Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
My Steam wishlist game thing is something I don't think is ever coming out called America is Doing Great / Apple Pie Bueno that I can't bring myself to remove because the little possum in the logo makes me smile.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290240/Apple_Pie_Bueno/

Seems like some sort of CSPAM-adjacent Oregon Trail or Roadwarden dealie.

"Sci-Fi adventure! Run from the law through the remnants of the US, centuries after the ice caps melt. America is a flooded, war-ravaged shell of its former self... and it's doing GREAT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Xaris posted:

just curious, is anyone still tangentially involved or plugged into the boardgame industry? ive got a huge shelf that we used to play all the time (though stopped buying around 2018 from oversat) but between a long pandemic+we're all geriatrics+live far enough with commute weariness, that they're basically all just collecting dust these days. looks like on youtube that most of the better ones are all ones from like 2011-2018 still

we have a board game cafe here but it's now 99% exclusively students or computer touchers on laptops doing homework and no one actually playing anything and pivoted more toward a standard coffee shop with a lot of seating

seems like the industry, hype train, and base has fallen out?

I love board games and have a sizable collection. The industry is still going strong but I definitely think a sort of "golden era" of development is in its last days. there's still a lot of options that aren't the "doorstopper" ks games like was mentioned, whether they be existing games or niche developers like hollandspiel still putting out products. Trad games has a great (if a little stuck up at times) thread on the topic I use to keep abreast and seem happy to provide recommendations for stuff you'd be looking for

Buck Wildman has issued a correction as of 14:50 on Apr 14, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

Go to your steam wish list

sort by release date

what is at the bottom of your list

Illwinter's Floorplan Generator, 2018

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

Look at you, pubbie: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my local server. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal admin?"

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

fondly remembering having time to sit down and play Arkham horror all night.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Buddykins posted:

Ive been playing the finals and forgot how much i enjoyed competitive multiplayer with good teamwork. are there any other good ones besides the obvious like apex and cod and fortnite or whatever? I think i get addicted to the unlocking customisation poo poo. even co-op would be cool too

You should try Escape from Tarkov. Absurd amounts of gear, and its weapon customization system is very deep. You also have a base to build up that takes a lot of time and resources but provides very substantial benefits. RPG-style stats? It's got em. Both co-op and lone wolf styles are viable and have their own pros and cons. Wipes are semi-annual so you're not getting bored and burned out as your gear and cash plateau forever. The learning curve is quite steep, and you will get poo poo on a lot for your first wipe. But as you learn and grow you will experience transcendent highs surviving and extracting with a high-value find, or ambushing and wiping out player teams carrying millions of roubles in equipment and loot. Buy the base game and give it an honest attempt for a month imo. If you still like it the account upgrades are also worth.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

don't do it it's a trick

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are many games that are special to me but i shan't reveal them

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

don't do it it's a trick

Yes, as well.

I did a 40 hour Tarkov tour, I still watch AquaFPS. It is a good video game for crazy people. Right up there with Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead when it comes to mechanical granularity.

But oh man, after eating poo poo from AI and rats and chads or whatever for 25 hours you do a thing that's would be considered a mild success and it feels like heroin. One Saturday I just Extract Camped and ruined sum nerds morning and that was just :chefkiss:

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

don't do it it's a trick

Not everyone is strong enough to make it in Norvinsk. There's plenty of ways to survive and thrive even with limited reflexes and bad vision (like me).

KirbyKhan posted:

Yes, as well.

I did a 40 hour Tarkov tour, I still watch AquaFPS. It is a good video game for crazy people. Right up there with Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead when it comes to mechanical granularity.

But oh man, after eating poo poo from AI and rats and chads or whatever for 25 hours you do a thing that's would be considered a mild success and it feels like heroin. One Saturday I just Extract Camped and ruined sum nerds morning and that was just :chefkiss:

You can physically feel the impotent fury emanating from the corpses of the slain. I consider it my duty to remove good gear from circulation, so I spend a lot of time ratting with trash gear, stripping meta poo poo from the dead, then selling it to the vendors instead of running it. It translates to a lower survival rate and less liquidity overall but a. who cares about s/r and b. busted AKMs cost next to nothing and BP rounds are cheap if the rest of your kit is bargain basement poo poo.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

need one of those 90s era anti drug commercials where some creep in a trench coat tries to get kids into tarkov and spiderman webs them up for the police before giving a pithy speech

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

This is Your Brain on Tarkov

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
is noah right, should i start playing diablo immortal for the machine zone? "the annihilation of the self"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3v-7Rndd8M&t=9230s

ziasquinn has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Apr 14, 2024

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

it actually sounds cool lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ziasquinn posted:

is noah right, should i start playing diablo immortal for the machine zone? "the annihilation of the self"

OH COOL IT'S SPIDER MAN

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Xaris posted:

it's cool/weird how such a simple free game can be insanely addicting for no apparent reason

humans must naturally just love number going up. guess thats why 401k's are ftw

it’s interesting because I would’ve assumed the exponential number-upping common in the genre was a critical component of the addictiveness. Somehow adding more numbers going up slowly works too.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Buck Wildman posted:

need one of those 90s era anti drug commercials where some creep in a trench coat tries to get kids into tarkov and spiderman webs them up for the police before giving a pithy speech

ziasquinn posted:

Buck Wildman posted:

OH COOL IT'S SPIDER MAN

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had no idea the mobile Diablo game released and still being supported

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

remember at E3 when that got announced instead of diablo 4 and one of the nerds in the audience asked them if they were being serious

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yes. “you all have phones right ?”

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Xaris posted:

just curious, is anyone still tangentially involved or plugged into the boardgame industry? ive got a huge shelf that we used to play all the time (though stopped buying around 2018 from oversat) but between a long pandemic+we're all geriatrics+live far enough with commute weariness, that they're basically all just collecting dust these days. looks like on youtube that most of the better ones are all ones from like 2011-2018 still

we have a board game cafe here but it's now 99% exclusively students or computer touchers on laptops doing homework and no one actually playing anything and pivoted more toward a standard coffee shop with a lot of seating

seems like the industry, hype train, and base has fallen out?

most of my friends have moved, had kids, or only like terrible monkey cheese random party games, so my little collection also gathers dust. extremely sad

my spouse even got into Twilight Imperium but nobody even wants to play much simpler games :negative:

HAIL eSATA-n has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Apr 14, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

yes. “you all have phones right ?”

my phone is exclusively for shitposting and playing hoplite on

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

most of my friends have moved, had kids, or only like terrible monkey cheese random party games, so my little collection also gathers dust. extremely sad

my spouse even got into Twilight Imperium but nobody even wants to play much simpler games :negative:

For the last 3 months my wife and her friends have been putting together playgroups for their autistic children and husbands, so I've been plugged back into boardgames since the last time in... 2007?!?

Apiary is a game about space bees and I hang.

It got me back into watching Twilight Imperium tournament brackets. I fuckin love overly complicated 1.5 hour drafts before the game even starts. A dude is trying to get us to do an Eclipse game, he pitched it as Twilight Imperium lite and I am willing to crush other nerds at this game of intellect and skill.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Had one of those Kickstarter boardgame friends but they backed literally every single boardgame they saw so there was always enough variety to keep it interesting. If something sucked rear end it was okay because they had eleven other games ready to go

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I backed one game on kickstarter, hardback by fowers. Would’ve backed bloodborne but I couldn’t afford it at the time.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I too had a kicksharter friend but drat I just want to play one of a dozen games that I know and are actually good, not spend 3 hours learning some new half baked v1 ruleset that’s totally good promise

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
underdogs is exactly what im looking for in a vr game, it's very aware of the limitations and strengths of vr, its presentation means basically no nausea, and you work up a real sweat as you box robots. i kind of wish there were more robot-on-robot fights but man that would up the difficulty significantly. love the weird cyberpunk london streats bruv aesthetic

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

DaysBefore posted:

Had one of those Kickstarter boardgame friends but they backed literally every single boardgame they saw so there was always enough variety to keep it interesting. If something sucked rear end it was okay because they had eleven other games ready to go

I also had a friend like this but it turns out 99% of expensive kickstarter board games have 300 page snooze fest rule sets and like twenty phase turns and we would always just end up playing zombie dice instead

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

everyone has that early phase where you're backing every fancy looking lemon in sight. you grow out of it and start being a lot more picky, there's still good games coming out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KenshiOfficial/status/1779525460084297855?t=SvcM0PNRpiU_VEMSY9u4sQ&s=19

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’ve only managed to get players for Pax Pamir twice and I don’t regret it. Game is great and gorgeous.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KirbyKhan posted:

For the last 3 months my wife and her friends have been putting together playgroups for their autistic children and husbands, so I've been plugged back into boardgames since the last time in... 2007?!?

Apiary is a game about space bees and I hang.

It got me back into watching Twilight Imperium tournament brackets. I fuckin love overly complicated 1.5 hour drafts before the game even starts. A dude is trying to get us to do an Eclipse game, he pitched it as Twilight Imperium lite and I am willing to crush other nerds at this game of intellect and skill.

Eclipse owns. It's what Twilight Imperium wishes it was.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’ve only managed to get players for Pax Pamir twice and I don’t regret it. Game is great and gorgeous.

one of my favorites and really easy to get folks interested once they see how it looks set up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ziasquinn posted:

I've been messing around with Diablo Immortal on my phone, purely as a way to have something to play with while laying in bed* and while I'm waiting at things like supermarket checkout lines.

once you get past the first two hours or so of Immortal (I'm level 26 right now), the game sort of opens up and starts throwing a bunch of different things for you to do: you could waste a lot of time just doing Bounties and Rifts without advancing the plot, and I'm sure the game is going to keep upping the ante on "daily tasks" for you to do as it opens up even more.

it's very good at creating a streamlined process by which you're driven to a place, click on things and they die and you scoop up loot and you identify upgrades before going off to another place to click on things to kill them. But I also recognize Noah's point here where the impulse to lose yourself in the Machine Zone is probably inversely related to how well your life is going in general. Right now I'm personally in a good enough place, mentally, that I can devote time and brain-power to Paradox strategy games, and the gratification there is much more fulfilling, but I can also think back and reflect on times when I wasn't, and I kept drifting back to Diablo 2 (or 3) because I just did not have the bandwidth for anything more cerebral.

I suppose that's not really a "problem" that's Immortal's fault, per se.

as far as things that are Immortal's issues, I will say that even if you're not paying for anything, there's like half a dozen little "obligations" that the game keeps pulling you towards, such that it's not really a pick-up-and-play game. Sure, you can do a Bounty in like 10 minutes, but fulfilling all the different things you want to do ends up requiring maybe an hour's commitment, and likely more as the chores accumulate. And this does not interact well with the fact that it's possible to ignore the plot for so long. When advancing the story takes maybe 30 minutes or more to get anywhere, but everything else takes less than that, you can end up wallowing in the shallow end of the pool unless you're willing to make much larger commitments of time. And while I'm sure that it's perfectly possible to make such commitments for those whose "primary" game is Immortal, it goes back to what I said that it's less of a game that leverages the mobile/compact nature of a mobile phone, but more like a full-fledged game, that just happens to be played on your phone.

that said, it's true that Immortal is very well-polished, and is probably the most "complicated" game you could play on a phone, that isn't just a straight port of a game that was originally made for another platform. And despite all the streamlining and sanding-down of edges that Blizzard does, it manages to capture that feeling of obtaining gear that lets you get ahead of the power curve, even as early in the game as I am in now. You can grab a nice rare weapon, and socket a legendary gem into it, and it significantly ups your kill speed, even though all the monsters keep "scaling" to your level.

but as someone who already has a lot of different ways to game, I can't really see myself playing Immortal as a "main" game, even within the action RPG genre specifically.

___

* I do have a Switch, and I have Balatro on it, but sometimes even just breaking out the Switch is more of a task than the phone you already have, that is also smaller.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

OH COOL IT'S SPIDER MAN

lol

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

How I've been feeling lately

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

euphronius posted:

The SA thread was pretty funny. It was 90% shitposting and 10% a few goons getting genuinely upset because people were mocking them for unironically playing it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

How I've been feeling lately

The Fallout show has got me wanting to take another swing at NV, but man this modding guide looks like it'll take an entire afternoon just to get the game into a functional state.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PlayTrackerNet/status/1779142771372134488?t=KjIC2wGE10hXvwbyNvihMQ&s=19

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

1stGear posted:

The Fallout show has got me wanting to take another swing at NV, but man this modding guide looks like it'll take an entire afternoon just to get the game into a functional state.

I did the whole viva new vegas experience and it was awesome and I decided I was done with nv forever after that