Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

big mean giraffe posted:

They also use the word embiggen to describe one of Aerith and cait siths synergy moves it rules

I've never had a problem with the after battle menu because the top option is the only one you ever need it's pretty easy

It’s a perfectly cromulent word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WaltherFeng posted:

I still havent finished the game but I just skip all nodes that are boring like 3% more damage and do not feel compelled to complete the whole thing.

Yeah I'm doing my best to route around all the minor passives, as long as I have the synergy stuff and the level 3 limit I think I'm good

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did the game always allow you to have three party loadouts that you could change on the fly, or did they just add that in the recent patch?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Nah that was standard. I bounced between a main team and a side team for whoever needed to learn an ability when doing overworld stuff.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did the game always allow you to have three party loadouts that you could change on the fly, or did they just add that in the recent patch?

That's always been there, you could make the presets on the party menu.
I always thought it was a little useless, since you can't really change it during combat. So may as well change it manually.

The real preset loadouts the game should have had was gear/materia.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

yea, since I'm just changing one party member to learn their weapon skill, I just maually do it anyway. its like one extra button or whatever

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

GateOfD posted:

yea, since I'm just changing one party member to learn their weapon skill, I just maually do it anyway. its like one extra button or whatever

You can change party layout while on the field by hitting X to bring up the spell/item menu and hit R1/L1. You’re saying that’s not new and I just never noticed until now???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can change party layout while on the field by hitting X to bring up the spell/item menu and hit R1/L1. You’re saying that’s not new and I just never noticed until now???

it was always there yeah

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
There was a tutorial thing about it early in the game. Definitely there since launch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

necrotic posted:

There was a tutorial thing about it early in the game. Definitely there since launch.

drat, I’m usually good about reading the tutorials.

Edit: I stepped away from the game for a week or two and came back with a fresh perspective and am noticing stuff I didn’t before lol

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 13, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

is there a roundabout entrance to the 4th protorelic location in Gongaga and I'm just just not seeing it or do I have to wait for later

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

GateOfD posted:

is there a roundabout entrance to the 4th protorelic location in Gongaga and I'm just just not seeing it or do I have to wait for later

You can get all four after you’ve beaten the reactor and gotten the green Chocobo, it’s a pain though. Navigating the mushrooms was annoying!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

GateOfD posted:

You mean the one that's directly south of the airfield, and it very much looks like there's you should be able to open the door there?

Yeah, it's tricky to get to, you have to approach it from the south.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The main use for quick swapping members is if you burn through MP to use different guys instead of wasting ethers and all that

Also I’m doing stuff in Hard mode and realizing how much I was relying on item master in normal mode drat. That materia is completely busted

GateOfD posted:

You go from the south not the north, if you got the last Fiend 6 intel start from there, then find a chocobo stop to the north east of it

Or just YouTube it it’s pretty hard to find your way around Gongaga

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

yea, some of the pathways to some of the towers was infuriating, especially that #5 one

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

big mean giraffe posted:

They also use the word embiggen to describe one of Aerith and cait siths synergy moves it rules

I've never had a problem with the after battle menu because the top option is the only one you ever need it's pretty easy

That embiggens my heart.

I lost a half hour of exploration once because I picked "return to check point." I was able to load a more recent save though.

I also wish the descriptions of some of the materia were better. There were a few I didn't even try because the description was too vague and I didn't want to spend the time experimenting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Or just YouTube it it’s pretty hard to find your way around Gongaga

I think it could honestly do with more yellow paint of navigation/smash me tbh. Can be certain the game wasn't focus tested because it would never have released in the state it is now if it was.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You use ethers in this game?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If you're not using ethers (or mp replenishing abilities on hard mode) you're not using the firepower available to you, simple as that
The party can poo poo out insane damage with Aerith

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hard Mode gang doesn't need ethers. :colbert:

I have not tried Rebirth's Hard Mode yet.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The finale to the queens blood quests was the biggest wet fart I’ve ever seen.

No reward, no real fanfare…poo poo, not even a trophy! And the final match isn’t even a good example of the game because they just cheat like a motherfucker and you have to find a way to cheese past it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The hard mode item thing is kind of weird because it's the perfect time to make full use of the consumable choices. I barely used items besides phoenix downs and the potion/ether mixes in my first run. But in hard mode there are so many more times where you get hit with a weird status or something and it's make or break.

I would prefer if your consumables were just blanked out in hard mode, consumable crafting was off, and they handed them out extremely sparingly. Maybe disable the economizer. I like interacting with the item system in most FFs, it usually feels like a slightly subpar action choice but it's a huge bag of tricks to pull from when you're in an unexpected situation.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

VanillaGorilla posted:

The finale to the queens blood quests was the biggest wet fart I’ve ever seen.

No reward, no real fanfare…poo poo, not even a trophy! And the final match isn’t even a good example of the game because they just cheat like a motherfucker and you have to find a way to cheese past it.

You cheese it by using the Emerald Witch and other cards that buff allies and opponents and you win the Shadowblood Queen card.

I finally was able to beat the game. The first part of the final boss gauntlet JENOVA Life was annoying but the rest was fairly straightforward. Ending wasn’t as weird as I thought, judging by the reactions. I’m interested to see where they go from here.

Being able to see the gameplay stats and relationship levels postgame was a neat touch. Somehow I was missing more than ten QB cards? I was sure I had them all after beating all opponents and clearing all the challenges. Wtf

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Got to Cosmo, I like the air drafts much more than mushrooms.

How come when I get Yuffie to change her element to a weakness and use the jutsu move for it, it doesn't seem to make much difference to me, like it won't pressure the enemy and it might only just slightly increase the stagger bar only a bit more than usual, but not much.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

GateOfD posted:

How come when I get Yuffie to change her element to a weakness and use the jutsu move for it, it doesn't seem to make much difference to me, like it won't pressure the enemy and it might only just slightly increase the stagger bar only a bit more than usual, but not much.

I asked about this and pressuring seems to require high damage moves so it doesnt work with weak regular attacks

But you can change elements and use Yuffie's Foxfire synergy skill because it deals high single hit damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You cheese it by using the Emerald Witch and other cards that buff allies and opponents and you win the Shadowblood Queen card.

I finally was able to beat the game. The first part of the final boss gauntlet JENOVA Life was annoying but the rest was fairly straightforward. Ending wasn’t as weird as I thought, judging by the reactions. I’m interested to see where they go from here.

Being able to see the gameplay stats and relationship levels postgame was a neat touch. Somehow I was missing more than ten QB cards? I was sure I had them all after beating all opponents and clearing all the challenges. Wtf

You probably didn't return to the card shop in the Grasslands.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

You probably didn't return to the card shop in the Grasslands.

I did return to him in chapter 13 and bought all the new cards. So it wasn’t that.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did return to him in chapter 13 and bought all the new cards. So it wasn’t that.

Do a run of the vendors in each region, the GS rewards vendor and CDS vendor? Maybe there are some hardmode only cards?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MH Knights posted:

Do a run of the vendors in each region, the GS rewards vendor and CDS vendor? Maybe there are some hardmode only cards?

It’s not a big deal or anything, I was just surprised.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Playing this again after a bit of a hiatus (playing other games :v: ), still in Junon. Right now I am trying to beat Phoenix. I do have them one level down but I usually wipe to Rebirth Flame when they cast that. Is there a way to mitigate or even dodge that, short of DPSing it to death before it can even do that for the first time, or should I just bite the bullet and look for the other shrines to bring them down further?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Full Strength Summons at this point in the game is a Terminal Git Gud Gamer Brain trap. Do what you have to. Turn those mfers down.

For Phoenix in particular, the Assess screen isn't lying as much as it is just forgetting to mention that Phoenix will always unavoidably cast Rebirth Flame after hitting a certain HP threshold. It's possible to stagger it to death if you know what you're doing but this point in the game the best advice is to just tank it with HP since I don't think you can have either Elemental or Manaward.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fedule posted:

Full Strength Summons at this point in the game is a Terminal Git Gud Gamer Brain trap. Do what you have to. Turn those mfers down.

For Phoenix in particular, the Assess screen isn't lying as much as it is just forgetting to mention that Phoenix will always unavoidably cast Rebirth Flame after hitting a certain HP threshold. It's possible to stagger it to death if you know what you're doing but this point in the game the best advice is to just tank it with HP since I don't think you can have either Elemental or Manaward.

I already had Phoenix weakened by one level, since I beat TItan with than, but yeah at this point I will just find the other shrines and turn them down further.

I was wondering if they were casting Empowering Flame while I wasn't looking but then I checked a guide and no they just pop Rebirth Flame after a point.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
This game is my favourite of the PS5 so far, maybe my second favourite FF outside of 10, and probably in my top 10 games I've ever played, but it's so overwhelmingly large. I've owned it sinch launch, and only just got to the point of no return after 70 hours of gameplay, but I can't imagine maratahoning it all in a week or two, all the activities would make it overwhelming and a slog to get through without breaking it down into much smaller parts.

Youtube thumbnails have already twice spoilt some end game stuff for me when I was browsing compeltely unrelated videos, so I'm really eager just to finish the story and not ruin what happens for myself because a month and half after launch means it's going to start leaking into comments and videos and general discourse, but I also want to finish all the side-activities and relic quests, and summons, and some new stuff that unlocked at the start of this chapter, and it's going to be like a week or two staggered to finish it all off.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I definitely hope they tone down the open world stuff in part 3. The areas left are what, Icicle, Wutai, Rocket Town. We’d have to go to Junon and Corel again, plus there’s no way they won’t include the Gold Saucer. There was a place for the snowboarding mini-game like in the original.

I was looking back at the order of things in the original game and remembered that one of the Huge Materia was in Fort Condor. I wonder how they’ll handle that?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

GateOfD posted:

Yuffie's magic attacks aren't strong until the final hit in the combo and she already has one of the lowest attack values of all the characters, so you really have to unload on them. The cumulative effect will eventually cause pressure, then cast stop on pressured enemies so you can stagger them.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

chapter 10 was good.
Red XIII is a good dog.
I feel like I always forget about buffs, I use haste sometimes, but always forgot about bravery or the protect spells in boss fights

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just got to Corel and I'm hoping one of you amazing lore nerds can help me out because my memory of the original is a bit hazy.

To what degree are the black robe guys a modern addition?

If I have any complaint with the plot thus far, it would be that the party's motivations for taking the route they're taking seems kinda flimsy. Like if I hadn't played the original, I'd be wondering how all this was meant to string together. And memories being what they are, I'm kinda wondering if the justification was even thinner back then, times being what they were for JRPG stuff. Like, the robe guys are clearly the reason the party goes the direction it goes, but beyond that, I dunno, it all seems a bit haphazard.

I'm loving the game though. Just awesome moment after awesome moment, and even though I do think most of the mini games are rear end, everything else has been fun, filler or no. Insanely good writing and characterization. Like, this is probably the first modern game I've played with all the bells and whistles that evokes the same feelings the sixteen and thirty two bit eras did for me. Hard to believe it, but it's like the tech and scope finally aligned just right to completely modernize what those old games were going for.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Just got to Corel and I'm hoping one of you amazing lore nerds can help me out because my memory of the original is a bit hazy.

If I have any complaint with the plot thus far, it would be that the party's motivations for taking the route they're taking seems kinda flimsy. Like if I hadn't played the original, I'd be wondering how all this was meant to string together. And memories being what they are, I'm kinda wondering if the justification was even thinner back then, times being what they were for JRPG stuff. Like, the robe guys are clearly the reason the party goes the direction it goes, but beyond that, I dunno, it all seems a bit haphazard.

I'm loving the game though. Just awesome moment after awesome moment, and even though I do think most of the mini games are rear end, everything else has been fun, filler or no. Insanely good writing and characterization. Like, this is probably the first modern game I've played with all the bells and whistles that evokes the same feelings the sixteen and thirty two bit eras did for me. Hard to believe it, but it's like the tech and scope finally aligned just right to completely modernize what those old games were going for.

the black robes were present in 7 but they were just a background detail until you reached nibelheim (and then became a background detail again). using them as guideposts for tracking sephiroth is original to rebirth, and yes, this is way more reasoning than we got in the original game. most of 7's point-to-point traversal after midgar relied on "take our word for it" - cloud and co journeyed in a way that just happened to hit every major landmark in the world, while rufus and his small entourage ineffectually trailed behind them to track down hojo, who'd gone AWOL in his curiosity to see sephiroth firsthand

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

unattended spaghetti posted:

We do see some black robes in the OG, notably at and in Nibelheim, some fall off the cliffs, there's also some translation confusion at the entrance to the Corel mountains when the party asks the tired old man if he's seen someone in a black cloak, which is meant to be them asking for Sephiroth. There are some more black robes later in the game past the point Rebirth ends, but the quantity Rebirth throws around isn't present in the OG. I never thought about it too hard, but I sorta figured that Cloud was basically leading them around based on what's going on with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the black robes were present in 7 but they were just a background detail until you reached nibelheim (and then became a background detail again). using them as guideposts for tracking sephiroth is original to rebirth, and yes, this is way more reasoning than we got in the original game. most of 7's point-to-point traversal after midgar relied on "take our word for it" - cloud and co journeyed in a way that just happened to hit every major landmark in the world, while rufus and his small entourage ineffectually trailed behind them to track down hojo, who'd gone AWOL in his curiosity to see sephiroth firsthand

Man that's wild. This game is doing some weird poo poo with my memory. Like I keep thinking I've forgotten more of the original than I apparently had and yet somehow I keep having these little jolts of recognition prompted by the weird sensory recall this game pulls off time and time again, and every time this happens I'm like ok, I'm obviously forgetting something else I was eleven for fucks sakes, but no, it really was that strung together lol. Just riffing. I hate nostalgia bait but this poo poo really has been magic for me.

Thanks for confirming. Glad brain isn't total Swiss yet.