Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's kind of funny that role-playing game mostly means "video game with stats"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

MJBuddy posted:

ARPGs don't have to be looters. It's a subgenre. Borderlands isn't an ARPG (or an AFPS or whatever nonsense).

In Blizzard's surveys for Diablo, they consider Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma ARPGs, and they're right!

most people in the context we're talking are using arpg as diablo-like and not the very useless broader definition. if u want ill just say diablo-like from now on. i dont care what blizzard corporate defines genres as for customer surveys, at all.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bisse posted:

Well that would be dumb, but it IS possible that ARPGs could rework their loot to be a lot less clutter and cumbersome to deal with while simultaneously being more fun to engage with and scoring dopamine hits more successfully.

i genuinely hope they figure it out

MJBuddy posted:

In Blizzard's surveys for Diablo, they consider Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma ARPGs, and they're right!

lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Super Metroid is also an arpg

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
picturing rod fergusson playing through dragons dogma and skyrim to figure out what kind of game he's meant to be making and suddenly a lot more makes sense

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
Forza Horizon 5, the newest ARPG from Microsoft

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They should. Make the loot more like other successful. Arpgs, such as world of Warcraft

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Bisse posted:

Aha ok it is Turn Based and therefore it contains no loot, no wait ok but it does not have any similarities at all and the loot does not fill the same purpose at all, oh ok BG3 loot also ’feel good’ to get but we are talking about a completely different type of reward system, oh ok that was also dopamine but it is literally impossible to learn ANYTHING AT ALL from

Or to put it another way whenever loot filter comes up I feel like it is a hammer looking for a nail to hammer in, problem is there are much better solutions to the problem. For example, D4 has this problem and people have been screaming ”loot filter, idiot blizztards” for since game release. Blizz did a MUCH BETTER THING in the PTR which is (hopefully) solve the basic loot problem. If they had added a loot filter instead, that may never have happened.

The reason it matters is because loot filters have massive drawbacks. Just for starters, they are newbie hostile, immersion breaking, and encourage bad game design patterns like the PoE computer crashing video. So it is much better if they simply are not needed. ”But this genre isn’t for the people who” actually it is lol, killing 10mil demons an hour is fun even to the 99% of players who don’t want to crawl community pages for optimal loot filters for the game to even be playable.

And BG3 is a fantastic loving example because it gets this a lot more right than most ARPGs.

bro wtf are you yapping about. i like bg3 but i dont want bg3 loot in an arpg, thats extremely stupid. you sound like you have no idea on even a surface level why completely different games make different design choices at all. bg3 loot is about providing a large toolkit of active abilities and specific triggers, and it works because the gameplay is turn and party based. because you can prep for each encounter and can deliberate choices during combat it means your hotbar can look like this

and it isnt a downside. and because you take four characters into fights, with other characters you can swap in for specific encounters or when another character leaves or dies, it means a much broader range of loot is immediately relevant. also the reason bg3 loot is "right" vs even other games from larian is because all of the interesting loot is hand made and hand placed! which is a luxury you have in a linear narrative focused game where rewards can be put in specific places.

its like comparing chalk and cheese. you also dont seem to understand why people want a loot filter, because you think its objectively a drawback. a loot filter is preferable to loot being more "relevant" because its more interesting for me as the player to decide what is relevant or not for my build, and a game will never be able to make that choice for me better than i can for myself. this means there can be a wide variety of loot with lots of edge cases or niches for people to exploit. arpg loot that is designed to be "relevant" generally means that build diversity is lessened and it takes away agency from the player. its much less interesting to me personally to have stuff dropping that i know will be usuable because theres 5 stats in the game and it will only let me drop the 1 stat that does something for the character im playing.

a loot filter isnt newbie hostile unless you assume every single person playing a given game has the intellect of a 5 year old. i have no idea how its immersion breaking over any other choice made int eh genre, at all, feels like you just said that to have a third thing to put. and it isnt bad game design its game design you personally do not enjoy, and while its fine to not enjoy things and say why it doesnt work for you it makes you look completely deranged when you get to the point where yuo are now saying the game thats generally regarded as the best in the entire genre is actually completely wrong without taking a second to consider if the things youre saying are wrong are what other people are looking for.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
like u dont even understand that the video of poe crashing is sick lol. when i had to rebind the show all loot button last league because pressing it was crashing my maps, i wasnt upset about it, i was happy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

ARPGs don't have to be looters. It's a subgenre. Borderlands isn't an ARPG (or an AFPS or whatever nonsense).

If I can climb all over big enemies and pick up then throw NPCs and party members I'll take back everything negative I've ever said about this game.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

yes?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Stux posted:

bro wtf are you yapping about. i like bg3 but i dont want bg3 loot in an arpg, thats extremely stupid. you sound like you have no idea on even a surface level why completely different games make different design choices at all. bg3 loot is about providing a large toolkit of active abilities and specific triggers, and it works because the gameplay is turn and party based. because you can prep for each encounter and can deliberate choices during combat it means your hotbar can look like this

and it isnt a downside. and because you take four characters into fights, with other characters you can swap in for specific encounters or when another character leaves or dies, it means a much broader range of loot is immediately relevant. also the reason bg3 loot is "right" vs even other games from larian is because all of the interesting loot is hand made and hand placed! which is a luxury you have in a linear narrative focused game where rewards can be put in specific places.

its like comparing chalk and cheese. you also dont seem to understand why people want a loot filter, because you think its objectively a drawback. a loot filter is preferable to loot being more "relevant" because its more interesting for me as the player to decide what is relevant or not for my build, and a game will never be able to make that choice for me better than i can for myself. this means there can be a wide variety of loot with lots of edge cases or niches for people to exploit. arpg loot that is designed to be "relevant" generally means that build diversity is lessened and it takes away agency from the player. its much less interesting to me personally to have stuff dropping that i know will be usuable because theres 5 stats in the game and it will only let me drop the 1 stat that does something for the character im playing.

a loot filter isnt newbie hostile unless you assume every single person playing a given game has the intellect of a 5 year old. i have no idea how its immersion breaking over any other choice made int eh genre, at all, feels like you just said that to have a third thing to put. and it isnt bad game design its game design you personally do not enjoy, and while its fine to not enjoy things and say why it doesnt work for you it makes you look completely deranged when you get to the point where yuo are now saying the game thats generally regarded as the best in the entire genre is actually completely wrong without taking a second to consider if the things youre saying are wrong are what other people are looking for.

Good post. And that's from the perspective of a person that thinks the need of a loot filter is silly. But I appreciate your articulation of the other side of it. I personally like finding the synergy itself, not so much the optimization bit. I think the difference of degree has a lot to do with whether you like or love ARPGs. Obviously I'm in the like category. Guess I find them cool as hell up front and dull as dish water pretty quickly.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

stux I think you have a very fixed idea of what an ARPG has to be and an even more fixed idea of what it needs to be to be good etc. Saying anyone who doesnt immediately understand your favourite solution to the problem has the intellect of a five year old is kind of unimpressive. You seem unreasonably worked up that some people on the internet see things differently than you and enjoy the same game but in different ways than you.

Lets disagree on agreeing and move on and discuss the WASD movement in PoE2 or something instead, that sure looks cool.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 13, 2024

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
can I just say I've worked on two Diablo style arpgs and stux is 100% right and we all just move the gently caress on

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

bg3 is an amazing game but its philosophy of loot is incomparable to diablo's. you'd have more grounds for comparison between it and demon's souls.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Loot should be cool for the things I'm doing "wow +5 to SMASH AREA on my barbarian smash build!" and encourage you with a sneaky elbow to the ribs to try other stuff. "+10 to fire wizard explosions?!"

For all the ragging people do on it I love the way Nioh does this as I'm starting the game as Fight Spear Man and then it introduces me to the idea that not only can I super buff ninjutsu but I can do so as my primary way of combat and synergize it with whatever Asian fight sticks I'm using, stuff like that.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 13, 2024

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Figuring out my own loot filter in Last Epoch was fun and also pretty easy. I think the part that makes POE filter daunting is because the game is daunting. It's got more complicated weirder systems. D4 has even simpler systems as far as I understand.

Stux posted:

its more interesting for me as the player to decide what is relevant or not for my build

That's what I think is most fun about a loot filter. It makes you think about the game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Bisse posted:

stux I think you have a very fixed idea of what an ARPG has to be and an even more fixed idea of what it needs to be to be good etc. Saying anyone who doesnt immediately understand your favourite solution to the problem has the intellect of a five year old is kind of unimpressive. You seem unreasonably worked up that some people on the internet see things differently than you and enjoy the same game but in different ways than you.

Lets disagree on agreeing and move on and discuss the WASD movement in PoE2 or something instead, that sure looks cool.

your post was very obviously upset but ok. we'll just take this as a W for me bcos you are unable to articulate yourself :D

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

doomfunk posted:

stux is 100% right

*gasps from the audience*

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
also i didnt say ppl had the intellect of a 5 year old, i said if you think this

is too daunting then you must believe the average player is stupid

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

victrix posted:

This is the first time I have 100% agreed with him.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I'll say I'm unlikely to personally use a loot filter but it's an important accessibility tool for a significant cohort of players. the issue is a loot filter needs to be prioritized against other UI/UX needs and that's always a matter of horse trading. Whether and if a loot filter makes it in is always going to be judged against other features.

but I agree they're important, fairly normal in the subgenre, and not hard to use.

e: in case anyone asks I'm unlikely to use one because I'm a hoarder who saves everything then eventually panics and blows up their whole stash and repeats the cycle ad infinitum. this is a me problem that could be helped by using the loot filter but I simply will not because I am an idiot.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Doomykins posted:

Loot should be cool for the things I'm doing "wow +5 to SMASH AREA on my barbarian smash build!" and encourage you with a sneaky elbow to the ribs to try other stuff. "+10 to fire wizard explosions?!"

For all the ragging people do on it I love the way Nioh does this as I'm starting the game as Fight Spear Man and then it introduces me to the idea that not only can I super buff ninjutsu but I can do so as my primary way of combat and synergize it with whatever Asian fight sticks I'm using, stuff like that.

The set bonuses in that game are really good (A shame they didn't do that for Rise of the Ronin - it's one of my issues with that fantastic game) but the 1.7% increments drive me up a wall. Even if it didn't have less loot, having better % increments would be a step in the right direction.

For all my issues with the loot stuff in this genre, I found myself not really minding the loot in those games, aside from the low % increments. The nature of being an action game really lends itself well to the whole thing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just realized this thread is the roguelike thread

arpg genre and loot filter discourse is the roguelike definition purgatory

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

victrix posted:

its more likely than u think

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

doomfunk posted:

I'll say I'm unlikely to personally use a loot filter but it's an important accessibility tool for a significant cohort of players. the issue is a loot filter needs to be prioritized against other UI/UX needs and that's always a matter of horse trading. Whether and if a loot filter makes it in is always going to be judged against other features.

but I agree they're important, fairly normal in the subgenre, and not hard to use.

e: in case anyone asks I'm unlikely to use one because I'm a hoarder who saves everything then eventually panics and blows up their whole stash and repeats the cycle ad infinitum. this is a me problem that could be helped by using the loot filter but I simply will not because I am an idiot.

Weak excuse because the game made like a billion dollars just make it good Bros, it doesnt have to be choose between zooming out and a loot filter or w.e

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
D4 devs with concerns about where they can allocate their manpower.

Hmm.

Ah, of course. All hands on deck for the Gauntlet, a feature enjoyed by at least 3 digits of players, nearly 4!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I don't work there anymore. I'm not defending anything. that was a statement of fact about how literally every studio anywhere treats a rare and highly specialized field of design. please jog on.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We were really gonna add some badass stuff but the people demanded loot filters, a feature that has never been accomplished before in the genre

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why put a bandaid over healthy skin?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It never seemed to me like the D4 team was particularly large or that most of the development talent stuck around after launch but I don’t have any way of knowing for sure.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

victrix posted:

I just realized this thread is the roguelike thread

arpg genre and loot filter discourse is the roguelike definition purgatory

Roguelike fans have even been having the Great Loot Filter Debate for 20+ years, though they call(ed) it squelching.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

victrix posted:

lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

MJBuddy posted:

Holy poo poo.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Kaysette posted:

Holy poo poo.

It's been 400 posts since the PTS launched arguing semantics poorly and I wanted in since there's nothing else happening here

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Season 4 cant come soon enough.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

doomfunk posted:

I'll say I'm unlikely to personally use a loot filter but it's an important accessibility tool for a significant cohort of players.

This is a good point as well, games that use colour differences to determine which loot is worth picking up and which isn't are poo poo for me because I often can't tell the colours apart. I'd pick up a primal in D3 and not realise I had until I got back to town.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
d4 shouldve made the legendaries purple or something instead of trying to keep the d3 color. having yellow rares, orange legendary and beige uniques is so awfu l lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
or perhaps they were trying to teach us your struggle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stux posted:

d4 shouldve made the legendaries purple or something instead of trying to keep the d3 color. having yellow rares, orange legendary and beige uniques is so awfu l lol

Uniques are sharpie gold.