Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

if you're on a mission where you have a couple of big objectives to destroy they're very good, just chuck em and move on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Orbital laser good: bots, bad: bugs. That's all

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I will always bring the laser against bots since it will usually be enough to delete a heavy robot base all on its own and won't immediately alert them to where you are in case you need to clean up the rest of it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BadLlama posted:

Orbital Laser really isn't good enough to justify only getting 3 in a mission and having such a big cooldown.

Its fun and cool though.

Do you mostly play against bugs? Because it's insanely useful against bot bases, especially for rapidly taking out stuff like the eye of sauron without having to fight your way through it. Sure, on a Blitz mission you might not have enough time to get use out of all 3, but on a normal mission against bots I take it every time (alongside the Eagle Airstrike)

Edit: glad everyone else is on the same page, lol

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I tried Eruptor against Bots and Bugs.

Bugs - paired it with Stalwart and Redeemer, then found a Laser Dog. This felt loving awesome. I even brought EATs for armor. Holy poo poo.

Bots - Eruptor still very fun against bots, but the little bastards juke so much it’s not quite as good. This mission rolled both Jetpack troops and berserkers so it was even shittier. I also made the mistake of trying to run Stun Grenade + Laser Cannon. I have little experience with either weapon and I absolutely hosed up. Wasn’t helpful at all. I can see how it might be good but I don’t have the aim/muscle memory to cook stun grenades and then Laser bots.

We hit a Jammer base that bugged out and never unjammed. We couldn’t hellbomb it. Lost like 10 reinforcements then gave up and extracted. On extract somebody blew up half the team with an eagle and our samples rolled down the hill. I dropped, those fuckers got in the pelican and triggered the timer, then I jumped off the cliff to get the samples. They dropped a 2nd eagle on top of me (which I survived) while I grabbed 30 samples and ran back. 2 seconds to spare.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly, bot bases in general are way easier than bug nest just because there's one to three big targets surrounded by cover rather than 'Here's a giant crater with ten holes that constantly spawn more fuckers'.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Gorelab posted:

Honestly, bot bases in general are way easier than bug nest just because there's one to three big targets surrounded by cover rather than 'Here's a giant crater with ten holes that constantly spawn more fuckers'.

Add a jammer, then a bot drop, and either a mortar base or gunship tower at the same time. e: who can forget at least 3 turrets as well

e2: other ommissions: -1 strategem for funsies, and maybe fire tornados too because why not have even more fun with 5x tornados on your terminal

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 13, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
110mm rockets are great for busting bot turrets and farbicators from range, they almost always kill em outright and the low cooldown makes them pretty convenient for a chuck n' go

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Orbital Laser really isn't good enough to justify only getting 3 in a mission and having such a big cooldown.

Its fun and cool though.

Hard disagree vs bots. Between all the other points about how nice it is to just toss at a large base and move on, it's also nice for if poo poo falls the gently caress apart. There are plenty of better strategems if you're in control of the situation, but if everything is chaos and people are running wherever and everything is foggy and there's fire everywhere, the ability to just toss down a laser that auto-targets big threats without any real risk of friendly fire is great.

Yeah it's better to not get there, but it can be a lifesaver sometimes.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That's why I usually carry the orbital laser. If everything goes to poo poo, it usually turns a disaster into a workable situation.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

For bots too it generally makes a heavy base into a rather easy situation or just deletes detector towers which is always welcome.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Orbital laser is a "make everything ok for 30 seconds" button.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

110mm rockets are great for busting bot turrets and farbicators from range, they almost always kill em outright and the low cooldown makes them pretty convenient for a chuck n' go

I like them now that I have the 4th eagles upgrade. they're just more reliable and pack a bit more punch.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I am not saying it isn't good, it is. But it doesn't need the limitations it puts on it.

An orbital walking barrage will wreck an entire base too, and isn't limited to only 3 uses.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
It's kinda humorous to think about if the super destroyers actually worked as depicted.

You have barely deiced 18 year olds saunter out of their pods and get "command" of the destroyer telling it where to go, but really they just get to pick from a few preselected options. They choose GO TO BUG PLANET on the map and then the super destroyer heads there. In reality the shipmaster retains command of the super destroyer crew and the democracy officer retains command of the war effort.

The shipmaster and democracy officer practice their most obsequious lines on the helldivers, but once they're in the pods and gone, the two go take a smoke break or go to the head. Whenever the divers complete an objective the democracy officer leans over to the mic and intones "Outstanding work helldivers. Super Earth will remember you forever." and then takes a bite out of his Liberty Burger while watching Super Earth Confidential.

The crew is relatively safe as long as they don't get hit by alien planetary defenses, and once their tour is over they can go back to living in the "idyllic" suburbs on Super Earth. Or into the biorepurposer vats I guess.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Yeah I am not saying it isn't good, it is. But it doesn't need the limitations it puts on it.

An orbital walking barrage will wreck an entire base too, and isn't limited to only 3 uses.
Sure, but you can't drop a walking barrage in the middle of a clusterfuck and do as much effective damage and you're more likely to teamkill folks or yourself to boot.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Stims work the 3rd time, sound on to hear it. Unless you let the stim animation play uninterrupted it just doesn't work.

Also 2x double gunship towers both in spawn range of each other in rocky terrain with -1 strategem and fire tornados :suicide:

https://i.imgur.com/7yKpPq8.mp4

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The orbital laser is almost exclusively my oh poo poo button.

I'll toss one out early or for a large bot base, which usually leaves one factory alive when you toss it in raw ime, and then I always save one for extract. It definitely isn't always needed but it just makes that last 40 seconds of a match pretty safe.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, the orbital laser is the only stratagem I take on literally 100% of my missions. I very rarely run out of charges of it outside of using the 3rd charge at extraction sometimes but usually I just drop it on bug breaches or bot bases or even dropship piles (after the dropships leave) to take care of them while I run in the opposite direction and it owns for that.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Baiard posted:

It's kinda humorous to think about if the super destroyers actually worked as depicted.

You have barely deiced 18 year olds saunter out of their pods and get "command" of the destroyer telling it where to go, but really they just get to pick from a few preselected options. They choose GO TO BUG PLANET on the map and then the super destroyer heads there. In reality the shipmaster retains command of the super destroyer crew and the democracy officer retains command of the war effort.

The shipmaster and democracy officer practice their most obsequious lines on the helldivers, but once they're in the pods and gone, the two go take a smoke break or go to the head. Whenever the divers complete an objective the democracy officer leans over to the mic and intones "Outstanding work helldivers. Super Earth will remember you forever." and then takes a bite out of his Liberty Burger while watching Super Earth Confidential.

The crew is relatively safe as long as they don't get hit by alien planetary defenses, and once their tour is over they can go back to living in the "idyllic" suburbs on Super Earth. Or into the biorepurposer vats I guess.

yeah, its the democracy officer who's the real command of the super destroyer, you're just picking what front you want to die on
he has a ton of great lines about sacrificing the helldivers to achieve objectives and whatnot, give him a listen if you're ever bored waiting for people to join up

"From one thawed hero to the next..."

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Baiard posted:

But they better not use the democracy officer's hot tub. That poo poo's off limits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't been able to complete a single civilian evacuation mission. Not just because the enemy spawns are massively overtuned but the civilian pathfinding is absolutely terrible and they keep getting stuck on geometry before a rocket barrage or a bile spewer kills them all.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ZearothK posted:

There's a Terminid from HD1 that burrows tentacles under the ground to attack patriots from a distance. There's been a dataleak of the tentacle models that suggests it or something like it will pop up eventually.

Did it look anything like this?

But maybe with more meat on it?

hey mom its 420 posted:

I like them now that I have the 4th eagles upgrade. they're just more reliable and pack a bit more punch.

Are you sure it does? It's not on the list of strategems affected. It only lists Eagle Airstrike, Smoke Bombs, Cluster Bombs and Napalm Airstrike...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baiard posted:

iirc effectively nobody in the seaf or helldivers has ever actually set foot on super earth. they're all drawn from the colonial holdings

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just had three pub players walk to the extraction and ... quit? Maybe they were all in a party and a forth friend wanted to play, but drat maybe finish the mission. I managed to run around like a fool and still extract with the 40 odd samples we'd all gathered, but drat. If they were trying to troll me I guess it worked because even though I did get out with the goods, there was a lot of cursing at my monitor and I wish they'd just stuck around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do think it's hilarious that a lot of friendly fire deaths are caused by Arc weaponry and flamethrowers, and in response, rather than give Helldivers better protective equipment, the ship upgrades instead make the shock and fire damage even more lethal.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I just had three pub players walk to the extraction and ... quit? Maybe they were all in a party and a forth friend wanted to play, but drat maybe finish the mission. I managed to run around like a fool and still extract with the 40 odd samples we'd all gathered, but drat. If they were trying to troll me I guess it worked because even though I did get out with the goods, there was a lot of cursing at my monitor and I wish they'd just stuck around.

That most likely means you got desynced/disconnected from the group and shoved into a solo version of the mission

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BitBasher posted:

Did it look anything like this?

But maybe with more meat on it?

Nah, that one is clearly a Hive Lord, which is also probably coming up.

I am thinking of the Impaler

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

turn off the TV posted:

iirc effectively nobody in the seaf or helldivers has ever actually set foot on super earth. they're all drawn from the colonial holdings

That seems crazy that they don't offer a carrot like that, but it would make sense when you think about the scale of a galactic empire.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

deep dish peat moss posted:

That most likely means you got desynced/disconnected from the group and shoved into a solo version of the mission

Interesting; so they also got out with their samples? Huh, neat.

Also, I've switched back to using the regular liberator for no other reason than that it feels thematic to spray it around.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

is this game fun solo and with a controller

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Oh screw that thing!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Google Butt posted:

For both questions it can be done it’s just a different experience.

For solo play you generally want to be more stealthy using hit and runs instead of trying to hold the point.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Tried playing with a playlist of all the mass effect soundtracks, it worked pretty well. You get a lot of different moods and sometimes things match up in really awesome ways. I'll try the XCOM and some of the other suggestions and maybe build a custom playlist at some point.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

FunkyFjord posted:

The orbital laser is almost exclusively my oh poo poo button.

I'll toss one out early or for a large bot base, which usually leaves one factory alive when you toss it in raw

For large bases I like to open with an Eagle Airstrike on a spot where it can hit 2 of the fabricators, then chuck the laser further into the base from the same spot. It's like 90%+ effective for wiping the entire base instead of leaving a fabricator up that you then have to find and destroy in the now pissed-off hornet's nest. Usually there are too many units and the fabricators are too far apart for the laser to do it all.

This also has the benefit of clearing almost all of the bots in the base (since you probably took out a bunch with your airstrike and the laser doesn't have as much stuff to chase), so if you don't get a bot drop you can go in after and hoover up samples too.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Google Butt posted:

If by solo you mean without a premade group then yes, I’ve rarely had anything bad to say about the random players it matchmakes me with. If you mean turning off matchmaking and playing all by yourself then no, not really. Some folks will say otherwise but I wouldn’t bother.

Controller is great.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I bring the laser and ALWAYS save one for the evac because you just know those bot fuckers are going to come at you hard in those last 2 mins and it saves a miserable team wipe on the pad or being chased around by 3 hulks while you try to get on the plane.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

You can absolutely play solo and it's also on the PS5 so controller works fine. Solo isn't nearly as much fun as even just joining a random pubbie group and pinging poo poo on your map, plus the game has good pings to tell people what's up

Honestly I play with friends and goons but when I don't wanna talk I just log on and ping poo poo and it's fine and also better than solo, again imo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Benagain posted:

You can absolutely play solo and it's also on the PS5 so controller works fine. Solo isn't nearly as much fun as even just joining a random pubbie group and pinging poo poo on your map, plus the game has good pings to tell people what's up

Honestly I play with friends and goons but when I don't wanna talk I just log on and ping poo poo and it's fine and also better than solo, again imo.

Cool, I did mean just joining pub groups without a mic. Basically because of my cloud gaming setup I won't have a mic, but if goons are cool with that then I'll join up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The game will fill your lobby insanely fast and reliably if you just leave it public - when I’m looking for a quick game on lunch break or whatever I’ll just host a public lobby and I don’t think I’ve ever gotten past the mission start without the game being filled