Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Also the partner saying you're "playing" parent is definitely going to treat your new child well. Probably the best thing to do is get married right away and have another kid together that definitely won't be treated as the "real" child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Crocobile posted:

Whattup dysfunctional childhood friends. :smith::hf::smith:
These guys know what’s up. SIL isn’t acting like a normal adult who wants to do a nice thing for a kid, she’s projecting her fantasy of the child she wished she had (because she’s unhappy with the kids she has) onto OP’s daughter. OP is right to be creeped out!

And there is specific relavent info in the post:

:whitewater:

Yeah as someone who was his dad's primary therapist for like 10 years the SIL needs therapy and boundaries not playdates

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
The SiL sounds like she's getting fantastically overwhelmed, and the person who said this is a cry for help was right. I wonder how much support she's getting from her spouse and when the last time she's been able to take a day for herself was

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
probably built her whole future in her head around the idea of being a certain sort of parent and has since discovered that she will never have that future and instead has to be a much harder and more difficult version of a parent, forever

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Most Power Alex posted:

Probably because the bars in the area don't allow outside food and he can't enjoy his crab cakes without getting smashed on sparkling brut at the same time.

He could sit in his car in the parking lot, eat crab cakes from the bag, and swill Brut straight from the bottle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

He could sit in his car in the parking lot, eat crab cakes from the bag, and swill Brut straight from the bottle.

Rollin down the street, smokin indo
Sippin' on 'cakes and brut
Laid back
Got my mind on American Girl Dolls and American Girl Dolls on my mind

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for refusing to lend my daughter out to my SIL for a “mommy and me tea”?

She’s always talked about how nice it would be to take her hypothetical daughter shopping or brunch instead of being home alone while Brandon takes the boys out to basketball games or fishing.

Sheila loves going out to eat but can’t take Cooper or Teddy along because they can’t cope with being still or in loud places with lots of people around.

They can handle basketball games but not restaurants? Maybe the mom just has bad vibes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mystes posted:

lmao at "I have no idea what to do". I think what she means is "I know exactly what I should do but I'm not going to do it"

drat, trapped by the supremacist pussy.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

big black turnout posted:

Also the partner saying you're "playing" parent is definitely going to treat your new child well. Probably the best thing to do is get married right away and have another kid together that definitely won't be treated as the "real" child

It could also just be a turn of phrase given that nothing else actually indicates she wants anything beyond a single date night?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
wrt to the trans Nazi, what I'd like to know from OP is if there is any chance of extricating the two of them from the Nazi's family. I guess I'm kind of sympathetic because I was exactly that kind of shithead in my teenage years, thanks to being raised in a similar kind of environment, and I do wish I had an easy way out instead of having to figure things out on my own from info I picked up here and there on the Internet.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

AITA for telling my father “I do know about that”?

quote:

I (F28) am a wildlife biologist. I have a master’s degree in Wildlife Conservation and am hoping to go for my doctorate soon. I have worked in this field since I was 16, and am very passionate about it.

When visiting my family recently for Easter, my mom asked me to tell the family a little bit about work. I was very excited to talk about my current research! Here’s where the issue comes in, though.

My father (M60) would respond to almost everything I said with “hmm, I don’t know about that…” At first, I tried to ignore it, but it just. Didn’t. Stop. Eventually, I responded “Well, I do, given the two degrees and all!” I responded in a light, playful tone, but he did not take it well at all. He immediately accused me of being disrespectful. I responded “I’m sorry, but it’s disrespectful of you to insinuate that you know more than I do about my field.”

Dinner got pretty quiet after that. I finished the meal, helped with the dishes, and said goodbye before leaving, but on the ride home I got a phone call from my mother asking me why I felt the need to aggravate my father and why I had to “talk back.” I am a 28 year old professional, this feels insane to me. AITA?

EDIT: My goodness, wow, that’s a lot of comments. I don’t have it in me to respond to all of them with life being so busy right now, but thank you!

quote:

OP has offered the following explanation for why they think they might be the rear end in a top hat:

I may be the rear end in a top hat because I was unable to ignore my father’s behavior, potentially ruining the night instead of choosing not to take it personally

OP says this bullshit is a pattern with the dad. I like all the comments saying to reply to everything he says from now on with , "Hm, I don't know about that ...."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pleads posted:

They can handle basketball games but not restaurants? Maybe the mom just has bad vibes.

I'ma let the kids have that one. At basketball games you don't have to sit quietly and not stim.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mllaneza posted:

I'ma let the kids have that one. At basketball games you don't have to sit quietly and not stim.

I feel sympathy for her having two special needs kids, but to be honest that part had me eyeing her a little askance. She apparently never goes on these outings, not because wrangling the kids is hard, but just because they are "boy" things. Which makes me wonder a) why she can't go fishing just because she lacks a penis, and b) whether they have tried any other more "gender-neutral" family outings like going to the park or something where the boys don't have to sit quietly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Strap in.

AITA for refusing to host Easter dinner if nephew is invited?

quote:

Throwaway bc wife knows my account.

I (37) and my wife (35) have been arguing about this all week.

Our nephew (22) has always been troubled, even though SIL (44) and BIL (48) have always treated him well. Some examples of his unsettling behavior:
  • He was caught feeding one of BIL's horses avocados (poisonous to horses) to make it sick. I have dogs and don't want him to hurt them as well.

• He demands to be called the names of two specific fictional characters. He believes he is these characters, reincarnated. If you call him by his real name or refuse to go along with his delusions he becomes aggressive.

• He carries around a plushie of one of these characters everywhere. There is a hole in the back. The hole is stained. I have tried not to jump to conclusions about what he does to that plushie and failed. It smells rancid, and honestly just thinking about the thing makes me want to vomit.
I have tried so hard to be patient with his "quirks" as my wife puts it, but what really pushed me over the edge was an incedent that occured a few weeks ago. For context, wife has struggled with infertility for our entire marriage, and we had given up on having our own kid until we recently discovered she is pregnant. Given the fact that she's 35, we have been surprised and overjoyed.

A few weeks ago, wife started randomly getting rude texts from nephew, insulting our baby. One text implied that our baby would have FAS, due to my wife's previous drinking problem, even though she has been sober for years. I wanted to call up that insensitive brat and tear into gim, but wife insisted we gently let him know via text that we didn't appreciate his comments. When he kept going and my wife started crying, I called SIL. She was able to shut him down and get him to apologize. I have no idea what the hell got into him, but I suspect it has to do with his hatred of women.

Wife believes that he may be on the spectrum/ have undiagnosed mental illness and that he needs to be treated patiently. I think he has been coddled his entire life and it has only made him worse. I think if someone doesn't put their foot down, his behavior will escalate into something dangerous.

Here's where I may be TA. Each year, wife and I host Easter Dinner for her entire family. Wife has already forgiven nephew for the incedent and is insisting we invite him so that he isn't isolated from his family, something she believes will worsen his behavior. I see her reasoning, but enough is enough. I refused. I said she is being a doormat like everyone else in the family when it comes to him, and that our manchild of a nephew can't just make her cry and get away with it with an empty apology. Some of my friends are saying that I am being controlling and that I can't stop her from seeing her own family. I feel like I am going insane. AITA?

RELEVANT COMMENTS

quote:

Reddit Commenter: He has a history of poisoning. He has a history of hating women. He has a history of mentally abusing your wife. He has a history of saying the baby will have birth defects.

It seems like it would be fully within his capabilities to poison your wife to hurt the baby. Sounds crazy but this guy definitely is.

OP: This is exactly what I am afraid of. I feel like nobody in the family wants to admit that his problems aren't just him having quirks; they're warning signs of potentially dangerous behavior later on and they need to be dealt with. I am glad I am not alone in thinking this-- I was starting to wonder if I was overreacting. Like, the plushie thing and him thinking he is certain fictional characters is one thing, but the animal cruelty and anger towards women is what really have me concerned.

quote:

Reddit Commenter: Yes, the animal cruelty is a clear sign of him being an actual psychopath. The issue is how to make your wife see this without pushing it. Most people don’t want to believe their family is capable of such cruelty. You’ll have to be very very gentle if you intend to discuss it at all. Worst comes to worst, very carefully watch the food and drink.

Personally I can’t believe anyone in the family puts up with that utterly disgusting plushie! I mean how can they expect you to bring your future child around that.

OP: His parents got it for him when he was a kid. They thought it was cute when he brought it everywhere. I think on some level, they still see him as a child so they kind of refuse to acknowledge what he does to that thing.

quote:

Reddit Commenter: NTA but honestly the whole family are for allowing this to continue. How long has he behaved like this for? I can’t believe no one has taken him to a doctor I mean just the fact that this adult man is carrying around a stinky stained plushie of a fictional character is bad enough but the trying to hurt a horse thing? And no one thinks that’s worth looking into?

OP: His mom does try to push him to go to therapy and to get a job, and he usually will get a therapist-- for a few weeks. And then she is back to begging him to get therapy. She didn't want to push him when he was younger, but now that he is an adult she cannot make him do anything. At least he has learned (after getting fired for this previously) not to take his plusie to the jobs he manages to hold down for a month or two.

quote:

Reddit Commenter: Do you know if he has harmed other animals/wife's safety?

OP: I do not know if he has harmed other animals. He was actually vegan for a few months at one point, and was very anti animal cruelty. I don't know why he flipped and tried to hurt one of the horses, and honesty the fact that he can go against his own supposed values like that also scares me.

I think I need to emphasize to my wife that this is a matter of safety rather than me just being mad at our nephew for his comments (although that is also a part of it). My wife has always wanted kids so badly, and before she got pregnant, I think she projected a bit of that onto our nephew as we watched him a decent amount when he was younger. I get that he's family and she loves him, and it's hard to admit that someone you love could be a danger to you, but she also has our baby to think about.

I think I will show her these comments in the morning after I make her tea and apologize for calling her a doormat/getting upset while arguing. I need to aproach this a bit more gently, as you guys are confirming for me that it really is more serious than him just being rude.

MINI-UPDATE

quote:

My wife and I had a long talk this morning in which I made it clear that I was more concerned about her and our baby's safety than anything (I also apologized for resorting to name calling last night. Wife isn't a doormat, she just has a lot of love and patience for her family).

It was a hard talk with some tears from both of us, but she agreed that this has escalated to a point that may become dangerous, in part due to the enabling from all of us. Honestly I am also guilty of coddling him, especially when he was a kid.

It's hard to admit when someone you took care of as a kid has grown into someone unsafe to be around, but I think the idea in this comment might work as a way to set boundaries without shutting him out permanently. We are going to call his mother and explain that Easter Dinner isn't happening this year if nephew is coming, and that he is welcome to come over when he has a diagnosis and has stuck with a therapist for at least a couple months.

Thank you all for your advice

FULL UPDATE (two weeks later)

quote:

This bizarre series of events started on Easter and has only gotten weirder since. For those of you who did not read/don't remember my original post, my Nephew was banned from our recent Easter dinner due to a concerning pattern of behavior, including recent disturbing text messages to my pregnant wife about her unborn child.

Since then, his parents eventually agreed to not bring him after a lot of arguing. SIL (nephew's mother) eventually admitted that he may need professional help and that Wife and I "may have some reason" to be worried for out safety around him. And on Easter, our worries were proven more than reasonable.

He showed up uninvited, using BIL's car (his parents came in SIL's car). Our dinner was interrupted by aggressive pounding on our door. I don't know how to put this without it sounding insane so here goes: Nephew was at our door, holding a sword, and dressed as the Joker. He tried to say something, but I slammed the door in his face and told everyone inside what was going on.

Chaos, predictably, insued. BIL, a generally calm guy who I have never seen freak out or get angry, turned beet red and went outside. He ended up literally chasing Nephew around our house, screaming at him, in an attempt to get him to leave. Neighbors came outside and SIL went into damage control mode, talking down one concerned neighbor from calling the police somehow.

He dropped his sword in the chase and BIL tackled him on our front lawn. They got him into SIL's car somehow and they left with him. Easter dinner was ruined. Wife was in tears. I was so mad I was shaking.

Good news is that this was a wakeup call for SIL and BIL. Under threat of them withdrawing financial support, Nephew has agreed to seek therapy and surrender access to his Tumblr blog, which he previously would spend hours a day posting on. His mother went through it and found a lot of alarming posts, including content about his hatred for women, screenshots posted of his text exchange with my wife with captions bragging about his hurtful behavior, and several disturbing "fanfictions" with violent sexual content. They believe him being too online is worsening his behavior and are hoping that limiting his access and forcing him into therapy will help.

Thank you for all who convinced me to stand my ground in the comments of my original post.

quote:

Reddit Commenter: NTA, Look for all I care you can be a rabbit identifying as a frog, or believe you are Superman, if you aren't hurting anyone and can function in society, have at it...BUT, This guy is scary AND dangerous. He hurts animals, hates woman, and has a false sense of reality. The family has enabled this behavior for years.

Nope, I wouldn't want him anywhere near your pregnant wife, and later your child. He is going to hurt someone.

OP: Funnily enough you almost guessed which two characters he identifies as: a frog, Kermit to be exact (yes as in the muppet), and the Joker (not Superman, but from the same source material).

This lead people to FIND THE NEPHEW'S TUMBLR ACCOUNT

Random Commentor posted:

https://www.tumblr.com/the-muppet-joker

I just scrolled a lot, because I'm on my phone and not reading all that as there's multiple posts a day, but I did just see a posted screen capture of the-muppet-joker talking to his mother about the messages to his Aunt.

The screen capture post was made on 7th March and OOP posted on Reddit on 21st March. If it's a bit then it's an insanely committed one.

EDIT 1: And we have horse poisoning on 25th February.

"if he dies, maybe I'll finally be the favorite son instead of playing second fiddle to a loving animal."

And post vet treatment, as this horse getting poisoned has happened before

"I find it funny that he'll hire a private detective for a horse but not attend his own child's badminton games. Priorities."

EDIT 2: Right, I have now done my Reddit public service for the day, the earliest post I could scroll to on the blog was 23rd May 2023. There are unredacted names in various conversation screenshots, the-muppet-joker refers to having been kicked in the head by a horse, and a number of anti horse tagged posts.

Another Random Redditor posted:

Ohgods. THIS AH. He's caused some drama in the Hazbin and a few other communities. I know he's been banned from several more. I've had to ban him from a couple gaming communities.

I think he's a Redditor as well, so be careful he doesn't start harrassing anyone here.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Troublemaker posted:

AITA for telling my father “I do know about that”?

OP says this bullshit is a pattern with the dad. I like all the comments saying to reply to everything he says from now on with , "Hm, I don't know about that ...."
Whenever I hear about an older person saying "I don't know about that" I think about this dumb SNL skit so I think op should send it to him
https://youtu.be/YvT_gqs5ETk

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Cythereal posted:

i (20/f) hooked up with another girl (18) 2 days ago and she is a neo-nazi.

I think the wildest thing is I know at least like three people who have done this poo poo as well lol

Turns out young and vulnerable people who have been in the closet their entire life can sometimes make bad judgement calls when offered a shred of intimacy, compassion or empathy.

Also for anyone who thinks it's actually fine to "borrow the daughter" for mother's day, imagine if someone asked to borrow your partner for Valentine's Day because they have a lot of issues with their partner and they just wanted to do "normal partner things". The removal of autonomy plus the clearly bigger issues should be pretty obvious.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

WIBTA for breaking up with my girlfriend because she "asked for a date night"?

Bros before hoes, man.

But for real, she should break up with him. She didn't ask for any of this, and doesn't seem like she's on board. As soon as you have a kid, you can kiss your world goodbye, because it's not about you anymore.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Cythereal posted:

i (20/f) hooked up with another girl (18) 2 days ago and she is a neo-nazi.

what's the phrase - if there's 9 people loving, and one nazi joins them, there's 10 nazis loving?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mordiceius posted:

This led people to FIND THE NEPHEW'S TUMBLR ACCOUNT

:eyepop: Ho-ly poo poo.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Strap in.

AITA for refusing to host Easter dinner if nephew is invited?

Christ

That kid needs to be committed.

Like, yes, that kid REALLY loving NEEDS therapy but sometimes therapy needs to come from a place where they have drugs available and patients aren't able to open the doors.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Mordiceius posted:

Oh my. That's so on-the-nose crazy it doesn't feel real.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I just enjoy a good “OP had a spine” story.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Was he dressed as Leto joker. Phoenix Joker, Ledger Joker, Nicholson Joker, or one of the other ones?

And my prediction when I started reading was incorrect, I thought one of the characters he insisted on being called would be Sephiroth.

That would fit better. When he showed up with the sword and they opened the door he could say "Welcome to the reunion"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that kid is going to kill someone and it probably won’t be himself

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So he's fuckin a Kermit, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

He probably heard jordan peterson and thought kermit was telling him to join the alt right

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So he's fuckin a Kermit, right?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

quote:

Mother believes tumblr is fueling my "delusion" that I am the Joker (she does not respect my kin identity).

Forget therapy, that train left long ago. They need the old-fashioned guys with the white coats and a net.

That blog is the kind of thing that is dug up after someone goes on a killing spree and has everyone asking "HOW DID THEY NOT NOTICE THE GIANT FLASHING WARNING SIGNS!?"

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

The_Franz posted:

Forget therapy, that train left long ago. They need the old-fashioned guys with the white coats and a net.

That blog is the kind of thing that is dug up after someone goes on a killing spree and has everyone asking "HOW DID THEY NOT NOTICE THE GIANT FLASHING WARNING SIGNS!?"

I'm surprised the parents didn't buy him a gun for his birthday, what could go wrong?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Please don't kermit horse murder

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the internet makes you stupid

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe those millennial parents could afford therapy for their disturbed child if they weren't buying so many avocados

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Maybe those millennial parents could afford therapy for their disturbed child if they weren't buying so many avocados

do you have any idea how many avocados horses eat??!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

DEAR MISS MANNERS: At a restaurant, I was attempting to enjoy a meal with friends while taking in the beautiful ocean view. When I glanced to my right, I saw that the guy at the table next to us was wearing low-hanging shorts that revealed his butt. He was a young guy and appeared to be with family.

Restaurants don’t seem to have dress codes or refuse service to customers not dressed in a decent manner.

We had already ordered and were waiting for our meal when I first noticed the guy. So I said, in a voice that the customers next to me could hear, that I could see his butt -- how disgusting when you’re in public. The family ignored me, so I repeated my statement again, a little louder.

My friends said I should just not look. But I’m single and always monitor my surroundings to stay safe.

Finally, the mom (I assume) came over and said very quietly that I should have just come over to their table quietly to express myself. Then she went back to their table and told him, not in a quiet tone, to pull his shorts up, and he did comply.

I don’t want to see anyone’s butt at the meal table. I don’t feel it’s my place to say anything, but it would have been unsafe for me not to be aware of my surroundings.

How would you recommend handling this situation if it happens again? It was a mood-killer for me.

quote:

GENTLE READER: Yes, it is unsavory to mix unsolicited nude sightings with lunch.

But Miss Manners notices that you twice mentioned safety and monitoring your surroundings. Having properly identified it, what exactly did you think the butt was going to do to you?

In any case, the mother was correct: Discreetly coming over to her table would have been far more polite than making a scene. Or you could have told a restaurant employee. Because having publicly announced your displeasure in a loud voice -- twice! -- no one believes that you really thought it “not your place to say anything.” You just chose not to do it directly, which no doubt resulted in a mood-killer for the rest of the restaurant.

So was this actually someone's bare rear end, or did this woman feel threatened by sagged pants, a fashion that has been around for over three decades and is associated with gangsters and the inner city?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

wheatpuppy posted:

I feel sympathy for her having two special needs kids, but to be honest that part had me eyeing her a little askance. She apparently never goes on these outings, not because wrangling the kids is hard, but just because they are "boy" things. Which makes me wonder a) why she can't go fishing just because she lacks a penis, and b) whether they have tried any other more "gender-neutral" family outings like going to the park or something where the boys don't have to sit quietly.

You don't have to wonder that hard, swapping the genders of a story is still a pretty useful thought exercise for a reason.

I've seen that kind of thing before, and it's usually just as well that they never get to have their perfect little daughter because we drat well know the mom will see them as nothing but their little doll for their entire lives.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

trickybiscuits posted:

So was this actually someone's bare rear end, or did this woman feel threatened by sagged pants, a fashion that has been around for over three decades and is associated with gangsters and the inner city?

r/relationships: what exactly did you think the butt was going to do to you?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Having just recently gone through outpatient therapy, that muppet joker needs to be committed like a year ago. I'm not surprised by his comments about feeling overshadowed by a horse, though. Op said he was "treated well" by his parents, and that always feels like for rich parents who just throw money at everything.

That tumblr is loving surreal though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
lol

my best employee quit on the spot because I wouldn’t let her go to her college graduation

quote:

I manage a team, and part of their jobs is to provide customer support over the phone. Due to a new product launch, we are expected to provide service outside of our normal hours for a time. This includes some of my team coming in on a day our office is normally closed (based on lowest seniority because no one volunteered).

One employee asked to come in two hours after the start time due to her college graduation ceremony being that same day (she was taking night classes part-time in order to earn her degree). I was unable to grant her request because she was the employee with the lowest seniority and we need coverage for that day. I said that if she could find someone to replace her for those two hours, she could start later. She asked her coworkers, but no one was willing to come in on their day off. After she asked around, some people who were not scheduled for the overtime did switch shifts with other people (but not her) and volunteered to take on overtime from others who were scheduled, but these people are friends outside of work, and as long as there is coverage I don’t interfere if people want to give or take overtime of their own accord. (Caveat: I did intervene and switch one person’s end time because they had concert tickets that they had already paid for, but this was a special circumstance because there was cost involved.)

I told this team member that she could not start two hours late and that she would have to skip the ceremony. An hour later, she handed me her work ID and a list of all the times she had worked late/come in early/worked overtime for each and every one of her coworkers. Then she quit on the spot.

I’m a bit upset because she was my best employee by far. Her work was excellent, she never missed a day of work in the six years she worked here, and she was my go-to person for weekends and holidays.

Even though she doesn’t work here any longer, I want to reach out and tell her that quitting without notice because she didn’t get her way isn’t exactly professional. I only want to do this because she was an otherwise great employee, and I don’t want her to derail her career by doing this again and thinking it is okay. She was raised in a few dozen different foster homes and has no living family. She was homeless for a bit after she turned 18 and besides us she doesn’t have anyone in her life that has ever had professional employment. This is the only job she has had. Since she’s never had anyone to teach her professional norms, I want to help her so she doesn’t make the same mistake again. What do you think is the best way for me to do this?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

trickybiscuits posted:

Probably OP got spooked because it was a nonwhite asscrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

lol

my best employee quit on the spot because I wouldn’t let her go to her college graduation

lol get hosed, especially at "I did intervene and switch one person’s end time because they had concert tickets that they had already paid for, but this was a special circumstance because there was cost involved" you piece of poo poo.