Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this series is like the lord of the rings. never stops never stopping.

pro tip for future vault dwellers: do like the culture, for practical purposes you take your surname from who gives birth. then change later after who cares. at least that way you can avoid the awkward overseer election interference "its your name"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is the Fallout series worth watching?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, it's surprisingly solid. The people complaining are jumping the gun to have something to post about. "I got two episodes in and something happened that doesn't make sense to me!" well watch the whole eight episodes maybe

"They pushed F:NV out of canon!" who cares, it was never canon anyway

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Apr 13, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Can we tread a bit carefully with Fallout spoilers? It just dropped a few days ago.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

HopperUK posted:

Can we tread a bit carefully with Fallout spoilers? It just dropped a few days ago.

War never changes

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

War never changes

hosed up, if true.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

War never changes

Season 3 spoilers War ends up totally changing. Now everyone rides giant mutated animals who shot lasers. And it's awesome.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's better than I had hoped, and I was carefully optimistic. It's not perfect but a solid 8/10 for me. Biggest problems for me are some pacing issues, but aside from that it looks exactly what you'd want a Fallout show to look like, Walton Goggins is great, the other actors are solid and the story is fine.

You might roll your eyes at some points or have an annoyed sigh but overall it's a very enjoyable ride and definitely worth your time.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah it is surprisingly solid, not incredible but way better than I was expecting and it gets that Fallout feel down. Also it has Walton Goggins and he can do no wrong and he does no wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks all.

Just watched the first episode and reckon it's worth watching the rest.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks all.

Just watched the first episode and reckon it's worth watching the rest.

Yeah but have you considered the guy melting down about names or something? (yes i know this is the irrational thread)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So loving glad I stopped giving a poo poo about inflexible adherence to canon when going from one medium to another.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Taeke posted:

It's better than I had hoped, and I was carefully optimistic. It's not perfect but a solid 8/10 for me.

I watched the first two eps last night and, so far, same. I didn't really care about it until I found out that Jonathan Nolan was running the show and the first season of Westworld was great so I figured this would be worth checking out. Its fun. Dale Dickey shows up in ep 2 and she rules. Seeing people complain about the "Fallout Canon" and New Vegas erasure or whatever is insane. Who could possibly care.

Thats my perennial IIMM-ish thing: gently caress lore obsession and the demand for every bit of a fictional story to fit within some fully realized and painstakingly mapped continuity. People were pissing their pants when Fury Road came out about "how does it fit with the Mad Max canon?!?!" and the answer is it doesn't, go gently caress yourself. Please just let stories be their own thing and not have to plug seamlessly into some greater universe of disparate media. You want multi-dimension MCU bullshit? Cause that's how you get multi-dimension MCU bullshit.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So loving glad I stopped giving a poo poo about inflexible adherence to canon when going from one medium to another.

I posted this a month ago in the TVIV thread for the show, and to the surprise of no one I was absolutely correct.

Torquemada posted:

The teaser for this a few months ago had me vaguely interested, the actual trailer looks like everyone involved understands the assignment.

This show will be made for the 90% of people who don't know what the gently caress Fallout is, with some fan service to the 9.9% who know Fallout 4/76 or 3 or New Vegas. Yet, I somehow get the feeling the only noise I'm going to hear about this show is the droning bullshit of the microscopic amount of Fallout 1 +2 fans yelling about lore no one cares about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Having your enjoyment of something depend on its canoncity is insane to me, especially for a series with basically no recurring plot or characters and double especially for different adaptations. It's like being bothered by the existence of the Lord of the Rings movies when reading the books.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

People are way too critical nowadays anyway, and act like it's a personal insult when something isn't perfectly tailored to them specifically. I remember a friend of a friend going off on a rant how tv and movies suck now because Ms. Marvel and She Hulk and whatever. Dude, you're an almost 40 year old white guy, you're just not the target audience despite your love for Marvel.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
My ADHD is setting a new personal best for how long it's taking to watch a show with Fallout, coming up on six hours since I put it on and I still have 27 minutes of the first episode left to watch :v:

I will say though, it certainly looks the part - barely any time passes without there being something on screen you'd recognise from the games except good writing :grin:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm just annoyed they dumped all the episodes at once.

It's so much better when you get to shoot the poo poo about a show as it comes out. I've got all these theories after the first two episodes, but what's the point when anyone else into the show has already watched the whole season?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's so much better when you get to shoot the poo poo about a show as it comes out. I've got all these theories after the first two episodes, but what's the point when anyone else into the show has already watched the whole season?

Then if you do assert how far in you are and talk about how you are hoping the show will go there's always that one rear end in a top hat even in specifically spoiler-free threads being coy about plot points.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've played about a half hour of Fallout 1 and only know about the other games through cultural osmosis. I thought the first episode was mediocre, the next two outright bad, then the final five suddenly got a lot better and made me interested in a second season. I'm kinda bummed I haven't had much chance to really talk about the show proper here though because the majority of posts seem to be making GBS threads on people who care too much about the lore, or different parts of the lore, or some other nonsense.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oddly enough I tend to get impatient and disengaged at weekly shows, but when a couple shows like Always Sunny drop 2 episodes a week I love it. Kinda feels like you get something more substantial to chew on that way, while still having that fun of anticipation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I find it helps make the release days a bit more special, especially when they still aired on TV channels. Like it was a small ritual back before I missed an episode and fell behind that after work on weekdays I'd tune into Supergirl on monday evenings, Flash on Tuesdays, Arrow on Wednesdays and Legends of Tomorrow on Thursdays. It made those days feel special.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been a Fallout nerd since 1998, and was back in the day a very active member on No Mutants Allowed. The Fallout curmudgeon in me wants to hate the show, but it's shockingly well executed. It does video gamey stuff without being overly winky at the audience. It's goofy enough to walk the edge of comedy and not-comedy.

Also I learned that Walton Goggins is not Steven Ogg even though they both have "ogg" in their last name.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I've been a Fallout nerd since 1998, and was back in the day a very active member on No Mutants Allowed. The Fallout curmudgeon in me wants to hate the show, but it's shockingly well executed. It does video gamey stuff without being overly winky at the audience. It's goofy enough to walk the edge of comedy and not-comedy.

Also I learned that Walton Goggins is not Steven Ogg even though they both have "ogg" in their last name.

Would love to see Goggins in a GTA game now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

I've been a Fallout nerd since 1998,

a little late to the party but I’ll allow it I guess

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
You know which show owns? Doom Patrol. Watch Doom Patrol.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Carthag Tuek posted:

i just realized another thing i dont like, now

a lot of stuff is written and filmed as "self-contained" scenes, in several variations, and then cut those disparate scenes together to something that resembles a narrative. i know that has been a fact since the invention of cinema, but recentlyi think theyre getting sloppier with cutting it together. or possibly i just notice it more

theyre showing annoyance before the thing that triggers is shown, a subtle nod and whispered "now" to a compatriot before they even realize to discuss a plan. and worst of all, they leave in scenes that i guess are meant to look like its all spontaneous but they look like improv outtakes (which they would be in a decent society)

some of this is based on the first 2.5 episodes of the fallout series, but it applies to pretty much everything ive seen in the last 5 years or so

the above is all factual. thank you for my ted talk

Not sure what the gently caress you're talking about.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

this series is like the lord of the rings. never stops never stopping.

pro tip for future vault dwellers: do like the culture, for practical purposes you take your surname from who gives birth. then change later after who cares. at least that way you can avoid the awkward overseer election interference "its your name"

I'm not sure, but I think you may be missing the point.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Torquemada posted:

I posted this a month ago in the TVIV thread for the show, and to the surprise of no one I was absolutely correct.

Ok, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a big fallout 1/2 fan and I thought the series is great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yeah same I'm loving it. I expected garbage and I'm so happy to be wrong.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My fallout thoughts:

1: boy I regret eating while watching episode 4 cause that's a rough opening. Spaghetti was not the correct choice.

2: Goggins is amazing in everything he does.

3: so many pistol builds I want to do. Glad I have a 3d printer.

4: I'm about halfway into episode 5 and it's still holding up.

My rationally irritating thing is I loving hate that prime has ads now.

Oh yea, never played the game at all so I'm just barely familiar with the lore. I hope there's some synths later though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My fallout thoughts:

2: Goggins is amazing in everything he does.

Agreed he killed it in that episode of big bang theory

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

woke kaczynski posted:

Oddly enough I tend to get impatient and disengaged at weekly shows, but when a couple shows like Always Sunny drop 2 episodes a week I love it. Kinda feels like you get something more substantial to chew on that way, while still having that fun of anticipation.

Two episodes a week is great. It feels special.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt that why TV used to have two-parters for pilots premiers/season openers and season closers? oh and mid season stuff sometimes?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Arrath posted:

Not specific enough.

Star trek: the episode with khan
Star trek: the movie with khan

I'm getting flashbacks to when I inquired my dad over whether Khan had always been a popular character before Star Trek II or if bringing him back was looked at as a random move when the film was first announced. He recalled that the Khan episode, "Space Speed," was basically known as "The One With Ricardo Montalban."

So while the fan reaction wasn't exactly "holy poo poo they're making a direct followup to an all-time classic episode!" But there was an overall positive "oh cool Ricardo Montalban's returning, he played a good villain, this should be interesting" vibe.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so how did they gauge fan metrics back then, was it just snail mail volume, convention metrics, and so other old fashion stuff? or was it 1000% just gut feeling vibes and who ever they could afford to get back?

oh also survivor ship bias.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

so how did they gauge fan metrics back then, was it just snail mail volume, convention metrics, and so other old fashion stuff? or was it 1000% just gut feeling vibes and who ever they could afford to get back?

With Star Trek TOS it was apparently poo poo loads of fan mail. NBC office staff apparently hated it, as they had a policy of responding to ever letter at the time.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

wrong thread lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
neat, im now imagining some interns having to read letters and keeping a tally of keywords with an pen and paper.

lol at pre computer book keeping and data entry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dr_rat posted:

With Star Trek TOS it was apparently poo poo loads of fan mail. NBC office staff apparently hated it, as they had a policy of responding to ever letter at the time.

The funniest Star Trek fanmail story is definitely how in first season of TNG they didn't have a Chief Engineer character and instead were going to cycle through actors and see who fans liked the best. One actor tried to game the system with an orchestrated campaign of letter writers, except they messed up and started sending letters before he first appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

PhazonLink posted:

As far as Khan goes, according to Harve Bennett he was bingeing Star Trek reruns looking for inspiration because he had no clue what to do with the movie, and when he ran across Spock wondering aloud what might become of Khan if they were to revisit him in the future, Bennett basically shrugged and thought "that plot works for me!"

I'm sure Ricardo Montalban being the star of a then-currently running hit TV show didn't hurt, either.

But yeah, in general Star Trek fans notoriously made their interests known loud and clear:

dr_rat posted: