Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really, really wish it turns out alright but nothing in the video indicates they dealt with any of the demo's issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If I'm able to take the lid off of a toilet bowl tank and adjust the float, I'll know that FPS games have finally made the next big step in FPS technology

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If I'm able to take the lid off of a toilet bowl tank and adjust the float, I'll know that FPS games have finally made the next big step in FPS technology

Fastidious Plumber Simulator

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deakul posted:

What is Phantom Fury?

It's an FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Phantom Fury heroes!

So it'll be quietly a significantly better game than a similar one that launches at the same time, containing features its more successful competitor spends 5 years trying to introduce then giving up on and circling the drain instead?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I played through Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 over the past month, and am currently working through Plutonia and TNT. I gotta say, the games still hold up extremely well even against modern shooters. The weapon and monster design is just so good and I find myself really thinking through what makes each map and encounter work. Just the combination of what the different monsters can do and what you can do to counter them is great.

I decided to keep things as close to the original as possible, so I've been playing with PRBoom+ with some of the graphics smoothing options enabled. The art style still works well today. It's just crazy how much fun I'm still having with a 31 year old game that I used to play as a kid.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vargatron posted:

I decided to keep things as close to the original as possible, so I've been playing with PRBoom+ with some of the graphics smoothing options enabled.
:gonk:

And DSDA-Doom is a successor to (and fork of) PRBoom+ if you're interested in a more actively developed port that still sticks to the same classic design ethos

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Are you enjoying TNT?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vargatron posted:

a 31 year old game

:negative:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Volte posted:

:gonk:

And DSDA-Doom is a successor to (and fork of) PRBoom+ if you're interested in a more actively developed port that still sticks to the same classic design ethos

Yes... I know I know... I like the smudged look lol.

In Training posted:

Are you enjoying TNT?

I'm on like map 12 of TNT and it seems fine so far. I'm on map 9 of Plutonia but overall I think Plutonia has the better design, even with the difficulty.

The was one map of TNT that had to have like 300 hitscanners in it. Some kind of Hangar level I think. But I'm playing on UV so I'm probably asking for the toughest encounters lol.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I bought a CRT a few weeks ago and played Doom on it for the first time today (started an UV, pistol start run and trying not to save mid-level).

Now I don’t know if this is just my brain trying to fill things in that aren’t there to justify this silly purchase, but I’m getting a real sense of “this is how it’s meant to be played”. In particular with the darkness of the levels. Dark areas are now.. really loving dark. Like, pitch black. It’s restored some of the horror to the experience for sure. Finding the night vision goggles to navigate areas like the end of E1M5 now feels essential in a way I don’t recall from recent play throughs on more modern displays.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Yes... I know I know... I like the smudged look lol.

I'm on like map 12 of TNT and it seems fine so far. I'm on map 9 of Plutonia but overall I think Plutonia has the better design, even with the difficulty.

The was one map of TNT that had to have like 300 hitscanners in it. Some kind of Hangar level I think. But I'm playing on UV so I'm probably asking for the toughest encounters lol.

MAP09 Stronghold is the TNT map you’re thinking of. It’s infamous for the ton of hit scanners.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bumhead posted:

I bought a CRT a few weeks ago and played Doom on it for the first time today (started an UV, pistol start run and trying not to save mid-level).

Now I don’t know if this is just my brain trying to fill things in that aren’t there to justify this silly purchase, but I’m getting a real sense of “this is how it’s meant to be played”. In particular with the darkness of the levels. Dark areas are now.. really loving dark. Like, pitch black. It’s restored some of the horror to the experience for sure. Finding the night vision goggles to navigate areas like the end of E1M5 now feels essential in a way I don’t recall from recent play throughs on more modern displays.

Depending on source port and renderer, you can make it pitch black on modern monitors as well. I'd still love to have a CRT monitor sitting around to really get the original experience down. Too bad they're so heavy!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Vargatron posted:

Depending on source port and renderer, you can make it pitch black on modern monitors as well. I'd still love to have a CRT monitor sitting around to really get the original experience down. Too bad they're so heavy!

Only if you're on OLED. If you're playing on an LCD there's always gonna be a backlight so pitch black won't actually look pitch black. There's LCD monitors with local dimming, but even the higher end ones don't quite match the contrast you get on CRT or OLED

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone have good settings for system shock remake on steam deck?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone have good settings for system shock remake on steam deck?

I had a bit of a play around the other night with the new update and found the standard settings, except with dedicated full screen ran very well / looked good.

I was using the Proton-GE 9.2 as well for compatibility, which may have helped things.

Mouse gyro aiming worked very well with the standard controller setup as well - no stutter between changing between the two styles as you sometimes get.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Bumhead posted:

I have an OG XBox hooked up to a 19” CRT for this exact reason. Doom 3 and Half-life 2 look pretty decent as well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol, I can't think of another mod that's just missing the point as much as this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/wrath-aeon-of-ruin-4x-ai-textures

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Lol, I can't think of another mod that's just missing the point as much as this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/wrath-aeon-of-ruin-4x-ai-textures

congrats, you just made me learn a url can make me angry

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

Hey you don't know it isn't worth the 12GB download to play with bigger jaypegs :mad:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Milo and POTUS posted:

Artifice used to mean skillfully crafted :colbert:

Screw you for making me double-check myself. My use of it has been correct since the 16th century!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

victrix posted:

I mean it doesn’t make any sense for Wrath, but using a neural network to upscale images (textures) is completely standard stuff. It’s exactly the kind of poo poo people have been calling AI for years prior to this recent wave of poo poo, too. It’s completely unobjectionable imo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yeah it's not generative poo poo so it's Fine

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
On the other hand, the grand majority of up-rez mods I've seen look like poo poo because it turns out just slapping ultra HD 4k textures on 30 year old geometry looks awful. Or they fail to realize cranking up the density of detail across the board hurts to look at.

What I'm saying is, people claim they love Morrowind but sometimes they do truly despicable things to it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If anyone is actually mad about it then they need help

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

skasion posted:

Since I posted this, someone has stepped up to the plate and provided a Marathon Infinity fan soundtrack plugin!

Preview available on Bandcamp

Well poo poo, after seeing this, I had to give playing Infinity another go because who can say no to a soundtrack like that.

Managed to make progress surprisingly quickly from where I last left off, which was in the middle of one of the dream sequences.

Playing some Hexen lately probably helped with grokking the "go here and it arbitrarily affects something over there" puzzle logic.

Naturally it felt a lot less mindless with music to lend some proper atmosphere to proceedings.

John Murdoch posted:

On the other hand, the grand majority of up-rez mods I've seen look like poo poo because it turns out just slapping ultra HD 4k textures on 30 year old geometry looks awful. Or they fail to realize cranking up the density of detail across the board hurts to look at.

I've come to call this phenomenon cacoscopy, like cacophony but for your eyes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Bishop posted:

I've come to call this phenomenon cacoscopy, like cacophony but for your eyes.

Before I read the 2nd half of this sentence I would have bet money you were going to say it was in reference to upscaling the cacodemon sprite until you could see up its butthole, a cacodemon colonoscopy if you will.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Takes No Damage posted:

Before I read the 2nd half of this sentence I would have bet money you were going to say it was in reference to upscaling the cacodemon sprite until you could see up its butthole, a cacodemon colonoscopy if you will.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

System Shock looks and plays great on deck. Only (big) issue is the text is tiiiiny

e: https://www.nexusmods.com/systemshock2023/mods/42 gonna try this

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 14, 2024

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just need mod that changes lady hacker's nails to black.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

What I'm saying is, people claim they love Morrowind but sometimes they do truly despicable things to it.

I don’t disagree (hence saying it makes no sense for Wrath), just pointing out it is a legit normal thing used for many games and stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Just need mod that changes lady hacker's nails to black.

This. Pink and blue? Atrocious

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

skasion posted:

This. Pink and blue? Atrocious

Blahaj intensifies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

The best use of it has been for PSX backgrounds. That poo poo is cool.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/gvy_dvpont/status/1779234987180482658
:cursed:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

there are a lot of people on the earth who have no aesthetic sense of their own and so quantify beauty in the number of pixels and such

it is for those people that the 4x ai sharpened upscaled textures exist. there are bigger numbers so its better, even though it just makes the game look like your character is about to have a migraine

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Same thing for all the people posting 60fps 4k versions of animated poo poo online and make everything look wobbly and completely ruin the timing and momentum of poo poo

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SgXWW0XBhQ

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Now this is the way Doom was meant to be played.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone managed to get mods working on the System Shock remake on Steam Deck? I'm adding .pak files to the right folder but the game keeps crashing on startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Has anyone managed to get mods working on the System Shock remake on Steam Deck? I'm adding .pak files to the right folder but the game keeps crashing on startup.

Pak files? The System Shock remake is Unreal Engine 4. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think you can just so casually mod that.