Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn't The Flintsones also air on prime time for a bit back in the day (it literally started off as Animated Stone Age The Honeymooners after all, I think some of the really early episodes even had laugh tracks)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Didn't The Flintsones also air on prime time for a bit back in the day (it literally started off as Animated Stone Age The Honeymooners after all, I think some of the really early episodes even had laugh tracks)?

Everything Hanna-Barbera produced had a laugh track, a tacit admission that they knew it all wasn't funny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Madurai posted:

Everything Hanna-Barbera produced had a laugh track, a tacit admission that they knew it all wasn't funny.

When did they stop doing that out of curiosity?

Flintstones also had a narrator that went away early on as well (or at least they did for one episode)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 13, 2024

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not really sure why original TV animation seems to slump from even its relatively low height in the 70s. My instinct is maybe the glut of theatrical animation flooding the market after the final demise of almost all the big theatrical animation companies (or rather big movie studios shuttering their animation divisions and selling off the libraries). I think there was some kind of legal regulation in America against advertising directly to children, but I can't really find something specific. I did find some mentions of an advocacy group that worked to ban violent cartoons and claimed credit for shutting down a bunch of superhero stuff?

Yeah, I think the activist group you are talking about is 'Action For Children's Television' led by Peggy Charren. I've seen this specific organization mentioned a lot by people who worked in animation or have looked into its history as one of the main forces that stripped away anything remotely edgy from TV animation that helped make it so flat during the 70s, with the influence dying away during the 80s and 90s.

In fairness, some of ACT's positions sound reasonable in terms of advertising on kids programming and the provision of educational tv, and unfortunately those positive things were also reversed during the Reagan years. Of course, softening that kind of censorship was what allowed much more memorable cartoons to exist later on, I'd say Peggy Charren probably would not have approved of something like Ed, Edd 'n Eddy in the slightest!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1983/10/22/the-new-war-on-kids-tv/d931c745-8938-4953-a0d5-840fb875eb9d/

Its interesting reading this WP article from the early 80s where they are bemoaning the shift away from heavy censorship and treat 70s animation as some kind of golden era lol.

Larryb posted:

When did they stop doing that out of curiosity?

Flintstones also had a narrator that went away early on as well

It would have to be the Simpsons right? That was the next attempt, after Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, at primetime animated sitcoms, and much more successful. It was also one of the first major American sitcoms to not use a laugh track, which I think had proven to be almost totally unworkable in an animated format.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I could have sworn the laugh track eventually went away in the later episodes of Hanna-Barbera’s early stuff as well (or at the very least it got stripped out during reruns)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think by the time the Simpsons came around (which I agree is one of the first big adult-targeted animated series to not use a laugh track, and obviously the one that was the biggest hit, so everyone copied it), there had been things like DuckTales and the other higher-aiming Disney Afternoon shows that indicated TV animation could treat its audience like a film audience rather than a TV variety show with a bunch of live humans in the studio bleachers being shown a LAUGH sign. Feels like a shift from "we are guiding our viewers through an experience that we control" to "we are creating a work that must stand or fall on its own merits, divorced from the medium in which it's shown to them" or something like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

khwarezm posted:

Something I was just thinking about, in light of how things like 80s and 70s anime or 40s and 50s Hollywood animated shorts have a ton of retro and historic appeal, are there any 70s and early 80s American television cartoons that are actually, like... good? (I'm being kind to things like Transformers to specify early 80s lol)

I hate to sound like an rear end in a top hat for stuff people put work into but whenever I see cartoons from that era it just seems like it was an absolute nadir for the entire field of animation and there was no space for anyone to do anything interesting, none of the shows from that era seem to be remembered today for their actual qualities.

Call me one of those fans of Star Trek The Animated Series, it's basically the continuation of TOS. And I'm pretty sure it's canon. Yesteryear is pretty much Spock's canon origin. (moreso than any of his adopted siblings should be)

The original Johnny Quest is pretty wild. A ridiculous body count for one.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Call me one of those fans of Star Trek The Animated Series, it's basically the continuation of TOS. And I'm pretty sure it's canon. Yesteryear is pretty much Spock's canon origin. (moreso than any of his adopted siblings should be)

The 90's series was also pretty brutal. The one with the fish monsters had a bunch of people die and quite brutally off-camera.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Semi-relatedly, I watched a documentary about the downfall of tv animation jobs in the west in the late 70s and early 80s, where most of the actual animation was leaving for Asian studios. But I had a hard time mustering much sympathy because this is a case where the shows being done in California were at such a low level of quality that in a lot of cases outsourcing actually improved the shows.

Probably because Japan already had a large amount of highly trained animators who were doing better work on domestic productions. I can't think of another industry that sent work overseas to a workforce that was already highly skilled at that type of work. In the vfx industry studios have been trying to send all the work to India for decades but they have to train the crews up from scratch because India doesn't have its own movies with Hollywood-quality vfx.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 14, 2024

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ccs posted:

Semi-relatedly, I watched a documentary about the downfall of tv animation jobs in the west in the late 70s and early 80s, where most of the actual animation was leaving for Asian studios. But I had a hard time mustering much sympathy because this is a case where the shows being done in California were at such a low level of quality that in a lot of cases outsourcing actually improved the shows.

Probably because Japan already had a large amount of highly trained animators who were doing better work on domestic productions. I can't think of another industry that sent work overseas to a workforce that was already highly skilled at that type of work. In the vfx industry studios have been trying to send all the work to India for decades but they have to train the crews up from scratch because India doesn't have its own movies with Hollywood-quality vfx.

The rub of that, though, is that the quality went up and the comparative cost of animation went down as well so it was win-win and likely a matter of time anyways. Japanese animation now is even doing their own outsourcing to places like the Philippines and SE Asia because the quality is sufficient enough there that they can ship labor over at a cost lower than Japanese animators now call for.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I AM GRANDO posted:

There are good character designs for Thundaar and some of the other Hanna-Barbera shows of that time. Blackstar and He-Man had good designs too. It’s just that all the actual animation is cut-rate garbage.

Didn't he have a double-show with the Herculoids?

I had a glow in the dark Gleep* toy as a kid that went with me through half a dozen homes. Loved that stupid thing.

* or maybe it was Gloop

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

khwarezm posted:

Most of these are late 80s though, you know? Things were starting to pick up and leading into the 90s being probably the best decade of American animation since the rise of television.

I just think that the 70s in particular leading into the early 80s was such a dead zone, like almost a bit depressing how low quality and disposable the stuff being made was.
Hanna Barbera was probably not doing their best work in that period, either.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's funny that that old, unfathomably terrible style of animation survived to the modern day through Adult Swim, first through shows like Sealab and Space Ghost Coast to Coast literally reusing footage then Aqua Teen and Harvey Birdman etc keeping up that style in part as well.

I'm not sure anyone has gone back to it otherwise, I think it will completely die with Adult Swim because no-one else actually liked it enough/was literally forced to use it in order to be influenced by it in the modern day. Not even in the early days of amateur flash animation did people use it as their influence.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've always been kind of fascinated by how every studio trying to maintain a budget outside the theatrical/feature world invented its own form of limited animation, from Clutch Cargo to anime to UPA to ATHF to "this is an ARM, drawn by NOBODY, it is worth NOTHING", but H-B and Tom & Jerry was the progenitor of all those and somehow survived as a thru-line through all those iterations even to the point where Zorak once said "NOBODY moves much in a Hanna-Barbera cartoon".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Data Graham posted:

Clutch Cargo

gently caress that style. So loving creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN0vMgE0t3o&t=5s

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Who thought that was a good idea? wtf

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You can watch the whole series on YouTube and it just gets worse.

The mouths are all so red and damp.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Hanna Barbera was probably not doing their best work in that period, either.

It wasn't very good, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hannah-Barbera was the most successful TV animation company in America in the 70s. I'm not really sure if you could get conclusive data on it, but just looking at the list of Hanna-Barbera cartoons, there's so much they put out in the 70s, and much of it I actually recognize compared to what I see in like DePatie-Freleng, Rankin/Bass, or Filmation. Part of that is because when Hanna-Barbera was bought by Turner and remade into Cartoon Network, they designed their programming schedule to dive into everything that Hanna-Barbera did, but also the impression I get when I look at HB's library is that they must've been having some kind of success with Laff-a-Lympics because they kept hammering down on that premise with Yogi's Space Race and Yogi's Treasure Hunt. They don't really seem like the result of a company on the rocks.

And then the 80s hit and the companies that survived the 70s have tons of work, often still relevant. Some companies come out of nowhere, like Sunbow Entertainment, which started the whole toy commerical cartoon trend, some came out from working in film and specials to make regular TV shows like Murakami-Wolf and Raph Bakshi, some branched out from overseas; anime hadn't fully crossed the pond yet, but DIC Entertainment finally made the jump, and got Canadian Nelvana into the US market in the process.

I like the spoof The Incredibles did of that in a DVD extra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRWpQjdwdB0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Filmation style basically is what happens when you want to have relatively realistic human figures who look and move like humans on fuckall budget, rather than having more stylised cartoon characters who also happen to have designs made for animation shortcuts. (Yogi Bear wears a collar and tie because it makes animating him turning his head easier, and that's just the start) It pretty much stayed there for a few reasons, mostly that it was more trouble than it's worth if you actually care about making animation look interesting and have a budget to speak of, and even kids can tell it's cheap. Adult Swim revels in it for those exact reasons, since a lot of the subversive themes also involved loving around with the trappings of animation itself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t Filmation also not have a huge budget for voice actors or was that just the case for He-Man and She-Ra?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Filmation style basically is what happens when you want to have relatively realistic human figures who look and move like humans on fuckall budget, rather than having more stylised cartoon characters who also happen to have designs made for animation shortcuts. (Yogi Bear wears a collar and tie because it makes animating him turning his head easier, and that's just the start) It pretty much stayed there for a few reasons, mostly that it was more trouble than it's worth if you actually care about making animation look interesting and have a budget to speak of, and even kids can tell it's cheap. Adult Swim revels in it for those exact reasons, since a lot of the subversive themes also involved loving around with the trappings of animation itself.

It's like that time Bart bought an Itchy and Scratchy animation cel and it was just an arm.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

khwarezm posted:

I sort of find the year 1970 itself to be a cutoff point, before that there's something to say about some of the shows they made even though you can absolutely see the limitations they were working under, so things like the Flintstones or whatever were much more script focused. Scooby-Doo's original run ended in 1970 I think?

Afterward the cookie cutter nature of these shows, lack of budget and seemingly near total lack of effort and passion really shines through, you see something like The Roman Holidays and its painfully obvious it was just running the Jetsons/Flintstones format even further into the ground. The superhero shows like The New Adventures of Batman or Superfriends just don't seem to have anything to them, even compared to the shoestring budgets earlier series based on the same characters had, its kind of amazing to watch this stuff in terms of just how hollow it all seems, and the fact that tv animation went from this to things like BTAS in the space of about a decade is even more amazing.

One of the things that prompted me to ask about this was the show Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, which I find kind of fascinating as an attempt to make a primetime animated sitcom not directed at kids with no standards, and accordingly had a little bit more effort put into things like voice acting, animation and the script than you otherwise saw. Not that I'd say it really holds up still, the canned laughter is especially badly aged, but some of the scenes are interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4jBnFL8naE

Wait Till Your Father Gets Home is weird to me because I was pretty sure it was a fever dream for years and years until the internet started making it easier to look up poo poo like that. I saw it on a pre-[adult swim] late-night block on Cartoon Network, and had the theme song stuck in my head for years.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They reference TAS a couple times in Lower Decks, which is canon, so it's likely canonized at this point. It wasn't for a while though, iirc.

doomrider7 posted:

The 90's series was also pretty brutal. The one with the fish monsters had a bunch of people die and quite brutally off-camera.

The CG in QuestWorld or whatever it was called always freaked me out; it was uncanny, even for 90s CGI.

Neito fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 14, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Neito posted:

Wait Till Your Father Gets Home is weird to me because I was pretty sure it was a fever dream for years and years until the internet started making it easier to look up poo poo like that. I saw it on a pre-[adult swim] late-night block on Cartoon Network, and had the theme song stuck in my head for years.

They reference TAS a couple times in Lower Decks, which is canon, so it's likely canonized at this point. It wasn't for a while though, iirc.

The CG in QuestWorld or whatever it was called always freaked me out; it was uncanny, even for 90s CGI.

Same. I remember watching episodes of EONS ago on old CN same for a huge chunk of the stuff on that Hanna Barbera link.

Reminder that I need to watch lower decks.

The CG didn't actually bother me, but a lot of the episodes were legit nightmare fuel like the pianist one, the black pearl one, or that...thing whatever the gently caress it was that could mimic peoples heads and voices. You know the one. Ironically I REALLY did not do well with horror movies as a kid, but those never bothered me.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

doomrider7 posted:

Same. I remember watching episodes of EONS ago on old CN same for a huge chunk of the stuff on that Hanna Barbera link.

Reminder that I need to watch lower decks.

The CG didn't actually bother me, but a lot of the episodes were legit nightmare fuel like the pianist one, the black pearl one, or that...thing whatever the gently caress it was that could mimic peoples heads and voices. You know the one. Ironically I REALLY did not do well with horror movies as a kid, but those never bothered me.

Lower Decks is divisive among Trek fans; some feel it's a celebration of the series, making the kind of jokes they've been making for years, and some feel it's mocking the series.

The CGI Quest World stuff was nightmare fuel for me at least in part because there just weren't a lot of CGI cartoons back then, and I think I saw one of the freakier episodes first, which poisoned the whole thing for me.

Plus, kid brain tends to make weird things into horror fuel, like that one episode of Punky Brewster, or the Castlevania 2 cover of issue like, 3 or 4 of Nintendo Power.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neito posted:

Lower Decks is divisive among Trek fans; some feel it's a celebration of the series, making the kind of jokes they've been making for years, and some feel it's mocking the series.

The CGI Quest World stuff was nightmare fuel for me at least in part because there just weren't a lot of CGI cartoons back then, and I think I saw one of the freakier episodes first, which poisoned the whole thing for me.

Plus, kid brain tends to make weird things into horror fuel, like that one episode of Punky Brewster, or the Castlevania 2 cover of issue like, 3 or 4 of Nintendo Power.

The Punky Brewster where she gets stuck in a refrigerator or the Punky Brewster where one of her friends gets merged with a rock and calls out for help?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funnily enough, one of the complaints about the new ATHF season is that it's actually animated competently.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Punky Brewster where she gets stuck in a refrigerator or the Punky Brewster where one of her friends gets merged with a rock and calls out for help?

The latter.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
When Family Guy first came out, I thought it was a remake of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, which I also thought was a fever dream because I only saw a couple episodes of it on Cartoon Network as a child.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That nintendo power cover ruled

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

That nintendo power cover ruled

I love it now, but it hits different when you're 7 and never really experienced horror movies before.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Neito posted:

I wouldn't say my problem with Lower Decks is that it mocks the series, the writers clearly love Star Trek, and they love TNG era Trek especially.

The one issue I have with the show it that it kind of beats you round the head with the references sometimes, not like Family Guy cutaway level, but not exactly subtle, and it can take me out of the world a bit that everyone knows the ins and outs of the plot of, like, Data's Day or Sub Rosa in-universe sometimes

But, its generally a fun light show with good characters- the senior staff are always fun to see- and it's on the better end of modern Trek for sure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hanna-Barbera did take one last shot at a prime time cartoon in 1982, and it bombed hard. Jokebook. No plots, kind of a sketch show format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7EedgbrAIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdCynP_fakg

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Watched Scavengers Reign, liked it a bunch but I don't think it needed the sequel hook.

Also really annoyed at Sam just use your words when weird poo poo happens to you, don't just keep going like nothing happened

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's funny that that old, unfathomably terrible style of animation survived to the modern day through Adult Swim, first through shows like Sealab and Space Ghost Coast to Coast literally reusing footage then Aqua Teen and Harvey Birdman etc keeping up that style in part as well.

I'm not sure anyone has gone back to it otherwise, I think it will completely die with Adult Swim because no-one else actually liked it enough/was literally forced to use it in order to be influenced by it in the modern day. Not even in the early days of amateur flash animation did people use it as their influence.

i mean that to me is part of the joke. like carl runs like 3 runs times and its all over women.

Ccs posted:

yeah basicaly animation post disney dying and up intil 80s kinda sucked poo poo. alot of western animations out sourced to japan for anything good. rankin bass used them exclusivly for all their classics. hell i am pretty sure alot of stuid gibblies intial teams were made up of the people who made the last unicorn for rankin bass which was their last big animted movie before the company imploded. still one of the best animated movies out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxoJLJx-mJw good movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Data Graham posted:

I'll cop to looking past that part yeah, but it is drat difficult to do.

Fuckin Gary is the least cool person in the cast, he is not charming and should not have gotten Quinn's attention any more than Fry should ever have gotten Leela's

I don't know enough about Final Space to try and defend Gary, but I've watched enough Futurama to be willing to go to bat for Fry and Leela as a couple. Fry and Leela like a lot of the same stuff, are always supporting each other, and are on the same career path. They're a good match and work will together, the writers just decided to drag out the "will they won't they" subplot way too long

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Know what deservered better?

Bravestarr

It had great toys too.

Of all the things Filmation worked on, this might have been the greatest.

Animation wise it was a big jump over their previous works.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TaurusTorus posted:

Watched Scavengers Reign, liked it a bunch but I don't think it needed the sequel hook.

Also really annoyed at Sam just use your words when weird poo poo happens to you, don't just keep going like nothing happened

I mean, it depends on what you're talking about. It's entirely possible that he wasn't able to think normal when the LATER weird poo poo happened to him, which made it harder for him to go "Hey, there's a chance something weird might be happening to me."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An Taoiseach posted:

I wouldn't say my problem with Lower Decks is that it mocks the series, the writers clearly love Star Trek, and they love TNG era Trek especially.

The one issue I have with the show it that it kind of beats you round the head with the references sometimes, not like Family Guy cutaway level, but not exactly subtle, and it can take me out of the world a bit that everyone knows the ins and outs of the plot of, like, Data's Day or Sub Rosa in-universe sometimes

But, its generally a fun light show with good characters- the senior staff are always fun to see- and it's on the better end of modern Trek for sure.

If anything, it's too gentle. Starfleet is consistently presented as noble and capable of rising to any challenge, at least in the ones I've seen. It's like the kind of comedy show that the federation would produce in-universe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

If anything, it's too gentle. Starfleet is consistently presented as noble and capable of rising to any challenge, at least in the ones I've seen. It's like the kind of comedy show that the federation would produce in-universe.

Eh, it is nice to have a modern Trek that actually tries to keep the idealism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean, it depends on what you're talking about. It's entirely possible that he wasn't able to think normal when the LATER weird poo poo happened to him, which made it harder for him to go "Hey, there's a chance something weird might be happening to me."

I did take this as totally typical I'M FINE toxic masculinity bullshit, not alien brain worms bullshit.