Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Murdstone posted:

I get what you're saying but I can't do anything about historic colonialism or arbitrarily drawn post-WWII borders, but I can help people who don't have some drinking water to get some.

Yes, you've given them water today. Now what about ensuring they will still have water tomorrow while you're off digging the next well to give someone else water today? This is the fundamental problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Slotducks posted:

you're getting paid?

Only in exposure.

Exposure to nazi content via twitter embeds :mad:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
There is no ethical charity under capitalism.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Was there ethical charity under feudalism?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
There was a well.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, you've given them water today. Now what about ensuring they will still have water tomorrow while you're off digging the next well to give someone else water today? This is the fundamental problem.

While i get what you are saying the chap in this thread who actually sorts out wells/pumps for people has gone into detail into how he makes sure they still have water tomorrow. Often the issue is the initial capital cost, not the ongoing revenue cost of maintaining it which often local communities can do themselves (with, perhaps, some training, spare parts).

No, it doesnt solve the entire problem and yes totally lots of charities just swan in, take some photos and gently caress off. But people having a well that didnt have a well before is a good thing. Especially when it makes women less vunerable as they dont have to walk miles for water.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please provide a numbered list of all of the things that you've done to enact long lasting positive change in the lives of others, unless of course you are the president of the society for ensuring that the perfect is always the enemy of the good.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
An advertiser that thinks in terms of millions of impressons as a basic unit must love the idea that 1 in every 10k views will have their stuff next to things that even musk says is unsafe

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
whoever''s selling the spare parts to these mr beast brand wells is gonna cop hella bags

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It’s me, in the one making GBS threads in the wells. I’m sorry, I just can’t stand the sight of clean water.

You can direct further well chat to my pms

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roblo posted:

While i get what you are saying the chap in this thread who actually sorts out wells/pumps for people has gone into detail into how he makes sure they still have water tomorrow. Often the issue is the initial capital cost, not the ongoing revenue cost of maintaining it which often local communities can do themselves (with, perhaps, some training, spare parts).

No, it doesnt solve the entire problem and yes totally lots of charities just swan in, take some photos and gently caress off. But people having a well that didnt have a well before is a good thing. Especially when it makes women less vunerable as they dont have to walk miles for water.

Breetai posted:

Please provide a numbered list of all of the things that you've done to enact long lasting positive change in the lives of others, unless of course you are the president of the society for ensuring that the perfect is always the enemy of the good.

Let me rephrase, because I get where you're coming from; My problem isn't the actual action in general (Those wells have absolutely benefited people), it's the short-sighted intent behind it and someone like MrBeast's starts and ends at the words "Like, Share & Subscribe". The moment he's got footage, he's loving off to make more money off other people's hardships and scoring PR points off Doing A Good Deed without a further thought on the issue, rather than making a real effort to affect permanent change. As InternetJack has brought up about what's needed to go an extra step and ensure those wells will actually stay viable in the long-term, which probably wasn't done.

He's not likely to continue paying for wells, or eyesight-restoring surgery, or whatever, because it'd get Less Clicks as it's not new and exciting anymore, it's now old and Done Before. As is putting in place any kind of funding for the programs he paid for just to make a video; That's long-term solution investment that doesn't make Youtube Footage and get clicks on MrBeast(tm) Videos.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

!

Roblo posted:

Wow

N. Senada posted:

It’s me, in the one making GBS threads in the wells. I’m sorry, I just can’t stand the sight of clean water.

You can direct further well chat to my pms

Looking into it

Sir Tonk posted:

Mr beast sucks

:elon:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Can I give you 8 bucks a month to keep seeing that kind of insight that I can already look at for free?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
With the Twitter subscription thing, couldn’t just one person subscribe and then copy/paste the text on their own Twitter?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

I recognize the words but I still feel like I'm reading an alien language. what does this actually mean? how do you "leverage AI" to "drive superior outcomes". what on earth does AI even have to do with any of this? Did they just ask Grok how brand safe X was, and to make it unhinged, and Grok told them to hold on tight because things were about to get 99.99% spicy

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

sir, sir, i do not care how opposable you think your thumbs are

you do not qualify as human

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you are not coming in

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

crispix posted:

you are not coming in
Lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Prosperity Awaits!

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

An advertiser that thinks in terms of millions of impressons as a basic unit must love the idea that 1 in every 10k views will have their stuff next to things that even musk says is unsafe

There's no need for concern. We've contracted with a cutting edge safety company (founded last Thursday) , who've confirmed 99.99% of our food does not contain lethal levels of arsenic.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Steadiman posted:

I recognize the words but I still feel like I'm reading an alien language. what does this actually mean? how do you "leverage AI" to "drive superior outcomes". what on earth does AI even have to do with any of this? Did they just ask Grok how brand safe X was, and to make it unhinged, and Grok told them to hold on tight because things were about to get 99.99% spicy

I don't think I've ever cared what a person who uses "leverage" as a verb has to say.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i try to eat a diet rich in fiber, to leverage the poop out of my butthole

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Saw a mudcrab the other day. Horrible creatures. Good day. Pussy in bio.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Crescent Wrench posted:

I don't think I've ever cared what a person who uses "leverage" as a verb has to say.

Archimedes is crying now. I hope you're happy.

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
Full Self-Driving (Not Actually Full Self-Driving)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Still love the letter X

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

ah yes strength & future, two things that car lacks

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

NtotheTC posted:

ah yes strength & future, two things that car lacks

why don’t you try throwing a baseball through one of it’s superior strength windows, nerd???? Can’t be done

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

idiotsavant posted:

leverage the poop out of my butthole

don't think you should have to do that :/

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I asked Grok how to fix poverty in Africa and to be as insulting as possible and it said “well well well”

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

kazil posted:

The check finally cleared

Huh

Literally three days ago, TechCrunch posted:

Ad-funded business models that earn revenue based on user engagement have been known to drive such anti-social outrage mechanisms. In X’s case, Musk’s erratic behavior has alienated some advertisers, but not all: The CCDH found ads being served alongside hateful posts made by all the tracked accounts. “We found ads for Oreos, the NBA, the FBI and even X itself placed near hateful posts,” the report said.

“Under Elon Musk’s ownership, X appears to be pursuing a strategy of hosting as much controversial content as possible,” a CCDH spokesperson told TechCrunch. “We know that this controversial content is addictive, not just for users who approve of it but also for users who criticize it, too. The potential benefit to X is that these controversies could ramp up user time spent on the platform and increase ad revenue — but only if brands are willing to pay for ads that could be displayed near toxic content.”

“The accounts studied by our report have grown sharply despite posting false or hateful content, showing that posting such content is no impediment to growth on X. This is not unique to the Israel-Gaza conflict, but it is the latest example of the problem. Our previous research into accounts that were reinstated following Musk’s takeover of Twitter shows that X stands to make significant ad revenue by welcoming users posting a range of topical hate and disinformation, from brutal misogyny to anti-vaccine conspiracies,” the spokesperson said.

Commenting on the report in a statement, Imran Ahmed, CEO and founder of the CCDH, said: “The public and advertisers need to know more about the symbiotic, profitable relationship between X and hate-peddling ‘influencers.’ Lawmakers must act to enforce greater transparency and accountability from platforms and to allow these companies to be held responsible for harming the civil rights and safety of Jews, Muslims and other minority communities.”

Huuuuuuuuuuhhhh??? :confused:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
full self driving is finally out of beta and into "assisted"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Advertisers please disregard our owner telling you to go gently caress yourselves

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thought I'd go check out the Doubleverify site. My browser security gave me a warning about the site. Always a good sign.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

About to roll a morning J and blaze my glory

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let me rephrase, because I get where you're coming from; My problem isn't the actual action in general (Those wells have absolutely benefited people), it's the short-sighted intent behind it and someone like MrBeast's starts and ends at the words "Like, Share & Subscribe". The moment he's got footage, he's loving off to make more money off other people's hardships and scoring PR points off Doing A Good Deed without a further thought on the issue, rather than making a real effort to affect permanent change. As InternetJack has brought up about what's needed to go an extra step and ensure those wells will actually stay viable in the long-term, which probably wasn't done.

He's not likely to continue paying for wells, or eyesight-restoring surgery, or whatever, because it'd get Less Clicks as it's not new and exciting anymore, it's now old and Done Before. As is putting in place any kind of funding for the programs he paid for just to make a video; That's long-term solution investment that doesn't make Youtube Footage and get clicks on MrBeast(tm) Videos.

So are you going to answer the question about all the good you’ve done or not? I’m trying to learn how to be an ethical person here

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ellipson posted:

So are you going to answer the question about all the good you’ve done or not? I’m trying to learn how to be an ethical person here

I'm going to do some good by giving you a swirlie

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

All charities are fundamentally flawed in providing the wealthy cut-rate morality.

"See?! I'm a good person!" shouts the billionaire who's donated millions of dollars each year to GoodCause(tm), whilst ignoring that their wealth is ill-gotten and their donation is proportional to the average American tossing pocket change into a beggar's cup.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Kit Walker posted:

I'm going to do some good by giving you a swirlie

Shaking my head disapprovingly at you for wasting water while my crush laughs at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

No. 6 posted:

All charities are fundamentally flawed in providing the wealthy cut-rate morality.

"See?! I'm a good person!" shouts the billionaire who's donated millions of dollars each year to GoodCause(tm), whilst ignoring that their wealth is ill-gotten and their donation is proportional to the average American tossing pocket change into a beggar's cup.

Vietnam has the solution to billionaires.