Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PhilippAchtel posted:

Imagine being a loving monarchist in TYOOL 2024. And for King Charles of all people.

I was just thinking of starting an unironic royalist thread the other day. I'm sure we could get one brand of breakfast cereal to post there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Juul-Whip posted:

comforting to know that if Canada had a sovereign wealth fund like the geniuses in Norway we’d just waste it on idiotic boondoggles like “AGI”. probably better that we don’t

QPP invested in nft companies lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
tbh any institutional investor always is going to have some money to throw at risky stuff because they have a fiduciary duty to maximize returns and spread out their risk.

that so many big growth areas in the market happen to be gigantic scams driven by pure speculation means they can't ignore them. capitalism baby.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you don’t have a tête-à-tête with the muskman like that if you’re just looking to do some risky bets on the side. you do it because you’re a part of his personality cult

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Arc Hammer posted:

If you pick the Animal Friend perk from a high Cha and Survival stat then you can be adopted by deer like that guy out in BC.
Realistically you gotta spec based on how easy it is to find respective bobbleheads

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
i'm in toronto and it loving sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CLAM DOWN posted:

skill issue

wherever you are, it's the wrong part of toronto

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Virtual Russian posted:

Summerside is honestly a lot more vibrant than even just ten years back, but still looks and feels like a shittier poorer Moncton. I think another car dealership is going in, but don't forget about the like seven competing furniture retailers! That Dooly's still has a bad rep. Summerside area was very cheap, so now it is filled with folks from out west that just work remote. The population nearly doubled since the pandemic. Retailers for stuff that can't really be found on amazon are doing extremely well. The furniture people all drive Audis and BMWs now, but besides that there hasn't really been an increase in opportunity. There aren't better jobs, just more bad ones. The influx of people working remote does nothing to build community wealth, it just increased retail sales, but the cost of housing has gone up about 400% since the pandemic. You used to be able to buy a house here for 70 - 150k, now they all range from 300k - 750k. MY rent is still reasonable by western standards, I pay $1200 a months for ~1100 square feet. Before the pandemic I'd have expected somewhere between $550 and $650 for the same place. I also had a connection there, so I'm paying slightly below market rates. Plus the guy gave me a free month because I'm a maritimer. His Ontario born son-in-law arranged everything and his eyes did a Tex Avery when I gave him the first cheque. He literally came back to me after like 20 minutes and said "the rent is too high" and gave me a free month. He's a solid dude, fixed my car for free too. A dying breed of maritimer.

The locals are beyond furious with westerners that move here. Being poor here used to be ok, bleak for sure, but if you had any full-time job you'd be guaranteed to be able to buy a house. Most people survived on only 6 - 8 months of full-time, the rest of the year on pogey. That way of life disappeared overnight, but if you are an illiterate 55 year old farm hand you are just screwed. I don't know what those people do to survive. I've had customers of mine from Ontario complain about being harassed constantly when people see their plates. Little do they know they've got it easy. Back in the 80s and 90s the locals would burn your summer home down in the winter while you were away if you pissed them off. I know a museum director who locals mailbombed (almost killed his son who got the mail) all because he was from away and got the job over an islander. There has been an uptick in arsons on the north shore where the cost of living climbed the most. So maybe old habits die hard?

Growing up in the maritimes I always understood that our drugs came from Montreal, maybe with Hali on the up things started coming in there. I always heard bikers got stuff in Montreal and then distributed from there. No matter what no one is trafficking through PEI, there are only three ways onto the island, I can't imagine that is good for smuggling. What is found in PEI must be meant for distribution, but I could be wrong. I don't know more than what I observe, I haven't touched anything worse than weed since my early 20s.

this was really interesting. thanks for sharing.

e: wish it didn’t suck

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

infernal machines posted:

skill issue

wherever you are, it's the wrong part of toronto

okay i'm in mississauga now and it's literally hell

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
ah the ol' miss

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

better stop now, you'll hit oakville soon and you'll be missing the few things mississauga actually has going for it still

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah, don't go there.

i mean, there's some good indian food, but that's about it. indian food and endless kilometres of sprawl.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
all drivers here are loving insane holy poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

yeah, don't go there.

i mean, there's some good indian food, but that's about it. indian food and endless kilometres of sprawl.

Yeah that's what Oakville is missing, the food. Not just Indian; i had Syrian shawarma earlier this week and it kicked rear end. Obviously nothing you can't get here that isn't in Toronto too but compared to Oakville it's a culinary paradise. I can only think of a couple of legitimately good places to eat in Oakville, it's sad as hell.

CLAM DOWN posted:

are they all yelling at you while you swerve around posting? that's not cool, can't they see you're busy?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

hadji murad posted:

this was really interesting. thanks for sharing.

e: wish it didn’t suck

You're welcome, also it may suck, but way less than Victoria. Not having to work like 60 hours a week to keep my head above water is really really nice.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

im not but i know it sucks i feel for you

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CLAM DOWN posted:

okay i'm in mississauga

you idiot, you utter fool, you absolute buffoon

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
this country is loving evil lol

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/vancouver/article-foreign-landlord-fails-to-pay-taxes-cra-goes-after-tenant/

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Sounds like another W for a landlord, country working as designed

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

So, that means the tenant owns the property now, right? Right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao broken assed country istg

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I was reading a discussion on the topic and apparently there is a little known rule that tenants are supposed to withhold 25% of rent to pay the CRA if the owner is a foreign national, which is problematic to say the least. I can’t imagine the trouble you could get into as a tenant if you actually tried that, not to mention how are you even supposed to know.

Anyway, this is second hand and I haven’t verified it so I am probably misunderstanding it somehow. Regardless of how you slice it though, it’s pretty hosed up.

edit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...convention.html

digitalist has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Apr 14, 2024

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

CLAM DOWN posted:

The community centres are nice, that's about it

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
They say they can't get to the guy.. so just loving seize the property? Isn't it pretty standard to go after assets if someone can't (or won't) cough up the cash?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Math You posted:

They say they can't get to the guy.. so just loving seize the property? Isn't it pretty standard to go after assets if someone can't (or won't) cough up the cash?

bingo. that’s what i don’t get. i hope the tenant sues and takes the property for themselves at this point tho

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

i saw this on the walk home and for some reason thought of this thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Trucker Hat posted:

The community centres are nice, that's about it

The parks and trails are ok as well, for a suburb

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

CLAM DOWN posted:

drive faster, get good

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

i've lived in mississauga for like 8 years and will be leaving forever in less than a week

i can't bring myself to feel happy about it because some part of me is expecting me to wake up back in mississauga like it's groundhog day.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

cock hero flux posted:

i've lived in mississauga for like 8 years and will be leaving forever in less than a week

i can't bring myself to feel happy about it because some part of me is expecting me to wake up back in mississauga like it's groundhog day.

"Welp, I guess I'm back to Square One!"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

If you pay the tax on a property, how is that not legal recognition that you own it?

I mean, very easy way to deal with the dreaded foreign ownership of :canada: housing there, placed in the lap of the federal government.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if your landlord is habitually out of the country, and they don’t have a lackey manager to make sure you’re paying the rent, why pay it at all?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

"Welp, I guess I'm back to Square One!"

ban

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If you pay the tax on a property, how is that not legal recognition that you own it?

I mean, very easy way to deal with the dreaded foreign ownership of :canada: housing there, placed in the lap of the federal government.

it's doing my head in. i understand this country is run by and for landlords yet despite that knowledge the level of depravity in forcing a tenant to pay taxes on behalf of a tax dodging landlord here is hard to believe

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/assisted-death-quadriplegic-quebec-man-er-bed-sore-1.7171209

Hey, they finally did it - killed someone with MAID because they were an inconvenience to society.

This is seriously hosed up poo poo, quadriplegic man admitted to ER for third respiratory virus in three months*, gets left on a stretcher for 4 days and isn't given a special mattress to avoid developing bed sores or rotated every 2 hours because ??? and winds up choosing MAID.

* hey I wonder how that happens.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
jesus christ

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

mila kunis posted:

it's doing my head in. i understand this country is run by and for landlords yet despite that knowledge the level of depravity in forcing a tenant to pay taxes on behalf of a tax dodging landlord here is hard to believe

Lol

quote:

It’s well known that non-resident owners have long had to pay withholding taxes on properties they either sell or rent out. However, few renters and few in the real estate business are aware that if those taxes don’t get paid, the tenant could be on the hook, said long-time realtor Lorne Goldman. Mr. Goldman sells properties to non-residents, and said realtors – and all renters and all small mom-and-pop landlords – should be formally educated on the risks to tenants.

Not all landlords know that tenants could be forced to pay their taxes for them. They need better education about the risks to tenants so they can, uhhhh,

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

digitalist posted:

I was reading a discussion on the topic and apparently there is a little known rule that tenants are supposed to withhold 25% of rent to pay the CRA if the owner is a foreign national, which is problematic to say the least. I can’t imagine the trouble you could get into as a tenant if you actually tried that, not to mention how are you even supposed to know.

Anyway, this is second hand and I haven’t verified it so I am probably misunderstanding it somehow. Regardless of how you slice it though, it’s pretty hosed up.

edit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...convention.html

it gets more bonkers the more you think about it; x-posting:

Cold on a Cob posted:

I found the judgment details here if anyone wants to dig in.

edit: IANAL obviously but reading point [41] in the decision seems to indicate that anyone renting from a foreign owner ought to be withholding and remitting to the CRA, without fail. The onus is on the owner file their taxes to get the owing amount adjusted and refunded if too much was withheld. There is no mention of a clearance certificate as can be obtained in the case of a property sale by a foreign owner.

Also as per point [44] ignorance of the landlord's tax status is explicitly irrelevant so I guess every tenant in Canada should always just withhold the tax and remit to the CRA and let their landlord sort it out with the CRA, just to be safe.

And I mean literally every tenant. You never know when your landlord is going to lose their resident tax status. Hell, my new landlords are Polish immigrants, sure they have a business and a home and several condos here but YOU NEVER KNOW so... hmm...

This poo poo is absolutely bonkers.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I still don't understand how that doesn't transfer ownership to the tenant?

Under common law, I don't see how it can't, you know, if receiving mail at an address is enough to award you certain rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

everybody bitchin about living in Ontario itt - come move to Edmonton you cowards

it’s both somehow p good and p poo poo