Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

MP for Barnsley…

Snipefax: 169 is the “nice” number added to 100

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's the shadow minister for gambling so nice to see she's supporting her brief.

*puts finger to ear* oh she's meant to be the minister for regulating it?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Gotta be worth a few trips to Gibraltar that job.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

We need whichever shadow minister is in charge of drugs policy doing a photo op injecting a nice smooth hit of heroin FOR CHARIDEE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

We need whichever shadow minister is in charge of drugs policy doing a photo op injecting a nice smooth hit of heroin FOR CHARIDEE

I'd donate to this charity campaign

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

More bad news…

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://x.com/johncusack/status/1779427326620467443

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Cusack should definitely go on Chapo, he's got some good takes as well as being a Hollywood superfreak - feel like he could do a great hour just talking about MMA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I liked him in 1408.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sorry luv, no food today for you. Our local councilor who gets £90k a year put the foodbank money on Sad Ken.
But be happy my dear, the money went to a better place, William Hill. They were down 8% in profits to £1.9 billion last year you know.
Now, get to bed and if we sleep until tomorrow there maybe something in the bins back of Tesco.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Disgusting failure on the past of the individual and nobody else: a single mum spending the food budget on the fifty video poker machines on the way to the shop.

Sensible pragmatic networking: An MP betting the constituency foodbank money on the ponies.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its pretty funny that centrists can go back and forth on any issue, but they'll always be eager to support any form of mass slaughter in the Middle East, provided the victim isn't Israel. Its the only stance they're ever consistent on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Imagine if she wins, though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone interested in learning some basic python coding, an ad for this short course just popped up in reddit and despite it saying 12th April I was able to sign up for it just now.
6 week commitment commencing 22nd April, some online live tutor stuff too.

https://codeinplace.stanford.edu/?rdt_cid=4992807449242220577

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jedit posted:

Your posting, for a start.

cheekeh!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I already speak parceltongue thanks

🐍

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone interested in learning some basic python coding, an ad for this short course just popped up in reddit and despite it saying 12th April I was able to sign up for it just now.

Thanks.
Been learning it recently, have C/C++ hardcoded into my brain the last 20 years, so a new language syntax is hard to retain.

10 print "penus"
20 goto 10

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Thanks.
Been learning it recently, have C/C++ hardcoded into my brain the last 20 years, so a new language syntax is hard to retain.

10 print "penus"
20 goto 10

code:
tess@Tomoe:~$ cat tmp
10 print "penus"
20 goto 10
tess@Tomoe:~$ gcc tmp
/usr/bin/ld:tmp: file format not recognized; treating as linker script
/usr/bin/ld:tmp:1: syntax error
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I learned a bit of Python a couple of years ago, I should get back into it. I really liked it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The annoying thing about Python is the V2 / V3 dichotomy which is mostly just me whining that I learned Python in the 2.x era and now everything is in the 3.x era and so I keep getting ruined by the more consistent formatting because I am extremely inconsistent with my brackets.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Starbucks posted:

I already speak parceltongue thanks

🐍

well I had to google that too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i like python for web stuff but javur will always be my #1 :)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Python is great for doing data science stuff as a lot of good tooling around it, if you can get around pandas/numpy etc you are golden.

I don’t really program for a living anymore, I mostly draw pretty pictures and presentations, but in my spare time I dabble in JavaScript/Web stuff (Nuxt/Vue), contribute to a couple of golang things, and do some personal swift iOS stuff.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Starbucks posted:

JavaScript/Web stuff

[assorted satanic hissing and boos]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tesseraction posted:

The annoying thing about Python is the V2 / V3 dichotomy which is mostly just me whining that I learned Python in the 2.x era and now everything is in the 3.x era and so I keep getting ruined by the more consistent formatting because I am extremely inconsistent with my brackets.

Just do javascript so old the old broken poo poo is still usable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
if you like learning programming by online class, i super recommend the cs50 stuff

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Python 2 has been trashcanned for the better part of a decade now, folks, it's fine to move on.

Yes we still ship it embedded why do you ask

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

mediaphage posted:

if you like learning programming by online class, i super recommend the cs50 stuff

I'm trying to convince myself to start it but I've read the learning curve is super hard on that course. Though I expect knowing some C might be useful.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Remember that supermarket pic from the other day?

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1779188544537350501

:allears:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

keep punching joe posted:

I'm trying to convince myself to start it but I've read the learning curve is super hard on that course. Though I expect knowing some C might be useful.

It is very doable. I did it a few years ago and thought it was a really well explained course with good support. I'm sure it's improved since. I'm currently working through 100Devs as a way of moving into computer touching for a job.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i enjoy computer progrimming, it's very satisfying :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I'm not programming smart in any way, shape or form but i have always been impressed by people who can program in Assembly Language, i assume that would be a lot harder given the size of programs these days.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It comes and goes, it was big for PIC embedded code long after it was unwieldy for most other things, and now those types of microcontrollers are so cheap that it's cheaper to have one on inside a 'candle effect' LED than a basic timer/flicker chip.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm not programming smart in any way, shape or form but i have always been impressed by people who can program in Assembly Language, i assume that would be a lot harder given the size of programs these days.

Obviously it depends on the programming, but no one really writes full programs in assembly.
Mostly, you find out areas where you could possibly make the code execute quicker if it was in assembly, and only do those.
But then again, most compilers do that poo poo these days.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

the first rollercoaster tycoon was made entirely in assembly lol. creator is a madman

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

keep punching joe posted:

it is high but there’s no pressure! you can start and stop and restart at any time. if nothing else you can just watch the lectures, do your own thing, and then come back and rewatch it and do the exercises alongside

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

kicked off my application for this - thanks!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lee Anderson has become the far-right's Alan Partridge
https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1778815339348054027

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I've written whole things in assembler, you kinda had to on the amiga although Blitz basic did a decent job.
However for anything past 1995, it's just too complex to handle entirely, compared to the benefits of C++. Just the automatic handling of vtables and stuff allows a level of abstraction that makes writing complex stuff so much easier. With todays processors (and graphic sizes), the CPU grunt work is usually much less of a bottleneck than reading/writing data, which is why motherboard and RAM speeds make the biggest difference. The few places where the CPU has to do very heavy lifting, you can usually get most of the perf gains with some tortuously complex C (including gotos!) that lays things out in a different way for the compiler to then build the more optimal output from. Less readable but more efficient, and it takes time to do properly*, so this is only in the last weeks during crunch when people are swearing about why the Switch version stutters when you go through doors or some such poo poo, and probably affects 1or 2 files out of 300,000.

* Adding so many goddamn comments there's likely more comments than code, but you can guarantee that in 2 years+ time some other project is going to email and say they borrowed this old thing and it needs fixing, and if you don't you will be staring at a horrible tangle of unintelligible code with your name at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I do that enough mornings as it is.