Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Kammat posted:

Hold up a sec here. Something just hit me that's really sticking in my craw.

So much like merpeople, Pam has to spend oh so long as human, then hits a point where she has to go as a cat to balance it out as such. This also implies that Pam may have a stable cat/human hybrid form which I'm just gonna go right on past now thankyouverymuch. But just last week we were transforming mice permanently into flowers which is stable.

Why can't DNA wizard offer Pam a stable form? Is it a given that anyone who can shift has to follow a schedule? How does the family that summers with the merpeople stay stable for their trip?

OW MY BRAIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/4/43

Thank you for this important PSA, Scarlet. Perfectly delivered, no notes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:drat:

Would certainly like real life leaders to be this dedicated especially when it comes to protect their nation's forests and seas.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 13, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kammat posted:

Hold up a sec here. Something just hit me that's really sticking in my craw.

So much like merpeople, Pam has to spend oh so long as human, then hits a point where she has to go as a cat to balance it out as such. This also implies that Pam may have a stable cat/human hybrid form which I'm just gonna go right on past now thankyouverymuch. But just last week we were transforming mice permanently into flowers which is stable.

Why can't DNA wizard offer Pam a stable form? Is it a given that anyone who can shift has to follow a schedule? How does the family that summers with the merpeople stay stable for their trip?

OW MY BRAIN.

Pam wanted to be able to stay a cat.

Pam also likes money. This was her choice. She wanted to stay a cat forever, but: reasons.

Hwurmp posted:

Why do all the conniving types in Prince Valiant have names like Sleath or Slivens or Slutt

Because these names perfectly encapsulate the personalities of those characters.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Sure, learn guitar with a song originally written for piano, that will work well. And is popular with Boomers, don't want anything written after 1980 of course.

SKelly, gently caress you.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Next: The Reckoning

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 15, 1910)

Baron Bean(April 15, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 15, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 6, 1919)

Us Boys(April 13, 1912)

The Gumps(May 12, 1917)

$6 in 1917 is $158.66 today

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Kennel posted:

The Uchida household appears to consume almost exclusively Western children's media.

Worth pointing out that Thomas The Tank Engine is really popular in Japan. The universal love of trains is the track to world peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkuvIg_CMqE

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Worth pointing out that Thomas The Tank Engine is really popular in Japan. The universal love of trains is the track to world peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkuvIg_CMqE

even organized crime in Japan has links to Thomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0AAiv75kfQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h9Xdu0O_Fw

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Literal :lol: on this one.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Sounds like an Animal Planet show.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 16-17, 2006)

Two strips today because we're at the end of the arc. Starting tomorrow: Your Taxes At Work!

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 14, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese (spoiler'd for term for Roma peoples)

Blueberry

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Her boyfriend's alter ego is Captain Vegetable.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

1. Having a personality trait is not the same as having a brand. Of the four examples listed, only Dez has a "brand" that could be easily monetized. I guess Les might be able to go for a Jackson Galaxy thing, but then he'd actually have to know about cats and not just like them. The other two are variants of "nice" and that is not a brand.

2. LOL at anyone finding that grown-rear end poopy diaper baby to be "perfectly sweet"

Gil Thorp

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Re: Mark Trail. In the hands of a better writer, you could use the fact that horses existed in North America about 10,000 years ago (a short time on a geological scale) to explore their status as an "invasive species", as well as the concept of invasive species in general. Instead we're getting the tech-bro plots again.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

This was another story that Martin incorporated into his Mexikid graphic novel. There, however, the border cops not only get the homemade tapes, but also Pedro's Green Arrow Mego action figure! The family actually has less trouble getting back into the US at the end of the book due to Pedro's Fonzie impression.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

The Deleter apparently appeared in a story a couple of years ago starting from here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953606&userid=135823&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post513404079

(I have completely forgotten it, despite being the one who posted it)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 14, 2024

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

I'll do my best, but the next page is super text-dense so it may be coming a bit late.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/28/52

Archie 2/13-15/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 6/20-22/77

Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, of course, as played by Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford in All the President's Men.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 14, 2024

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Zits

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh gently caress off, Zits.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Zits continuing it's slow transformation into Dustin.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Cat in WAR is perfect.

loving love Bok too. "Royals who like to fight? drat. Not sure about needing clothes thing but this place is kinda cool."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

idgi :confused:

Schwarzwald posted:

Up until this story arc I had no idea the Foob Family had two dogs.
They just got the second one relatively recently.

Forum accident posted:

Frank and Ernest
(6/10/1994)
I don't get this one either. :confused:

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft
What the gently caress are you talking about Crankshaft there are cash registers in every shop. :confused:

Zereth posted:

The kid was watching Thomas the Tank Engine on TV too.
And Pingu.

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn
Maybe it's me, because this is the third comic today I just don't understand. :confused:

Ah yes, proper grammar is truly a sign of respect among young people, especially when texting.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Everyone else has already said it, but yeah, this sucks

Cowslips Warren posted:

Cat in WAR is perfect.

I love how the kid's saying "cats say meow!" and it looks like the cat's offended at his pronunciation or something

Prince Valiant

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

My take on the A&J strip is that Arlo made a list of all the sex stuff they have to do in bed, but then when Janis acts like she's going to do it for serious, he has to back down and they just go to sleep (or he doesn't make it past item 1). Sex, at least. Sex. :heysexy:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Tiggum posted:

I don't get this one either. :confused:

A goofy rhyme; not much more than that to get.

Tiggum posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about Crankshaft there are cash registers in every shop. :confused:

Presumably he means old-school mechanical cash registers like the one pictured, though it is of course unclear why in particular they are to be valued other than "that's how things used to be".

Tiggum posted:

Maybe it's me, because this is the third comic today I just don't understand. :confused:

It does tend to be you, but I think the idea here is that you will continue to age and thus grow (especially if you are a child) even while time traveling, so if you spend too long between leaving the present moment and returning to it, you will have visibly changed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

The tragedy is Spam no longer needs a key.

However they do have like 20 flavors now compared to like 1 back in the 70s.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Mexikid character design is the bomb.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

as soon as he mentioned the key I started singing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpsfBsN_Dg

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Aces High posted:

as soon as he mentioned the key I started singing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpsfBsN_Dg

Well goddammit now I need to rewatch UHF.

Thanks a lot, pal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I might be remembering wrong but didn't the strip already do an arc a while ago where Phoebe traveled back in time and met her dad as a kid?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Larryb posted:

Also I might be remembering wrong but didn't the strip already do an arc a while ago where Phoebe traveled back in time and met her dad as a kid?

I was thinking that as well, but then I thought maybe I was confusing it with the time that happened in Sally Forth.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(6/15/1994)

(6/16/1994)

Ziggy

(11/18/1971)

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: Origins

I can usually vaguely get what Boyce is going for even when he makes no sense, but I legit have no idea what a "Y2K meeting" could possibly mean in the year 2006.

Pluggers

Dog grandma reading to dog kid about a pet dog.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth: Black and White

(the "proper" one)

Peanuts (April 17, 1977)

Crankshaft reminds us that the people who gave you the hippie movement think the current generation is too silly to live.

Thimble Theater (November 17, 1940)

Popeye

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pancho Jueves posted:

I can usually vaguely get what Boyce is going for even when he makes no sense, but I legit have no idea what a "Y2K meeting" could possibly mean in the year 2006.

It's a fairly safe guess that it's referring to stocking up on supplies in case the Y2K computer crash threw the world into chaos, hence the character having all the canned food. I'm not sure where the "meeting" part comes in though. Maybe Boyce went to some kind of neighborhood informational meeting about emergency preparedness and thought that was a universal experience?

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Kinda want to play Joust now.

FoxTrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought they explicitly referenced her going to see her dad as a kid before.