condescending bitch who pities her "best" friend, and it's unsurprising she's backstabbing Fi like this to score points with her boss.

Hippocrass posted:

Because they're an invasive species and need to be cleared out of the area?

It's like Jules has the memory of a goldfish and forgot why Mark took this assignment in the first place. There's some potential drama of Mark grappling with the fact that his favorite animal is an invasive species. Instead, Jules has yet another axe to grind against techbros. I don't think Mark has even shown an iota of concern about the horses for the past few weeks. Hell, for someone who supposedly loves horses, Mark shows shockingly little knowledge about them and had to have the rancher fellow tell him a bunch of horse facts. NuTrail is a mistake.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh man that last panel of Mexikid is just perfect. The wages of police corruption are a bunch of crappy home tapes with kids yelling at each other.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

If you knew nothing about Phantom and only read the recent strips, you'd think Kit is a degenerate criminal from the way he's been drawn.

amigolupus posted:

Fi's the only one I sort of like in this comic. She hates her lovely job and shittier co-workers and is the only one trying to find a better job. Holbrook wants us to think that her being alone because she's so unpleasant is meant to be a character flaw, but she's at least honest about why she hates people? Dethany sucks because she's one of those people who befriends someone because they see them as a project to "fix". Every single interaction they have reads like Dethany's a condescending bitch who pities her "best" friend, and it's unsurprising she's backstabbing Fi like this to score points with her boss.

Holbrook spends so much real estate telling the audience that Fi is mean and vicious without ever showing it. I like her a lot better than "I'm only licking this boot because I want to!" Dethany.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 11, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Pam is free of the DNA bullshit :toot:
E: also I look forward to racist old dude trying to downplay how useful Bok was for finding the pirate miners. I have high expectations for Bok and low ones for him.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 13, 2024

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Hold up a sec here. Something just hit me that's really sticking in my craw.

So much like merpeople, Pam has to spend oh so long as human, then hits a point where she has to go as a cat to balance it out as such. This also implies that Pam may have a stable cat/human hybrid form which I'm just gonna go right on past now thankyouverymuch. But just last week we were transforming mice permanently into flowers which is stable.

Why can't DNA wizard offer Pam a stable form? Is it a given that anyone who can shift has to follow a schedule? How does the family that summers with the merpeople stay stable for their trip?

OW MY BRAIN.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Kammat posted:

Why can't DNA wizard offer Pam a stable form?
That would require DNA wizard to put in actual effort and/or to actually give a poo poo. Therefore it is verboten.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

I just read six pages and this is the first time I've laughed out loud.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Comic Strips 2024: Providence and Hormone!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 23, 1962)

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(6/13/1994)

(6/14/1994)

Ziggy

(11/17/1971)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why do all the conniving types in Prince Valiant have names like Sleath or Slivens or Slutt

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

Maybe :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avb1XbO0EIs

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Hell yeah :black101:

Pluggers

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Prince Valiant... Next: The Reckoning.

:buddy: oh boyyy!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Valiant: Goddamn it feels good to be a gangster. Get reckoned with, fuckers.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

holy poo poo what a payoff, Mexikid stories sitcom when?

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

...and that's the end of Alley Oop, I guess! Bye, everyone!

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/12/04

Brenda Starr 1/4/53

Smokey Stover 11/27/60

Everyday Movies 6/7/37

"The church holds about 250, so we can send out 400 invitations. You can always figure on about 40 per cent coming and about 15 per cent sending presents."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/4/43

Closer Than We Think! 11/27/60

There are downsides to this sort of technology, too... I know I've read a couple SF stories where they could beam ads directly into your head.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 13, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

:black101:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hwurmp posted:

Why do all the conniving types in Prince Valiant have names like Sleath or Slivens or Slutt

A bit of nominative determinism so less attentive readers can keep track of who to jeer if they miss a week.

edit: see also, our main dude is named "Valiant"

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 13, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Schwarzwald posted:

A bit of nominative determinism so less attentive readers can keep track of who to jeer if they miss a week.

Very Dickensian like that.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 16, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (April 30-May 2, 1936)

So nobody's said "That boy don't smell like Abner."

Thimble Theater (November 16, 1940)

Out Our Way (June 12-14, 1944)

Extracurricular reading: Anyone who's interested in a 1943 vintage book about women in machine shops might be interested in Hit The Rivet, Sister by Ann Pendleton (pen name for Mary Beatty Trask, and on my to-read list)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 13, 2024

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

davidspackage posted:

If you knew nothing about Phantom and only read the recent strips, you'd think Kit is a degenerate criminal from the way he's been drawn.

Holbrook spends so much real estate telling the audience that Fi is mean and vicious without ever showing it.
[Character] has [characteristic]; the equal and balanced human--world equivalent of [species] has [trait].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mister Olympus posted:

home desktops were a relative rarity in japan until recently, right? i imagine having one in 93 means she's a really early adopter and there isn't much in japanese for children's media, though i know there was an explosion of adult computer games at the time

or maybe it's all part of her cosmopolitan image
The kid was watching Thomas the Tank Engine on TV too.