Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How does he propose that the tips get to the game creators, versus their management or publisher?

This is some “tip your landlord” poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Why would someone just say this? Like okay you're super greedy and a piece of poo poo but why would you say this out loud? What's the benefit? Is it a humiliation kink thing?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I want to tip Ubisoft for making epic games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Why would someone just say this? Like okay you're super greedy and a piece of poo poo but why would you say this out loud? What's the benefit? Is it a humiliation kink thing?
hes just rich and stupid. he liked a game and went 'wow, i liked that game so much, i wish i could give the devs more money!" and blurted it out, because money isnt a real thing to him and he has no idea why tipping exists and what it represents

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Subjunctive posted:

How does he propose that the tips get to the game creators, versus their management or publisher?

I mean

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Macaluso posted:

I think it is very specifically to link to people’s empathy for actual game developers who experience crunch, have insecure employment, are poorly paid, etc. “Don’t you want to help these people? It’s just like Tarn Adams, everyone bought the Steam game to tip him!”

But of course he is management paid from the value exploited from the labour, and would certainly make sure that any such “tips” were considered his to plunder as well.

Here’s a tip for game creators: don’t work with loving Blizzard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Another tip for gamers, dont play Blizzard games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Epic game Blizzard. Ten reddit gold for thee.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Endorph posted:

hes just rich and stupid. he liked a game and went 'wow, i liked that game so much, i wish i could give the devs more money!" and blurted it out, because money isnt a real thing to him and he has no idea why tipping exists and what it represents

Most people don't understand why tipping exists or what it represents. At least, nit in America.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

America is one of the only countries where tipping exists

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In France (Ubisoft’s hometown) they don’t do tipping, so would I still be able to tip Ubisoft?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We already have ways to give devs more money after you buy the game, DLC and premium skins and so on

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

microtransactions are praxis

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Randomly going to point out that you don't have to pay tipped employees minimum wage

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ybarra was most recently famous for being appointed co-president of Blizzard with Jen Oneal in the wake of the massive sexual harassment and workplace discrimination lawsuit, and then like a farce she resigned after three months after being repeatedly marginalized in that position (including being paid less than him? lmao) and his response was "aw shucks, that's too bad but i guess i am sole president now"

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

America is one of the only countries where tipping exists

Yes, and it has part of its origin in the abolishment of slavery. Why pay a white person when you could pay a black person half the cost and just have him ask for a tip.

Feldegast42 posted:

Randomly going to point out that you don't have to pay tipped employees minimum wage

I used to rely on tips to pay my bills. It's a very scummy practice that should be removed from our society, not encouraged in more areas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tips are fine in certain situations where the person is actually being paid a decent wage and you want to give them extra for going above and beyond. however it should not be an expected thing or anything anyone relies on. and it mostly only works in self-employed type situations where you know the person who did the work for you is actually going to get to enjoy that tip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tipping was once illegal in several states and it should be again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I worked at a place where I also paid the bartenders and bussers and sometimes a silverware roller a percentage of my tips. The bartender tip out was tied to your alcohol sales, so it was possible to end up giving most of your tip away at a heavy drinking table. And drinkers are total wild cards when it comes to tipping, plus some folks just seem to have a mental cao in mind. Doesn't matter if they spent 350 bucks on the meal, twenty bucks is the max for them.

Being dependent on tips for a living is incredibly stressful, just a constant rubbing of your face directly into income inequality and you have to put on the cheeriest and most subservient facade you can muster the whole time. Absolutely miserable times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah a lot of people use engaging with tipped workers as a chance to have a personal attendant they can order around, it’s really toxic and bad

There have been a couple of attempts to do tip-free restaurants, but they always succumb to cultural inertia. It doesn’t help that the listed menu prices have to be higher when it’s part of the bill

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd like to tip former Blizzard president Mike Ybarra off a cliff in Overwatch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"just the tip"

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

credburn posted:

Who is Austin Walker and why do people like him?

He's a queer black dude that used to do game criticism and has some podcasts. For some reason certain types of Gamers have Opinions about him. Not saying every criticism of the guy is because of his race or queerness, but I don't think it's a coincidence that so many of the criticisms that do pop up are so unhinged.

I think it's very easy to hate someone if you choose to, or want to, and it's a lot harder to accept that just because you don't like someone they still could be a good person. Harder still to accept that maybe you are mad unreasonably or disproportionately for reasons completely unrelated to who or what you are mad at.

Personally I enjoy that star wars podcast he does a lot, and that recent one going through The Book of the New Sun was a lot of fun as a person who loves that series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, how’s the live action Fallout series out of curiosity and is it based on any specific game in the franchise?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I think it's mad lame and no

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Show is good and fun, worth watching and talking about in the TV thread

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think it's pretty well acted and has its moments. It's not amazing by any means though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Larryb posted:

On another note, how’s the live action Fallout series out of curiosity and is it based on any specific game in the franchise?

surprisingly good. much like the one piece live adaptation, i think they fully got that it had to be a bit silly and embrace the iconography to hit the right tone for everything to gel

if nothing else, it's nice to see actual practical effects coming back into the fold; goggins absolutely would have been some cartoon CGI horseshit if they'd been putting the thing out pre-covid

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Larryb posted:

Really good and fun and no it takes place after 4

Blows Halo out of the water lmao

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Larryb posted:

I'm halfway through and the production levels are incredibly good.

Curious about where it's going to end up, but they're nailing it so far.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Truspeaker posted:

Personally I enjoy that star wars podcast he does a lot, and that recent one going through The Book of the New Sun was a lot of fun as a person who loves that series.

Huh, didn't know he was doing that. I'm not hungry for podcasts about star wars or tabletop game sessions so I haven't checked those out (I'm sure they're good, just not what I'd want) but covering a book series sounds good to this gamer.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Fallout tv show is good if you like Fallout and bad if you really like Fallout.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

publisher of nier automata forcefem fanfic, proud enabler of the harassment of trans game devs, and guy who once typed the tweet 'the kind of sexuality i think is dope and playful comes from lesbian women'

he is a weird freak. guy who thought liking the right politics tweets a couple times made him a voice of authority who could do no wrong
as funny as the forcefem fanfic was the red strings club thing was loving shocking levels of editorial malpractice, and the level of hate they generated that still follows those guys around is entirely on austin walker

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

Huh, didn't know he was doing that. I'm not hungry for podcasts about star wars or tabletop game sessions so I haven't checked those out (I'm sure they're good, just not what I'd want) but covering a book series sounds good to this gamer.
their podcast watching through The Clone Wars TV show is super fun, I highly recommend it. Most of them go in blind(iirc Austin had watched some of the show when it originally aired but thats it) and the digging into the behind the scenes of the show is fascinating.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

as funny as the forcefem fanfic was the red strings club thing was loving shocking levels of editorial malpractice, and the level of hate they generated that still follows those guys around is entirely on austin walker

The devs poking fun at that situation in their latest game was funny at least. Still terrible how much hate they got from the waypoint crew though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do I want to know what the red strings club thing is

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

haveblue posted:

did an article harshly dragging an indie game for depicting transphobia under the apparent assumption that no team with trans people involved would ever dare do such a thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

it's an adventure game that has a puzzle where a password is someone's deadname, it's a good puzzle and also works narratively to establish that the guy who's password it is is kind of an rear end in a top hat. the waypoint review of the game comes out, calls the game transphobic, and their tweet about it was just "don't. deadname. ever" and a picture of the games logo. which incites a lot of hate from the supposedly progressive readers of waypoint. the writer it turns out, is trans and that specific puzzle is drawn from their real life experience. waypoint follows up with an article that's a little bit conciliatory but their conclusion is "it's still hateful and they shouldn't have done it", and austin specifically continued to use it as an example for awhile

meanwhile all that stuff also gets it labeled as a Gender Game so not only do the developers get hate from "allies" but also transphobes, waypoint hosed them from both sides

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i hate austin walker for his race and his queerness, but will reluctantly forgive him for his good work directing harassment against trans devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

their podcast watching through The Clone Wars TV show is super fun, I highly recommend it. Most of them go in blind(iirc Austin had watched some of the show when it originally aired but thats it) and the digging into the behind the scenes of the show is fascinating.

I'm sure it's good, it's more that I don't watch much tv these days and with those kinds of podcasts I know I'll get way more out of them if I'm familiar with the specifics of what they're talking about. Maybe some day if I ever sit down to watch it!