Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Wasn’t quite sold until ep 4ish but holy poo poo that was actually really good. I’m shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

LifeLynx posted:

What's the deal with Michael Rapaport? I don't like him either but this is exactly the type of character I can take him as. An unrepentant rear end in a top hat who immediately gets killed with barely any screentime. Looking at his Twitter (ugh), he seems to be anti-Trump, anti-Fox News, pro-vax, etc. Just a loud obnoxious guy to me, which I can't stand.

He's a massive Zionist. So in otherwords a huge piece of poo poo.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

DurosKlav posted:

He's a massive Zionist. So in otherwords a huge piece of poo poo.

He was a piece of poo poo long before he was a massive Zionist.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It felt very controlled and disciplined and avoided the worst pitfalls. If you have a character who easily dispatches overwhelming enemies with a smirk and a grin then you remove tension from the scene so you can’t also have long protracted action scenes. When you have crazy and silly sci-if elements you can’t take yourself too seriously and also have protracted dramatic emotional scenes. It’s tempting to stuff episodes with that because then you don’t have to worry about progressing the plot or story but they didn’t. It knows what it is and balances it quite well, I think.

I would have liked to take the craziness up a notch but maybe that’s just because I’m familiar with most of the elements so there’s not a lot of novelty. I don’t really care about seeing anything in particular from the games - set it in Detroit or Florida or whatever and just come up with new factions and fauna.

I don’t care about upending stuff from the games but it does seem amusingly unnecessary. I guess now there’s an antagonist people should be invested in.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

People like the NCR for the same reason people like the Imperial Guard from 40K. In a world of crazies, psychopaths and power armour, regular folks carving out a living and even thriving is nice to see. Watching that idealism turn into imperialism and expansionism in New Vegas is also compelling. How does a good idea led astray affect the people who follow it?

You don't have to like the NCR but considering them generic does a disservice to how much they grow and change over 1,2 and FNV. They're more than a Veteran Ranger Helmet and a two headed bear flag.

War never changes but people do. There will always be conflict as the great leveler but the players change, grow, or die out.

I wanted the NCR to become the defacto villains of a future installment, because they were making all the same mistakes as prewar America. Like the fact that their burgeoning empire was running out of food and clean water because they had grown too greedily was compelling and cool! People were running out of food and supplies before the war, and while the population was greatly decreased there's much less land to actually farm, there's no proper medical factories other than a few chem manufacturers and a lot of the tech people are relying on is breaking down while the already stressed sources of uranium just plum started running out.

All the while the wildlife is still mutating like mad and corruption is rife in the economy, creating internal division and external forces that want a piece of the failing state.

Would have made for a really cool reversal to see the community you protected and nurtured in Fallout 1 become more like the Enclave by the minute.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
In keeping with the established themes of the show I'm sure we'll see increasingly divergent splinter NCR remnant factions murdering eachother in the future.

While it was a shame that 'whole thing' happens the way it does, I don't think it was intended to erase NV like some internet hyperbole is arguing so much as maintain the feeling of desolation in the west. It wouldn't feel very post-apocalyptic if there was a functional, modern state extant throughout the entire setting.

Besides, people are missing the real question here: Has Caesar's Legion survived?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Azhais posted:

Because the NCR was nuked before the events of Fallout: NV. Sure, Vegas is still there, but the game isn't, which means any lore from the game is no longer valid, like how big the NCR was.

The gently caress?

Time is linear. The show is set in 2296, New Vegas was 2281.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

that was largely a game reference that didn't come up afterwards except as serve as impetus for the 33 -> 32 pop transfer.

My thinking is that if they're trying to retcon FO1/FO2 out of existence, which is an opinion I saw a lot, then they wouldn't make an obvious reference to FO1

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

w0o0o0o posted:

In keeping with the established themes of the show I'm sure we'll see increasingly divergent splinter NCR remnant factions murdering eachother in the future.

While it was a shame that 'whole thing' happens the way it does, I don't think it was intended to erase NV like some internet hyperbole is arguing so much as maintain the feeling of desolation in the west. It wouldn't feel very post-apocalyptic if there was a functional, modern state extant throughout the entire setting.

Besides, people are missing the real question here: Has Caesar's Legion survived?

Eh....Ceasar's Legion even in Fallout: NV didn't seem like it was set to outlive him for long, and the only way to save it was pretty much to go with the legion ending which I doubt they would go with. That said, there may at least be some nods to them or some remnants season 2. Also, I am sure everyone is going to be absolutely pissed off about it as well, even though he had terminal cancer and no immediate successor.

Also, to be honest as fun as Fallout: NV was it did write the universe into a corner, eventually, the only solution is some type of NCR versus Brotherhood war that would probably go nuclear anyway. Also, from what we have seen southern California may have taken the biggest hit from Shady Sands disappearing, and New Vegas is anything looks more built up from F:NV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eat The Rich posted:

My thinking is that if they're trying to retcon FO1/FO2 out of existence, which is an opinion I saw a lot, then they wouldn't make an obvious reference to FO1

That's as much a Fallout 3 thing as it is the OG.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's as much a Fallout 3 thing as it is the OG.

Omg you're absolutely right

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Eat The Rich posted:

After all this time, trying to make sense of fallout canon is a fool's errand, I get the impression the people who made the show cared a lot about the games.

Hell, Bethesda cared about the originals, they wouldn't have continued the franchise otherwise. (The fact that their writing and characters are uneven at best, is just something you have to live with.) Any franchise that's around long enough is going to collect internal inconsistencies and dead ends.

Anywhoo, finished the show and let it sink in for awhile, it's really good - no qualifiers. Kinda looking forward to season 2, though I expect any show with Jonathan Nolan attached is going to crawl up its rear end sooner or later.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Splorange posted:

Hell, Bethesda cared about the originals, they wouldn't have continued the franchise otherwise.

I don't super care one way or the other, but I think the main thing Bethesda cares about is money.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Whoa, next you're gonna tell me that amazon only made the show to sell fallout merchandise and Amazon prime subscriptions!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
"Bethesda" at this point is portion of a subsidiary of a division of Microsoft.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Things that seemed unresolved:

Why is the water chip broken and then never mentioned again?
Does eye patch lady actually like Chet at all or just wanted someone to help with the baby?
How and why did Maldova get 219 years into the future? How much time did she spend in the NCR?
Wouldn't Hank have known about Vault 32 or did they not find it odd that the 32 overseer was not communicating for 2 years?
Why is it important to have two separate connected vaults?
If Vault 31 is literally just a cryo room where did all the repairs for 32 come from and filling it up with prewar equipment again?
Why did Maldova enter through 32 if she knows Hank was in 33?
Did Vault 4 originate a bunch of wasteland creatures?
Why does Vault 4 have an entrance trap like that, why would it be needed for the original purpose of the vault?
How do the people in Vault 4 all know about Maldova or care when they just want to stay down there?
Why did The Enclave not try and hunt down the cold fusion research?
Did Lucy's brother cryo himself?
What exactly did Thaddeus take that turned him into a ghoul instantly?

It seems like eye patch lady does like Chet but she's used as comedy relief
And I think Lucy's bro cyro'd himself since he was forced but who knows season 2 might show it was misdirection

edit: actually thinking about it, eye patch lady was from Vault 31 or vault 32? vault 31 people all managers from the pre-war? so she's probably bad if from vault 31

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 13, 2024

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rabid Snake posted:

And I think Lucy's bro cyro'd himself since he was forced but who knows season 2 might show it was misdirection

edit: actually thinking about it, eye patch lady was from Vault 31 and arent vault 31 people all managers from the pre-war? so she's probably bad

Funny things is, if you watch Episode 1 again
(full series spoilers)

Only the Pre-War people were of any use in the fight. And the protagonist Lucy.
They might have destroyed the world with violence, but on other hand they can do violence to defend the community.
Vault-Tec managers are a land of contrast.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

edit: actually thinking about it, eye patch lady was from Vault 31 or vault 32? vault 31 people all managers from the pre-war? so she's probably bad if from vault 31

She's from Vault 31, that's why she is overseer of 32 now

I mostly got the sense that she was seducing/using Chet to help take care of her and raise the baby. I think the entire bit about her making him wear the scarf and cardigan was a test to see how submissive he would be to her, or potentially some kind of managerial "ask for small favors before the big one" tactic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

Would you be surprised to learn that there's some that like it (much to their admitted surprise), some that don't, and others that laugh at it being canon due to its events? ("People bawling over something that contradicts the games? First time?")

Good for them. Glad they've mellowed somewhat.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't super care one way or the other, but I think the main thing Bethesda cares about is money.

I think it's safe to say Bethesda cares - even if their attempts to show it is sometimes inept - but that's almost assuredly true of ZeniMax.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
WRT Norm, I doubt he's going to take the roomba's suggestion and cryo himself. The roomba explained that Vault 31's plan was to breed Vault-Tec employees with the test subjects to create a better class of management for when they eventually take over the surface. Norm and Lucy are products of that plan, and both of them have shown degrees of competence beyond the other Vault 33 residents.

Norm is very smart and canny enough to dodge around Betty. I'm wondering if he might try to logic his way out of Vault 31 by convincing the Roomba that his Build a Better Manager plan worked, and Norm himself is the result. Trick the roomba into thinking Norm wants to carry on the Vault's test, but in a leadership role. And then you can toy around with whether Norm is working the inside to bring down the system or if he starts getting a taste for power.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Norm can also thaw out the executives since his [SCIENCE] is costly high enough.

That solves the underpopulation program and also forces a bunch of executive a-holes to work the fields or starve.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm wondering if the executives thawed themselves out to go clean up Vault 32. There's no way Betty did that all by herself and the 33 residents would definitely wonder about all the corpses and words written in blood if she recruited them to help her.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Watched the first two episodes last night. I've only played 3 & New Vegas so I'm not like a series superfan but the show seems to be pretty in line with the look & feel of those games. So far it's not really clear what sort of bigger picture story is going to be, but it's all pretty engaging. Shame Goggins is a ghoul

Also this "dump everything at once" release sucks for discussion unless you're able and willing to watch it all the same day.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah that was what I thought he would do. You don’t wanna let me out? Ill thaw all your buddies, now what???

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What sort of SPECIAL stats would you all give Goosey? :thunk:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Hey, no spoilers i’m on episode 5, but everyone agrees this is some good poo poo right?

It’s such a great videogame adaptation. Makes me wanna fire up the games and go vault exploring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The show us overall very good, yes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Splorange posted:

After all this time, trying to make sense of fallout canon is a fool's errand, I get the impression the people who made the show cared a lot about the games.

Hell, Bethesda cared about the originals, they wouldn't have continued the franchise otherwise. (The fact that their writing and characters are uneven at best, is just something you have to live with.) Any franchise that's around long enough is going to collect internal inconsistencies and dead ends.

Anywhoo, finished the show and let it sink in for awhile, it's really good - no qualifiers. Kinda looking forward to season 2, though I expect any show with Jonathan Nolan attached is going to crawl up its rear end sooner or later.

yeah, in retrospect the fallout series deserved to end. Would have been quite the even series with FO1, FO2, Tactics and BOS. What the hell man.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You're missing Vegas on that list, which is really a natural end point for what you can do with Fallout while still keeping it Fallout.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

yeah the show is great and it's making me want to play a fallout game, too. i've played 3 and new vegas but it was one time when they were both new so i dunno whether i should just load up new vegas with some mods or try 4 which i've never played at all.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

roomtone posted:

yeah the show is great and it's making me want to play a fallout game, too. i've played 3 and new vegas but it was one time when they were both new so i dunno whether i should just load up new vegas with some mods or try 4 which i've never played at all.

Use tale of two wastelands and you can play Fallout 3 and New Vegas in One game. It is kinda like playing Warcraft 3 ROC in the TFT executable. Fallout 4 is fun but there's a major total conversion coming out on St George's day this month. Don't know how much you like british lore but thats the next big thing in the singleplayer game.

Arc Hammer posted:

You're missing Vegas on that list, which is really a natural end point for what you can do with Fallout while still keeping it Fallout.

Yes can you tell me what studio okayed the production of new vegas, provided engines and assets again for that game and essentially picked the IP out of trash heap it was in?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sab669 posted:

What sort of SPECIAL stats would you all give Goosey? :thunk:

While I doubt they have character sheets, it seems like the show makers actually looked at the game stats & skills, maybe as part of sketching the characters. A few people spotted that Norm is a thief build (someone else noticed he’s got Small Frame and Gifted which is a great catch and exactly how you build that archetype), and it’s notable that Maximus is a terrible shot (low perception / small arms) but effective in melee.

Ep1 gives a hint at Goosey when it goes over her background; she’s specced for Agility, Charisma and I think Perception, and her dump stat is Luck with the others being just ok. She’s skilled with small arms and unarmed, first aid and repair, possibly science. But her player didn’t bother to level up speech.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its interesting on rewatch that all the people moldaver holds hostage while kidnapping Hank seem to be Vault 31 Bud's Buds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tankbuster posted:

Yes can you tell me what studio okayed the production of new vegas, provided engines and assets again for that game and essentially picked the IP out of trash heap it was in?

I wasn't trying to pick a fight, can you quit being an rear end in a top hat for two seconds the minute anyone mentions New Vegas? The point I was trying to make has nothing to do with Bethesda resurrecting the series. I was trying to say that what Vegas does with Fallout is about as far as you can take it without becoming something other than Fallout. Even guys like Avellone have said this. It's not a criticism.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 13, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The cruel Godd Howard only hints at a season of New Vegas in the show so he can force us to watch it being destroyed by a giant mudcrab.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

I wasn't trying to pick a fight, can you quit being an rear end in a top hat for two seconds the minute anyone mentions New Vegas?

Sorry I am still mad at my first discussion attempts online being met with "They made this show, spending millions of dollars and a ton of time just to ruin New Vegas because it was the bestest and wellest written fallout ever."

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

You are truly a master of extrapolating the wrong argument from posts and then railing against that

It's perfectly okay for people to have a preference of world building. Some folks want a story that appreciates the anthropology of a post-nuclear society, and how different factions might grow and change over decades. Some folks want a kitschy wasteland themepark in which to destroy mutants. Either are valid. Picking one over the other isn't a cry for death of any production company.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No my point was that there would be fallout new vegas without bethesda buying the IP, making a mainline game and giving the series a new lease of life. There wasn't an anthropological study of a post-nuclear society in BoS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anything, Fallout 3 was the first game to do that by exploring how the BoS has changed and considers the "original" tenants of their faith Outcasts. Fallout 2 doesn't really touch on it that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
At least fallout 2 lets you go to mafia town, box mike tyson and hang out with Don Corleone - so who can say if it is a mishmash of pop culture references.

https://twitter.com/_ArtByAdam_/status/1779101657470517715

Wonder if the huge amount of concept art made for all the 3d era fallouts helped in crafting the look of the TV show.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 13, 2024