Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

grumplestiltzkin posted:

uuuuuh mods are we just gonna allow all this bloodlust??????!?

admins are we going to just let this pilgarlic display slide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Jeffery, what does pilgarlic mean?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hmm, I'll log that word for future use, possibly even correctly

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I am disgusted by this baldheaded manness.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Manscaped and scapegraced

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think its the opposite of them bad breath pills you could get a couple years ago.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Vietnam veteran" sounds heroic until you learn the English bastards who went there to rape and murder call themselves that.

I don't understand this, could you elaborate?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

He was garlicpilled. You hate to see it

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1779426768845185334

quote:

Commander-in-Chief Syrskyi says Russia set a goal of capturing Chasiv Yar by 9 May ("Victory Day" in Russia), in line with the future targets of reaching Kramatorks agglomeration (where Ukrainian Eastern HQ is located).

Full message:

"I worked in another, very important and dangerous direction.

The enemy is also concentrating efforts to break through our defenses west of Bakhmut, to reach the Siverskyi Donets - Donbas canal, capture the settlement of Chasiv Yar, and create conditions for further advance to the Kramatorsk agglomeration.

The implementation of the enemy’s plans is hindered by the heroic defense of our brigades, which literally dug into the ground, holding back the enemy’s daily attacks. Using numerical superiority and various motivational factors, including shootings [of their own], separate groups of enemy infantry reached the "Noviy" district, but were destroyed by FPV-kamikaze strikes and artillery fire.

At the same time, the threat remains relevant, taking into account the fact that the higher Russian military leadership has set the task for its troops to capture Chasiv Yar by May 9.

In order to respond adequately to the actions of the enemy and strengthen the defense of our troops in this direction, measures were taken to significantly strengthen the brigades with ammunition, drones, and EW devices.

The main conclusion from the two-day work at the front is the need to improve the quality of training, including the moral and psychological component, to increase the number of high-tech unmanned systems of various purposes with trained operators, to improve the quality of conducting asymmetric operations in order to reduce the combat potential of the enemy.

We continue to carry out organisational activities with an emphasis on increasing the efficiency of management, eliminating duplication, directing freed resources to support combat units and units.

The main task of these measures is to increase the fighting capacity of our troops, save the lives of our soldiers, disrupt the enemy’s plans, and ensure the preparation of reserves.

The fight continues!
Glory to Ukraine!"

t.me/osirskiy/652

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What does this have to do with garlic??

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Garlic DEEZ NUTS lamo gottem

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

What does this have to do with garlic??

Either bald people look like a peeled ("pilled") clove of garlic, or else garlic peelers do the hard smelly work that others enjoy.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ukraine arent winning this.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1779475050778833239

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

BART IM PISS posted:

Sir I've been following the data and so far no one seems to be winning this. The projections are not looking good either, for any of the sides. They are all losing. How can this be

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Can we assemble a crack team of sysadmins with.. foam to argue with putin?

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

BART IM PISS posted:

It is true Ukraine was the loser in Vietnam.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1779508129094345054

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cigarette carelessly thrown into a pile of oily rags is my bet.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looks gay to me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Karate Bastard posted:

Sir I've been following the data and so far no one seems to be winning this. The projections are not looking good either, for any of the sides. They are all losing. How can this be

Isn’t Russia winning? They’re taking territory, at least.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Gripweed posted:

Isn’t Russia winning? They’re taking territory, at least.

Russia are holding ground, and have made insane profits off gas and such, their GDP is fine, i think they are spending like 8% on Ukraine

The US wants a fast food war, in and out, and this didnt happen.

Russia has always been long term. Long war, and defensive.

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 14, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BART IM PISS posted:

Russia are holding ground, and have made insane profits off gas and such, their GDP is fine, i think they are spending like 8% on Ukraine

oh?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

BART IM PISS posted:

The US wants a fast food war, in and out, and this didnt happen.

Russia has always been long term. Long war, and defensive.

3 day SMO, the long war.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
reality will show itself

or has

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

BART IM PISS posted:

reality will show itself

or has
fart

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Winkle-Daddy posted:

3 day SMO, the long war.

Yeah Russia certainly wasn’t thinking long term, they thought they could just roll on in and Ukraine’s TV show president would do whatever they said. When that didn’t work there was a window of time where it really seemed like Ukraine could beat Russia. As that became less likely it still looked like Ukraine could be a bloody quagmire for Russia, draining them of resources, people, and popular legitimacy like Afghanistan did the Soviet Union. But Russia got their poo poo together and pivoted to a long war. Now it seems like military Keynesianism has strengthened the Russian economy, and the Russian military has gotten a lot of experience fighting modern western equipment and tactics.

The war will have to end at some point, but Russia seems well positioned to just grind it out for the next year or so.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbirding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghaiing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_into_slavery_in_the_United_States

quote:

The new legislation revamps the mobilization system, which has been in place since Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022, and its required military registration which predates that.

The bill, which received more than 4,000 amendments, was passed on April 11. It needs to be signed into law by Zelenskyy and will go into effect a month after that.

Some of the big changes make rules clearer to streamline existing military registration and mobilization processes, make fewer people exempt from military service, and tighten enforcement to prevent draft dodging, experts tell TIME.

The BBC reported, based on illegal border crossing data from the country’s neighbors, that nearly 20,000 men left the country to avoid being drafted from February 2022 to November 2023, with Kyiv confirming to the BBC that another 21,000 were caught escaping.

New provisions to crack down include allowing territorial recruitment centers to go to court and restrict a conscript’s right to drive a vehicle if he doesn’t respond to mobilization, with exceptions for those who need to drive for work or to take care of dependents. It also requires men to carry their military registration and show it when requested at the border and when getting a new passport.

The legislation could also expand recruitment among people previously considered physically unfit for service, as it requires those under certain disability categories to undergo a second medical examination. This is to crack down on fake medical exemptions, Lutsevych says.

However, some critics question whether this will be enough to improve the mobilization system.

“The law that was passed does introduce more transparency and tries to make sure it’s harder for people to evade both the registration with the Territorial Recruitment Centers and the military service, but it is viewed by many as not being strict enough,” Julia Kazdobina, head of the Ukrainian Foundation for Security Studies, tells TIME in an email. “So, there is no confidence that it will fix the existing problem.”

quote:

The main contention with the legislation was a last-minute decision to remove a measure to allow troops to demobilize after 36 months.

This was done by request from Ukraine’s Defense Minister and Commander in Chief, who wrote in a letter that they needed more time to work it out, Kazdobina says. Because of inefficient mobilization that could lead to imperfect implementation, “they don’t want to risk promising the current servicemen that they will be demobilized in a set time without being sure they will have people to replace them,” she adds.

Ukrainian Parliament member Oleksii Honcharenko said on Telegram that he didn’t vote for the law because it was important to include demobilization. “I will continue to fight! It is necessary to establish clear terms of service!” he wrote, according to a Google translation of his post.

The law was contentious for a few reasons, Marnie Howlett, a lecturer in politics at the University of Oxford, tells TIME. One is because of the need to balance supporting Ukraine’s economy with sustaining the military’s ranks, while another is the emphasis that has been placed on protecting a younger generation from war.

And, after years of relentless fighting, “people are exhausted,” Howlett says. Demobilization would have offered hope to her friends and others on the frontlines, some without previous military experience and psychological safeguards, she adds.

Kazdobina says the lack of an end date for service demotivates new recruits: “Many men say they don’t want to serve because this is like buying a one-way ticket.”

https://time.com/6965892/ukraine-military-mobilization-conscription-law/

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 14, 2024

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:dafuq:

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Do we have a live one?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes. Russia is in a position to grind this out. But there's a few things they have ongoing that may cause elongated issues to this whole project.

They haven't fought the citizenry hand to hand in Ukraine. Ala Resistance movements or partisan activities for MOST of the population of ukraine. yes the occupied lands are a different story.

That will be a different level of grief on Russian

Also, let's say the war runs for another year of near level conflict with a slant downwards casualty wise. It's still another 200,000 soldiers getting permanently unable to serve on anything other than Frontline infantry or just plain dead.

Lotta soldiers Russia needs to replace. Which has a laundry list of side effects politically and economically.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
E: Oops, they edited their post.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yes. Russia is in a position to grind this out. But there's a few things they have ongoing that may cause elongated issues to this whole project.

They haven't fought the citizenry hand to hand in Ukraine. Ala Resistance movements or partisan activities for MOST of the population of ukraine. yes the occupied lands are a different story.

That will be a different level of grief on Russian

Also, let's say the war runs for another year of near level conflict with a slant downwards casualty wise. It's still another 200,000 soldiers getting permanently unable to serve on anything other than Frontline infantry or just plain dead.

Lotta soldiers Russia needs to replace. Which has a laundry list of side effects politically and economically.

non of this is an issue and some is just bizarre

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

BART IM PISS posted:

Really? Is not even "hundreds of thousands of casualties" an issue? For what, how do you reckon?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BART IM PISS posted:

Yeah Putin will just click on the 'Conscript' icon a few million times and men will spew forth from his Moscow base.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ukraine cant win

A white country being subjected to what the US does as a day job doesn't make it special

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I love when the answer to "Russia has hosed up pretty much every step of this conflict" is "soon the TRUE nature of things will be revealed"

any day now...

BART IM PISS posted:

A white country being subjected to what the US does as a day job doesn't make it special

lol, hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
How do you define "win"?