Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thundarr posted:

This is the sort of game that can play out wildly differently depending on the preferences of the player. I've seen people rushing the main story and getting to the end in the 30s. I explored a ton and got to the end at like level 70 something.

Not rushing does put you at a disadvantage for getting your pawn hired, unfortunately.
What do you mean Act 1 early battahl trip gear with no upgrades no longer looks impressive when I hit *checks notes* Level 50 already!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Obligatum VII posted:

They got me with this too. I was heading over to the inn to grab some equipment from storage after having just swapped to it for the first time...

The funny thing is you can resolve this by just calling in your pawns for help (I'm pretty sure giving them any order except for "wait" will get them to join the fight), and the NPC that speaks up about the fight being unfair says "hah, pretty smart to call in backup against those odds, I guess you weren't as alone as they thought, eh?"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the main negative against classes like Magick Archer: they're just pretty basic and boring to play as a nuke cannon.

This game is much worse than the first in a lot of ways but this is the one that pisses me off the most. Magick Archer got heavily nerfed. It was amazing in the first game and a hell of a lot of fun to play.

You got to use daggers and even had exclusive dagger skills that were easily the best in the game. The best was the skill that let you light yourself on fire. It did constant chip damage to you while activated but it did a shitload of damage to anything you touched. You could quickly kill large monsters by climbing them and stabbing the poo poo out of them while on fire. Even drakes would go down easily if you clung to the heart. :black101:

You also had the best Strider skills like the quick roll and double jump and even Instant Reset (which doesn't even exist in 2). You could even use a staff to cast a few spells, which added a bit of utility. To be reduced to using only magick bows makes it a much less useful and much less fun class.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:shobon:

Loved this chill hunched over cat I hired at the start of the game and hired her 3 or 4 times, unfortunately I progressed a lot faster than her player so I eventually ended up at twice her level and had to find other mages.

The ingame scene said that ulrika was my beloved, but the end game listing actually put her at #2 and #1 was elrond's son. (sorry I can't remember your name, elrond's son)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Haha, nice. I ended up with 23 wakestones used, most of which i used for fast travel (from the tops to the bottoms of cliffs)

I was kind of shocked this actually worked when I jumped from the sphinx shrine all the way down to the fog forest. Like you skip enormous chunks of map in a few places with wake stones.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm around Level 45 and feel like the quests have kind of dried up? Early in the game there was usually at least 4-5 at any given time but I've been kind of going from maybe 1 to 2 at a time and I'm wondering if I should be talking to random NPCs and exploring settled locations more, or if that's normal

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Owl Inspector posted:

:shobon:

Loved this chill hunched over cat I hired at the start of the game and hired her 3 or 4 times, unfortunately I progressed a lot faster than her player so I eventually ended up at twice her level and had to find other mages.

The ingame scene said that ulrika was my beloved, but the end game listing actually put her at #2 and #1 was elrond's son. (sorry I can't remember your name, elrond's son)

It's either Elrohir or Elladan

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's either Elrohir or Elladan

Pretty sure it's Gwyneth Paltrow.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the main negative against classes like Magick Archer: they're just pretty basic and boring to play as a nuke cannon.

This is the main reason I'm waffling on making it my Main Class despite thinking it's aesthetically cool. I want to get the Wyrm crystal gear for a vocation but only have enough for one and probably won't grind up the amount for another for a long time.

For some reason I actually like Sorceror a bit more in terms of basic gameplay, mainly because the spells gave unique AoE's and don't just lock on to enemies (well, ignoring the massive AoE Meister spells).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For the love of god Simon I’m jumping up and down next to this sheer wall and you just told me there’s a chest up there—just Springboard me!

Seriously though is there a way to trigger that? I’ve tried “Go” and “Help me”. He also did it once in Vernwhatever the initial city, and I missed the jump, and he would not do it again. He just did it out of nowhere that time, I was a fair ways away and he was trying to get me up onto a balcony that doesn’t have a chest on it?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

God bless Skillup for actually calling out this games many problems-and true to how weird this fuckin game is, he still recommends it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sorcerer4Life because I refuse to live without Levitate.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I can only assume somebody's found a way to mod themselves an arbitrary number of pawn ratings, since I can't think of any other reason there's a level 1 fighter pawn with 9999 likes and several thousand hearts.

e: the "Get robbed" achievement is clearly the most obnoxious to obtain, since it seems like I basically need to kill all three pawns and just let myself get punched by bandits until the hooded one decides to actually rob me, rather than just circling around at a distance.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 15, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AcidCat posted:

God bless Skillup for actually calling out this games many problems-and true to how weird this fuckin game is, he still recommends it.

I'm going through a similar conflict to figure out why I liked the game on the average, put 100 hours into poking through every part of the world I could find, and would consider even playing it again with some mods, when such a vast amount of it is completely unrewarding, terribly designed or obviously unfinished. very perplexing game

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Gaming is its own reward

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
None of the quests really hooked me or made me care but the moment to moment gameplay is consistently fantastic, especially when things get really chaotic

E:

Volte posted:

Gaming is its own reward
Yeah

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

None of the quests really hooked me or made me care but the moment to moment gameplay is consistently fantastic, especially when things get really chaotic

I learned today that it's possible for an oxcart to be merely tipped over instead of destroyed, and once combat ends you get a button to Aid Oxcart.

Using the button flips it back upright, and then IMMEDIATELY summons a griffon to land on it and blast it to smithereens.

Dragon's Dogma 2

e: fun sphinx fact: if you do her riddles again in NG+, the finder's token is in the spot where you picked up the first seeker's token in NG+, not your very first one. I assume if you've already collected all of them either you auto fail the riddle or she just chastises you for having found none.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 15, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Owl Inspector posted:

I'm going through a similar conflict to figure out why I liked the game on the average, put 100 hours into poking through every part of the world I could find, and would consider even playing it again with some mods, when such a vast amount of it is completely unrewarding, terribly designed or obviously unfinished. very perplexing game

It's a weird situation for me as well. Part of the reason I didn't try the original Dragon's Dogma is that the description didn't sound like the sort of game I'd enjoy - I generally don't like games with vague/unclear narratives, and the combat appeared somewhat Souls-ish (even though I now realize that's not the case).

But I put like 60+ hours into this within a couple weeks of it releasing.

The closest thing to a conclusion I could come to is that combat just sort of "feels good." The act of moving around and doing things is "comfortable." This is a big reason I can't get into the Souls games or Elden Ring - their gameplay largely revolves around stiff movement. This isn't really a bad thing or a good thing - those games are just designed around the challenge of "having to be careful with the timing/positioning of your attacks." But I can't spend hours playing something that fundamentally feels awkward/uncomfortable to play.

I think this is also why Cyberpunk is another game I've played a ton. The simple act of running around and doing stuff is very fluid/comfortable in that game.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Subjunctive posted:

For the love of god Simon I’m jumping up and down next to this sheer wall and you just told me there’s a chest up there—just Springboard me!

Seriously though is there a way to trigger that? I’ve tried “Go” and “Help me”. He also did it once in Vernwhatever the initial city, and I missed the jump, and he would not do it again. He just did it out of nowhere that time, I was a fair ways away and he was trying to get me up onto a balcony that doesn’t have a chest on it?

I have had some minor success aiming my reticle up so the treasure chest / ledge is in the middle of my screen and then spamming Go/Help Me, but yeah, it's pretty wonky!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really hate fighting drakes this time around. They never loving land, can barely be knocked out of the sky, and if you climb on them to stab the heart the camera clips inside the stupid thing then reverses its controls because it loses where you are.

The Thief is way easier than the Spearhand because it can actually hurt the stupid thing, but it's just kind of a chore.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 15, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Random updates from my mother's playthrough for you all to enjoy:

She's been having a helluva time recently. Her pawn and/or other random pawns have gotten red eyes/dragon plague about 3-4 times just in the past few days. She's losing her mind.

She's level 56 and mystic spearhand and still struggles to kill dragons at this point.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Beat the game, but now I've found myself in the conundrum of wanting to try for a dual fighter / shield only run, but I didn't think to buy any endgame gear for it before i hit NG+, and don't really feel like churning through the whole game just to get back to the ability too buy the gear I want.

Also there's the fact that while unarmed might fare just fine against mooks, I don't exactly want to spend most large monster fights mashing X against weak points.

Might just mod myself the gear and go to town. I just want a pair of Beastren Pride armor for me and my pawn :/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In NG+ you can buy penultimate gear (better than volcanic island) as soon as you reach the capital, and ultimate gear once you open the Dragonforgef shop.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

The Lone Badger posted:

In NG+ you can buy penultimate gear (better than volcanic island) as soon as you reach the capital, and ultimate gear once you open the Dragonforgef shop.

Ooh, that's makes things much better! We'll give it a shot in that case.

I haven't experimented much with this yet, but are there any class skills that can be used independent of weapons? For example, as Warfarer, could I use Implicate without having to equip daggers?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I've been sticking with rank 9 lightning hammer warrior for a while as I let my main pawn get to rank up thief first (I could swear I saw rosy cheeks for two seconds when I did this, justified!). It has been a great time overall, but...

Am I crazy, or do most warrior skills past the first two get WEAKER, in spite of being described as stronger? (I don't have the meister skill),

Heavenward upswing is forever an MVP, and can sometimes even clip it's way into busting golem ankles while they are hidden. The fact it seems to be dealing multiple hits across multiple monster 'parts' may have to do with that.

Meanwhile, surging strike ground impale doesn't seem to work on large monsters even downed. And is fussy against normal enemies (Oh boy, a frozen target! I love Hagol... Oh I can't impale them okay). While indomitable lash charged to the flash feels like it does hardly anything when I am standing on their shoulders, or bonking a downed skull.

Mountain Breaker has felt worth bringing for "Feels like it staggers better, as advertised", but also feels like a joke for damage usually.

Honorable mention for rending sweep. Not for crowds, as life loves having things scatter out of reach. But because it REALLY fucks up lizard men. I hit them with lash while they are down, they basically laugh at it even aimed at the tail (might be blunt weapon's fault?). But spin swing seems to jackpot big damage a lot, probably because the low swings are counting as multiple tail/belly hits?

loving up a chimera before camping out made me feel this extra hard, where I got sick of charged lash bonks doing gently caress all even when down, and just using heavenward more instead. Why bonk one head for lackluster damage, when I can bonk both? :pseudo:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 15, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Section Z posted:

So I've been sticking with rank 9 lightning hammer warrior for a while as I let my main pawn get to rank up thief first (I could swear I saw rosy cheeks for two seconds when I did this, justified!). It has been a great time overall, but...

Am I crazy, or do most warrior skills past the first two get WEAKER, in spite of being described as stronger? (I don't have the meister skill),

Heavenward upswing is forever an MVP, and can sometimes even clip it's way into busting golem ankles while they are hidden. The fact it seems to be dealing multiple hits across multiple monster 'parts' may have to do with that.

Meanwhile, surging strike ground impale doesn't seem to work on large monsters even downed. And is fussy against normal enemies (Oh boy, a frozen target! I love Hagol... Oh I can't impale them okay). While indomitable lash charged to the flash feels like it does hardly anything when I am standing on their shoulders, or bonking a downed skull.

Mountain Breaker has felt worth bringing for "Feels like it staggers better, as advertised", but also feels like a joke for damage usually.

Honorable mention for rending sweep. Not for crowds, as life loves having things scatter out of reach. But because it REALLY fucks up lizard men. I hit them with lash while they are down, they basically laugh at it even aimed at the tail (might be blunt weapon's fault?). But spin swing seems to jackpot big damage a lot, probably because the low swings are counting as multiple tail/belly hits?

loving up a chimera before camping out made me feel this extra hard, where I got sick of charged lash bonks doing gently caress all even when down, and just using heavenward more instead. Why bonk one head for lackluster damage, when I can bonk both? :pseudo:

the upward attack is the best warrior skill. Savage lash or whatever barely does more damage even if you hit a weak point, takes forever to charge and doesn't hit multiple times. It's kind of disappointing the big gently caress off skills are so weak compared to a really easy to spam one.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I wish I had known there was a forger before I gave the tomes to the witch girl, now I don't have the copies to give to her rear end in a top hat dad. Somehow I found a 2nd Nation's Death Knell, though.

I wonder if it'd be possible to pawn quest the other tomes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I can't figure out what the gently caress I'm doing wrong on this Medusa. I put on the no damage ring and beat on its goddamn neck for five straight minutes as a thief and it won't sever the head.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mordiceius posted:

I can't figure out what the gently caress I'm doing wrong on this Medusa. I put on the no damage ring and beat on its goddamn neck for five straight minutes as a thief and it won't sever the head.

You have to do a lot of damage to the head very fast IIRC

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nuebot posted:

You have to do a lot of damage to the head very fast IIRC

I've heard that its number of swings, not amount of damage.

It has been driving me crazy. I'll try with the ring - nothing. I try without the ring, I stab her head a ton in like 10 seconds and take her past the first healthbar - nothing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does it need to be nonelemental damage?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Just took the head off but I didn’t get the head as loot? Wasn’t on the corpse. Wasn’t on the ground. Wasn’t in inventory.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

It can be a little tough to tell how effective your pawns are being when there's 3 of them chucking goblins all over the place while your screen is full of meteors, but on this 4x enemy hp + main pawn only Fighter run, I'm much more reliant on my pawn and have a far better idea of what and how he's doing. And now after using him as both a Fighter and a Warrior for a bit, I've concluded that the pawns are far, far better as Warriors. It's no less survivable, does significantly more damage, and most importantly he staggers the poo poo out of large monsters constantly which he cannot do as Fighter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have only had success beheading Medusa with lightning on my thieves knives. It was very quick when successful.

I don't think it's damage based in total because I've tried since with stronger knives, doing way more damage but without the lightning, and had no luck.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Okay. Figured it out. I guess with the first beheading, the body fell on the head, making me unable to grab it. That’s hosed lol. Anyway. Reloaded a save, got on there with lightning daggers and did a Draw and Quarter and immediately decapitated.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Okay. Figured it out. I guess with the first beheading, the body fell on the head, making me unable to grab it. That’s hosed lol. Anyway. Reloaded a save, got on there with lightning daggers and did a Draw and Quarter and immediately decapitated.

You can destroy the body by attacking if it's in the way.

Also to remove the head you need to do critical damage specifically.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Thundarr posted:

I can only assume somebody's found a way to mod themselves an arbitrary number of pawn ratings, since I can't think of any other reason there's a level 1 fighter pawn with 9999 likes and several thousand hearts.

e: the "Get robbed" achievement is clearly the most obnoxious to obtain, since it seems like I basically need to kill all three pawns and just let myself get punched by bandits until the hooded one decides to actually rob me, rather than just circling around at a distance.

Don't think I got an achievement out of it, but I did get robbed. Was exploring the plateau SW of elf town, and thought I could jump to the top of a ring ruin on the plateau below. Missed the jump, fell flat on my face with 75% damage and activated the thieves who were chilling around the ruin, one of them helping himself to a ferrystone of mine as I was busy crying face flat on the ground and my pawns were still on the top ledge trying to understand what deep strategic insight I was obviously trying to impart to them. The forger special finds store teased me for the rest of the game with that lost ferrystone, requesting 20k for it. :argh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is the 9999 likes pawn one of these Capcom streamer ones?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have only had success beheading Medusa with lightning on my thieves knives. It was very quick when successful.

I don't think it's damage based in total because I've tried since with stronger knives, doing way more damage but without the lightning, and had no luck.

The easiest trick is Warfarer with Soporific Arrow (from Magic Archer), if you have those vocations.

Put her to sleep and walk up and hit her head with daggers. No climbing necessary since her head falls to the ground while asleep. The head pops off in literally 1-2 hits.

Edit: if it's related to getting a critical hit and I just got lucky, this way is still probably much easier since it shouldn't take long to get one with spammed dagger attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Why do my pawns keep tagging broken oxcarts with exclamation points, am I supposed to do something with these