Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ep8 I'm curious what Hank's plan is. Run to Vegas and hope that Mr. House can help him? That'll depend on what condition House is in when he gets there.

Also as for Cooper searching for his family it's going to be a great irony if they're in the Vault 31 control group on ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I liked how Rappaport got a cameo as a lovely cowardly loser who sucks and dies like a dog.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

I liked how Rappaport got a cameo as a lovely cowardly loser who sucks and dies like a dog.

Rappaport after Mykelti Williamson with Goggins in the show made one think they were some Justified fans on the show, which is right and proper.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Robert House, sole proprietor of the New Vegas Strip, Rob-Co CEO, 2281 posted:

By 2065 I deemed it a mathematical certainty that an atomic war would devastate the Earth within 15 years. Every projection I ran confirmed it. [...] I set to work immediately. I thought I had plenty of time to prepare. As it turned out, I was 20 hours short.

Episode 8(? The last two episodes kind of meld together) Spoilers: 20 hours short despite knowing his pals were the ones pressing the button.

Sinclair being the representative for Big Mountain doesn't make sense, he was a patsy, he wouldn't be able to make decisions for them unlike the literal CEO of Rob-Co or the head scientist of the FEV project.

Edit: Also good to know that Vault 111 in Fallout 4 was a complete waste of resources. Why would they have a Vault to test long term cryogenic stasis when they think it works well enough to be using it as-is in Vault 31? It made sense when the Vaults were funded by the proto-Enclave for their plans to leave the Earth, but not as this last ditch attempt to get the other companies to fund Vault-Tec.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 13, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
House also says that cats are extinct. Maybe he isn't as omniscient as people think he is.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

LashLightning posted:

Episode 8(? The last two episodes kind of meld together) Spoilers: 20 hours short despite knowing his pals were the ones pressing the button.

Sinclair being the representative for Big Mountain doesn't make sense, he was a patsy, he wouldn't be able to make decisions for them unlike the literal CEO of Rob-Co or the head scientist of the FEV project.

Edit: Also good to know that Vault 111 in Fallout 4 was a complete waste of resources. Why would they have a Vault to test long term cryogenic stasis when they think it works well enough to be using it as-is in Vault 31? It made sense when the Vaults were funded by the proto-Enclave for their plans to leave the Earth, but not as this last ditch attempt to get the other companies to fund Vault-Tec.

I think Vault 111 was supposed to be for the far future, like hundreds or thousands of years. It had a 180-day survival timer so the people who were not frozen, nor their descendants, were not meant to stay there and de-thaw them afterwards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ep8:
Someone has been mapping out the Vaults from that one scene in ep8.
https://twitter.com/Tunnelsnakefool/status/1778988255314346144?t=ivsOXTsxDzvy_THj3baJow&s=19

Props to Brandon Manitoba for having the one and only vault in Canada.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

the actor who plays maximus does a really good job. he's very funny and interesting to watch, his reactions to things are often not what you'd expect and i like how him and lucy complement each other by being completely ignorant of different things.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah in vault 4, he is completely unfazed by the mutants there because theres probably other freaks in the wasteland.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Brotherhood Education ain't what it used to be once they started taking in Wastelanders.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Arc Hammer posted:

Ep8:
https://twitter.com/Tunnelsnakefool/status/1778988255314346144?t=ivsOXTsxDzvy_THj3baJow&s=19

I want to know more about the Manitoba vault now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Brotherhood Education ain't what it used to be once they started taking in Wastelanders.

I like how the BoS is apparently weird about sex but even that makes sense as I recall you get an assigned partner in New Vegas, which is why what's her name took off because she was for the ladies.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Chad Todd to the Virgin Gamer: I destroyed Vvardenfell and I will destroy Vegas too :dehumanize:

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

yeah, in retrospect the fallout series deserved to end. Would have been quite the even series with FO1, FO2, Tactics and BOS. What the hell man.

Wasn't my point and apropos nothing, I actually liked Tactics. Chill.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

I like how the BoS is apparently weird about sex but even that makes sense as I recall you get an assigned partner in New Vegas, which is why what's her name took off because she was for the ladies.

Christine didn't exactly take off. Elijah forcibly separated her from Veronica and then she got picked up by the Circle of Steel (the Brotherhood's clandestine internal affairs) to hunt Elijah down after he went rogue. She didn't leave as much as she was forced out by a crazy man with ulterior motives.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Ep8:

Speaking of Ep.8 I really enjoyed how the shot of the US overlaid with the vault locations with the shape and framing of the lighting in the room made the whole thing look like a massive mushroom cloud. Nice cinematography there.

roomtone posted:

the actor who plays maximus does a really good job. he's very funny and interesting to watch, his reactions to things are often not what you'd expect and i like how him and lucy complement each other by being completely ignorant of different things.

Him and Thaddeus being total morons with the power armor was great. Maximus' actor does a great job in this; he gets the best laughs in the show too, and the show alternating between which of him and Lucy is oblivious to what works really well (like the Fiend scene). Max getting everything he wanted and hating every second of it by the end is also a fun way to take where the Brotherhood is going, with the head scribe/elder wanting him as an exemplar.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 13, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Dezinuh/status/1779178683841790068?t=Hd80yEDe7tY7L_wjvUIw4w&s=19

Hey Nate, gently caress you and your dipshit doomsday son.

(He should have been the shooter, Emil. A bystander who is still part of the annexation of a sovereign country is still a poo poo)

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I emailed Todd and he sent me the script for season 2. This is how episode one opens:

The camera pans over New Vegas. You hear a muffled *thunk* and then a few seconds later a mushroom cloud erupts over New Vegas. The camera cuts back to Hank putting down a fat man. Cut back to a view of New Vegas. The mushroom cloud clears away and past the wreckage of New Vegas, the capitol wasteland can be seen. "Ah, there we go. That piece of poo poo town is out of my way and I can see the path to a good location, constructed by geniuses" says Hank. "Now that I have nuked New Vegas, anything that ever happened there or in the surrounding area never existed."

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Ep8 I'm curious what Hank's plan is. Run to Vegas and hope that Mr. House can help him? That'll depend on what condition House is in when he gets there.

Also as for Cooper searching for his family it's going to be a great irony if they're in the Vault 31 control group on ice.

Goggins refers to the person in where Hank was going as to the person "behind the wheel." It could mean anything but it implies there has been communication and Hank and the 31ers have been working for House or whoever is in charge in Vegas for season 2 (since like I've said it looks like the New Vegas game has been retconned out).

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I absolutely loved just how desperate Bud seemed for Cooper to like him and think he’s cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cojawfee posted:

I emailed Todd and he sent me the script for season 2. This is how episode one opens:

The camera pans over New Vegas. You hear a muffled *thunk* and then a few seconds later a mushroom cloud erupts over New Vegas. The camera cuts back to Hank putting down a fat man. Cut back to a view of New Vegas. The mushroom cloud clears away and past the wreckage of New Vegas, the capitol wasteland can be seen. "Ah, there we go. That piece of poo poo town is out of my way and I can see the path to a good location, constructed by geniuses" says Hank. "Now that I have nuked New Vegas, anything that ever happened there or in the surrounding area never existed."

lol

Little surprised there wasn't a Fat Man in the show tbh. It's become pretty iconic for the series now imo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

lol

Little surprised there wasn't a Fat Man in the show tbh. It's become pretty iconic for the series now imo

There was a mini nuke in the Filly shop.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of Ep.8 I really enjoyed how the shot of the US overlaid with the vault locations with the shape and framing of the lighting in the room made the whole thing look like a massive mushroom cloud. Nice cinematography there.

That was a big nod to the war room from Dr Strangelove IMO

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I am enjoying the rewatch for things you missed from the "big reveal".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Worst part of the show is now I wanna replay all of the fallout games and I don't have the time for that

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Cut to Mutants being the enemy again

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I was surprised they waited until the very end of the show to show a hint of a Deathclaw.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

I was surprised they waited until the very end of the show to show a hint of a Deathclaw.

Honestly, one of the things I was happiest about with the show was the restraint they showed in not throwing deathclaws and supermutants and synths and etc. into it immediately. It helped an awful lot with the focus they were going for, and it leaves a lot of Falloutisms to go into for future seasons.

I liked the show more than I thought I was going to. The fanservice was notable without being enormously distracting, they pulled off the tone and the character arcs were pretty well done.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

CarlCX posted:

Honestly, one of the things I was happiest about with the show was the restraint they showed in not throwing deathclaws and supermutants and synths and etc. into it immediately. It helped an awful lot with the focus they were going for, and it leaves a lot of Falloutisms to go into for future seasons.

I liked the show more than I thought I was going to. The fanservice was notable without being enormously distracting, they pulled off the tone and the character arcs were pretty well done.

I am actually surprised they didnt include mutants Maybe the budget did not allow it but i was looking forward to the Nightkin addicted to Sealthboys

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rabid Snake posted:

I am actually surprised they didnt include mutants Maybe the budget did not allow it but i was looking forward to the Nightkin addicted to Sealthboys

There's a hint of a Nightkin I think - at the Enclave, you see a dark blue mutant arm emerging from under a sheet on a gurney.

It's a blink and you miss it though.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

CarlCX posted:

when they do introduce those elements, like the gulper and it's mouth full of fingers the reasons why they exist are woven back into the narrative in a cohesive way... that also doubles-down on the weird. I'm not gonna add up the minutes, but it wouldn't surprise me if they dedicated an eighth of the run-time to flashbacks

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

moths posted:

There's a hint of a Nightkin I think - at the Enclave, you see a dark blue mutant arm emerging from under a sheet on a gurney.

It's a blink and you miss it though.

I missed this I’ll look for it holy poo poo

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Just wrapped up the season and it was way better than I expected. Goggins and Purnell knocked it out of the park my only real gripe is how underdeveloped the Brotherhood storyline felt in comparison. Really liked how everything tied together at the end though.

As usual it turned out the most vocal outcry against the show was a bunch of bullshit. All the stuff the nerds are saying are hard retcons really aren't, and they wouldn't include loving Mr House and tease going to New Vegas for season 2 if those games never happened. I am however still not a fan of wiping the NCR out in the way they did. Hopefully that does get fleshed out in season 2.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its not the entire NCR, its shady sands. The actual NCR citizens are shown in a somewhat ambiguous heroic light.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did anyone else feel weirded out by the effects on Chris Parnell? Not the fact that he had one eye, but that it seemed like they couldn't figure out how to do it sometimes. At certain angles, it seems like they couldn't get the CG right and it looks off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was off. A little to the left. Max pointed it out and I think it was intentional.

Some CGI that I don't think was intentional was young Hank looking super weird in the flashback when Cooper first meets him as "Henry." I don't think they meant it but the whole scene looked like Kyle McLachlan's face had been painted over someone's head and it ended up looking like the wonky effects of the FO3 Character Creator screen.

On the filmmaking side of things I'm not sure I really like the soft focus lens they used. Mostly because it felt really inconsistent. Sometimes the screen edge was hazy and blurred from the soft focus but other times the entire image was super sharp.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 13, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Shallow focus is the bane of current cinematic trends.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Just wrapped up the season and it was way better than I expected. Goggins and Purnell knocked it out of the park my only real gripe is how underdeveloped the Brotherhood storyline felt in comparison. Really liked how everything tied together at the end though.

As usual it turned out the most vocal outcry against the show was a bunch of bullshit. All the stuff the nerds are saying are hard retcons really aren't, and they wouldn't include loving Mr House and tease going to New Vegas for season 2 if those games never happened. I am however still not a fan of wiping the NCR out in the way they did. Hopefully that does get fleshed out in season 2.

You can still have elements from things that are retconned. It's like how there was the original Thrawn trilogy in the 90s and now there is new Thrawn content fitting into the new sequel trilogy timeline. Just because they are using elements from New Vegas doesn't mean the game isn't getting retconned.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
How is the game getting retconned if something is happening there afterwards. At most you can say they will pick a canon ending for the game and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

you sure showed those dumb nerds