Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Accept and then watch NOTHING but 24 hour looping seasons of Raised by Wolves.

If it's just a watch, maybe they could leave the watch in a room with the 24/7-loop? Does it need to feel a heartbeat to register a viewer?

This all sounds very cyberpunk dystopia, not gonna lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rappaport posted:

If it's just a watch, maybe they could leave the watch in a room with the 24/7-loop?

Well, they could... but why would they? :confused:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

X-O posted:

Apparently the way it works now is that you get a little wristwatch device that you wear while watching any kind of media and there are embedded audio signals that humans can't hear but the watches pick up. Guess that beats writing stuff down like they did years ago.

We've been monitoring our Nielsen families carefully and during the 12 seconds Bender was onscreen viewer eyeball focus was up 90%.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just finished two episodes of Fallout and whichever goon said that the pacing was off and every scene just goes on for way too long is spot on. This show needs better, tighter editing. I'll probably keep watching if only for Goggins, but all the Brotherhood of Steel stuff is boring as heck.

For reference, I never played the games and have no knowledge of the backstory beyond what I've seen in the show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I saw a few episode of the office. That show just felt unconfortable in a sad way.
Was the show always like that, or did it just age really badly?
For reference it was the first three episodes of season 3.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's been years since I've seen it but from what I remember that's basically what it is for at least the first couple of seasons, and to a somewhat lesser extent throughout. Michael will always be an idiot, but he does become less, idk, aggravating? Kinda like the Homer Simpson development but in reverse, where he starts out as an rear end in a top hat idiot but turns into a more goofy, less mean spirited idiot. The show does mellow out a bit and focus more on the relationships in sort of bittersweet, melancholic way, but it's from a time where cringe comedy was the big thing. It relies a lot on the characters so to really be able to enjoy it you kinda need to get invested in the whole Pam/Jim thing (and later Dwight and the others), but if you're not enjoying the comedy I wouldn't say it's worth the investment.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 13, 2024

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I agree after just watching the Fallout pilot, they could've shortened every scene by several minutes to add a bunch of extra stuff, and the iconic scene where the vault door opens and the sunlight makes it so you can't see poo poo? That should've happened 20 minutes into the episode tops. Not right at the end.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Cactus posted:

I agree after just watching the Fallout pilot, they could've shortened every scene by several minutes to add a bunch of extra stuff, and the iconic scene where the vault door opens and the sunlight makes it so you can't see poo poo? That should've happened 20 minutes into the episode tops. Not right at the end.

But it's the perfect place to cut the episode. Why over complicate it, we got good backstory, character intoductions, the raid, the aftermath and the decision to go outside done and dusted without condensing it in a rush to blow your load on the outside. And it helped setup the events for 33 later on.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 13, 2024

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

But it's the perfect place to cut the episode. Why over complicate it, we got good backstory, character intoductions, the raid, the aftermath and the decision to go outside done and dusted without condensing it in a rush to blow your load on the outside. And it helped setup the events for 33 later on.

Sure, but then you have to make all of that 50 minutes of backstory and exposition compelling and for me, because of the aformentioned slightly too-long-paced scene lengths where not a lot happens for minutes at a time, it only partially landed. The vault stuff was ok, the raid was fun and all, but the Brotherhood of Steel parts were the main offenders. It was like that bit at the start of every epic fantasy book where you get a load of exposition with Proper Nouns and loads of names and concepts and ceremonies that you're told are really important, but you don't give a poo poo about any of it because you've only just been introduced; you've been told how to feel about Thing, not shown Thing and then left to decide for yourself how to feel. I'm told this is storytelling 101...?

I'll watch the rest*, I didn't overall dislike it, and it isn't anything that can't be fixed. It got great reviews across the board so I don't think I'll have a bad time regardless of my nitpicks, but it was a very valid criticism of the first episode in my opinion.

*once I've finished From - I'm enjoying that show a lot right now so I'm going to call it underrated.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a lot of shows where I feel scenes go on too long but Fallout isn’t one of them. The opening BoS scenes aren’t super interesting but I don’t think that’s something that could be fixed just via some trimming.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The BoS introduction should've been episode 2 or 3 and would've worked better done through the POV of Ella's character discovering them imo, but I always found them to be a boring faction anyway from what little I interacted with them in the games so maybe that's just the answer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cactus posted:

The BoS introduction should've been episode 2 or 3 and would've worked better done through the POV of Ella's character discovering them imo, but I always found them to be a boring faction anyway from what little I interacted with them in the games so maybe that's just the answer.

The cutting between those plots makes the way they filmed the scene where she leaves the Vault very odd.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah her seeing the surface didn’t have as much of an impact when we’re already seen scenes set on the surface

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think her “seeing the surface” moment was walking around the corner to see the coast and the Santa Monica Pier

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Taeke posted:

It's been years since I've seen it but from what I remember that's basically what it is for at least the first couple of seasons, and to a somewhat lesser extent throughout. Michael will always be an idiot, but he does become less, idk, aggravating? Kinda like the Homer Simpson development but in reverse, where he starts out as an rear end in a top hat idiot but turns into a more goofy, less mean spirited idiot. The show does mellow out a bit and focus more on the relationships in sort of bittersweet, melancholic way, but it's from a time where cringe comedy was the big thing. It relies a lot on the characters so to really be able to enjoy it you kinda need to get invested in the whole Pam/Jim thing (and later Dwight and the others), but if you're not enjoying the comedy I wouldn't say it's worth the investment.

The key to The Office is to realize that every single character is a completely terrible person.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's Always Sunny in Scranton

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ucGt_Xp14
Trailer for Apple TV's adaption of the Blake Crouch novel, Dark Matter. While this is a multiverse story if it follows the book it'll tackle some interesting consequences of infinite universes.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
looks cool, good cast. Jennifer Connelly is always welcome on my screen (and Jimmi Simpson!)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix was supposed to be turning another Blake Crouch book into a series, Recursion, but there doesn't look to be any news about it other than the initial announcement. Recursion had a really fun premise where time travel is invented, instantly becomes abused but everyone is aware of the timeline changing once it reaches the point where the person who changed it went back in time.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I have started watching Australian Border security. This has become my new background show. I don't know how or why it got in my YouTube feed. However I find it oddly enjoyable.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 13, 2024

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

joebuddah posted:

I have started watching Australian Border security. This has become my new background show. I don't know how or why it got in my YouTube feed. However I find it oddly enjoyable.

Yikes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trying to get into Three Body? Problem! and the dialogue is awful. Paired with a lot of bad performances too.

The storyline is promising but I'm not sure I can push thru.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ucGt_Xp14
Trailer for Apple TV's adaption of the Blake Crouch novel, Dark Matter. While this is a multiverse story if it follows the book it'll tackle some interesting consequences of infinite universes.

The book is great, i wish i hadn't read it so i could read it again.

joebuddah posted:

Ahhha, you found the propaganda channel.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I guess it just amazes me as an American that people don't have their bags x-rayed when boarding an airplane in their home country.

A lot of the things I see people get flagged when going through customs in Australia, you couldn't bring on an airplane in the US

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This week on Beacon 23: extremely antisocial office fantasy.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Open Source Idiom posted:

This week on Beacon 23: extremely antisocial office fantasy.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Maybe that's how we all die, AIs talking in office speak until one of them goes postal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was so annoyed watching SNL a few weeks ago because they had Kate McKinnon host and yet didn't do an alien abduction sketch.

Welp they must have heard me, Ryan Gosling hosted last night and to my surprise, Kate came back for a sequel.

Not as good as the original of course but man I love that character

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've come to quite enjoy A Gentleman In Moscow. Real life couples can often not translate particularly well on screen, but McGregor and Winstead have sweet chemistry. The entire thing is a bit of a war romance really, with perhaps a few budding couples in the supporting cast set against an ongoing conflict in the background of events. It also very strongly reminds me of A Little Princess.

I'm pretty sure I'd hate the lead if I met him in real life though, lmfao, but he works in this. Apparently Brannagh was originally attached to play the lead, and while that's fine casting I don't think I'd have liked him as much as I do McGregor in the role.

Edit: the wikipedia page, predictably, has an entry about the ahistorical choice to cast black actors in roles in this production, which is bananas because there are also loving Scots here. I like that everyone's reads and writes in Cyrillic but speak various different British accents, as I do the aspect ratio and lighting changing for flashbacks. It adds to the magical realism of the thing in a text that's already pretty heavy on metaphor.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 14, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, but early on it seemed like its whole deal was "it's a YouTube cooking show but takes place in a fantasy dungeon" where the majority of the episode was about discussing the ingredients, ecology, and the way they cook and I thought that was very fun. After a while it felt like it was becoming a standard fantasy adventure anime but they'd just arbitrarily have a scene where they ate food and I wasn't into that nearly as much.

I've been told that the manga eventually gets back to being a cooking show though.

It's funny because I dropped Delicious In Dungeon after episode 1 because the idea of a cooking show about things that aren't real felt really boring. I liked the characters and the setting but I couldn't be bothered with the conceit. I didn't mind the idea of a BIT of cooking but it so utterly enveloped the first episode that I thought "okay this isn't for me"

You saying this has made me want have another try.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m not a big anime dude but it’s been pretty excellent.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Delicious in Dungeon rules

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hear me out....

The fact we have a picture fuckin perfect BJ Blazkowicz in our midst yet no Wolfenstein adaptation in production is a crime.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm hearing you and I like what I hear

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird thing about watching through all of the 90s X-Men animated series was how every once in a while you'd get a bizarrely animated episode. Like s5e5 where everyone is completely off model and it is animated much more cartoony. Like the animation looks like an FMV animated videogame.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Hear me out....

The fact we have a picture fuckin perfect BJ Blazkowicz in our midst yet no Wolfenstein adaptation in production is a crime.

I wonder if TV studios still have loads of old Nazi costumes and props laying around, apparently this was partly what prompted the Nazi Star Trek episode?

Although I remember reading that they burnt all the Nazi costumes and props after The Man in the High Castle wrapped, so maybe not

But yeah anyway, bring B.J. Blazkowicz to teevee, with an option to produce the obligatory Commander Keen and DooM sequel series :hist101:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this! posted:

The weird thing about watching through all of the 90s X-Men animated series was how every once in a while you'd get a bizarrely animated episode. Like s5e5 where everyone is completely off model and it is animated much more cartoony. Like the animation looks like an FMV animated videogame.

I think they changed animation studios in the last season or so

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mordiceius posted:

Hear me out....

:captainpop:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Finished the first episode of the Sympathizer, good stuff, but drat that was rough.

America, never abandoning countries since <DATA NOT FOUND>

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was excited to find out Park Chan Wook was producer and director. But he only directed half of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The other directors are Fernando Meirelles, co-director of City of God and currently doing decent work on Sugar, and Marc Munden, lead director on Utopia which despite being one of the most overrated shows of the last decade is definitely very very nice to look at, so I think they will be fine continuing the standard set by PCW, especially as he’s a showrunner/writer on the project as well as director. Anyway episode 1 was really good.