Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I'm just about half-way through. My thoughts:

1. Why is Howard so awful? Like not even selfish and cold but actively cruel. Is there something that can turn a reasonably good man into that?

200 years of hard living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Small thing I really like: the original title and credit treatments for each episode, it's fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The ambient soundtrack also has some great moody songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLbwmETog6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLi9sSLAUKc

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i really liked this show. goofy like the games, but took itself just seriously enough to not be complete nonsense. and of course goggins as usual was fantastic.

i've enjoyed all the games, even fallout tactics, but never gave much of a poo poo about the overarching lore between them all.

tbh no matter how they'd done the show there would have been thousands of turbo-nerds online freaking out that it doesn't fit the lore of their favourite games.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Going back to just the show, I do feel that the Brotherhood could have had a bit more explanation going on. It's to the show's benefit and detriment that it throws the audience into the wasteland without much context. When we're following Lucy it works great because it plays off of her naivete and lets wasteland groups and concepts stand as self evident.

It works with both the show and game though because you are suppose to be confused about what's going on now.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

w0o0o0o posted:

Baiting that kid into reaching for a gun was a really lovely thing to do. That being said, it was a pretty cool homage to The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

he's like 200 years old. He's probably seen revenge seeking siblings on 20 different occasions

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Uh what?

The endings were 15 years before the show

There are some critical changes in the Fallout TV show timeline that happen before New Vegas and even House is different.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

grobbo posted:

Yeah, the bit with "...so wait, you guys USE advanced technology in order to FIND advanced technology so nobody else can USE advanced technology? What??" "Ha ha, yeah, it is a bit weird, I guess" was frustrating writing, because it's not weird or confusing at all! Take this opportunity to explain what you believe!

Girl is talking to him. He'll laugh off my firmly held ideas at a moment's notice. That was the most believable moment of the show.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Finished the season.

Whole thing was excellent, start to finish. Every plot thread landed. One of the most consistent seasons I've seen in ages and it sets up the story to continue in season 2 perfectly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

There are some critical changes in the Fallout TV show timeline that happen before New Vegas and even House is different.

The vaguely worded chalkboard drawing for children doesn't really change anything. I believe one of the writers or showrunners maintains that New Vegas remains canon.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Lucy's naivete has layers and isn't endless. She's not a Stepford Wife automaton of being unwaveringly naïve. In fact what we call naïve in this terrible setting might as well be grizzled pessimism in another.

Sure, she doesn't presume her neighbours are out to raid and pillage her vault. But her mind heads in that direction pretty quickly. And sure she didn't consider organ harvesting as her danger; she merely expected sex slavery.

That's a pattern. She does consider that people are bad, and even worse than she can imagine. And it's still not enough.

Even when it's getting her into trouble like on the bridge. It's not mindless optimism. She understands that there are bad people. She understands the need to not instantly presume people have good intentions. She just thinks it's silly to not try to take a chance on everyone having no ill intentions. Because here the alternative is a shootout or nobody getting where they need to go. And it would have worked even if the other folks were just run-of-the-mill bad. Like if they were robbers hoping for a quick mark. She's taking precautions against this by having everyone keep their arms up and within sight. Even if one group were robbers or slavers they would be risking their lives with no advantage. Her plan while no fool-proof makes sense even if one party are regularly bad guys. So long as the need to harm others doesn't override their own preservation instincts. Which is why she's so frustrated when it goes to sh*t.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Well yeah, she's experientially naive, but not temperamentally - she's clearly intelligent. As she gets exposed to more and more dangerous situations, her responses become smarter because she knows what she's dealing with. She just didn't know before.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SCheeseman posted:

The vaguely worded chalkboard drawing for children doesn't really change anything. I believe one of the writers or showrunners maintains that New Vegas remains canon.

I recall somewhere they also said it was just a genuine timeline error.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

couple episode 8 points, one question and one speculation

question:
i blanked on how the brotherhood found out moldaver/the head were at the observatory. lucy had a tracker on the head, but max didn't, right? or at least i don't remember them discussing this. how did max know where lucy and the head was to point the brotherhood to the observatory?

speculation:
i'm guessing moldaver was in one of the vaults, which is why she is still alive after 200 years? i wasn't clear on if the pods they lived in kept them in statis for 200 years or if some of these people have extreme longevity like ghouls. either way, moldaver says 'if you only let the bad guys be hypocritical, they win', so i'm guessing this is her reasoning for going undercover in one of the vaults and escaping after she woke up?

she couldn't have been in vault 31 because hank didn't immediately know who she was, nor did anybody else, only by reputation, so she must've been from another vault.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

roomtone posted:

couple episode 8 points, one question and one speculation

question:
i blanked on how the brotherhood found out moldaver/the head were at the observatory. lucy had a tracker on the head, but max didn't, right? or at least i don't remember them discussing this. how did max know where lucy and the head was to point the brotherhood to the observatory?

speculation:
i'm guessing moldaver was in one of the vaults, which is why she is still alive after 200 years? i wasn't clear on if the pods they lived in kept them in statis for 200 years or if some of these people have extreme longevity like ghouls. either way, moldaver says 'if you only let the bad guys be hypocritical, they win', so i'm guessing this is her reasoning for going undercover in one of the vaults and escaping after she woke up?

she couldn't have been in vault 31 because hank didn't immediately know who she was, nor did anybody else, only by reputation, so she must've been from another vault.

One of the concept arts shown at the ep 8 credits shows commercially available cryogenic storage. Given that her work got brought out, she had the means to secure a spot somewhere. By the time the show starts Moldaver is clearly a known figure in the Wasteland.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

One of the concept arts shown at the ep 8 credits shows commercially available cryogenic storage. Given that her work got brought out, she had the means to secure a spot somewhere. By the time the show starts Moldaver is clearly a known figure in the Wasteland.

yeah i'm guessing everybody was timed to wake up 200 years later, going by the age hank was pre-vault to now, about 19 years would fit and it's 219 years since the bombs fell, so moldaver has had 19 years to ascend to her position at the start of the series.

although i guess this would mean lucy is only 19, if hank and rose had her in the first year of waking up? i suppose that's believable. although her brother looks about 30. eh, maybe it wasn't exactly 200 years.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you can square the circle by remembering that ages and depictions are a little bit off in media. I liked the brother's character.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Moldaver also mentions that her company got bought by the corporate conspirators, it's very possible she's still employed by them and she's able to get in on the management freezing perk.

I'm curious if Mrs Cooper is going to turn out to have been working against the conspirators. She's baiting them with godhood and prioritizing her family's well-being, but it's possible she saw where they were going anyway and suggested it for leverage.

Got to rewatch ep1 in the context of ep8 though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I get a feeling being a little guy they're playing down the age and he's the younger brother. Real Dear Even Hansen hours.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

I liked the brother's character.

yeah so did I, one of the many positive surprises throughout the show. initially he seems like he's just going to be a one episode goober, cowering from danger, but his performance ended up having a lot of internality and his actions throughout were compelling. looking forward to seeing what he does next.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
General thoughts

I was expecting the reveal that Moldaver was Goosey's mother.

At some point Lucy mentions the bombs dropping hundreds of years ago, which Maximus seems confused about since he remembers them from when he was a kid. I was expected a revelation that either the vault or Brotherhood of Steel were seriously messing with peoples time scales. Turns out that Max just misunderstood which bomb she was referring to.

I think the desert with a few empty ruins was used a bit too much, felt like a cost cutting measure to have to build as few sets as possible.

I played through all of the Fallout games. I was under the impression that feral ghouls were ghouls that had their brains rotted by heavy radiation. And not normal ghouls that didn't take their daily dose of medicine. Did I miss something?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oasx posted:

General thoughts

I played through all of the Fallout games. I was under the impression that feral ghouls were ghouls that had their brains rotted by heavy radiation. And not normal ghouls that didn't take their daily dose of medicine. Did I miss something?

not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The drug he takes could be rad away super concentrate.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

end spoilers:

another cool thing was how lucy says earlier that she believed that the light in the vault crop field was actually the sun when she was little, and then at the end she/we realise that it actually was because she was with her mother in shady sands. she just recontextualised the memory. pretty nice way to have the betrayal of her dad hit home. also really good writing to sprinkle that in as justified exposition in an earlier episode and then bring it back as part of the ending revelations.

it's all so tidy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oasx posted:

That is a TV thing, it's not in the games.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

This show was such a pleasant surprise, and incredibly well-casted. It both feels Fallout-y and is legitimately good TV. The finale was a bit weak, but not due to the plot but because the director apparently thought he was making a masterpiece to rival Schindler's list or something. The amount of flashbacks and slow-mo shots in addition to making Kyle MacLachlan silently emote over and over again in the latter half of the episode was grating. In total this was an incredible first season though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
In the show they're constantly taking Rad-X/Away to slow down the radiation loving what's left of their brains, but even in the games it's just a matter of time/luck on when a given ghoul succumbs. It's one of the reasons ghouls are so ostracized.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

roomtone posted:

end spoilers:

another cool thing was how lucy says earlier that she believed that the light in the vault crop field was actually the sun when she was little, and then at the end she/we realise that it actually was because she was with her mother in shady sands. she just recontextualised the memory. pretty nice way to have the betrayal of her dad hit home. also really good writing to sprinkle that in as justified exposition in an earlier episode and then bring it back as part of the ending revelations.

it's all so tidy.

agreed

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Finished the show. I've never played Fallout and the only thing I know about it going in were that people lived in vaults and that it went from a turn based rpg to a gun/shooter game.

Some thoughts (all episodes):

1. So I went into the show thinking that nobody lived on the surface. I thought it was not possible to survive out there. Guess I was very wrong.

2. The timeline was kind of confusing to me at first but at the end of it all it seemed very intentional. I was very confused seeing all the scenes of Max coming out of his Indiana Jones style nuke proof fridge because I thought the nukes happened 200 years ago. At first I thought "ok, this is a flashback sequence" and then I thought "oh uh, maybe people living in the radiation hellhole have mutated to having longer lives?" But then it was all explained. That was nice story telling.

3. Max shows that people wearing the armor can throw a pebble and hit something half a mile away and cause major damage. So uh, I don't understand why the people in the suits don't do that more often. Like instead of running in with guns, based on what the show showed me they should have just stood back and thrown rocks.

4. What is a ghoul? They are zombies or something? Main character ghoul was alive the entire time and the white squire guy was turned into one and just heals like Wolverine? Why doesn't everyone want to turn into a ghoul if it gives them unlimited life? "Because they have to take a drug every day" isn't a good excuse imo.

Last thing is, one of my coworkers has played the games and I was talking to him about it and long story short he said he refused to watch the show "because of Todd Howard" and vaguely mentioned some stuff about the ending of one of the games that "nobody likes." Can someone explain.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

DarkLich posted:

Now that more folks are finishing this, I'm curious -

Would the show have benefited from being a weekly release, instead of the usual streaming format?

Honestly I find that unless the weekly show is incredibly well-made (Shogun for instance) I just don't watch them until the full season is out. The reason for this is mostly that as I get older and and daily life is more filled with stuff I just don't remember "small character from a 5 minute scene two weeks ago" the same way I did before, and so it gets annoying watching the episodes piecemeal with long delays. For the PR-marketing/hype standpoint I'm sure weekly drops if its a big show or split the season in two ala Netflix is better, but in terms of consumer experience I prefer content dumps.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m only halfway through but now that they’ve met up I’m thoroughly enjoying 10 Int 1 Per Lucy and her BFF, 1 Int 10 Luck but took Jinxed Maximus.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Finished the show. I've never played Fallout and the only thing I know about it going in were that people lived in vaults and that it went from a turn based rpg to a gun/shooter game.

Some thoughts (all episodes):

1. So I went into the show thinking that nobody lived on the surface. I thought it was not possible to survive out there. Guess I was very wrong.

2. The timeline was kind of confusing to me at first but at the end of it all it seemed very intentional. I was very confused seeing all the scenes of Max coming out of his Indiana Jones style nuke proof fridge because I thought the nukes happened 200 years ago. At first I thought "ok, this is a flashback sequence" and then I thought "oh uh, maybe people living in the radiation hellhole have mutated to having longer lives?" But then it was all explained. That was nice story telling.

3. Max shows that people wearing the armor can throw a pebble and hit something half a mile away and cause major damage. So uh, I don't understand why the people in the suits don't do that more often. Like instead of running in with guns, based on what the show showed me they should have just stood back and thrown rocks.

4. What is a ghoul? They are zombies or something? Main character ghoul was alive the entire time and the white squire guy was turned into one and just heals like Wolverine? Why doesn't everyone want to turn into a ghoul if it gives them unlimited life? "Because they have to take a drug every day" isn't a good excuse imo.

Last thing is, one of my coworkers has played the games and I was talking to him about it and long story short he said he refused to watch the show "because of Todd Howard" and vaguely mentioned some stuff about the ending of one of the games that "nobody likes." Can someone explain.

in the games ghouls are ostracized because there is no drug to keep them from going feral, it just happens randomly even to ghouls who are totally cool. also, they mentioned this a couple times in the show but the brotherhood kills all ghouls on sight for being abominations

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
One thing I don't understand is that cold fusion is treated as a magical mcguffin, but they already have "fusion cores" capable of powering an entire vault indefinitely, as seen in Vault 4. Don't they use cold fusion? Futhermore, the fusion cores are apparently the same ones used by the power armors, so a single power armor battery could power an entire community. I guess the cold fusion chip is just a lot more powerful.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 14, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

hawowanlawow posted:

in the games ghouls are ostracized because there is no drug to keep them from going feral, it just happens randomly even to ghouls who are totally cool. also, they mentioned this a couple times in the show but the brotherhood kills all ghouls on sight for being abominations

In the episode 3 or 4 Lucy says "if you don't take this, you turn into one of those?" Which is pretty clearly telling the audience that 1 drink a day keeps the ghoul away.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SimonChris posted:

One thing I don't understand is that cold fusion is treated as a magical mcguffin, but they already have "fusion cores" capable of powering an entire vault indefinitely, as seen in Vault 4. Don't they work use cold fusion? Futhermore, the fusion cores are apparently the same ones used by the power armors, so a single power armor battery could power an entire community. I guess the cold fusion chip is just a lot more powerful.

Yeah the cold fusion didn't make any sense. Part of the tragedy of Fallout is the US invented fusion and was in the process of switching to power the entire country on it, the Resource Wars no longer had any reason to continue. Microfusion cells could power everything, cleanly, forever. The promised marvelous future was moments away and they destroyed themselves instead.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SimonChris posted:

One thing I don't understand is that cold fusion is treated as a magical mcguffin, but they already have "fusion cores" capable of powering an entire vault indefinitely, as seen in Vault 4. Don't they work use cold fusion? Futhermore, the fusion cores are apparently the same ones used by the power armors, so a single power armor battery could power an entire community. I guess the cold fusion chip is just a lot more powerful.

I thought the same but I just chalked it up to it being tv. In real life fusion occurs at very very high temperatures like what you'd find in a star while cold fusion is theorized to be able to occur at room temperature. I just assumed that the show didn't want to get into being scientifically accurate given you know, everything else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was also confused by that.

And why it needed to be smuggled out in his skull.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

He is probably talking about Fallout 3.

In the pre-DLC ending Your character has the opportunity to finish your father's life's work: Clean pure water for the entire Capital Wasteland. The rub is that the activation chamber has been flooded with lethal radiation and you'll need to make the ultimate sacrifice before the Enclave fucks it all up. That's not so bad as circa 2008 video games go, but they kind of wrote themselves into a corner by making 2-3 of your possible companions you could have at your side radiation-proof.

There is even a groan-worthy exchange you can have if you ask Fawkes, a radiation-immune super mutant who literally owes you his life and freedom, to do it. He declines and says he won't rob you of your important destiny.

The DLC retconned That you survive regardless, and lets you send in a companion, but people remember the original ending. And the game is just in general remembered for rather weak writing, probably owing in no small part to Fallout:NV coming around a few years later to play in the same world and do it much better.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

edit: beaten, but have my two lovely cents on the matter

Probably referring to the fallout 3 ending, which has the main character unecessarily sacrificing themselves. But, could be anything. Bethesda writing is not very thought-through, it's a feature. Don't let that put you off the games, they are enjoyable even though you have to turn off your brain for some of it. The originals (1 & 2) were not perfect serious works of fiction either, but in their own way.

If someone unironically refers to Todd Howard/Emil Pagliarulo as the single blame for something or other, it's a coin toss whether you end up in crazy town video game discourse. I like to poo poo on bethesda games and their occasionally non-sensical writing or paper thin characters.. or just outrageous merchandizing etc. but I've racked up thousands of hours in them regardless and I fail to see what bullying or threatening beth employees is going to accomplish.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

moths posted:

I was also confused by that.

And why it needed to be smuggled out in his skull.

Enclave probably has crazy security. So scanning literally everything he brought out of the lab is very possible. He likely just thought that was the safest way to do it without getting caught. Also it's a decent way to make sure you don't accidentally lose it. This was something he was willing to live he's entire life for, and in the end die for, so a bit of pain while injecting it would be a very, eh whatever thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SimonChris posted:

One thing I don't understand is that cold fusion is treated as a magical mcguffin, but they already have "fusion cores" capable of powering an entire vault indefinitely, as seen in Vault 4. Don't they use cold fusion? Futhermore, the fusion cores are apparently the same ones used by the power armors, so a single power armor battery could power an entire community. I guess the cold fusion chip is just a lot more powerful.

The fusion core can power a power armor or a vault, which typically has a few dozen people, maybe a couple hundred at a time. The cold fusion thing was powering that entire city.