Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think a majority of modern North American wrestling promotions that have been on TV were at one point or another a gift from the bookers parents. At least 3 which is a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not anymore. She used to post as 'Pick'

:drat:

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think a majority of modern North American wrestling promotions that have been on TV were at one point or another a gift from the bookers parents. At least 3 which is a lot

Including WWE btw. Vince “bought” it for a steal.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

JethroMcB posted:

Blackpool Combat Club put the locker room on notice, we smokin' filtered crack, you stupid pieces of poo poo

I mean, one of the first things he talks about in his memoir is what the sensation of smoking crack is like.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

a dumb moron posted:

Including WWE btw. Vince “bought” it for a steal.

That's what gets me. People out here acting like Vince wasn't handed <cough> the territory with some of the most popular arenas in North America and wrestling's biggest attraction in Andre.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

That's what gets me. People out here acting like Vince wasn't handed <cough> the territory with some of the most popular arenas in North America and wrestling's biggest attraction in Andre.

Yeah but that happened a long time ago

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

it doesn't matter where Tony got his money cause Ospreay was specifically responding to a guy calling wrestlers lazy lol

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

nevermind

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
If an Australian has a accent like Rhea's they usually have some real hot takes about stuff

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

forkboy84 posted:

transphobic

But you repeat yourself. :haw:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not anymore. She used to post as 'Pick'

drat pick got swole

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Lid posted:

Danhausen would be one of the random in the bad fake play on purpose during the ending that drags forever. People complaining about Return if the King never had to sit through the entirety of Act 5 of Midsummer, perfect for Danhausen segments as they're both painfully unfunny but think they're art.

ok so this is a derail but in hs we did midsummer, and the guy who played our bottom was... i dont know how to explain it he was incredible, in the right time and place he'd be a tim and eric regular. he showed up to the audition wearing the seinfeld puffy shirt and had this really weird idiosyncratic way of speaking that sounded kind of like a duck trying to speak english, but also it bobbled up and down really well with iambic pentameter. he really truly was someone who saw himself as a thoughtful artist while also being an absolute bumbling goof. he wasnt in any of the higher drama classes and idk if he stuck around afterwards, none of us knew him and like, when the cast came out some ppl were kinda irked at this rando guy getting the lead but our director was like "no please oh my god you guys he is perfect you dont understand yet" and she was right. god she was right. bless u sean.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Gumball Gumption posted:

WWE, AEW, TNA, probably a lot of the territories

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This has been in my head for hours too.

"reach for my belt, you'll get turned into an example"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/theantimarkofpw/status/1779032310219727169

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Perry and Kingston both lose?

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Lamuella posted:

Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Perry and Kingston both lose?

You don't have to be right if you can just be stupid

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

He just hugged his neck, that's all.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

There’s also no indication Punk was ever suspended without pay either time he was suspended, is there?

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

If that was the second time Andrade had assaulted a coworker, tarnishing AEW's reputation once again and nearly ruining the biggest PPV in the company's history, I suspect he would have been poo poo canned as well.

https://twitter.com/Verpion_/status/1778936093045342487?t=5QXPPbNtiIAgtU8ZTLIJNw&s=19

Goblin Queen fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 13, 2024

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Circling back to the whole “:saddowns: AEW has wrestler run ins and I don’t know who they are! :saddowns:” thing:

I know Jack squat about Mina Shirakawa. All I know is she’s in Stardom and she’s popular. When she did the run in on Dynamite, I didn’t complain about who she was, I said “hey. She looks cool. I wanna see more of her.”

Done. That’s it. Why can’t people do that?

And now I’m watching Windy City Riot and I am seeing Alex Windsor for the first time. I have no idea who she is. But she looks cool. And I’d like to see more of her. It’s not complicated.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Wrestling is at its purest when you have no idea who anyone is and you pick a lifelong fave based on Vibes Alone.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Not only that but…look, you’ll figure out who everyone is eventually. Relax.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I didn't know who Ishii or Shibata were before I watched their G1 match. After that I didn't really need to know more things because I knew that "this guy is awesome" and "this other guy is awesome".

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
I remember trying to get my WWE fan brother-in-law to watch AEW and he said “I tried and turned it off after 30 minutes because I didn’t know who anyone was” and I was like yeah no poo poo you didn’t know who anyone was, it’s your first time watching a new product, what did you think you’d know??

He didn’t bash AEW by the way, he thought what he saw looked cool, it was just a baffling reason to turn it off to me.

a dumb moron fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 13, 2024

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

a dumb moron posted:

I remember trying to get my WWE fan brother-in-law to watch AEW and he said “I tried and turned it off after 30 minutes because I didn’t know who anyone was” and I was like yeah no poo poo you didn’t know who anyone was, it’s your first time watching a new product, what did you think you’d know??

He didn’t bash AEW by the way, he thought what he saw looked cool, it was just a baffling reason to turn it off to me.

turning off the radio when a new song comes on

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

a dumb moron posted:

is your brother-in-law blood related to you, forums poster a dumb moron? if so, i may have found the problem

but genuinely, i may have done something similar if i started watching by myself without someone to hold my hand a bit and answer my questions about who is who, or why so-and-so just hoofed that guy in the nuts backstage. it's tough to jump into something and have it stick when there's no real beginning, middle, or end to the product

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

a dumb moron posted:

Circling back to the whole “:saddowns: AEW has wrestler run ins and I don’t know who they are! :saddowns:” thing:

I know Jack squat about Mina Shirakawa. All I know is she’s in Stardom and she’s popular. When she did the run in on Dynamite, I didn’t complain about who she was, I said “hey. She looks cool. I wanna see more of her.”

Done. That’s it. Why can’t people do that?

And now I’m watching Windy City Riot and I am seeing Alex Windsor for the first time. I have no idea who she is. But she looks cool. And I’d like to see more of her. It’s not complicated.
wwe fans are conditioned into thinking that nothing a wrestler does outside of the WWE matters or is important. There are probably tons of WWE fans who say Giulia is one of the greatest women wrestlers of all time now specifically because she picked to sign with WWE, even if they hadn't heard her name before signing.

Until AEW first started a significant part of WWE fans would treat NXT the exact same way, they thought it was garbage wrestling, bunch of indy geeks nobody cared about and they'd have to pay their dues *again* once reaching the main roster. Actively rooting for NXT callups to fail. It's tribalism, that's really all it is.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

*watches a woman run in, hold Mariah May to her bosom, feed her champagne and give her a kiss*

"who is this? How am I supposed to know what's happening?"

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Eat This Glob posted:

is your brother-in-law blood related to you, forums poster a dumb moron? if so, i may have found the problem

but genuinely, i may have done something similar if i started watching by myself without someone to hold my hand a bit and answer my questions about who is who, or why so-and-so just hoofed that guy in the nuts backstage. it's tough to jump into something and have it stick when there's no real beginning, middle, or end to the product

II genuinely believe that the best way to get into a new promotion completely blind is to watch a round robin tournament. Watch one show, if there's one guy you really liked then watch the rest of their block matches, surely there'll be one or two more matches you really liked. If so, watch the rest that opponents block matches. Rinse and repeat until you have a handful of guys you jive with, eventually they'll interract with the rest of the roster and you're off to the races with a new product. It's how I got into All Japan and how I learned about the parts of the NOAH roster that weren't challenging Go Shiozaki during his god reign.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"watch the G1" is my standard advice for anyone trying to get into njpw. You will soon have a Guy.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
It doesn’t always work mind you. I’m watching Windy City Riot’s tag team 4-way and eh I only know half of these people and eh I don’t care

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Tampa Bae posted:

wwe fans are conditioned into thinking that nothing a wrestler does outside of the WWE matters or is important. There are probably tons of WWE fans who say Giulia is one of the greatest women wrestlers of all time now specifically because she picked to sign with WWE, even if they hadn't heard her name before signing.

Which is stupid because if nothing Giulia did before she signed with WWE matters, then why is it good that she signed?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

a dumb moron posted:

Which is stupid because if nothing Giulia did before she signed with WWE matters, then why is it good that she signed?
because now she will be the best wrestler in the world for the WWE, so retroactively, she becomes an incredible wrestler. If she had signed with AEW or gone to Rossi's new promotion she would have just been another passing potshot in a Triple H scrum like Will Osperay

It really isn't difficult to predict what a WWE fans opinion on someone new to them will be.

A) They were one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, and now they're coming to the big leagues
B) They were trained wrong by AEW on purpose, and need some time re-learning to wrestle
C) (If they signed somewhere else) Couldn't handle the grind, wouldn't have made it in the WWE, total nobodies.

They treat WWE like the only wrestling promotion that matters because most of the time it's just the only one they watch, and for some reason they treat the WWE like a local sports team with an intense rivalry against every other wrestling promotion

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Wrestling is at its purest when you have no idea who anyone is and you pick a lifelong fave based on Vibes Alone.

That IS why I loved the Junkyard Dog as a kid. He was having fun and dancing and came out to Queen!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The best feeling in wrestling is watching a couple of shows of an unfamiliar promotion and learning what everyone's deal is, and then seeing someone who is a really big deal (for that crowd) and learning why that's so.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I genuinely wonder how many WWE fans would correctly pronounce Giulia before Wrestlemania weekend.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I'm hiding the link behind the spoiler tag for the benefit of those who haven't watched Windy City Riot yet, but man, Triple H fans are not sending their best:

https://twitter.com/numberOneFan365/status/1778993166131077303

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
when I dont know who a wrestler is I simply google them and wonder no more