Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

So I finally beat the gold stakes with the checkered deck. I'm sick of flushes, but it seems like such low hanging fruit.

Any advice for the next deck/build type I should try? I still have about 11 jokers to unlock.

At least pre-patch, I've found Ghost Deck easiest and the most fun to clear with and Plasma Deck easiest to play, since you really just want to stack chip jokers.

My order was Checkered, Plasma, Erratic, Green, Yellow, Ghost, Blue, Zodiac, Anaglyph, Red, Nebula, Abandoned, Magic, Painted, and Black.

(Orange stake on black was worse than gold stake on any other deck to me)

Phenotype posted:

If I have two jokers and one of them is eternal, and I use one of those spectral cards that gives one joker a bonus and kills all your other jokers, does that always end up with your eternal joker getting the bonus, or is there a 50% chance that your other joker gets the bonus and the kill effect bounces harmlessly off the eternal joker?

Per my understanding it'd be a 50/50 for spectral cards like Ankh, but Madness will always ignore your eternal jokers and eat one if it can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Personally, I'd say:
Move Up: Baseball Card, Hologram, Burglar, Even Steven, Blue Joker, Green Joker

Drop down: the non-pair/flush ones like The Trio, Scholar, DNA, Acrobat, Mystic Summit, Ancient Joker

I only ever take green joker if I'm positive I won't need to discard. It hardly ever gets to scale for me because I need those discards. If I have Burglar though, all bets are off. DNA is incredible though, and you'd be a fool to drop it down.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Relyssa posted:

I only ever take green joker if I'm positive I won't need to discard. It hardly ever gets to scale for me because I need those discards. If I have Burglar though, all bets are off. DNA is incredible though, and you'd be a fool to drop it down.

The trick to green joker is when you're stacking it you don't need discards because it makes playing simple hands very strong. You do have to get it early though.

I thought DNA was busted when I first started playing but I've gotten a lot more lukewarm on it now. I've found really if you have good tarot engine capacity it tends to be easier to stack your deck with all of the same card that way because stuff like death is essentially -1 card I don't want +1 card I do so you end up with a smaller decksize quicker and can guarantee you get a hand full of the same thing easier.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 13, 2024

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Beasteh posted:

Has anyone had Cavendish expire on them (I have)

First time I ever got cavendish was after the ante 7 boss. After the ante 8 big blind it died and I couldn’t beat the round.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

finally had a baron/steel kings deck going and ruined it by not paying attention

i had vagabond and blueprint as well so had been playing a bunch of high card before playing 3 or 4 kings to win, just to get lots of tarots to make more kings etc. came up against the boss "only play one hand type" but was on autopilot and played 3 crappy high cards for the tarots. then only realised i was on that boss when i tried to play 4 kings and got denied. :negative:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

After my banana fiasco my next good run I was handed foil constellation and holo astronomer right away. And I found a holo Cavendish soon after. The banana has atoned.

The patch is fantastic. The joker tags now being free and there always being at least one joker pack in the first shop allows for so many more runs to take off.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 13, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

If you need all 4 hands to clear the blind, then Green Joker will be a net increase even if you use discards.

If you don't need all 4 hands to clear the blind, then you just play junk hands to get rid of cards rather than discarding and Green Joker will go up. (This does cut into your income, but being able to dump $1 into permanent +1 mult is pretty decent.)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

If you need all 4 hands to clear the blind, then Green Joker will be a net increase even if you use discards.

If you don't need all 4 hands to clear the blind, then you just play junk hands to get rid of cards rather than discarding and Green Joker will go up. (This does cut into your income, but being able to dump $1 into permanent +1 mult is pretty decent.)

This all makes sense to me but it still makes the brain sad to see -1 mult pop up whenever I discard.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The worst thing with Green Joker is when you get one early and The Hook is your ante 1 boss. The cards it discards at the end of the turn count as a -1. If you get it late with Stuntman though you can just play the full 5 cards and ignore it, which feels nice.

Relyssa posted:

This is specifically thinking about gold stake and I've rarely gotten a DNA while I've been strong enough to effectively play a hand down - I wish I've had it when I've had a Stuntman or another set-up for a high card build already cooking, maybe seeing it pop off once would change it.

Green Joker kicks rear end when you get it early with a consistent build, I'm keeping a spreadsheet with my cards as of clearing and it's been a part of 4/24 of my gold stake clears. That's only behind Stuntman (11), Vampire/Supernova (8), Square Joker/Blackboard (6), and Hologram (5).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wow ty for keeping track of jokers used thats gonna be super interesting by the end. Not surprised to see stuntman that high he's the king.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
orange deck is so brutal. been seeing a lot of people talk about how it's when the game became not fun for them and I totally get it. the patch is making it better but part of me wants to beat it before it's patched as a badge of honor. think I'm up to about 6-7 hours of total play time just on orange

best run so far was ante 8 with an almost all diamond deck, the straight gap joker, card sharp, and some perma common ones that were good for some +mult but it crapped out at about 200k

was able to do a lot of straight flushes but still ran out of steam, so frustrating

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

orange deck is so brutal. been seeing a lot of people talk about how it's when the game became not fun for them and I totally get it. the patch is making it better but part of me wants to beat it before it's patched as a badge of honor. think I'm up to about 6-7 hours of total play time just on orange

best run so far was ante 8 with an almost all diamond deck, the straight gap joker, card sharp, and some perma common ones that were good for some +mult but it crapped out at about 200k

was able to do a lot of straight flushes but still ran out of steam, so frustrating

The issue with pre-patch orange is packs getting too expensive makes it very difficult to tune your deck with tarot cards, it's still possible to go for complicated builds like straight flushes (I recall one of my orange stakes wins I had the joker that gives you 1.5x mult per uncommon alongside 4 fingers and the straight skipper, so it was v easy to play straight flushes), but it's difficult to pull off consistently you basically have to hit a rare combo of jokers. If you're looking to do it before the patch the best bet is a much more boring approach of grabbing early scaling jokers (green/supernova/ride the bus) with some reasonable chip jokers (square/banner/blue/castle/stuntman/literally any foil card) and then try to fill in the gaps with whatever reasonable followup options (income gen, easy xmult like blackboard, ramen, sharp, acrobat). It's boring but it's p consistent, usually you'll hit something that can get off the ground every couple of runs and if you get enough pieces it turns into a win. An important thing here is to pick up the reroll voucher if possible as a late ante eye/wall can kill you, as can the violet vessel, but you have a reasonable chance of that not happening regardless and it's not impossible to get enough scaling options to get over them.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I really need to buckle down and start winning plasma deck runs because I think that's the only way I'm gonna unlock stuntman at this rate

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

No Wave posted:

Wow ty for keeping track of jokers used thats gonna be super interesting by the end. Not surprised to see stuntman that high he's the king.

I knew it'd drive me insane to not have an idea of what order I got the gold stickers in, plus I'm listing them in a rough order of "made the run" to "made no impact but I could sneak a negative Seance into this build" for each run.

So far the weirdest clear I've had was this one with the Zodiac deck, I had to sell Astronomer for Verdant Leaf and Hallucination is just in there because I was holding two Judgments to roll for jokers I didn't have the sticker on

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Color Printer posted:

I really need to buckle down and start winning plasma deck runs because I think that's the only way I'm gonna unlock stuntman at this rate

Ghost deck is easier imo since you are more likely to get red seals.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Some stats of mine so far, top 3 cards:

Jokers:

Fortune Teller (explained shortly)
Abstract
Blueprint

Tarots:

Hermit
Temperance
Emperor

Planets:

Jupiter
Uranus
Earth

With Pluto probably gonna pass Earth and Uranus soon.

Spectrals:

Immolate
Hex
Aura

Vouchers:

Hieroglyph
Seed Money
Grabber

But most vouchers are pretty close in stats.

Money is king in Balatro and if you can really start scaling money with Hermit and Temperance, it allows Fortune Teller to scale pretty well. I can typically get it into the 40s-50s by the end of a run if my money situation is good.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I would have gotten Stuntman on my ton-of-Kings erratic deck win yesterday if that loving Soul card gave me Triboulet and not Canio :shepicide:

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Color Printer posted:

I would have gotten Stuntman on my ton-of-Kings erratic deck win yesterday if that loving Soul card gave me Triboulet and not Canio :shepicide:

Hey if you have a ton of kings then canio turns hanged man into 2x mult!

I wish canio worked with strengths/deaths too I feel like that's always my main trouble when using him. Essentially he only works with 1 of the tarot cards, maybe glass works so I guess judgement might be good too. I know there's other methods like trading card to trigger but it does often feel p niche.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

(Actually on the tier list thing I'd move up Mr. Bones to like, B because if you get him in the 8th blind he's pretty much an auto-win, skip to the boss and he's -1 joker slot to clear with 25% of the chips)

On that note, big ups for Mr. Bones getting me my Rough Gem golden sticker in exactly this way lol

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Fun fact! If you play the Anaglyph deck, you can't get the negative joker tag. At least it loving feels like it after not finding any for 2 full runs.

Edit: Call me Johnny Seventags

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 13, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tURydXfCVlQ

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Beasteh posted:

Has anyone had Cavendish expire on them (I have)

I had it expire and then show up in the very next shop with a perishable sticker. It was funny enough that I couldn't even be mad.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven't gotten the Cavendish yet simply BC I have never been offered the gros Michel until the very end of a run but it is so funny that this game has a reference to the Panama disease outbreak

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

Fun fact! If you play the Anaglyph deck, you can't get the negative joker tag. At least it loving feels like it after not finding any for 2 full runs.

Edit: Call me Johnny Seventags

you absolutely can

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

skill issue, as per

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Relyssa posted:

you absolutely can

I know you're right, but now I've done 3 successful runs with the anaglyph deck and all of them finished ante 8 with 7 double tags.

I took one of them to ante 12 I think and I dumped the tags on getting 400 gold from one tag so it was useful for something at least.

Now I'm better at playing without any deck bonuses I guess? I wanted to play with 12 jokers but I'll take it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/vapathyv/status/1779189569029558297

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The gay flush is when you flush the toilet even though you only went in there to snort ketamine

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I love picking up Bloodstone and not seeing a single heart convert tarot after opening up at least ten packs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Color Printer posted:

I love picking up Bloodstone and not seeing a single heart convert tarot after opening up at least ten packs

That's okay, it wasn't ever going to fire anyway

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

they should give oscars to video game mods

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

gently caress you stuntman

where the gently caress are you

loving finally

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
So I got 'Baron' for the first time, as well as a Blueprint to go with it. But I still couldn't get the numbers up (green deck green stake). I got a few kings in my deck with the joker that duplicates the first played card, but it seems all these card mults apply before the plus mult instead of after. How do I play this joker? I was going mainly for high cards.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Unless there's a combination of the Baron/Blueprint/Mimes that will give me more points I think this may be the end of the run.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Running Baron needs a few other cards that keep the engine going. Everything about xMult is about how many times you can trigger it. Turn your kings into steel cards so they trigger 1.5x twice. Put a red seal on them and they trigger two more times. Find a Mime that triggers all of your cards in hand and the whole process starts over again. Find a Blueprint/Brainstorm and then it starts over again. Find a Burned Joker or Telescope voucher to consistently level up high card or pair. Then any supplementary jokers could be chip based or have an extra xMult (Steel Joker would be good) and you can go off.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah. Baron alone on a normally 2 mult pair with five kings in hand is 15 mult to be adjusted with your other jokers, already as good as an eternal gros michel or 100% hit rate on a mult-for-suit joker; Baron with five red seal steel kings is 6,651 mult before other jokers.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Lived the dream with a negative tag, along with Bull which was a legit part of the build I got to sneak in useless copies of Jolly Joker, Drunkard, Zany Joker, and Shoot the Moon

If only ios had the update they'd have all been free and I could have cashed in the last few without potentially shutting down Bull, oh well

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

On my fourth complete anaglyph run I finally found a negative tag. On the big blind on Ante 8 :v:

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Running Baron needs a few other cards that keep the engine going. Everything about xMult is about how many times you can trigger it. Turn your kings into steel cards so they trigger 1.5x twice. Put a red seal on them and they trigger two more times. Find a Mime that triggers all of your cards in hand and the whole process starts over again. Find a Blueprint/Brainstorm and then it starts over again. Find a Burned Joker or Telescope voucher to consistently level up high card or pair. Then any supplementary jokers could be chip based or have an extra xMult (Steel Joker would be good) and you can go off.

I had a blueprint, but didn't have that many steel cards, no kings anyway. How do I get all these steel cards and red seals? Couldn't afford to open that many packs because my +mult joker only went up on rerolls. I think my problem with that run is there were three different ideas pulling me in different directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pisshead posted:

I had a blueprint, but didn't have that many steel cards, no kings anyway. How do I get all these steel cards and red seals? Couldn't afford to open that many packs because my +mult joker only went up on rerolls. I think my problem with that run is there were three different ideas pulling me in different directions.

I mean... that's the RNG. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Early in a run if I see Chariots and Death cards I try to hit my kings and queens because it works very well with Baron and Shoot the Moon, which I always found to be a consistent winning strategy. But sometimes you don't see those and get a Hack instead and you're hosed.