Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Yeah, but you need to do that in Warframe because everything looks like it has been made out of veiny dickmeat.

Hell yeah it does.

Lemme have tacticool camo patterns on stealth armor and melted-box-of-crayons eyesore heavy armor.

E:

hey mom its 420 posted:

if you, like me, have no life and are mostly maxed out, one ofthe most fun things to do is helping and supporting low level pubbies. getting the super samples, helping them do objectives and get xp, pointing them in the right direction etc etc. it truly is therapeutic in the most democratic way

Yeah I never stopped collecting samples, helping out and being part of a fun love and effective team is great fun.

Veiny dickmeat pagesnipe

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I don't doubt you what with one of the best of the new upgrades straight up not working but the cluster could always destroy fabs if you got lucky and one went straight in the vent so are you sure it isn't that?

I was just repeating what I heard, but after confirming it ingame it definitely drops a regular bomb right on the beacon. Since it's just one bomb you really gotta land it on top of what you want to blow up though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baiard posted:

I was just repeating what I heard, but after confirming it ingame it definitely drops a regular bomb right on the beacon. Since it's just one bomb you really gotta land it on top of what you want to blow up though.

That's very strange but honestly very useful; if you're actually able to land your beacons on the target you want dead, then that means you can use Eagle Clusters or Napalm (:v) against bots effectively since one usually takes Airstrike against them because only Airstrike bombs can pop fabricators

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Smoke Strike can too :v

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I stopped collecting normal samples even though others probably wanted them, but after i capped on super samples i began to find it funny to put extra effort into getting them or retrieving them

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Baiard posted:

lmao apparently the new eagle upgrade causes cluster bomb to drop an extra regular airstrike bomb, so now clusters can destroy fabricators

You can do it even without this upgrade but it's very conditional - you have to have the fab to your right (with the vents towards you), and drop the cluster ball right in front of it. Most of the time that'll still nail the fab with clusters.

Edit: Erupter is cool and good
https://i.imgur.com/2gZoQNk.mp4

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 13, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

piano chimp posted:

:negative:

Though I don't agree with this logic. Some of the armour that looks like it has grenades on has fortified instead. They should really just let us swap kits.
Yeah that CE-74 Breaker armor really looks like it has extra grenades on it, what with it being red with a tan breastplate and no extra grenades at all.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I can understand them saying "you can't have a heavy armour with light stats" but yeah there's nothing that specific about any of them that you can't switch around your look.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

AtomikKrab posted:

I think one of the best parts of the game is when you manage to do a full squad extract at 0 reinforcements left and the timer expired with your samples, and you all go "I can't believe we all made it out."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

currently there are 8 armor effects and 40 armors

suck my baconapples

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 13, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hwurmp posted:

currently there are 8 armor effects and and 40 armors

suck my baconapples

If you prefer the scout perk as I do you have your choice of like, 3 armors.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 13, 2024

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just got this to see what all the fuss is about and because I love democracy. Any advice for what should I be doing as far as progression/unlocks? I think the game's tutorial is really engaging and effective at teaching you the controls and basic mechanics but then it tosses you into the game with like four different currencies and a bunch of options with no real guidance on what you should be doing besides the Orders.

I have managed to have zero experience playing any modern multiplayer stuff in the last decade besides like phone games and Monster Hunter so maybe that's why the unlocks and the warbonds feel so alien to me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grenade Launcher + Backpack are good early game unlocks for strategies - they'll also help you punch above your weight for joining higher difficulty crews
Expendable Anti-Tank allows you to take out big enemies (Aim for the heads)
Gatling Sentry and one of the cheap Eagle Strikes are also good utilities

You'll basically accumulate medals to buy items in war bonds over time.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

atelier morgan posted:

medic armor. they all have that white/green look i don't like all that much but i try using other armors and just get disappointed in the inability to clutch absolutely absurd situations thanks to extended length invulnerability (since the explosion damage nerf very few things can kill you with active stim)

There's one medic armor that was a recolor but it was a twitch drop. https://divers.gg/armor/tr-117-alpha-commander

Might be about to buy it from a key site.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Tender Bender posted:

Just got this to see what all the fuss is about and because I love democracy. Any advice for what should I be doing as far as progression/unlocks? I think the game's tutorial is really engaging and effective at teaching you the controls and basic mechanics but then it tosses you into the game with like four different currencies and a bunch of options with no real guidance on what you should be doing besides the Orders.

I have managed to have zero experience playing any modern multiplayer stuff in the last decade besides like phone games and Monster Hunter so maybe that's why the unlocks and the warbonds feel so alien to me.

Get the top ship module first, the one that deploys support weapons with full ammo.

Get the Eagle Airstrike, it's good at every level of the game.

Stalwart is a great support weapon you can use as a primary against bugs.

Autocannon is a great support weapon you can use as a primary against bots.

EATs are a brilliant second support weapon you can take to just spam across the battlefield to tackle all of the bigger enemies.

Oh, and get the Redeemer autopistol ASAP as it's a direct upgrade from your starter sidearm.

Other than that, just run a few level 1s and 2s solo to test out guns and strategems, and learn to use the minimap to scour around looking for "points of interest" to get super credits and common samples, then dive into missions with a full crew. Start small, and work up in level until it feels right and stay there. Bots are tricky until you hit level 10 as you need some guns/strategems that have a bit more punch and you literally can't get the Autocannon (best weapon in the game, anyone who tells you otherwise is a traitor to democracy) until then. So maybe start with bugs, learn the ropes that way, and then move to the bot front once you feel confident with your weapons.

Edit: and to answer the point on currencies:

Requisition slips are used to buy the strategems. You'll get these doing basically anything, so don't worry about farming them.

XP you'll get by doing anything, so ditto. Some strategems are only available to buy at certain levels, but it's a small curve and after level 20 there's only the mech at 25 being gated.

Medals you use to buy the guns and toys in the warbonds. You'll get these by doing missions, completing personal orders, and major orders.

Super credits you'll use to buy the premium warbonds. You get like 700 in the basic warbond, and you can find them at points of interest. You'll get them basically as fast as you buy the premium warbonds and unlock the stuff in them, just basically remember to check all the POIs in case you can get some freebies.

Samples are the only thing you need to actively give a poo poo about. These are used to upgrade the ship modules for permanent bonuses. You can only find these on the planet surface, and you need to find them and get them onto the extraction ship. Or rather, any member of the fireteam needs to get them onto the extraction ship. This is the real challenge of the game, because the extraction shuttle isn't for you, it's for your samples. Picking up the ones a dead helldiver dropped is essential because the whole team gets them so long as they are on the shuttle.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 13, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Requisition slips and medals can be found at some points of interest in the field, and you'll earn them gradually just by doing missions. You can also find tiny amounts of the super credits instead of buying them with real money. If you don't already have a hand grenade to help destroy bug holes and bot factories, get one from the first page of the Helldivers Mobilize warbond ASAP.

Samples are the biggest pain in the rear end. Getting lots means clearing out every enemy base, scouring the map for PoIs, and getting out alive. They're used for ship modules, which improve your stratagems but don't unlock anything new. Farming samples comes easier with practice but don't worry about them too much if you're just starting out. Once you do get a bunch, the Donation Access License is a big upgrade, alongside the Eagle and sentry upgrades.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Hakarne posted:

I'm starting to come around on intentional hot-dropping just so you can make a badass entrance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77JQXf2tvH8

Also I really really hate Menkent. It's not even the fire tornadoes, it's that godamn haze; you can't see poo poo but the bots have no problem seeing and shooting you with excellent accuracy. At least the sandstorms cut both ways!

https://i.imgur.com/RHeerIo.mp4

I don't like Menkent but fire related fail spirals are always funny the day after but AA Defense :argh: I keep joining quick play 8 - 9s and bailing the instant I see AA Defense as a modifier but you can't see it from the globe when selecting other people's missions to join.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imo it would be cool if those difficulty modifiers were tied to side objectives on the planet you could complete in order to disable them

like maybe there could be AA guns on the map you could destroy to disable the AA effect or some kind of satellite thing you could enable/raise in order to bypass the orbital fluctuations. would be neat if stuff like that was in the game imo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If they aren't doing armor tinting and customization I'd love to see a bit more color alignment. They've got several different tans and greens that don't match (the scout green and medic green being different works for me but the light fortified armor doesn't match anything) and the reds and oranges are also off from everything. It makes matching armor to helmets harder.

I think the medical armors are nice designs. The color scheming is good and the whites look great, and all of the +stim armors are clearly identifiable in terms of armor class and effect. Same with the scout armors, but the rest are all over the place with different oranges and tans and poo poo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ravenfood posted:

If they aren't doing armor tinting

they are possibly doing armor tinting, there are a few color variants in the files

afaik there's basically zero information on these besides them existing so how players will get them or if it's still planned remains to be seen

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Stratagem idea: Eagle Fighter Sweep

2 second call down, 1 or 2 calls per re-arm, lingers for maybe 45 seconds and dumps missiles into anything flying. I don’t want an I win butting against bot gunships, but it would be cool to maybe get a little bit of breathing room every once in a while

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ninjahedgehog posted:

2 second call down, 1 or 2 calls per re-arm, lingers for maybe 45 seconds and dumps missiles into anything flying. I don’t want an I win butting against bot gunships, but it would be cool to maybe get a little bit of breathing room every once in a while

Our nice lady pilot swooping in to blast some Shriekers out of the air would certainly be fun to watch as much as anything else

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tender Bender posted:

Welcome! Join the discord in the OP, mute everything but the helldivers 2 chat. Play with squads of goons in voice chat. They are super friendly and always have squads forming. You'll have max level goons helping teach you the game's tricks and tips.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ninjahedgehog posted:

One of the leaked strategems is an eagle air to air missile that seems to work basically like an Orbital autocannon but vs flying enemies

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Back to Bot vs Bug difficulty discussion, but it is pretty crazy how much worse the Bot secondary objectives and modifiers are

Bugs have:

-atmospheric spores. Oh no, radar is less usefull.
-stalker lairs. Actually kind of dangerous, but are getting power crept, especially by the eruptor
-spore towers. Make things hard to see... half the planets have enviroments that aren't much worse for visibility. Also can be destroyed from across the map by literally anything
-shrieker towers. Pretty dangerous, but can be destroyed at range.
-one of their most dangerous units (spitters) doesn't even show up half the time

Bots have:

-AA defenses. Minus a whole strategem slot!
-detector towers
-strategem jammers
-mortars
-anti air emplacements
-cannon towers
-mines
-gunships, which are more dangerous than shriekers and can only be destroyed by hellbombs
-command bunkers which can shoot back/even one shot.

Like at high difficulties the bots will even start fortifying POIs, with mines and towers. Terminids just don't have the same 'this is a loving death trap' feel. Maybe if they got more static defenses, or if spore spewers did a low amount of damage over time or something and got more armour

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

We’re going to need to have a discussion about the euphemism treadmill and why the goon prefix is killing me.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Piell posted:

One of the leaked strategems is an eagle air to air missile that seems to work basically like an Orbital autocannon but vs flying enemies

Although unless flying enemies become much more a thing (like some sort of elite enemy) then it seems like a bit of a trap choice to take a stratagem to deal with the output of a secondary object that may or may not even spawn.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

darnon posted:

Although unless flying enemies become much more a thing (like some sort of elite enemy) then it seems like a bit of a trap choice to take a stratagem to deal with the output of a secondary object that may or may not even spawn.

they're ace combat missiles. if they can't hit an airplane then they'll shoot a tank

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

AtomikKrab posted:

I think one of the best parts of the game is when you manage to do a full squad extract at 0 reinforcements left and the timer expired with your samples, and you all go "I can't believe we all made it out."

Honestly even when the last man wipes but you've completed the mission objectives it's somehow gratifying. They did so much right with this game.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

AtomikKrab posted:

I thought we had one of those last night, and then the last guy we brought down with single digit seconds to spare, instead of following everyone else onto the ramp just ran off into the wilderness. Chatbox was literally three simultaneous "FFS" posts

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

turn off the TV posted:

i don't think that you can actually do that

I don't know them all well enough yet but there are some obvious ones, let alone the difference between light, medium, and heavy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lobok posted:

I only agree with not doing transmog because you can look at someone's armour and see what the armour actually is/does.

But I don't feel that strongly about it, I'd love transmog in this game.

I agree with the developers that you shouldn't be able to exchange armor properties. The big beefy bomb squad armor should not give you the stealthy sprinting buffs.

However they really should let you change the color of your equipment.

Also they need to balance it better so there's some reason to take heavy armor. Nearly everyone I see on the higher levels is running some kind of light armor.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Noise posted:

We’re going to need to have a discussion about the euphemism treadmill and why the goon prefix is killing me.

just a little gooning with some strangers on the internet, no harm in it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sagebrush posted:

I agree with the developers that you shouldn't be able to exchange armor properties. The big beefy bomb squad armor should not give you the stealthy sprinting buffs.

However they really should let you change the color of your equipment.

Also they need to balance it better so there's some reason to take heavy armor. Nearly everyone I see on the higher levels is running some kind of light armor.

Compromise doesn't please anyone blah blah blah but it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Transmog within armor classes only, or make transmog one mission only so that you have to spend otherwise useless req slips to fashion what you want each time, or have some perks be more transferable than others, etc.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you fashionistas can't handle having the wrong perk on your armor then you don't deserve to look good.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am getting real sick of stim pack animation playing, sounds going off but loving nothing happens because the player gets flinched by a flea landing on them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BadLlama posted:

I am getting real sick of stim pack animation playing, sounds going off but loving nothing happens because the player gets flinched by a flea landing on them.

god, this. mega annoying

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lobok posted:

I don't know them all well enough yet but there are some obvious ones, let alone the difference between light, medium, and heavy.

There are some that do make sense but a lot that are seemingly completely arbitrary. The superstore extra padding light armor is less armored than the superstore servo assisted light armor, which also doesn't have any servos to speak of.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The way I use stimpacks, and I assume most of the player base does too, is by mashing V until I see the health bar start going up.

It's another thing that I don't think is probably the intended gameplay behavior but hey, it's what works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mazerunner posted:

Back to Bot vs Bug difficulty discussion, but it is pretty crazy how much worse the Bot secondary objectives and modifiers are

Bugs have:

-atmospheric spores. Oh no, radar is less usefull.
-stalker lairs. Actually kind of dangerous, but are getting power crept, especially by the eruptor
-spore towers. Make things hard to see... half the planets have enviroments that aren't much worse for visibility. Also can be destroyed from across the map by literally anything
-shrieker towers. Pretty dangerous, but can be destroyed at range.
-one of their most dangerous units (spitters) doesn't even show up half the time

Bots have:

-AA defenses. Minus a whole strategem slot!
-detector towers
-strategem jammers
-mortars
-anti air emplacements
-cannon towers
-mines
-gunships, which are more dangerous than shriekers and can only be destroyed by hellbombs
-command bunkers which can shoot back/even one shot.

Like at high difficulties the bots will even start fortifying POIs, with mines and towers. Terminids just don't have the same 'this is a loving death trap' feel. Maybe if they got more static defenses, or if spore spewers did a low amount of damage over time or something and got more armour

Bots are significantly more difficult and require a different build / tactics. Granted most one hit rocket deaths are gone it’s definitely noticeable how much worse it is.

And the bug players who come to bot 8/9s with incendiary breaker and weird loadouts that don’t work on bots does no favours. Having two randoms somehow use 22 reinforcements when me and a buddy used 2 on bots is ludicrous.