Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
disney adults on boats, and starving soldiers with barrack mold. what an army he'll send.

a nice snipe, motherfuck israel and the usa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Al-Saqr posted:

guys please stop freaking out about ww3 its really silly i literally live in the middle of the parabola of the missiles and im not worried, it will be a regional conflict but not world-ending.

Cope. You’re doomed buddy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Leandros posted:

Why do the shaheds cost so much? It's a bunch of AliExpress parts and a bomb.

You are probably confusing the chinese comercial drones with a warhead / grenade they also use in ukraine. These are actual drones with much longer distances

The low end for a shaheed is like 20k, which is like 2.5x times the cost of a dumb 155mm shell made in the west. The price performance difference is massive, the west doesnt have anything analogous to it, despite them identifying they need it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

dont worry, our good loyal allies the Saudis have our backs

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

something something the shah has the right to defend Kuwait

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

VoicesCanBe posted:

I suppose we'll find out in a matter of hours how effective and comprehensive this attack actually is

The primary effects of this will be psychological - there's no way this will have any direct military effect. This attack will only be effective if Israel/America does some thing very stupid in response.

This attack will probably be effective.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
its gonna rule when western news calls the iran strikes 'sudden' 'unprovoked' and 'surprise attacks on civilian targets'

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

CLAM DOWN posted:

happy ww3 day everyone

everyday is ww3 day

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

FirstnameLastname posted:

they're pretty cheap for an autonomous killing device that can transport itself under its own power from another country

Sure but if you look at the bill of materials you would think it'd be like 2k-4k with production costs included

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Carmant posted:

Cope. You’re doomed buddy.

its ok ill be happily painting minis as im vaporized and wont regret it.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The Press TV (Iran's state news organization) website article about the attack on Israel.

https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2024/04/13/723627/iran-israel-attack-drones

Below the article, see: the Internet is weird.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1779258337340817861

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al-Saqr posted:

its gonna rule when western news calls the iran strikes 'sudden' 'unprovoked' and 'surprise attacks on civilian targets'
it didn't even make the america/western news that israel bombed iran's embassy

you could bet if an us embassy got bombed america would be raining down nukes immediately

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Sancho Banana posted:

GPS disruptions reported in Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Syria and Lebanon

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1779221026833908042?t=ZJrBfcKVDmV3PfeZ7PW_SA&s=19

Is it GPS or using "GPS" as a catchall term for satellite navigation? GPS going out is just the US dickwaving, satnav disruption taking out Glonass, Galileo and BeiDou over a region that big is a much bigger deal.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

bars

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Lmfao Biden not lucid enough to say anything anymore today

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

This might age very poorly in a few hours, but it might not. Guess we'll find out

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Shut up about ww3. That's still burger posting until the nukes fall. If you get vaporized, then you can gloat about being right.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

At least CNN is calling it retaliatory which you know, its admitting israel started it. Lets see how long headline keeps that word

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Harik posted:

Is it GPS or using "GPS" as a catchall term for satellite navigation? GPS going out is just the US dickwaving, satnav disruption taking out Glonass, Galileo and BeiDou over a region that big is a much bigger deal.

not sure what kind of attack could even take out all those different forms

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You are probably confusing the chinese comercial drones with a warhead / grenade they also use in ukraine. These are actual drones with much longer distances

The low end for a shaheed is like 20k, which is like 2.5x times the cost of a dumb 155mm shell made in the west. The price performance difference is massive, the west doesnt have anything analogous to it, despite them identifying they need it.

No I'm not. I've built some fpv drones in the past and those can be had for a couple hundred bucks without bulk discounts, I imagine the major difference is the optics and the engine and obviously a bigger payload. I'm not disputing the difference in cost for western arms procurement, just seems like they could be much cheaper.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

https://x.com/revolutionaryem/status/1779248528180871478

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

also why would scrambling GPS even matter if the buildings are in the same coordinates just put in the coordinates and go on autopilot. its not like the military base is gonna move and they probably already got the coordinates before the war.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Third World Reagan posted:

the slow drone penetrates the shield

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

This is supposed to be "punishing" Israel and not actually going to war. Makes me wonder what a real all out strike from Iran would look like. Maybe 500 drones and missiles isn't all that much to Iran.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Xaris posted:

it didn't even make the america/western news that israel bombed iran's embassy

you could bet if an us embassy got bombed america would be raining down nukes immediately

what was the official retaliation for nato bombing China’s embassy? I’m guessing it wasn’t too serious since China just wasn’t in a position of strength back then?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

also why would scrambling GPS even matter if the buildings are in the same coordinates just put in the coordinates and go on autopilot. its not like the military base is gonna move and they probably already got the coordinates before the war.

it would be more likely to affect US stuff operating in the region

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Harik posted:

I think the problem is less that it's attacking across all GNSS and rather GPS (Specific) is so ubiquitous because it's been around longer and far more stable/accessible than the other GNSSes. I don't know how common it is for a tiny little normal gps chip to use multiple/all sensors but it's also been a while since I took a GNSS class

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

banger

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

it's to gently caress with navigation mostly

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al-Saqr posted:

Unpredictable wind currents/barometric differences require course adjustments over a long enough travel path though. i dunno what they're using. but yeah it'd more likely affect US stuff like speng mentioned

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

speng31b posted:

it would be more likely to affect US stuff operating in the region

Yeah, if there is actual GPS scrambling happening right now and its not a catchall then its likely not the US doing it. Russia has been pretty successful disrupting US made systems by scrambling GPS in ukraine, and given the cooperation between them and Iran it wouldn't surprise me if they passed on their knowledge to them.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wait oh poo poo Iran actually did something??

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

anyways going to bed, best of luck to the iranians.

if they succeed please post tweets of israeli commentators crying and weeping and coping that theyre defenses failed, i dont have twitter so i lost my insight into israeli posters.

also Sancho youre a good guy please stay safe i want you to live to see a free palestine with me. good luck man and sorry you have to go through this.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

A continuous GPS signal is needed for a drone or airplane to have a good idea of its own position so that it can correct its course to the target. Backup navigation like inertial isn't nearly as accurate as a continuous satellite fix.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

the gps isn't so the drone knows where the target is, gps is so the drone knows where it is at all times. it knows this because it knows where it isn't.

duh

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

how is al-j so loving good at their job???

seriously, click that link, it accomplishes something no US news outlet has ever managed to do: it takes you to the update the TeenageArchipelago shared instead of a generic breaking news page with a random blurb about a trial nobody cares about.

The US malding about seizing vessels is never not darkly hilarious given how many we take. The last time they got this mad about iran's "unprovoked" seizure it was a ship the US stole from them that they took back.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
"Report in Al-Arabiya: British fighter jets took off from Cyprus to intercept missles and drones launched from Iran towards Israel"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1779261591273296258?t=skkxTJEy7pqr7ly53Y0tXg&s=19

How do Brits feel about being turned into their former colony's lapdog

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

At least CNN is calling it retaliatory which you know, its admitting israel started it. Lets see how long headline keeps that word

According to CNN the building "isreal" destroyed was "claimed to be an embassy by Iran"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

INS is alright for land systems, or for "close enough", like nuclear weapons, or hitting a city, but if they're trying to avoid causing collateral damage, then that's why they would use GPS.