Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was reading this thread while in a parking spot at Sonic, waiting to pick up an order. I get the order and lock my phone, carefully look in my mirrors and backup camera as I back out of the space. But I can't keep going back because it's a one way lot, so I go to exit what I think is a wide driveway to the gas station next door, because there is a line of cars waiting in the drive thru portion blocking the way to the street exit; I've come through the other direction many times. It turns out though that I did not see or remember what was very small curb and that there was in fact only room for one vehicle to go from that gas station into the Sonic. My car easily and quickly climbs the curb since it's lower than my bumper. But still, loud noise; instant panic. Not sure do I go forward or go back. I go back because I don't think I have the clearance, for all I know the car is sitting on the curb now, I do not have a lot of clearance. I go back, honestly it was fairly easy. But I am scared out of my mind. The car that was in front of the little inlet backups up and lets me pass. I drive thinking some of the trim is going to fall off or that my tires are now out of alignment or my wheels are hosed, so I get to some place I know is safe a few feet away (but far enough away from the area where anyone who saw my blunder could see me) and inspect the vehicle. No apparent damage although the tires have scuff marks but seem to remain structurally sound. All the same I drive the mile home wondering with every bump if my car is in fact hosed because I can't afford to repair it if it is. Inspected it and everything looks fine.

This is terrible car stuff to me.

(in reality of typing it out I realize it was probably not that big of a deal so thank you for reading my AI E/N)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rick posted:

(in reality of typing it out I realize it was probably not that big of a deal so thank you for reading my AI E/N)

It's an awful sound when you crunch on top of a curb, isn't it? Fortunately, all that plastic is designed to flex and there's nothing too critical tucked up under there in most cases. Good job keeping a cool head and realizing that everything's basically okay.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you do it enough the curbs'll trim it back to where it clears, like trucks with a tree near the highway

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Now imagine hearing that sound constantly, even on perfectly smooth roads.

My kid and I had stopped at a percussion shop to look for cymbals and were just climbing out of the S2000 when we both jumped out of our skin at a HORRIBLE crunch-and-scrape. It was a beyond-slammed and cambered mid ‘00’s Accord on static lowering and every body panel was flexing and rattling. On basically what was a smooth parking lot entrance.

I would be stroking out with anxiety at every noise.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I can only take my stock civic in and out of the garage/alley in one direction because the other outlet has enough of a dip to scratch both bumpers

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Raluek posted:

yeah, all the ones where nobody lives, lol

isnt our own Trouser Chili a repo man?

I thought he was a reaper man

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Raluek posted:

isnt our own Trouser Chili a repo man?

don't know about that goon but I worked on a repo truck for 6 months between the BMW/mini shop and the Ford dealership

was fascinating getting to experience the dark crossroads of the automotive and financial industries but ended up being a pretty depressing gig overall

obviously there are some scrubs out there that don't pay their note but half of the orders were from title loan/cash advance places for people who were already having a pretty rough time already and then you're showing up to take their ride

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Rick posted:

I was reading this thread while in a parking spot at Sonic, ...

But still, loud noise; instant panic. ... I drive thinking some of the trim is going to fall off or that my tires are now out of alignment or my wheels are hosed, so I get to some place I know is safe a few feet away (but far enough away from the area where anyone who saw my blunder could see me) and inspect the vehicle. No apparent damage although the tires have scuff marks but seem to remain structurally sound. All the same I drive the mile home wondering with every bump if my car is in fact hosed because I can't afford to repair it if it is. Inspected it and everything looks fine.

This is terrible car stuff to me.

You beached the frame on the curb.

I beached an '06 Windstar, overloaded far over gross with people & luggage, driving over a concrete parking-lot stop. The sound was horrendous - but there was no damage.

IOW the sound's the worst part. Had you actually pranged something, it would show up in your front-end alignment (steering behaving slightly wonky)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

coupedeville posted:

don't know about that goon but I worked on a repo truck for 6 months between the BMW/mini shop and the Ford dealership

was fascinating getting to experience the dark crossroads of the automotive and financial industries but ended up being a pretty depressing gig overall

obviously there are some scrubs out there that don't pay their note but half of the orders were from title loan/cash advance places for people who were already having a pretty rough time already and then you're showing up to take their ride

It’s the guys who repo for the rent-to-own furniture scams that get the long stares after awhile

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Door Frame posted:

I can only take my stock civic in and out of the garage/alley in one direction because the other outlet has enough of a dip to scratch both bumpers

I'd be so tempted to pick up a cubic yard of gravel and do some guerilla roadwork one night.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thanks everyone.

PainterofCrap posted:

You beached the frame on the curb.

I beached an '06 Windstar, overloaded far over gross with people & luggage, driving over a concrete parking-lot stop. The sound was horrendous - but there was no damage.

IOW the sound's the worst part. Had you actually pranged something, it would show up in your front-end alignment (steering behaving slightly wonky)

Yeah in the light of day one of the tires is scuffed up which is slightly worrisome since I just replaced them last week but they are holding their pressure and there doesn’t seem to be any damage. These tires are just holding me over until my financial situation improves and I can get some new ones in a few months anyway.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A scuff is no biggie. They’re resilient. As long as it’s not a gouge or bubble you should be fine.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
when I was a dumb kid with my 77 granada slammed to the ground I went over a curb in a parking lot that still hurts when I think about how loud and shocking it was

no damage though !

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I drove up over a parking block once in my Swift GTi because I didn't notice it was there, that sure was something and it felt like I destroyed the car but it was fine

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I too have done the beach onto a parking lot stop. It was in the parking of a rehearsal studio that I had been parking in for years. Owner of building decided to add a row of painted lines and parking lot stops where there had been none and people had used to drive through/exit the lot. I auto-piloted my scion xb over the stop at at least 10-15mph. Was jarring and beached the car. Decided it was best to pull forward instead of backing up. Never saw any alignment issues or fluid losses so I guess I got lucky.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh hey thread!

Have you seen AI's latest gang tag?

Yes it's ours and II'll add any of the AI ones - Black Thumbs, RADL, The Pig Balls Site and No time with a Cat - to your avatar/ title if you post terrible car stuff that is NOT Tesla or a Cybertruck on 21-04-2024 (For whatever timezone you are in, not just mine)

No voting, it's if mod or IK thinks it's terrible, you get the AI tag of your choice - the absolute worst gets full new avatar / title of your choice with tags.

No qualifications, if it's terrible it's a deal!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What's the significance of the 21st?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

There isnt any, that seems like a good day to have a bit of fun:)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

If we allowed unsafe lifted trucks, Kei trucks should be accepted.

Also Kei trucks are 100% more useful than both

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

If we allowed unsafe lifted trucks, Kei trucks should be accepted.

Also Kei trucks are 100% more useful than both

In a lot of cases the kei truck will have more payload than a "3/4 ton" diesel. It doesn't have 22s, four doors, and 500hp/1100lb-ft tho.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

or hell, the mahindra roxor. i can ride a motorcycle, why the gently caress cant i drive a new-manufacture cj-2

e: i mean tbf the motorcycle is way less dangerous to other people, if not me. but still. im not getting an unseen gouranga on a whole class of fourth graders in either one

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 14, 2024

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey thread!

Have you seen AI's latest gang tag?

Yes it's ours and II'll add any of the AI ones - Black Thumbs, RADL, The Pig Balls Site and No time with a Cat - to your avatar/ title if you post terrible car stuff that is NOT Tesla or a Cybertruck on 21-04-2024 (For whatever timezone you are in, not just mine)

No voting, it's if mod or IK thinks it's terrible, you get the AI tag of your choice - the absolute worst gets full new avatar / title of your choice with tags.

No qualifications, if it's terrible it's a deal!

I would like the cat one, please.

Here's a terrible car thing:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

cursedshitbox posted:

In a lot of cases the kei truck will have more payload than a "3/4 ton" diesel. It doesn't have 22s, four doors, and 500hp/1100lb-ft tho.

I actually talked to a guy with a Kei car at cars and coffee today and he commented that he can’t fit as much in his big bad American truck as the Kei. He also said he once got it up to 70 on a highway but it was terrifying

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've never driven a Kei truck, but I've driven a few cab over hinos and while I can vouch fir the forward visibility and turning radius, I can tell you that every other pick up truck I've been in, from gmc 25-3500s, various Toyota tundra, rangers, fords of the f 2 and 350 variety has been infinitely more comfortable both loaded and unloaded, anywhere from marginally (single cab) to way more ("four door" but not crew cab) spacious and was much faster also loaded and unloaded. Which is nice for merging safely on the highway and fuel economy for the cab overs was worse because keeping up with traffic, going up steep hills while loaded and merging pretty much required the pedal to be glued to the floor. So much so I actually had problems with my right Achilles tendon for a while because I had to keep my foot at a weird angle to keep the poo poo floored just to get anywhere. God help the poor bastard who g
Has to sit in the middle seat in one of these things.
I understand that trucks these days don't need 5000 million horsepower and torque, that's just a dick waving contest, but given the choice, gently caress that poo poo. I'll take the fuckin pick up truck.

I guess I am weak and have a small dick because I enjoy comfort.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kei trucks are loving awful to drive don't let anyone kid you, they have no redeeming qualities whatsoever in terms of driving enjoyment or comfort.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MrLogan posted:

I would like the cat one, please.

Here's a terrible car thing:

I've driven a lowered Altima more offroad than this has ever been. Love that road noise though.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kei trucks are loving awful to drive don't let anyone kid you, they have no redeeming qualities whatsoever in terms of driving enjoyment or comfort.

True but it’s made up for in most every other metric. Fuel economy, maneuverability, bed versatility, load height, etc.

Plus everyone wants to chat about it when you’re out and about.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Kei trucks are cool as heck, especially for the 'around town and also drive right on my yard why not' level because not even the most pimped out side by side or whatever they poo poo they are called can compete with a tiny-rear end Honda cabover kei truck with a completely enclosed cab and AC. I would never take one out on the highway though, you are out of your goddamn mind.
I think they are quite fun to toss around simply because they weigh nothing, plenty of enjoyment to be had.
I do find it funny that you have an entire country, Japan, using these things to hold up a significant amount of their commerce yet everyone here in the USA goes "Oh just terrible, the worst". They have giant roads, high speed highways, all of it, yet they seem to be just fine. That we can't get the modern ones sucks.

Terrible Car stuff is that I can't have a brand new Jimny which fuckin' owned driving across the spine of Japan for two weeks. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yes but I need it for hauling things, not as a rolling palace of comfort.

I have another car for that. And still not a good reason to ban them over bro-trucka

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Why can't you have a Jimny? I wouldn't mind one if I were wealthy enough to have a second car just for having fun in off road.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ili posted:

Why can't you have a Jimny? I wouldn't mind one if I were wealthy enough to have a second car just for having fun in off road.

25 year rule in the US, anything newer than April 1999 is federally illegal for road use.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

I've never driven a Kei truck, but I've driven a few cab over hinos and while I can vouch fir the forward visibility and turning radius, I can tell you that every other pick up truck I've been in, from gmc 25-3500s, various Toyota tundra, rangers, fords of the f 2 and 350 variety has been infinitely more comfortable both loaded and unloaded, anywhere from marginally (single cab) to way more ("four door" but not crew cab) spacious and was much faster also loaded and unloaded. Which is nice for merging safely on the highway and fuel economy for the cab overs was worse because keeping up with traffic, going up steep hills while loaded and merging pretty much required the pedal to be glued to the floor. So much so I actually had problems with my right Achilles tendon for a while because I had to keep my foot at a weird angle to keep the poo poo floored just to get anywhere. God help the poor bastard who g
Has to sit in the middle seat in one of these things.
I understand that trucks these days don't need 5000 million horsepower and torque, that's just a dick waving contest, but given the choice, gently caress that poo poo. I'll take the fuckin pick up truck.

I guess I am weak and have a small dick because I enjoy comfort.

This is kind of my experience with multistop bread/cookie delivery vehicles.

I would rate them, overall, p/u and trailer->GM 1 ton van boxtruck->Ford 1 ton van box truck->Mitsubishi Futo->Isuzu NPR->GM 1 ton p/u boxtruck-------->Stepvan of any flavor.

P/u and trailer combine comfort and power, but suffer in maneuverability around town. Experience helps with backing and tight corners. The trailer is also low to the ground for loading/unloading without a dock (most customer locations have a ramp leading inside anyway). The trailer is also usually a smaller package when you unhook for the day.

The van cutaway box trucks are just as comfy as they are specced out to. An ex-Budget GM might not even have armrests or extendable mirrors. A new GM can have all the options of regular passenger van: leather seats, a stereo, cruise control, power everything.
The load floor is tall and the ramp can get to be a pain in the rear end without spring-assist. Outside of the bigger new Ford V-8s or older Mod V-10s, the GM 6.0 is more than enough to move the vehicle. GM vans are surprisingly nimble for their size, the Fords turn like a battleship. All of these things were made for decades, so repairs are fairly cheap and anyone can do a lot of the common ones. 200,000 miles is when major components start to fail. Max lifetime mileage is determined by how much you want to spend past that.

The forward control box trucks are great in confined spaces around town, but the ride is poo poo and the interiors are spartan. All the same tall box truck poo poo applies. I like the diesel Futos more than the Isuzu diesels, but the GM 6.0 gas Isuzu is just fine. poo poo does not usually break, but when it does, it's expensive. Regular maintenance is pricier per mile than a gasser GM or Ford, plus parts aren't as readily available. Keep up with them, and you can expect around 350,000 miles without major breakage. They'll keep on going until the heat-death of the universe if you can base-line 'em.

I can't say much about P/U cutaways, as they are much rarer in the US than Canada and Mexico. The two I drove were old and worn. I'm also tall enough to bonk my head on the box when exiting, despite a huge yellow warning sticker on either side. Great way to start the day. As good as the equivalent vans, maybe easier to service the engine.

gently caress a stepvan. The only one I drove worth a poo poo in my 20 year career was an International with Cummins/Allison drivetrain, bought and driven from new by a single owner. lovely seats, lovely engines, lovely electrics, lovely steering, manufacturer/upfitter specific parts, loud, hot, and supremely unsafe.

When you actually work out of a vehicle, every little thing about them is either an annoyance or a boon. Being able to hear yourself think is nice, being able to listen to the stereo is nicer, sitting in A/C feels great, heated seats are godly. Not breaking your back loading/unloading is definitely a wonderful thing. Knowing you won't get crushed against the dash or fly out the window in a collision does wonders for morale.

There are strengths and weaknesses to each, depending on the driving environment, but I'll take the P/U and trailer combo for most things.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Imperador do Brasil posted:

True but it’s made up for in most every other metric. Fuel economy, maneuverability, bed versatility, load height, etc.

Plus everyone wants to chat about it when you’re out and about.

As a NA Miata owner my overall plan is "do not get into a head on collision, or in fact any collision", which makes my car the safest car ever. I can't kill a family of 6 and burn their car to the ground for their offense of being hit by my car, but who's to say what they mean by "Safety Regulations"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

madeintaipei posted:

This is kind of my experience with multistop bread/cookie delivery vehicles.

I would rate them, overall, p/u and trailer->GM 1 ton van boxtruck->Ford 1 ton van box truck->Mitsubishi Futo->Isuzu NPR->GM 1 ton p/u boxtruck-------->Stepvan of any flavor.

P/u and trailer combine comfort and power, but suffer in maneuverability around town. Experience helps with backing and tight corners. The trailer is also low to the ground for loading/unloading without a dock (most customer locations have a ramp leading inside anyway). The trailer is also usually a smaller package when you unhook for the day.

The van cutaway box trucks are just as comfy as they are specced out to. An ex-Budget GM might not even have armrests or extendable mirrors. A new GM can have all the options of regular passenger van: leather seats, a stereo, cruise control, power everything.
The load floor is tall and the ramp can get to be a pain in the rear end without spring-assist. Outside of the bigger new Ford V-8s or older Mod V-10s, the GM 6.0 is more than enough to move the vehicle. GM vans are surprisingly nimble for their size, the Fords turn like a battleship. All of these things were made for decades, so repairs are fairly cheap and anyone can do a lot of the common ones. 200,000 miles is when major components start to fail. Max lifetime mileage is determined by how much you want to spend past that.

The forward control box trucks are great in confined spaces around town, but the ride is poo poo and the interiors are spartan. All the same tall box truck poo poo applies. I like the diesel Futos more than the Isuzu diesels, but the GM 6.0 gas Isuzu is just fine. poo poo does not usually break, but when it does, it's expensive. Regular maintenance is pricier per mile than a gasser GM or Ford, plus parts aren't as readily available. Keep up with them, and you can expect around 350,000 miles without major breakage. They'll keep on going until the heat-death of the universe if you can base-line 'em.

I can't say much about P/U cutaways, as they are much rarer in the US than Canada and Mexico. The two I drove were old and worn. I'm also tall enough to bonk my head on the box when exiting, despite a huge yellow warning sticker on either side. Great way to start the day. As good as the equivalent vans, maybe easier to service the engine.

gently caress a stepvan. The only one I drove worth a poo poo in my 20 year career was an International with Cummins/Allison drivetrain, bought and driven from new by a single owner. lovely seats, lovely engines, lovely electrics, lovely steering, manufacturer/upfitter specific parts, loud, hot, and supremely unsafe.

When you actually work out of a vehicle, every little thing about them is either an annoyance or a boon. Being able to hear yourself think is nice, being able to listen to the stereo is nicer, sitting in A/C feels great, heated seats are godly. Not breaking your back loading/unloading is definitely a wonderful thing. Knowing you won't get crushed against the dash or fly out the window in a collision does wonders for morale.

There are strengths and weaknesses to each, depending on the driving environment, but I'll take the P/U and trailer combo for most things.

I don't know what it's like being a delivery dude, but driving to the site, getting beat up by every pothole and bump extra bad because you're sitting above or in front of the front axle, then spending several hours doing labour in all weather conditions except for thunder and lightning, then driving back to the shop after that once again getting beaten soundly by every bump in the road really sucks. The hino 338 I usually drive that's bigger heavier and has stiffer springs is a better ride than the fuckin cab overs I've had to deal with. I'll still take a pick up if I have the choice. gently caress it. I'm weak with a small long. I don't give a gently caress.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

I don't know what it's like being a delivery dude, but driving to the site, getting beat up by every pothole and bump extra bad because you're sitting above or in front of the front axle, then spending several hours doing labour in all weather conditions except for thunder and lightning, then driving back to the shop after that once again getting beaten soundly by every bump in the road really sucks. The hino 338 I usually drive that's bigger heavier and has stiffer springs is a better ride than the fuckin cab overs I've had to deal with. I'll still take a pick up if I have the choice. gently caress it. I'm weak with a small long. I don't give a gently caress.

It's that, but shorter intervals of less heavy work.

Wake between midnight-0130, drive to depot. Back up and unload empty trays and stale from truck. Yank all your product over to your door, arrange by store, load in order. Drive to 1st store, unload, pull stale, check in product/check out stale (tip stacks of product while the receiver scans it), work product and backstock, arrange backstock, load empties, repeat for other stops. It's a lot of pushing and pulling stacks of product on wheels, bending over, reaching for poo poo, and stacking poo poo. Work for a 30min-an hour, drove 10-20 min. Wash, rinse, and repeat until the day is done.

Nothing is all that heavy. The worst is backing down a ramp with 150-250 lb of poo poo in front of you. Lots of bending over, working on your knees, and reaching to the back of shelves.

Bouncing around on top of the axle, sweating your rear end off, and slowly going deaf between stops makes for a very dull boy. That's important for job satisfaction and, you know, doing the customer service part of the work.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

As a NA Miata owner my overall plan is "do not get into a head on collision, or in fact any collision", which makes my car the safest car ever. I can't kill a family of 6 and burn their car to the ground for their offense of being hit by my car, but who's to say what they mean by "Safety Regulations"

That holds true even up through the ND lol, got rear-ended in traffic and the guy nearly mounted my trunk and mushed me. gently caress brotrucks and gently caress people who don't pay attention to traffic and are instead buried nose-deep in their distraction obelisks.

Of course dude who hit me backed up and hauled rear end while I was recovering from the shock of nearly dying, and I had to spend 4 hours on the side of a very busy highway waiting for a flatbed while praying some distracted idiot didn't swerve onto the shoulder and finish the job. Still love that car and would absolutely buy another one again, only disappointment is it had <5 months of payments left when it got mushed, so I didn't even get to enjoy not having a car payment on a relatively modern vehicle.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 15, 2024

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

orange juche posted:

Still love that car and would absolutely buy another one again, only disappointment is it had <5 months of payments left when it got mushed, so I didn't even get to enjoy not having a car payment on a relatively modern vehicle.

I got rear-ended in a box truck by a kid driving a tuned up and lowered to the ground 240SX. He bent my step bumper all the way forward under the box, folding what was left of his hood in half and mashing the top mount radiator through the top of the engine. After physically lifting him from standing between our vehicles on a busy road, assessing his injuries (slight cut under the chin from the seatbelt), and giving him a hug, he says, "Man, I just bought that car."

I couldn't resist.

"Considering the huge pool of rusty water all over the road, you might have saved yourself some money crashing now instead of later."

He took it well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I drove a few of them when I was a lot younger as work vehicles so I agree - and add kei vehicles are just diabolical also with crash safety, chassis dynamics, brakes etc.

That saaaaaaaid, I'd rather have kei cars / trucks than the current crop of big gently caress off SUV's and Brodozers. Kei are dangerous IMO to the driver but SUV's and especially Bro-dozers are more dangerous to everyone else which to me is worse. A lot worse. And I wouldnt exactly say those turds are that much better dynamically, plus the size and weight arms race manufacturers seem to be engaging in makes being a pedestrian or cyclist more risky, let alone if you have a vehicle that isnt a hulking slab.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

I got rear-ended in a box truck by a kid driving a tuned up and lowered to the ground 240SX. He bent my step bumper all the way forward under the box, folding what was left of his hood in half and mashing the top mount radiator through the top of the engine. After physically lifting him from standing between our vehicles on a busy road, assessing his injuries (slight cut under the chin from the seatbelt), and giving him a hug, he says, "Man, I just bought that car."

I couldn't resist.

"Considering the huge pool of rusty water all over the road, you might have saved yourself some money crashing now instead of later."

He took it well.

Oh no, mine was well maintained, bought it new off the showroom floor with 25 miles on it, and it got serviced every 5k like clockwork, and never missed any recommended maintenance, and kept it in a climate controlled garage. It definitely was not some clapped out and slammed fartbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

orange juche posted:

Oh no, mine was well maintained, bought it new off the showroom floor with 25 miles on it, and it got serviced every 5k like clockwork, and never missed any recommended maintenance, and kept it in a climate controlled garage. It definitely was not some clapped out and slammed fartbox.

It was exactly what you wanted, how you wanted it, and "fate" took it away despite your best efforts. Same with the kid.

More the feeling than the fact.