Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

is there anyway to tell if the nests for the bug flyers, the ones that look like mushrooms.. is there a way to tell if you can destroy it via a weapon or if you need to hellbomb it? or can you destroy any of their nests with the right weapons?

You can destroy any of their nests with the right weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The shrieker nests can be destroyed by AT stuff like EATs, but Quasar is preferable since at minimum you will need 2 EAT hits to kill the nest (possibly more)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Strong Sauce posted:

is there anyway to tell if the nests for the bug flyers, the ones that look like mushrooms.. is there a way to tell if you can destroy it via a weapon or if you need to hellbomb it? or can you destroy any of their nests with the right weapons?

Shrieker Nests are damagable - something like two EATs or 9 autocannon rounds per mushroom. Orbital laser will destroy the whole drat thing too. Most tend to blow it up that way versus hellbombing.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

"Now what are the odds of that?" I chuckle to myself as I resolve to never play on this lovely planet again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Janissary Hop posted:

"Now what are the odds of that?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

You don't need a hellbomb -- several weapons can do it. Two anti-tank rockets or equivalent per tower (there are three in the cluster). The autocannon can also destroy the shrieker lairs but it takes about 10 rounds per tower. Still, absolutely worth the ammo to be able to pop them from a distance.

The spore towers go down with two AC rounds or one AT.

e: beaten

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also the gatling sentry is fuckin fantastic against the shriekers. If you have several of them at once it looks like a WW2 air raid

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Triarii posted:

Wild how they took a concept that sounds as cool as "fire tornadoes" and made it about standing around waiting for 5 minutes.

Heaven forbid you try to actually maneuver around them, because half of the fire they leave behind is invisible.

https://i.imgur.com/ztFsu0F.mp4

I'd be happy if the only thing they changed was how long the ground stayed burning. Dodging fire tornados is whatever, but making large stretches of ground (often including the objective) inaccessible for several minutes seems excessive.

e: I take that back, fire should probably not nearly insta kill you either.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Janissary Hop posted:

"Now what are the odds of that?" I chuckle to myself as I resolve to never play on this lovely planet again.

Bot hellmire sucks

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
been calling it "Smellmire" myself.........

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

been calling it "Smellmire" myself.........

Your helmet's air filtration isn't working. You shouldn't be able to smell it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Eruptor tech paying off tho

https://i.imgur.com/LfdJpxp.mp4

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

luckily i was only chilling out on a hard map but god drat these crashes are incredibly frustrating.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

also yeah i thought it only took a few shots for the AC to knock it down so when they didn't go down i thought there were two types. i ended up telling people to stop shooting cause they can't knock them down without hellbombing them. lmao. i'm dumb :(

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can destroy a spore spewer from miles away with basically anything, including most primaries. Shrieker nests look notably different and also have a different response when pinged (you should be pinging basically everything, if only for the range indicator)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jack B Nimble posted:

My UI has a little crossed out Mic by the names, I thought that meant they had voice disabled?

On the menu screen or during gameplay? I can mute them myself and see that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Got my first three super samples tonight, on a perfect D7 clear no less. Came back and not only was it the last mission in an op, Menkent was now fully liberated too.

I know I probably just got insanely lucky, but man what a great way to cap off the night.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Extracted from Menket after losing 3 super samples to fire tornadoes at extraction.

"You know what? The bots can have this planet."

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Did it look anything like this?

But maybe with more meat on it?

Are you sure it does? It's not on the list of strategems affected. It only lists Eagle Airstrike, Smoke Bombs, Cluster Bombs and Napalm Airstrike...

ah ok looks like it was just placebo, my bad

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
One thing I did like about Menkent is the giant rock walls everywhere made it a lot harder for giant masses of Bot patrols to blob together and annihilate you out of nowhere. At least I think that might have been what was going on, given what's known about how spawning works; it seemed like they weren't pathing into us as often.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The short sightlines certainly make it easier to avoid them if you pay attention to the radar.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sindai posted:

The short sightlines certainly make it easier to avoid them if you pay attention to the radar.

Counterpoint: It also makes it easy for them to block you off and/or surprise you when doing a fighting retreat from another group. Nothing like diving backwards only to look up and have a hulk come around the corner and fry your rear end on the ground

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I do like the eruptor but I don’t like how it fucks up my master of all trades general loadout without sacrificing something. If I take it and anti tank, I lose out on my ability to deal with with small swarms. If I take something like a stalwart I lose out on AT, I can sacrifice an eagle slot for EATs but the main strength of eats is that you call them on cooldown and always have one ready.

I suspect this things strengths lie in a good team that gels well.

I got pretty good with it and definitely dominated in kills for the goon team I was on but I definitely felt being at the whim of my teammates when dealing with chargers and I’m so used to being “that guy” that it made me feel very “naked”.

Makes a great dedicated spewer killer though as I was clearing them as fast as I could reload and often the bugs near them as well.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Rhymenoserous posted:

I do like the eruptor but I don’t like how it fucks up my master of all trades general loadout without sacrificing something. If I take it and anti tank, I lose out on my ability to deal with with small swarms. If I take something like a stalwart I lose out on AT, I can sacrifice an eagle slot for EATs but the main strength of eats is that you call them on cooldown and always have one ready.

I got pretty good with it and definitely dominated in kills for the goon team I was on but I definitely felt being at the whim of my teammates when dealing with chargers and I’m so used to being “that guy” that it made me feel very “naked”.

Makes a great dedicated spewer killer though as I was clearing them as fast as I could reload and often the bugs near them as well.

Take the quasar and laser dog. There you go, everything is covered.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Rhymenoserous posted:

eruptor + laser guard dog + quasar or eat. Redeemer as emergency button for hunters.

It makes for an excellent stick and move style game plan. Kite until you have a clear shot/space (needing more for your heavies of course) then smash the big target/group, move again while buddy bot clears up stragglers

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You guys know you can kill a tank with two impact grenade throws to the top

tanks are lil babies. I haven’t been scared of them since I got impacts.

Hulks can still be spooky though due to their one hit fire

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CelticPredator posted:

You guys know you can kill a tank with two impact grenade throws to the top

not instantly and not reliably

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'd take a scorcher hulk over any other kind of hulk. You can just run away if you don't have the space or ammo loaded to kill him. Scorcher hulks are just super berserkers, the other variants are super heavy devs & super rocket devs.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Has anyone else figured out you can squeeze an extra 10 meters out of your stratagem ball throw easily by using a Jump Pack and throwing at the top of your arc?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

For bugs, get the new fire upgrade and take the flamethrower along with the laser rover. Chargers will die super quick to it. Eruptor to pick stuff off at distance then hose what's left down with the flamethrower if it gets close. For BTs I always rely on 500kg, and the napalm with the fire upgrade annihilates everything so I've been taking that. Napalm even seemed to do decent damage to a BT and your Eruptor can finish a weakened one off (see my earlier post). Redeemer is also good in case something gets close and you need it dead now without lighting yourself on fire.

For bots, laser cannon + stun grenades fills in all the gaps for the Eruptor.

Also, I really like the heavy medic armor that's on sale now in the superstore for bots. I've used light armor almost exclusively, but that has let me survive some crazy poo poo that would have destroyed me in light armor. It's worth grabbing if you have the super credits and want to try out being a mini tank.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I finally tried the eruptor against the bugs and you really really do want that laser dog drone to go with it. Ran one mission with eruptor, redeemer, impacts, orbital rail and airburst, an AC turret, and RR and I emptied my redeemer almost instantly. You always have to keep distance with bugs but the eruptor has so much aoe splash that it was hard to keep enough distance, and it fires so slow that if you have a bunch of spread out tiny bugs or hunters hoping around then it felt like it did a poor job of clearing them all effectively. Ran another with the laser rover instead of the RR and gatling turret and that was pretty good but orbital railgun as your only anti heavy is a little lacking, but I was overcorrecting from the previous run. Final run I switched back to the AC turret and that setup felt pretty decent.

Then I swapped over to the adjudicator with the grenade pistol, impacts, RR, orbital rail and airburst, and gatling turret and that felt extremely adequate. RR and orbital railgun are just enough for every charger and bt, could easily bring the Quasar or EATs, and the grenade pistol and impacts are enough for bug holes and spewers. Airburst and gatling turret clean up all the chaff when moving around, running away, or during a breach, all without even having to look at the action. The adjudicator gets a little ammo starved a little too quickly but you've got resupplies and plenty of ammo boxes around any map.

Btw, I don't think I've seen it mentioned here so I don't know if this is a wide spread thing or not, but the grenade pistol has a really beneficial bug right now. The first time I shoot it in every mission it doesn't consume ammo. Only the first time. So I'm getting two shots before reloading the first time I need to whip it out. Which is great because sometimes it doesn't kill spewers in a single shot, at least the more armored green ones. Maybe this is a host thing? I've basically only been hosting games recently.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Breaker Incendiary is my go-to for bugs these days.
Flambé the poo poo out of em

I just wish the Thermite Grenade worked as advertised on Chargers, cause I find it less than worthless half the time.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Been slowly grinding up levels to where I'm now playing 7s and it doesn't seem too hectic. One of the bonuses is you no longer get a bunch of single digit level players. I do kinda wish anyone <20 is restricted from 6/7s.

I've been playing more of a support role. I'll hang back away from the current target and call out heavies or patrols and also bring down the AC turret / gatling turret. basically put myself in a enfilade position to fire against their flank and so the bugs can't concentrate all into one area. i'm also far enough away where heavies can't really deal with me since i'm just far enough away to kill them if they try to charge me. Since I've been doing 7s this hasn't been as easy since there sometimes will be multiple heavies.

i generally do something like AC support weapon, AC turret, Orbital Laser. Depending on others' loadout and the level I'll either bring in a eagle 500KG, gatling turret, or eagle airstrike. I've mostly been bringing both AC and gatling turret on 6s, so that I can deal with both heavies and swarms but it occasionally doesn't work out since gatlings will target heavies. much better with the green/yellow spewers. I'll replace the gatling with a eagle 500kg on 7s

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Infinitum posted:

Breaker Incendiary is my go-to for bugs these days.
Flambé the poo poo out of em

I just wish the Thermite Grenade worked as advertised on Chargers, cause I find it less than worthless half the time.

its a pretty sparkler

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
spending approx 50% of my time orbiting bot planets just searching for mission sets that have blitz, one of the most fun mission types, instead of elimination, the single most boring mission type, which both share the same icon for some reason

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 14, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Lol same. Blitz is great, I wish there were more missions that had you speed through an objective, I like command bunker ones because they can easily be treated in a similar way.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Trying to find more reasons to use the ballistic shield only to discover that it gets put away after using a stim, and you need to switch weapons before it will come out again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x56_isjMqJw&t=34s

Since people are comparing Hell Divers 2 movement to MGSV, it should be able to do the cardboard box slide downhill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzdskhR_dnw

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FunkyFjord posted:

Btw, I don't think I've seen it mentioned here so I don't know if this is a wide spread thing or not, but the grenade pistol has a really beneficial bug right now. The first time I shoot it in every mission it doesn't consume ammo. Only the first time. So I'm getting two shots before reloading the first time I need to whip it out. Which is great because sometimes it doesn't kill spewers in a single shot, at least the more armored green ones. Maybe this is a host thing? I've basically only been hosting games recently.
It's every time you spawn in, and it's because every weapon when you spawn has a chambered +1 round, even those that can't normally have it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

After doing a sneaky crawl through several helldive patrols to grab someones lost samples while extraction was being called in (+2 commons, totally worth it :v:), I can say with confidence that the stealth armour is completely unnecessary. Belly crawling in non-stealth armour has a tiny detection radius and even if something does get in detection range it takes them a while to realize so as long as you back off you can just leave.

Further justification to never take off my light +throwing armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Has anyone been getting really variable performance on PC recently? Its a poorly optimised game but it feels like FPS spikes have got far worse.