Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol the stars say you're a bitch mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Well I am now :mad:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mercury is in retrograde and also your rear end

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
magic is an extremely bougie thing lmao. basically the entire modern concept of it was born from mid 19th century spiritualism, a movement popular among such salt of the earth types as mary todd and abraham lincoln.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
one of the first PC games i ever bought was alien vs predator and that was the right choice because that game still kicks rear end

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
new aliens vr game gonna be tiiiiight

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Note Block posted:

new aliens vr game gonna be tiiiiight

Whaaaaa

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gaming will not be perfected until they add a way for me to feel the chestburster bursting out of my chest

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
If you die in the game you die in real life

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

symbolic posted:

go off i guess on this bitch of a toilet earth, you do you sweetie but be a better human, and one more thing: [sighs]

*checks notes*

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

magic is an extremely bougie thing lmao. basically the entire modern concept of it was born from mid 19th century spiritualism, a movement popular among such salt of the earth types as mary todd and abraham lincoln.

"modern magic" is as broad a category as "modern religion." The reason for this is that for most of human history the term "magic" has been a polemic for "non-normative religious practice"

this goes all the way back to ancient Greece and then look! just like you said, mid-19th century spiritualism cemented it.

Bernd-Christian Otto posted:

In Antiquity, some authors claim, "magic" functioned only as a polemical term to stigmatize and exclude others (named "the religion of the other, 22 "the dangerous other, 23 the "theological opposition"),24 or, in other words, to "squelch, avenge, or discredit undesirable behavior."25 Harold Remus, who investigated the 2nd and 3rd century controversy between Christian and Graeco-Roman authors on the miraculous abilities of Jesus of Nazareth and, among others, Apollonius of Tana, describes the conflict as a "competition in naming: affirming miracle of the extraordinary phenomena of one's own group and denying the name to those of rival groups."26 The ancient terminological dualism [...] can functionally be reduced, Remus claims, to the conceptual creation of discursive boundaries: between "us" and "them," between "inside" and "outside," and between "true" and "false."27 Charles R. Phillips III adds that these arbitrary and highly judgmental ancient demarcations of discursive boundaries ushered into academic discourse in the late 19th century and, thereby, decisively influenced the scholarly controversy on "magic" as a whole.28

as a magician, I

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one of the first PC games i ever bought was alien vs predator and that was the right choice because that game still kicks rear end

The beat-em-up avp game was the first one me and my friends ever beat in an actual arcade

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

"modern magic" is as broad a category as "modern religion."

Actually it just means all the standard-legal sets from Mirrodin onward, plus Modern Horizons 1 and 2 and The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lord of the rings is NOT canon to magic

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
but The Walking Dead is

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
in the roguelike Sil all the magic the player can learn and use is based on singing

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Half of Dracula posted:

but The Walking Dead is

killing carl with the perfect deck...

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Non-normative Religious Practice: The Gathering

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Actually it just means all the standard-legal sets from Mirrodin onward, plus Modern Horizons 1 and 2 and The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth.

anything beyond Standard and EDH is alien and scary

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Non-normative Religious Practice: The Gathering

:lmao: I'll admit it doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Motherfuck Modern Horizons

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

favourite modern magic retards are the people on r/alchemy that are convinced that covering everything in their own piss is the way to create a philosophers stone

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you spell magick with a k it's more powerful

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
magic the gathering alchemy is bad

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dongicus posted:

favourite modern magic retards are the people on r/alchemy that are convinced that covering everything in their own piss is the way to create a philosophers stone

R. Kelly was a prophet

e: nvm i didn't actually know how hosed up R. Kelly was

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yeah being developed by Survios!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
alien isolation was......... good

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
It is as the stars foretold

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

symbolic posted:

R. Kelly was a prophet

e: nvm i didn't actually know how hosed up R. Kelly was

Lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Thinking about how one of the main creators of Mage: The Ascension, Phil Brucato, legally changed his name to "Satyros" and when he was brought back to White Wolf to create Mage: 20th Anniversary Edition, he noted in the book that he would not provide textual examples of spells because he didn't want to give anyone the ability to cast dangerous magics IRL.

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Apr 13, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thinking about how one of the main creators of Mage: The Ascension, Phil Brucato, legally changed his name to "Satyros" and when he was brought back to White Wolf to create Mage: 20th Anniversary Edition, he noted in the book that he would not provide textual examples of spells because he didn't want to give anyone the ability to cast dangerous magics IRL.

i always thought most white wolf players had an innate knowledge of 1st level conjuration spells like grease.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dongicus posted:

Stared real hard at this post for 10 seconds before realizing this wasn't about magic the gathering

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Even if he wasn't, he was

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I logged into Facebook right after that post and the first thing I see is somebody I went to school with trying to sell 2 black lotuses for 200k on Facebook marketplace

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rodbeard posted:

I logged into Facebook right after that post and the first thing I see is somebody I went to school with trying to sell 2 black lotuses for 200k on Facebook marketplace

drat... rich as hell

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would simply buy a replica black lotus

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
peeing on things marks them on the ethereal plane

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dongicus posted:

Here I was just doing it as a hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Cranappleberry posted:

peeing on things marks them on the ethereal plane

nursing homes must look like the emperor's throne in warhammer 40k on the astral plane.