Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ELTON JOHN posted:

was the cia behind the people who got shot at for attending her funeral

Very few people are saying that Iran is objectively good. No country is objectively good (I'd even argue that nation-states are deeply evil entities by default). What people ARE saying is that the authoritarian aspects of Iran don't change the fact that Iran is currently the only point of resistance right now to western ambitions (and yes, we are ~by far~ the greater evil here). This means that their existence is a net-good for the region, even if Iran is deeply flawed. This becomes even more true in light of Israels recent overtly genocidal escalations.

It's not that I would feel all too badly if the Ayatollah fell over and died today. However any replacement for him right now would be far worse (some deeply corrupt US puppet that robs the country blind) and the fallout would make life far, far worse for millions of people in the region.

Also, as a side note. Do you think that one of the US's enemies (let's say, Russia) would be justified in secretly arming fascist groups like patriot front and the KKK to violently overthrow the government and install a dictator (let's say, Trump) so that we'd be more willing to sell them stuff for cheap? Do we not do similar crackdowns on protests (the BLM protests come to mind)? Do we not also require regime change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
No one said the mercs had to be good or effective. Just nominal.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

readingatwork posted:

Also, as a side note. Do you think that one of the US's enemies (let's say, Russia) would be justified in secretly arming fascist groups like patriot front and the KKK to violently overthrow the government and install a dictator (let's say, Trump) so that we'd be more willing to sell them stuff for cheap? Do we not do similar crackdowns on protests (the BLM protests come to mind)? Do we not also require regime change?

I don't think there's any shortage of people willing to criticise the US itt

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lol at the news video interviewing Israelis what they think about the Iranians attack and every single one of them has a Brooklyn/British accent

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cassian of Imola posted:

I don't think there's any shortage of people willing to criticise the US itt

The person I was responding to has DnD brain and probably believes we are a net good in the world.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the only issue with the tweet is saying Israel "stopped" the attack when in reality it really didn't seem like it. The Iranians could have done more damage, but I doubt it was literally nothing either.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

readingatwork posted:

The person I was responding to has DnD brain and probably believes we are a net good in the world.

you are extremely wrong about that

and yes iran is a net good in the region because it is one of the few countries that isnt a US lapdog

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's like that other conflict, you know the one, where 150% of the missiles would be 'intercepted' but also everyone was real angry and also 70% of the country had no power

at some point western propaganda went from spin to just full blown audacious lies

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Anyway you don't have to love Iran's government to take delight in Israel getting its face bloodied by another foreign power for once

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

ELTON JOHN posted:

ok well i dont support iran killing a few hundred protestors who were protesting because the cops murdered a girl

I don’t support you posting in this thread

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ELTON JOHN posted:

you are extremely wrong about that

Sincere apologies if that's the case. I shouldn't throw around accusations like that haphazardly.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Iran is objectively good

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Keep in mind- Iran used 30 year old technology.

They didn't even launch hypersonics. They barely used any of their latest capabilities. Yet this is how they humiliated Israel and targeted their defenses:

https://x.com/lowkey0nline/status/1779501351438876785?s=46

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

Iran is objectively good

They're not perfect but yeah they're good. And if you compare them to the US they're downright saintly

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I am disappointed that the drones didn't drop leaflets full of strongly worded letters. Instead, they used barbaric "weapons". Shame!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

It’s time for the thread to fill out the Iran apology form

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Would it have been advisable for Iran to do this without the elaborate telegraphing, or would it be so dangerous it wouldn't be worth it?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ram dass in hell posted:

Iran is objectively good

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

do they not know they bombed an embassy last week

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

HallelujahLee posted:

It’s time for the thread to fill out the Iran apology form

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, if anyone had doubts Russia might not use their veto in at the next UN meeting, this shall reassure you.

https://x.com/qudsnen/status/1779530794970595456?s=46

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys,

I want to make a public commitment, if any mods or IK's see me make stupid edgy wishing for death or skin peeling or celebrating death posts of any ever again, please perma-ban me. this is an actual full scale no poo poo :toxx: I am committing to. there's no reason to make an online comedy forum a wierd venting negative energy platform. we live in a bad enough world as is, so I have to try and make it more positive.

also thanks to whoever gave me platinum.

Odysseus asked to be restrained if he succumbed to the Siren's song, not killed.

You should do the same.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

CheetoVonTito posted:

Keep in mind- Iran used 30 year old technology.

They didn't even launch hypersonics. They barely used any of their latest capabilities. Yet this is how they humiliated Israel and targeted their defenses:

https://x.com/lowkey0nline/status/1779501351438876785?s=46

the paradigm of large scale warfare has just changed from combined arms to mass drone swarms and americas weapons procurement process is far too expensive to keep up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Orbs posted:

Lots of people would, which is exactly how empires like the British one continue existing despite, as you say, killing way more people than the Nazis did. It's also why millions more Russians died in WW2 than needed to to stop the Nazis- because the British Empire and its supporters viewed communism as an even bigger threat than fascism. They sat on their asses "planning" D-Day for years while Russia and the rest of the countries under fascist occupation burned, and the modern British people think they're heroes for it.

edit- I guess this is a tangent though. I'm just saying gently caress Britain and its allies in WW2. But in modern times, support Iran. They have no worse problems than other countries on women's rights frankly, and spreading western propaganda and supporting western bombing campaigns isn't going to fix those problems.

but.... we were allies of britain in ww2? are we the bad guys?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

fart simpson posted:

but.... we were allies of britain in ww2? are we the bad guys?

we personally, in this conversation

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

maxwellhill posted:

we personally, in this conversation
Yeah, this. I withdraw my rant, mb

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Would it have been advisable for Iran to do this without the elaborate telegraphing, or would it be so dangerous it wouldn't be worth it?

I think it would have been more dangerous to do it without first making it clear they were retaliating and had no interest in escalating beyond that. Also, I think it makes their attack look stronger in that Israel and the US had all this forewarning and Iran still hit some of their targets.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
trying really hard to imagine the potential downside of launching a volley of ballistic missiles at a US ally without warning

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
yeah the big bad us military will delete you off the map like they did to Yemen. no one should strike back against America or its allies we’re too ~crazy~ and will definitely nuke the entire earth - an American “leftist”

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Iran is objectively good

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

the telegraphing was important, I think, both so that Iran could clearly establish their reasoning and build their case to the world, and also because it makes the Israelis look even worse when a bunch of the missiles make it through anyway

obviously the US are going to pretend it was a completely unprovoked surprise attack against a nation just peacefully minding its own business, but to most of the world, it is very obvious that Iran exercised a great deal of restraint, clearly and repeatedly communicated their position and why they felt like they had to resort to this step, and then responded proportionately, in a way it would have been harder to argue if they had launched without any kind of official statement or warning

if Iran wanted to start a war it would have been better to do it that way, to maximize damage, but they clearly don't

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
great food great people great culture great drones

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://x.com/HossamShabat/status/1779526925980995661

quote:

For the first time since the aggression on Gaza began, a bakery in northern Gaza was allowed to reopen for business. Today, I visited the bakery and witnessed the immense relief felt by the community as they held fresh bread for the first time in months.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

nice!!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Godlessdonut posted:

I think it would have been more dangerous to do it without first making it clear they were retaliating and had no interest in escalating beyond that. Also, I think it makes their attack look stronger in that Israel and the US had all this forewarning and Iran still hit some of their targets.

Yeah like in the same day Iran showed it could stop specific ships from crossing the straight and capture them pretty easily if they want to and also directly hit Israel without a lot of difficulty (it looks like they didn't even use any of their modern stuff for this attack?) too.

Meanwhile on the other side the Iron Dome is supposedly this amazing thing but multiple entire other countries had to scramble to intercept a lot of the attack before it even reached Israeli airspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mister Bates posted:

the telegraphing was important, I think, both so that Iran could clearly establish their reasoning and build their case to the world, and also because it makes the Israelis look even worse when a bunch of the missiles make it through anyway

obviously the US are going to pretend it was a completely unprovoked surprise attack against a nation just peacefully minding its own business, but to most of the world, it is very obvious that Iran exercised a great deal of restraint, clearly and repeatedly communicated their position and why they felt like they had to resort to this step, and then responded proportionately, in a way it would have been harder to argue if they had launched without any kind of official statement or warning

the UN are a useless clump of poo poo hanging off of America’s fetid rear end in a top hat, but nonetheless I thought it was great that Iran went directly at them and said “all you had to loving do was condemn the attack, which was a black-letter violation of your own laws, and which we know would have no actual practical consequences for Israel, but no…”

Iran definitely looking like they are calm and in control, ready for whatever they need to do to achieve their (just, humanitarian) aims. Israel should be so lucky as to be annexed by them