Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I play this game exclusively with pub groups and no mic with voice chat disabled entirely and it's fun as hell and entirely possible to succeed on the highest difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I played an easy bug mission to rebind some keys to my new gaming mouse (side clicks for stims and reload, so no more emotes instead of stims again lol)

And yeah the erupter and g pistol are top tier bug brings. I feel like if I brought a stun grenade and a stalwart I’ll be good to go. Biggest issue is the bug holes and the pistol makes dealing with those a breeze because of their arc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I always bring a laser and ems. Both are beyond helpful like you wouldn’t believe. My load out at this point is boring but honestly I like being able to single handedly deal with most threats by myself. Just because you never know. And I hate running around like a headless chicken

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
One of my favorite things about this game is everyone has a slightly different default loadout. Me personally I rock airstrike, 380 bombard, EAT, and autocannon turret as my default automoton and flamethrower, airstrike, jump pack, and Gatling on bugs. But it's always fun to switch it up

Also remember folks, if your turret is off cool down throw it perpendicular to your line of advance! It'll shoot things you're advancing on and draw off patrols. If there aren't any patrols there now there will be later

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Man, both Menkent and Lesath suck

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Me on Menkent: surely THIS time it isn't going to spawn insane firestorms on every objective and the extraction

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Droxis posted:

A buddy and I play high stakes rock, paper, scissors at the extraction ramp. Whoever loses gets their head blown off, much to the horror and confusion of the pubbies.

That sounds a lot more fun than the explosive handshake just disconnecting my friend. :(

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I actually really like the biome Menkent has and fire tornado is pretty annoying but man there's so much, just, bloom, you can't see poo poo

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I agree about the biome. Mostly I just I miss Ustotu and Durgen. Beautiful maps where vision obscuring stuff was fun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

suuma posted:

I actually really like the biome Menkent has and fire tornado is pretty annoying but man there's so much, just, bloom, you can't see poo poo

If you're sick of the bloom feel free to head on down to Fori Prime!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gorgeous

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It actually is probably my favorite planet aesthetically, these are from the same mission as that ultra-dark screenshot

It transitions from "pitch black" to "horror movie" to "laser tag arena" to "ok now it's normal" throughout the course of a single mission.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 14, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I legit like Fori Prime, hope it (or something with the same conditions) sticks around for a long time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baiard posted:

That seems crazy that they don't offer a carrot like that, but it would make sense when you think about the scale of a galactic empire.

the carrot is being given a b or c class citizenship or something along those lines, just not permission to ever visit super earth

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I got to experience the joys of a fire tornado typhoon during extraction. I've never seen so much concentrated fire.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was soloing a level for fun and trying to hellbomb the research station took 5 minutes because the fire tornadoes would not stop spawning around my hellbomb and me lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wish they threw your body somewhere if caught in one. Drop gear at base of it still, then you get flung way out

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Has anyone seen a factory strider recently? I haven't seen one since the Cyberstan invasion despite doing a lot of 7s and 8s.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Eruptor may not be able to kill a Bile Titan on its own but it can sure as gently caress finish them off pretty well. I killed two in my last game with it. Here's one I did solo with a combination of a grazing 500kg, direct Napalm hit, then an Eruptor shot to the chest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTmlAh3BRY
(So nice of my teammates to abandon me when I was carrying all the samples)

Here's another finish, this one took an orbital rail cannon to the back (and SEAF smoke lol) and then dropped with an Eruptor shot to the gut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRXh_fU98Fg

This one was more interesting since you can see he wasn't bleeding out as bad compared to the first one I did solo. It seems if you can tag them with a 500kg or Orbital the Eruptor may be enough to put them down after. I loving love that gun.

Edit: Another Eruptor tip, someone on reddit said to aim for the legs/crotch on devastators for 1 hit kills. I tried it on my last run and it does indeed seem to be easier and more consistent 1 shots than trying to hit their face. Their torso will also launch into the air which is really fun to watch!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 14, 2024

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Sindai posted:

Has anyone seen a factory strider recently? I haven't seen one since the Cyberstan invasion despite doing a lot of 7s and 8s.

Now that I think about it I haven't seen one since then either. I only ever saw two before that but still, no sign of them since.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ive never seen one :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sindai posted:

Not sure they're still in the enemy pool. Wasn't playing at the time they were showing up, I've been doing 9s recently and still never seen one.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

"This is Pelican-1, clear the landing field, Helldivers!"

The landing field:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

the bot menace

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sindai posted:

My guess is that the bots saw they were a giant slow moving target for helldivers to just dump half a dozen strategems on at once from a safe distance and discontinued them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I've only seen 2 total and they both went down within a couple seconds to two 500ks

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ponzicar posted:

My guess is that the bots saw they were a giant slow moving target for helldivers to just dump half a dozen strategems on at once from a safe distance and discontinued them.

The one time I saw one it got hit with probably every single thing everyone was holding. It almost lived through it all. It was stupid funny and I really wished I remembered to take a video.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

BadLlama posted:

I am getting real sick of stim pack animation playing, sounds going off but loving nothing happens because the player gets flinched by a flea landing on them.

Sometimes I play with no sound because there is less distracting feedback. Lots of gigantic enemies can already sneak up on you and I'm constantly watching the map anyway.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sindai posted:

It has twice the rate of fire, similar damage and AOE,
It's not actually similar damage because of the eruptor's shrapnel.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

deep dish peat moss posted:

I play this game exclusively with pub groups and no mic with voice chat disabled entirely and it's fun as hell and entirely possible to succeed on the highest difficulty.

It doesn't need to be this way

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just wish we could tell if others have disabled voice chat. Feel pretty stupid when I don't know if I'm taking a void or not. And after years of using Zoom/Teams, knowing if the other players are muted would be good too. "Jim, I think you still have your mic muted." "Ope, haha, you're right. Still getting the hang of this, amirite!" "At your salary you shouldn't be..." "What was that?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Risky Bisquick posted:

It doesn't need to be this way

It’s fun as hell bc you just use in game commands to talk

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

I just wish we could tell if others have disabled voice chat. Feel pretty stupid when I don't know if I'm taking a void or not. And after years of using Zoom/Teams, knowing if the other players are muted would be good too. "Jim, I think you still have your mic muted." "Ope, haha, you're right. Still getting the hang of this, amirite!" "At your salary you shouldn't be..." "What was that?"

My UI has a little crossed out Mic by the names, I thought that meant they had voice disabled?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Was talking to goons about how Helldivers is a great update on Starship Troopers because in 2024 there isn't a mass-movement concept to our homegrown fascists anymore. Instead of a recruit drafted into a nazi army you're a kid being scammed, being told you're the greatest so you'll get into a pod and go down alone to an alien planet to get killed. It's all a grift, you don't even see the people grifting you, and then you die psyched up by radicalizing media. The helldiver is the chud 19 year old online radicalized mass shooter fascist of the 21st century, not the 20th century kid enjoying his time in the wehrmacht as one of the crowd.

It's fascism but for the atomized individual in our online isolated car-dependent capitalist society.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did a full bug campaign on 7 with pubs just now to get the daily mission done. I've been doing bots only for the last week or two, however long the galaxy campaign has been throwing us at them, so it's been a while since I've fought bugs and man, whoever said bugs are easier wasn't kidding. Even the hordes aren't as scary, because at least they don't start lighting you up with lasers and rockets as soon as they see you.

Also tried a quick 5 to test out the Eruptor and Grenade Pistol, and whoops, we got swarmed right away and I immediately lost my Stalwart, and so I had to play for quite a while with nothing but single-shot weapons that would explode in my face if I got swarmed by bugs, which wasn't a lot of fun. :(

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Coming from bot front to bugs does make you feel le a grizzled veteran, they are no where near as difficult

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

BastardySkull posted:

Coming from bot front to bugs does make you feel le a grizzled veteran, they are no where near as difficult

Seriously, I went back to bugs for a few missions and had two deathless runs in a row on 7. It's nice not getting lit up by random poo poo all the time. I can't wait until the order focus is back on bugs.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Wild how they took a concept that sounds as cool as "fire tornadoes" and made it about standing around waiting for 5 minutes.

Heaven forbid you try to actually maneuver around them, because half of the fire they leave behind is invisible.

https://i.imgur.com/ztFsu0F.mp4

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is there anyway to tell if the nests for the bug flyers, the ones that look like mushrooms.. is there a way to tell if you can destroy it via a weapon or if you need to hellbomb it? or can you destroy any of their nests with the right weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Any bug structures can be destroyed via medium pen weapons, doesn't take long for the autocannon to take out a spore tower, but takes 2-3 rockets per shrieker tower.