Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Apologies if it’s semi off topic but name a greater love story than Germany and learning lessons from history, but apparently the wrong ones.

Police shut down pro-Palestinian gathering in Germany over hate speech fears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

https://twitter.com/IranObserver0/status/1779078116045930824

Ship was owned by an Israeli billionaire. What a perfidious act of piracy with absolutely no possible motivation beyond piratical greed...is what I would say if I were dumber than a sack of hammers.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I think you'll find it was flying a Portuguese flag, which is the only value that matters in determining ownership.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

teen witch posted:

Apologies if it’s semi off topic but name a greater love story than Germany and learning lessons from history, but apparently the wrong ones.

Police shut down pro-Palestinian gathering in Germany over hate speech fears

On a related note

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/12/europe/israeli-holocaust-germany-payout-october-7-intl/index.html

quote:

Germany will provide a one-time payment of $236 (€220) to Holocaust survivors, to help them cope with the impacts of the Hamas-led October 7 attacks in southern Israel.

Berlin will compensate 113,000 Holocaust survivors in Israel in the form of $27 million (€25 million), according to the German finance ministry.

“Many Holocaust survivors were hit particularly hard by the Hamas attacks, whether through the loss of their homes, support systems in the form of care,” a German finance ministry spokeswoman said.

The additional funds were aimed at helping the Holocaust survivors ”as quickly as possible (…) in this frightening and hopeless war situation,” the spokeswoman added.

This is just a random cash handout out of guilt. I'm doubtful that most of the recipients were impacted in any financial way by the attacks.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Marenghi posted:

I think you'll find it was flying a Portuguese flag, which is the only value that matters in determining ownership.

Israeli FM carping Iran is not respecting international law. I'd film a response from the wrecked diplomatic compound.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Fidelitious posted:

This is just a random cash handout out of guilt. I'm doubtful that most of the recipients were impacted in any financial way by the attacks.

Isn't there a thing where Israel pockets some of the reparations Germany pays to Holocaust victims living there?

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Marenghi posted:

Isn't there a thing where Israel pockets some of the reparations Germany pays to Holocaust victims living there?

Germany doesn't pay Holocaust survivors directly. Instead they pay Israel, and the Claims Conference.

Israel has at least on occasion in recent years held onto that money for itself.

https://www.ynetnews.com/article/B1g1vIdav posted:

Israel’s government, however, appears to offset the increase in the stipends transferred by the Germans from the monthly payments the state itself transfers to the survivors, in an alleged attempt to save money for the Treasury.

So Germany increased payments to Holocaust survivors, and then Israel decreased its own payments to survivors to compensate. That turned what should have been a payment from Germany to Holocaust survivors into a payment from Germany to Israel's state budget.

Many Holocaust survivors live in poverty. Israel using some of the money for its own purposes, and there being multiple layers of middlemen (Who are legally or illegally reducing the efficiency of these transfers) involved in the payments from Germany seem like related factors.

Fidelitious posted:

This is just a random cash handout out of guilt.

I think there is a case to be made that guilt is not necessarily the driving factor in how Germany treats Israel, and if you're of a materialist bent, you might find the other reasons for Germany to support Israel more compelling. There's a post attempting to summarize that article here (though note that some bits in that post are taken from elsewhere, so I'd encourage reading the original article yourself).

Esran fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 13, 2024

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Esran posted:

Germany doesn't pay Holocaust survivors directly. Instead they pay Israel, and the Claims Conference.

Israel has at least on occasion in recent years held onto that money for itself.

So Germany increased payments to Holocaust survivors, and then Israel decreased its own payments to survivors to compensate. That turned what should have been a payment from Germany to Holocaust survivors into a payment from Germany to Israel's state budget.

Many Holocaust survivors live in poverty. Israel using some of the money for its own purposes, and there being multiple layers of middlemen (Who are legally or illegally reducing the efficiency of these transfers) involved in the payments from Germany seem like related factors.

I think there is a case to be made that guilt is not necessarily the driving factor in how Germany treats Israel, and if you're of a materialist bent, you might find the other reasons for Germany to support Israel more compelling. There's a post attempting to summarize that article here.

Of all the people to steal money off, thats loving discusting.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The country is busy stealing land and resources from it's neighbors via quasi-state and State actors. Garnishing pensions for a quick burst of forex seems quaint in comparison.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Marenghi posted:

The charter party is the one that really matters it’s MSC which is Swiss headquartered.

They’ve notably never hit a ZIM chartered vessel.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The charter party is the one that really matters it’s MSC which is Swiss headquartered.

They’ve notably never hit a ZIM chartered vessel.

Seems like the ships is owned by an Israeli billionaire.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/ukmto-receives-report-incident-50nm-northeast-uaes-fujairah-2024-04-13/

quote:

MSC leases the Aries from Gortal Shipping, an affiliate of Zodiac Maritime, Zodiac said in a statement, adding that MSC is responsible for all the vessel's activities. Zodiac is partly owned by Israeli businessman Eyal Ofer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is like the slowest attack you can do

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1779232573979246865

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The owner doesn’t operate or control what the vessel does. The charter, MSC does. It’s an MSC vessel. The steamship line is the party with the power in the relationship.

I’m just saying they’ve yet to do anything to the vessels with the Zionist symbols giant and painted in white on the sides.

The Red Sea is about Saudi. Its pressure to keep them from normalizing with the Israelis.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Wouldn't these all get shot down pretty quickly? Is Iran just trying to save face here?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cosmik Slop posted:

Wouldn't these all get shot down pretty quickly? Is Iran just trying to save face here?

In theory, you launch the cruise missiles and ballistics missiles later so they all arrive at the samr time and there are too many targets for the air defenses to destroy. We'll see if they do that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It does seem that they're doing a simultaneous missile launch.

https://twitter.com/ynetalerts/status/1779244998665384045

quote:

The Iranian attack: Cruise missiles were also launched at Israel
http://bit.ly/3Jl9qSV

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 13, 2024

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

In theory, you launch the cruise missiles and ballistics missiles later so they all arrive at the samr time and there are too many targets for the air defenses to destroy. We'll see if they do that.

This, plus shooting at the drones can at the same time give Iran specific locations of air defense systems to shoot at if there are any specific systems they do not already have the locations for.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It's been very poorly covered by western media, but things have apparently been (more) insane in the West Bank over the last couple of days.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israeli-photographer-beaten-by-settlers-while-trying-to-document-rampage-of-palestinian-town/

Dozens of people gravely injured and a couple of confirmed palestinian fatalities. Could get even worse now, with all eyes on the Iranian response and now the wait for the response to the response.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sephyr posted:

It's been very poorly covered by western media, but things have apparently been (more) insane in the West Bank over the last couple of days.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israeli-photographer-beaten-by-settlers-while-trying-to-document-rampage-of-palestinian-town/

Dozens of people gravely injured and a couple of confirmed palestinian fatalities. Could get even worse now, with all eyes on the Iranian response and now the wait for the response to the response.

The injuries to journalists might be giving it legs, I've been seeing it pop up in relatively-normal-person media.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

This, plus shooting at the drones can at the same time give Iran specific locations of air defense systems to shoot at if there are any specific systems they do not already have the locations for.

I'm not sure how many batteries are fixed, but I'm not sure Iran has the ability to detect air defense sites in that way?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/1779138753061068918

Why do we still have Germany.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Why do we still have Germany.

"NATO exists to keep the Soviet Union out, the Americans in, and the Germans down." - Lord Hastings Lionel Ismay, first general secretary of NATO.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Iran attacking Israel from their own territory is a pretty bold move and has never happened before. It's pretty bad because Israel might retaliate and attack Iran somehow.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Doesn't Israel already attack Iran all the time?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

V-Men posted:

I'm not sure how many batteries are fixed, but I'm not sure Iran has the ability to detect air defense sites in that way?

Dunno if they are coordinating for it, but they can and it's possible.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yes, this is in response to the 1 April attack on an Iranian embassy.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004
https://x.com/Global_Mil_Info/status/1779261989983785243

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does Israel attack Iranian military personnel all over the Middle East in places like Syria, Lebanon, etc. Yes. But Israel has never attacked Iran itself to the best of my knowledge. Unless you count cyber attacks.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

Does Israel attack Iranian military personnel all over the Middle East in places like Syria, Lebanon, etc. Yes. But Israel has never attacked Iran itself to the best of my knowledge. Unless you count cyber attacks.

They’ve taken direct and indirect action against nuclear facilities over the years. Some full on air assaults and in recent years more covert attacks launched from inside Iran.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

I suppose you believe that the nuclear scientists and engineers killed on Jan 12, 2010, Nov 29, 2010, July 23, 2011, Nov 27 2020, May 31 2022 and June 2 2022 were assassinated by pixies; that the Mossad team that broke into an Iranian military archive in 2018 was actually a group of bigfoots; that the Natanz bombings in 2020 and 2021 were carried out by Nessie; that the drone attack in Karaj in 2021 was under the authority of the Baba Yaga; that the drone attack against a military base on Feb 14 2022 near Kermanshah was ordered by the mothman; that the kidnapping of Mansour Raouli in 2022 was done by a wendigo who also just happened to air video of his forced confession on Israeli state TV; that the assassination of Hassan Kodaei in 2022 was a hit by the jersey devil; that the drone attack against a factory in Parchin on May 25 2022 was done by rogue jackalopes; and that the drone strike on a military base in Isfahan on Jan 28 2023 was the responsibility of yowies

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Charliegrs posted:

Do assassinations count?

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

They’ve taken direct and indirect action against nuclear facilities over the years. Some full on air assaults and in recent years more covert attacks launched from inside Iran.

Wait, what? Air assaults? When did that happen?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The Oldest Man posted:

I suppose you believe that the nuclear scientists and engineers killed on Jan 12, 2010, Nov 29, 2010, July 23, 2011, Nov 27 2020, May 31 2022 and June 2 2022 were assassinated by pixies; that the Mossad team that broke into an Iranian military archive in 2018 was actually a group of bigfoots; that the Natanz bombings in 2020 and 2021 were carried out by Nessie; that the drone attack in Karaj in 2021 was under the authority of the Baba Yaga; that the drone attack against a military base on Feb 14 2022 near Kermanshah was ordered by the mothman; that the kidnapping of Mansour Raouli in 2022 was done by a wendigo who also just happened to air video of his forced confession on Israeli state TV; that the assassination of Hassan Kodaei in 2022 was a hit by the jersey devil; that the drone attack against a factory in Parchin on May 25 2022 was done by rogue jackalopes; and that the drone strike on a military base in Isfahan on Jan 28 2023 was the responsibility of yowies

are you ok dude

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I guess I should have been more specific. I'm not aware of any Israeli airstrikes (by warplanes) or missile attacks on Iranian territory. And we could potentially see that as retaliation for this attack by Iran.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Charliegrs posted:

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm not aware of any Israeli airstrikes (by warplanes) or missile attacks on Iranian territory. And we could potentially see that as retaliation for this attack by Iran.

The consulate in Damascus they exploded earlier?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

raverrn posted:

The consulate in Damascus they exploded earlier?

so to be pedantic and get ahead of it, Iranian territory but not the iranian homeland

Caros
May 14, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

They've done a number of suicide drone attacks, with the only meaningful distinction being that the drones were launched from inside Iranian airspace and had comparatively lighter payloads.

There is also the whole 'blowing up their embasssy' thing which you could argue is Iranian territory (We sure as gently caress would if someone did it to us)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Tatsuta Age posted:

so to be pedantic and get ahead of it, Iranian territory but not the iranian homeland

That's a difference without a meaning. Shooting embassies has pretty much always been an act of war.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

In my estimation, it seems that Iran was handed the right to retaliate by Israel

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

Do assassinations count?

Wait, what? Air assaults? When did that happen?

I take that back. I think I’m conflating Osirak, which was somewhat bizarrely almost an overall joint Iranian / Israeli action.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EDIT: nm. they did

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Iran attacking Israel from their own territory is a pretty bold move and has never happened before. It's pretty bad because Israel might retaliate and attack Iran somehow.
Yeah - they did in fact vow to do so previously. Not sure if there's a mechanism for de-escalation at this point,
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/13/israel-under-fire-as-iran-launches-extensive-drone-strikes
Looks like Netanyahu might get the war with Iran he's craved for years. The obvious questions now is what Israel's response will be and to what extent the US is prepared to get involved (Biden has re-iterated his support but there's a big difference between just helping to intercept Iranian attacks and actually prosecuting the war on Israel's behalf).

Dandywalken posted:

Did the missiles land yet?
Some of them have, apparently, yeah - explosions reported over Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Dimona.