Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Srice posted:

I'm sure it's good, it's more that I don't watch much tv these days and with those kinds of podcasts I know I'll get way more out of them if I'm familiar with the specifics of what they're talking about. Maybe some day if I ever sit down to watch it!

I've never watched an episode of the clone wars show and have enjoyed the podcast a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Mode 7 posted:

I liked the little environmental storytelling touches. I think my favourite being seeing the photo of Arabella on the meadow research trip, then finding the letter about the trip documenting the Professor of the group misidentifying a flower, Arabella pointing out that it may actually be a new species and his response being “haha I was just testing you”, and then later the newspaper where he takes credit for the discovery of a new species.

I loved that in the epilogue it turns out that even though her book still ended up getting rejected she just went fuckit, and built her own classroom anyway and has students (who all had feminine names) and had correspondence from other people supporting her, and the students were all learning from her book anyway.

The misogynist gate-keeping of science that was a theme running through all the environmental story could so easily have resolved into "and then she proved them all wrong and successfully became a part of the system and actually its ok that the system was not changed by this" and I really loved that they avoided that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

homeless snail posted:

and austin specifically continued to use it as an example for awhile

Man, I didn't know they kept harping on it afterwards. Long past being surprised but it never stops being lame how seriously these people take themselves while not being much if at all different from random dipshit online personalities beyond getting company paychecks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Macaluso posted:

Why would someone just say this?

Because as usual a news article will try to just pluck the most inflammatory words possible to maximize pageviews.

https://twitter.com/Qwik/status/1778269707575119977

He's more or less saying he wishes he can dump more money on singleplayer games that he really resonates with because there are no other ways to give them money (aside from like, buying copies for your friends) unlike a multiplayer game with constant DLC releases etc. Being American of course his first thought is "what if I could tip" while also being fully aware that people won't agree with his take. I broadly agree in that if there was a way I could put more money in the pockets of Larian devs directly I'd do it considering they made an incredibly huge game and everyone wanted to quit (allegedly) after it was done.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I only listen to watch/read-along podcasts about things I have never watched/read and have no pressing desire to do so.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's still a pretty goofy thing for a former game exec to say, especially when all his examples are all massively successful titles that all have plenty of ways to give the devs (read: publisher) more than $70 whether it be DLC, limited edition, merch etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

I'm sure it's good, it's more that I don't watch much tv these days and with those kinds of podcasts I know I'll get way more out of them if I'm familiar with the specifics of what they're talking about. Maybe some day if I ever sit down to watch it!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've never watched an episode of the clone wars show and have enjoyed the podcast a lot
yeah that's the thing, they both give a rundown of what the episode was about and then talk about the theming and characters and stuff, include audio clips occasionally when relevant, mention things to look up if you absolutely need to see what something looks like visually, etc. I'd never even seen the show beyond screenshots until I watched a clip they talked about during one episode, and it was entirely possible to follow the podcast regardless.

I did not know what Kit Fisto looked like until multiple seasons in when they had a discussion about how weirdly horny the show was for that guy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even if you don't watch Clone Wars or Rebels the episodes about the movies and Andor are also great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah that's the thing, they both give a rundown of what the episode was about and then talk about the theming and characters and stuff, include audio clips occasionally when relevant, mention things to look up if you absolutely need to see what something looks like visually, etc. I'd never even seen the show beyond screenshots until I watched a clip they talked about during one episode, and it was entirely possible to follow the podcast regardless.

I did not know what Kit Fisto looked like until multiple seasons in when they had a discussion about how weirdly horny the show was for that guy

That's good to hear. I'll throw it on my podcast queue then! :cheerdoge:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Huh, didn't know he was doing that. I'm not hungry for podcasts about star wars or tabletop game sessions so I haven't checked those out (I'm sure they're good, just not what I'd want) but covering a book series sounds good to this gamer.

It's probably the second best podcast that's covered New Sun but it can be occasionally incredibly frustrating when the main host misreads sections and then pulls the "Oh we aren't here to analyze things" poo poo whenever people point out they're wrong.

He also seems to have an ax to grind against the idea that Wolfe had the entire series planned out in advance which might be an interesting thing to consider if we didn't know for a fact that it's wrong and that the whole work was drafted at once and then edited and released in order.

They also don't shut the gently caress up about Homestuck for long stretches.

All in all a thousand times better than Alzabo Soup.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/1779235918433391086?t=aZdeb0HDpSJhd4agWXvVPA&s=19

I actually thought Lawbreakers had a very fun concept and died way too quickly, might be neat to have it back online again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Somehow, Lawbreakers returned.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What's the best podcast that covered New Sun

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/1779235918433391086?t=aZdeb0HDpSJhd4agWXvVPA&s=19

I actually thought Lawbreakers had a very fun concept and died way too quickly, might be neat to have it back online again

If only there were some kind of GameSpy where people could independently host servers for whatever abandoned online games that aren't popular or profitable enough for their original owners. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of dead games that are actually really fun if every player just gets all the stuff to mess with without any of the progression gambling.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waiting patiently for the Gundam Evolution private servers to come up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

final fantasy 7 the first soldier emu

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sunsetting should become an industry norm for online games.
Effectively planned obsolescence and releasing a final patch that allows players to host their own offline servers, with bots if possible.

Is something like Foamstars going to set the world on fire? Probably not, but maybe that's some kids favourite game and it'd be cool if they could still play the drat thing.

Unfortunately the reality is it oft times come down to licenses expiring and The Shareholders don't see any ROI on developing an offline patch. So why do it!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Waffleman_ posted:

homeless snail posted:

final fantasy 7 the first soldier emu

Unironically want both of those.

and Babylon's Fall :ninja:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ReReading Wolfe. Two people who've been in it since the Urthlist poring over every inch of the pages. Generally unhinged with an emphasis on highlighting random theories and ideas people in the community have had or held and always open to new perspectives or corrections on their own interpretations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

Unfortunately the reality is it oft times come down to licenses expiring and The Shareholders don't see any ROI on developing an offline patch. So why do it!

Yeah this is what it comes down to. Relying on goodwill for publishers to do the right thing will never end well.

Really we need regulation to force devs to make a viable alternative if they plan on withdrawing a service that people paid for, but that'll never happen. Even just disclosing a planned end date at purchase would be something. Like a guarantee that a game will be functional for at least 5 years.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

http://rangedtouch.com/category/shelved-by-genre/

Shelved by Genre by far was my favourite podcast to listen about discussion and analysis of the series. Not the most absolutely thorough read of the book but they bring a lot of interesting critique that three fairly educated people bring that I haven’t seen in other places.

https://www.alzabosoup.com

Alzabo Soup is a fun chapter by chapter breakdown if you just want to really just want to immerse yourself into the book but the analysis isn’t anything surprising or extremely deep but enjoyable hanging out with Wolfe fanboys.

Re-reading Wolfe is garbage and the hosts just get caught up in stupid fan theories and miss a lot of the broader themes and ideas over tiny insignificant details.

I went hard for these books last year and tried to find anything to consume about these books.

Old Swerdlow fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 13, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I too remember Anthem's 10-year plan.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

exquisite tea posted:

I too remember Anthem's 10-year plan.

I thought that was Destiny.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny was the OG 10-year plan, but Anthem wanted to be Destiny so badly it probably had one as well, even if they never got around to publicly saying it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Old Swerdlow posted:

Shelved by Genre by far was my favourite podcast to listen about discussion and analysis of the series. Not the most absolutely thorough read of the book but they bring a lot of interesting critique that three fairly educated people bring that I haven’t seen in other places.

Alzabo Soup is a fun chapter by chapter breakdown if you just want to really just want to immerse yourself into the book but the analysis isn’t anything surprising or extremely deep but enjoyable hanging out with Wolfe fanboys.

Re-reading Wolfe is garbage and the hosts just get caught up in stupid fan theories and miss a lot of the broader themes and ideas over tiny insignificant details.

I went hard for these books last year and tried to find anything to consume about these books.

Lol my question was in reply to someone who was calling Shelved by Genre the second best one and also dunked on Alzabo Soup

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Looked up Anthem's release date and it was Feb 22nd, 2019. Could've sworn it was 2016 or 2017.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Old Swerdlow posted:

ReReading Wolfe talks about the themes and motifs in the post book synopses. The entire concept of the show is to analyze and discuss the ideas that come out of people who've been in the community for decades.

Alzabo Soup is quite poor. Their conceit is illogical and leads to them deliberately falling down blind alleys and confusing their audience. They claim to want to not bring in the full novels and instead just go chapter by chapter but then import the Silk/Horn conflation into their analysis of Severian which has muddied the understanding of many new readers as to what and who the main character of the work is because they don't have full knowledge of where their conception of the character comes from.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

it's an adventure game that has a puzzle where a password is someone's deadname, it's a good puzzle and also works narratively to establish that the guy who's password it is is kind of an rear end in a top hat. the waypoint review of the game comes out, calls the game transphobic, and their tweet about it was just "don't. deadname. ever" and a picture of the games logo. which incites a lot of hate from the supposedly progressive readers of waypoint. the writer it turns out, is trans and that specific puzzle is drawn from their real life experience. waypoint follows up with an article that's a little bit conciliatory but their conclusion is "it's still hateful and they shouldn't have done it", and austin specifically continued to use it as an example for awhile

meanwhile all that stuff also gets it labeled as a Gender Game so not only do the developers get hate from "allies" but also transphobes, waypoint hosed them from both sides

yea lol. its cool to be subtweeted as a bigot because i think causing trans people getting harassed because some cis person got bad tummy feels is bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is like, quite literally the kind of thing trans creatives have nightmares about, and walker gleefully enabled it and then tried to defend it when called out on it. to this day red strings club's wikipedia page is 90% a section labelled 'controversy' about how transphobic it is. this is one of the first google results if you search for it. this is what he and his site did to a trans person's work. he is not a good person.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People have a very skin deep understanding and tolerance of lgbt issues (not saying that I'm some kind of genius about them either) so it's no surprise that when confronted with something outside of making sure you use the right gender and pronouns their brains short circuit. See also the Attack Helicopter short story.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lol my question was in reply to someone who was calling Shelved by Genre the second best one and also dunked on Alzabo Soup

I have a lot of people on ignore in the forums. Whoops!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its honestly an extremely similar situation to the attack helicopter story. a lot of the same 'concerns,' a lot of the same attacks, a lot of cis Queer people going out of their way to drop volleys on trans women for daring to write something that makes them uncomfortable. if it had blown up more it could have ended a similar way.

trans people's participation in modern 'queer,' 'progressive' culture is extremely contingent on them never once daring to write, say, or do anything interesting, under penalty of exile.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

They've got a public alpha going, we're close to returning!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm stuck in bloodborne. I can't beat the watchdog of the lords in the defiled chalice. Stupid health reduction. Even using two summons I haven't been able to beat it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can beat him using a simple shoot him in the head -> dodge charge -> stab leg > run away > repeat until leg is broke > break other leg > stab in the head strat

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

People have a very skin deep understanding and tolerance of lgbt issues (not saying that I'm some kind of genius about them either) so it's no surprise that when confronted with something outside of making sure you use the right gender and pronouns their brains short circuit. See also the Attack Helicopter short story.

there's also a strong performative drive on places like twitter where people are socially incentivized to be righteous more than they are to be good

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Vermain posted:

there's also a strong performative drive on places like twitter where people are socially incentivized to be righteous more than they are to be good

i bet it's this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

yeah, and being the 'progressive games reporting site' is also kind of a perverse incentive because you kind of have to find things to tilt at

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Paying2Lurk posted:

Unironically want both of those.

and Babylon's Fall :ninja:

GunEvo is being worked on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am trying desperately to pick a new game to play and nothing is keeping me hooked. Video games are over, going to take up stamp collecting.