Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

Totally interchangeable.

The only difference between regular marines and Havoks (other than the heavy weapons, obviously) is that the Havoks have clawed feet (supposedly to grip the ground for more stability) and helmets with fancy cables and optics.

That absolutely does not matter and Havoks are just a squad of CSMs with heavy weapons.

Great thank you and you as well Mercurius. I have inherited a few CSM with lascannons and was hoping I could paint them up and put some in with normal CSM and some in with Havoks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-adeptus-custodes-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/

Goonhammer goes into the food blogging business by reviewing Custard.

Oof, this looks like a wild own-goal. What a bummer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If the Custards turn out bad can you even feel bad for them though? They are consistently the least fun army to play against.

bessantj posted:

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between Chaos Havoc Marines and Chaos Space Marine heavy support minis or are they pretty interchangeable?

Havocs are on 40mms and regular Legionaries are on 32mm. You can get 3d printed brackets that you can slip under or around your Legionaries to make them the right base size to be a Havoc though.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Eej posted:

If the Custards turn out bad can you even feel bad for them though? They are consistently the least fun army to play against.

It’s this. Custodes are misery and don’t belong in 40K. Their overinflated stats are their detachment rule, they don’t need actual detachment rules on top of them to be even more unfun.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Eej posted:

My first bloodletter! He's not unique but he's mine

Not an effect I've seen before, very cool

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

ro5s posted:

It’s this. Custodes are misery and don’t belong in 40K. Their overinflated stats are their detachment rule, they don’t need actual detachment rules on top of them to be even more unfun.

Truth

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-adeptus-custodes-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/

Goonhammer goes into the food blogging business by reviewing Custard.

quote:

This book is a standalone release, so you don’t have to wait a month to get the final points and for it to be usable in Matched Play. Yes, “this codex is legal to play in 10th edition Warhammer 40,000” is a high point. It’s not getting better from here.

These new rules – especially the changes to the Shield Host Detachment – push Custodes armies to be much more aggressive, boosting their damage output and substantially limiting their durability. Gone are the days of sitting on an objective with a 4+ feel no pain and Fights First, laughing at attempts to knock you off.

Getting mixed messages here. Making them more active and fun to play is a bad thing?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lostconfused posted:

Getting mixed messages here. Making them more active and fun to play is a bad thing?

The problem is that, while their playstyle is more engaging, they are dogshit garbage at it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like a step in the right direction but they should get some buffs on top then.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-orks-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/

Continuing with their new food blogging push, they're also reviewing mushrooms.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looks like the rumors of Games-Workshop getting their supply chain issues resolved are premature. Two local places taking pre-orders for the battleboxes seem to be saying they couldn't get all of their pre-orders in or got them cut for reasons.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Eej posted:

Havocs are on 40mms and regular Legionaries are on 32mm. You can get 3d printed brackets that you can slip under or around your Legionaries to make them the right base size to be a Havoc though.

That sounds like a plan.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Stompa box and ork codex ordered. :getin:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Sorry haters, Custodes armies are cool actually.

(Not anymore though lol)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So conflicted about Custodes now. On one hand they are the most unfun army to play against especially if you're a melee focused one on the other hand the codex just casually drops the fact that there are female Custodians so they got female space marines before space marines did.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like it's time for a new line of models and an expansion to the sisters of silence. Also can fix all the balance problems while they're at it.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

This is neat:

(check the pronouns)

Obviously it's all very 'diversity win, anyone can be an elite soldier of the fascist empire' - but I think it's nice in booting the Custodes from being specifically knightly orders into monastic ones - which opens up an interesting conceptual space for them.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Eej posted:

... female Custodians...

Big Lady :eyepop:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

Looks like the rumors of Games-Workshop getting their supply chain issues resolved are premature. Two local places taking pre-orders for the battleboxes seem to be saying they couldn't get all of their pre-orders in or got them cut for reasons.

I wouldn't expect any company to have its supply chain stuff figured out for a while longer, covid and general economic woes are still making a mess of manufacturing and logistics

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The 9ft tall women of my dreams

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
It would be a nice twist if female Custodes were something that had been invented in the days since the Heresy (since the Emperor is absolutely a raging misogynist; the only women he regularly interacted with had to swear an oath of silence).

Even in-universe, the pure-maleness of the Space Marines makes more sense than pure-male Custodes, as the latter are basically built from the ground up, retaining little more than the soul of the baby that they grind up.

Regarding the Codex, I'm a very casual player and Custodes are my so-far only army. I picked them for various reasons, but one is that their durability made it possible for me to screw up (or take narratively interesting chances) without losing half my army and ending the game. I'll be sad if they turn out to become much more fragile, and probably not play so much anymore.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't tell if you're taking the Emperor as misogynist joke as canonical reading or not but the lack of interaction with women in the fluff is more emblematic of 80s-90s attitudes towards women in sci-fi rather than Emperor Tate.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The Emperor probably wasn't intentionally written to be misogynist, but death of the author and all that, he really comes across that way. Although not so much as a Tate; more as a paternalistic Victorian. (Or as you imply: like an 1980s male nerd.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Athas posted:

It would be a nice twist if female Custodes were something that had been invented in the days since the Heresy (since the Emperor is absolutely a raging misogynist; the only women he regularly interacted with had to swear an oath of silence).

Even in-universe, the pure-maleness of the Space Marines makes more sense than pure-male Custodes, as the latter are basically built from the ground up, retaining little more than the soul of the baby that they grind up.

Regarding the Codex, I'm a very casual player and Custodes are my so-far only army. I picked them for various reasons, but one is that their durability made it possible for me to screw up (or take narratively interesting chances) without losing half my army and ending the game. I'll be sad if they turn out to become much more fragile, and probably not play so much anymore.

Actually in Echoes of Eternity there’s apparently a scene where Sanguinius flashes back to when he first met the Emperor and there are both men and women with golden armour with him. Given ADB was the one who initially pitched female Custodes, I wonder if he knew this was coming and slipped a reference in, since most people would just assume at the time it was a reference to the Sisters of Silence.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Emperor is perfectly willing to throw away and manipulate anyone regardless of gender

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Athas posted:

The Emperor probably wasn't intentionally written to be misogynist, but death of the author and all that, he really comes across that way. Although not so much as a Tate; more as a paternalistic Victorian. (Or as you imply: like an 1980s male nerd.)

I'm gonna preface this by saying none of this really matters it's background fluff for space soldiers but labeling the Emperor as a misogynist implies he favoured men. But as pointed out above he didn't give a poo poo about anyone aside from the species as a whole. He had 18-20 demigod sons who he completely ignored aside from preparing them to be conquerors. It just kind of diminishes the meaning of the word.

Now if you want to talk about misogyny there's plenty out there from the authors. Like the Matt Ward blurb about how GKs murdered a bunch of Sisters of Battle to annoint their weapons with blood of purity to go beat up some daemons.

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 14, 2024

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
the Matt Ward hate got extremely out of control and far too personal but the dude was a genuinely bad writer

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I have enough hate in my heart for Ward, McNeill, and Kyme.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

the Matt Ward hate got extremely out of control and far too personal but the dude was a genuinely bad writer

Is Matt Ward better or worse than Kevin J. Andersen? KJA has produced numerous novels staining otherwise very entertaining IPs, Has KJA ever written anything for Warhamns?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Thankfully no, and if he did I'm sure he'd be high up on the shitlist. Past such luminaries such as CS Goto and Kyme.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

This is neat:

(check the pronouns)

Obviously it's all very 'diversity win, anyone can be an elite soldier of the fascist empire' - but I think it's nice in booting the Custodes from being specifically knightly orders into monastic ones - which opens up an interesting conceptual space for them.

https://twitter.com/HMBohemond/status/1779231349754233051

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:qq:

Pretty sure they're a known shitbird, as if that comment wasn't obvious of course.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Lmao get rekt

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
What's a good source for 4 custodes-scale female heads? Gonna give my kill team Headectomy

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Stormcast Eternals

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, try to get at least one of the Sequitor boxes before they disappear and you have a bunch of good heads, both male and female ones.
There's others obviously, but the newer the kit the less chance there is that they have a similar ball and socket connection that Marines have.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

EVE Online profile pic. Definitely a shitbird.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The reaction to Rob's bit in the Custodes codex review is incredible and Custodes players are really mad. Sometimes I forget that SA is really old and modern internet has minimal interaction with our posting style.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm still chuckling at that person from the previously posted twitter account representing themselves as a character who is afraid to talk to girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
huh I thought the sisters of silence were female custodians or are they only for people who are psychic 'nulls'.

anyways, I'm all for tall muscular golden women smiting my heresy. :swoon: