Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I did something similar this playthrough. When the community board extra quests things showed up, I got the quest from the wizard for prism-slime. Made a few attempts, was pretty busy with other stuff, never got it, fine whatever. A few weeks later I'm going past the board, drat its just that quest from the wizard again. Fine. So I spent like 4 days in a row regenning floor 5 over and over to try a prism slime. I counted 300 overall slimes, nothing. Finally, on the last time I bring up the quest log. Oh, I had the other quest from the wizard for ecoplasm the whole time. I killed a few ghosts until it got too late, went to bed and took a few days off from the game.

Edit: A snipe as shameful of Clint's browsing history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh I should add I cheat like a motherfucker because I hate the fishing minigame.

Yeah I have zero qualms about modding that out, it's a huge pain in the rear end and not very fun.

Also, I found if you use challenge bait you can catch 3x of each of the legendary fish kids for Qi's quest, which sell for some stupidly high amounts if you smoke iridium-quality ones. Like several hundred thousand gold all together.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah I have zero qualms about modding that out, it's a huge pain in the rear end and not very fun.

Also, I found if you use challenge bait you can catch 3x of each of the legendary fish kids for Qi's quest, which sell for some stupidly high amounts if you smoke iridium-quality ones. Like several hundred thousand gold all together.

Not only that, but if you hold off on catching the rest of the fish, you can just keep catching Legend IIs.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have also been cheating like a motherfucker on the fishing game this run. I've done like 3 farms where I engaged with the fishing game. I'm sick of it. I have insta-hook and insta-catch.

Lazy fishing!

I hit lv 10 fishing before the end of spring...

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't even have the fish smoker recipe yet. poo poo's expensive!

But yeah I went down to the beach on the next rainy day and caught a Red Snapper instantly so that particular nightmare is over!

Rainy days are the easiest for me to go mining because I don't have to spend a bunch of energy watering crops. I just check on my animals and go spelunking.

I'm in the last week of summer and I'm down to 110 in the mines. Nearly there!

I have a big coop and big barn, and Robin is working on my house upgrade for a kitchen. I'd say I'm doing well!

gotta spend money to make money, yo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Silver Falcon posted:

I have also been cheating like a motherfucker on the fishing game this run. I've done like 3 farms where I engaged with the fishing game. I'm sick of it. I have insta-hook and insta-catch.

Lazy fishing!

I hit lv 10 fishing before the end of spring...

We're looking for a simple easy-hook mod to go with Easy Fishing Suite. What are you using?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just use the auto-hook option in CJB Cheats Menu, whence I also get my continuous +3 speed

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zesty posted:

We're looking for a simple easy-hook mod to go with Easy Fishing Suite. What are you using?

What Eric said. I use the fish cheaty options in the CBJ Cheats mod. You can enable or disable options as you like. One option I didn't mention is infinite durability on lures.

It's a handy mod in general. I recommend it!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think if I played this game more than one run every 2 years, I'd use a fishing cheat mod. I like the fishing minigame and end up maxing fishing by the end of Summer Year 1, but I'd definitely get tired of it.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I did something similar this playthrough. When the community board extra quests things showed up, I got the quest from the wizard for prism-slime. Made a few attempts, was pretty busy with other stuff, never got it, fine whatever. A few weeks later I'm going past the board, drat its just that quest from the wizard again. Fine. So I spent like 4 days in a row regenning floor 5 over and over to try a prism slime. I counted 300 overall slimes, nothing. Finally, on the last time I bring up the quest log. Oh, I had the other quest from the wizard for ecoplasm the whole time. I killed a few ghosts until it got too late, went to bed and took a few days off from the game.

Edit: A snipe as shameful of Clint's browsing history.

The prismatic slime was the first monster I saw when I walked into the mines for that quest.

Unrelated: finally got my Ancient Seed halfway through summer year 2.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I saw an old post on reddit where some guy got a perfect catch of every fish in the game. Said it took him 5 years of game time. Then he got mad that CA was adding the quality bobber because it “devalued his achievement” lmao

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I got an Ancient Seed a bit ago too. But I'm in Summer Y1.

And fine yes I bought the Fish Smoker recipe. Now I can smoke fish. I put it next to my furnace. They both use coal. It fits.

I should work on unlocking the desert next. I'm almost to the bottom of the mines.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
See that's what I mean by how individual the friction is and why I'm so happy with how Stardew mods work. I really like the fishing game, and don't find it all that hard.

I am at 115 in the mines! That's p good for me in year one.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Zesty posted:

Yet Another Fishing Mod will let you fine tune every aspect of the minigame, hooking, etc, or just skip it entirely - and if you skip it you can have it simulate "normal" performance or perfect every time, etc etc. i find it to be a little better then just using the CJB cheats menu (which I removed from my game because I was freezing time too much)

It also works great with the Fishing Made Easy Suite

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just use the auto-hook option in CJB Cheats Menu, whence I also get my continuous +3 speed

CJB Cheats Menu doesn't auto-hook.

Instant Catch goes into minigame and immediately succeeds at it.
Instant Bite removes all wait time after casting before minigame is ready to start.

I'm trying to skip the click after you catch something that happens to start the minigame, which you can fail to start the minigame if you take too long.

I'm using Fishing Made Easy Suite, and it also doesn't have auto-hook options.

Mad Wack posted:

Yet Another Fishing Mod will let you fine tune every aspect of the minigame, hooking, etc, or just skip it entirely - and if you skip it you can have it simulate "normal" performance or perfect every time, etc etc. i find it to be a little better then just using the CJB cheats menu (which I removed from my game because I was freezing time too much)

It also works great with the Fishing Made Easy Suite

Yep. This one specifically has the option. Fantastic.

I'm using SVE and East Scarp, and I only need Fishing Made Easy to change difficulty of fishing per player. I wonder if I can get rid of Fishing Made Easy Suite and exclusively use this mod? Unclear how it affects modded fish and it doesn't seem to have extra compatibility mods like the Suite does.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
auto-hook is one of the possible fishing rod enchantments as well, for a non-mod method of getting it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zamujasa posted:

auto-hook is one of the possible fishing rod enchantments as well, for a non-mod method of getting it

My wife has MS. We'll take it a little sooner than endgame.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You could use CJB cheats to warp directly to the forge, and the console to give yourself a stack of prismatic and cinder shards, and enchant your fishing rod repeatedly until you get auto-hook. That sounds complex but the whole thing will take like 1 minute.

The hard part is resisting the temptation to enchant all your tools while you're at it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think for Stardew 2 they should make it so higher levels of fishing allows auto catch on the trash fish. I have no problem fighting a Super Cucumber or an Octopus but sitting there waiting for a bar to fill for a sardine sucks.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

A fun quirk of Fishing Made Easy is the option to enable catching prismatic shards while fishing, with the game treating it like catching a legendary fish.

Combined with the new book power that gives you a chance of acquiring roe when fishing up a treasure chest you now have the possibility of catching prismatic shard eggs.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Rynyin posted:

A fun quirk of Fishing Made Easy is the option to enable catching prismatic shards while fishing, with the game treating it like catching a legendary fish.

Combined with the new book power that gives you a chance of acquiring roe when fishing up a treasure chest you now have the possibility of catching prismatic shard eggs.

It'd be funny if putting prismatic shard eggs into preserves jars gave you magic rock candy instead of prismatic caviar.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I use a mod that makes the fish smoker use 5 wood instead of 1 coal.

The name is "No Coal For Machines" but you can adjust the settings individually, so my furnaces still use coal but the smoker uses wood.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Eric the Mauve posted:

You could use CJB cheats to warp directly to the forge, and the console to give yourself a stack of prismatic and cinder shards, and enchant your fishing rod repeatedly until you get auto-hook. That sounds complex but the whole thing will take like 1 minute.

The hard part is resisting the temptation to enchant all your tools while you're at it.

It's probably simpler to directly edit the save file at that point

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn

Zesty posted:

Is there a list somewhere of these changes to the town? and gifts for that matter.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Off the top of my head, Alex installs a TV for the guys in the Saloon, Abigail erects a grave in the Backwoods, Leah paints a painting that Marnie puts up in her room (and also you get a painting you can hang up), Penny will redecorate your bedroom with several pieces of unique furniture, Sebastian adopts a frog that lives in his room, and Emily gives you a unique outfit. I think the others are just events.
All of the above, plus Sam gives you a boombox. You can also buy a portrait of every spouse from the traveling cart, if you feel like collecting them all.

Man, I used the a chicken to give myself an ancient seed, and I've gotten like 6 legitimately from fishing chests and monster drops lol ahhhh

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I get that everyone has their own play styles and maybe the fish smoker just isn't for me, but it seems so well received that I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Most fish aren't worth much at all and doubling not much is still not much, and I rarely have piles and piles of extra coal. Early game it goes into jars and apiaries bee houses and smelting bars, late game it goes into explosive ammo. Fish tend to either have a specific use and are a pain to get more than is necessary, or its just cheap and goes into the sashimi grinder.

On the other hand I love the dehydrator. A use for mushrooms, and a way to combine 5 fruits into a single gift.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

I get that everyone has their own play styles and maybe the fish smoker just isn't for me, but it seems so well received that I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Most fish aren't worth much at all and doubling not much is still not much, and I rarely have piles and piles of extra coal. Early game it goes into jars and apiaries bee houses and smelting bars, late game it goes into explosive ammo. Fish tend to either have a specific use and are a pain to get more than is necessary, or its just cheap and goes into the sashimi grinder.

On the other hand I love the dehydrator. A use for mushrooms, and a way to combine 5 fruits into a single gift.

The secret is that the Angler and Artisan professions both apply to smoked fish on top of the fish keeping their quality.

An iridium quality smoked fish with both the Angler and Artisan professions sells for 5.3 the original fish sell price (without Angler).

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Fish smoker is useful only when you have a nice excess of wood and coal which are relatively tough bars to keep consistently full given that you basically always need wood and usually want coal for making metal bars and preserves jars. Otherwise I’d just bin the fish and be done with it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Worth having one for the legendary fish if nothing else

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This is the first run where I actually feel like I have enough wood, stone and coal. Part of that is not building a barn (and I had considered not building a coop), getting the double wood perk, and the new(?) coal nodes in the Quarry.

The fish smoker is like every other artisanal tool: it's only as good as the base item you put in. I'm not throwing every carp, herring and sardine I catch into the thing. (Those fish become Sashimi instead.) Instead, I use the bait machine to ensure I catch specific expensive fish. Catfish, Sturgeon and Pufferfish are all very worth smoking.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

Worth having one for the legendary fish if nothing else

Now I feel weird because I can never bear to sell the legendary fish; I end up keeping them forever. (And sometimes using them in a grange display, because Pierre must suffer.)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I put the legendary fish in the community center fish tank.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Trilobite posted:

Now I feel weird because I can never bear to sell the legendary fish; I end up keeping them forever. (And sometimes using them in a grange display, because Pierre must suffer.)

Well if it helps, Qi's catch the alternative legendary fish quest is repeatable, and they're worth just as much

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I have more money than sense wood. I keep forgetting I can just buy wood from Robin. I should really do that. I need so much goddamn wood so I can spend all this goddamn money I got from fishing! :argh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I traditionally empty most of my pockets for numerous stacks of wood and a big pile of coal at the end of year 1, before the Great Inflation.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Re: coal, if you aren’t into jade farming in crystalariums, the second best way to do the dungeon is using bombs. To make bombs, you need iron ore and coal. You get both of those in prodigious amounts by just repeating the mines levels 40-60 over and over. Honestly, I just go to level 55 or whatever and if there isn’t a horde of dust sprites or a couple iron ore rocks to smack, I just take the elevator back up and pick another floor.

I think I’ve taken home a couple hundred iron ore and like 50-100 coal this way in a single day.

Also, if you need wood, don’t sleep on tree fertilizer. When I started getting enough mahogany seeds, I planted a hardwood forest. With fertilizer, it takes like 5 days for your trees to fully grow, even in the winter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can also just straight up buy bombs (400) or mega bombs (1000) from the Dwarf, though the price got jacked up in 1.6.

Since negative Luck = more mobs but luck does not affect mob drops, grinding dust sprites by elevator hopping between 0->45->55->0 is a good use of a pessimal luck day, both for the coal and to get the Burglar's Ring ASAP.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 14, 2024

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Started up a solo 1.6 farm because I got bored of waiting on my group to assemble for games. I miss having sprinklers...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cambria Bold posted:

I miss having sprinklers...

The reason why I always beeline the mines as hard and fast as possible. I want my fields fully sprinklered by 1 Summer.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I barely touch sprinklers before iridium. I dunno, I like the routine of watering. But I also keep my farm fields really quite small, part of why I don't make money as swiftly as some people. It's only ever a little hobby farm. I love seeing the big optimised industrial farms other people make!

I think I want to have a nice formal garden with flowers and benches and streetlamps. Maybe a petting zoo, like I'll route a path through the fenced area where my animals live and put some benches and whatnot there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

I barely touch sprinklers before iridium. I dunno, I like the routine of watering. But I also keep my farm fields really quite small, part of why I don't make money as swiftly as some people. It's only ever a little hobby farm. I love seeing the big optimised industrial farms other people make!

I think I want to have a nice formal garden with flowers and benches and streetlamps. Maybe a petting zoo, like I'll route a path through the fenced area where my animals live and put some benches and whatnot there too.

I love seeing this kind of farms, but I can't plan enough for them.

I'm that guy. That guy who bodges a solution and then it's forever. Who keeps gaffer-taping a USB hub to his desktop, or only likes the first few hours of Satisfactory. My farm will always look like a mess. Haha.

I should try and screenshot it actually, like Winter Y2 and I'm using about 1/3 of the farm?