Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SlimGoodbody posted:

Oh yeah, once you have a better sense of what you can do in this game, you can get absolutely stupid with it. In my own personal playthrough that I started more recently after watching my wife's character get to Act 3, Dror didn't swing his hammer a single time. All the goblin minions caught a lightning bolt on round 1 and Dror Ragzlin got slammed to the mat and stabbed by hasted Karlach, Lae'zel, and my rogue over and over for the only two rounds the fight lasted. RIP Dror Ragzlin: died at the foot of his own throne.

My first time encountering him my Dragonborn fighter shoved him into a chasm first turn, by accident. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Monks should be able to do the backbreaker that Aylin does after you beat Lorroakan, they're already probably too good (not complaining) so why not let me have Halsin and Minsc just suplexing dudes all over

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
its absurd that a 90 hour playthrough can feel like a warm up to the actual second dark urge playthrough

the anti-suicide robot in the arcane tower jesus christ :smith:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

spent a while thinking about how i was going to do the inquisitor fight. between mindsteal link and the mind-claw of tu'narath, any kind of straight up fight seemed out of the question. i couldn't kill him in one turn, and I couldn't prone lock him from turn 1. as soon as I hit him, I would get disadvantage from the swords, and once he took his turn, my ac would get sapped and his would get boosted, and I just wasn't going to win that between the inquisitor and his cronies. i knew i couldn't out-maneuver them because they all have gith misty step and enhanced leap. what I had going for me was, since I had saved the fight for last, I was a level 7 barbarian with 16 dex, and so I could count on going first and doing lots of damage. I also had bought a conjure minor elemental scroll to summon some damage sponges along with shovel and connor, but that also wasn't going to turn the odds much in my favor in a straight up fight, even if I popped one of my few precious haste scrolls.

i had to hard counter mindsteal link and mindclaws somehow, and I settled on foregoing rage in favor of dipping into a haste scroll and all the invisibility potions I hoarded in case of needing to emergency bail from fights: with a precast haste, I would still get three attacks per round before going invisible again, which should let me kill him in two or three rounds, hopefully before all the sponges died. i presummoned two ice mephits with the scroll so I could cover the ground in ice and use disintegrating night walker boots' ice immunity to give myself a small mobility advantage. it very nearly didn't work. the gith took out all the summons in only two rounds and even with a luck of the far realms crit I couldn't kill him in two, so combat ended, but i desperately managed to eke out a final manual pike throw to kill W'wargaz just before he could use the stupid out of combat heal. then I raged and easily wasted the other gith.

in the end, not a particularly inspiring strategy, but it was fun to think out and execute. solo hm barbarian goes to act 2. :toot:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That’s badass. I can’t imagine doing solo hm :patriot: I was real worried about the Inquisitor fight only to end up steamrolling his rear end in one round (with a full party obviously).

Also I need to get better at invisibility. I swear to god every time I use any invis effect and move away, some jabroni magically beelines to my new location and pops detecting presence, wasting it.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

im trying honor mode for my durge playthrough which is my second overall. last played through acts 1 anx 2 when the game came out so this is extremely stressful. weird how honor mode encourages the exact opposite! should I go down to tactician ? Is this going to end in tragedy?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

im trying honor mode for my durge playthrough which is my second overall. last played through acts 1 anx 2 when the game came out so this is extremely stressful. weird how honor mode encourages the exact opposite! should I go down to tactician ? Is this going to end in tragedy?

You can always drop to tactician if you fail so might as well try it

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

SlimGoodbody posted:

See when I first started playing this with my wife we tried the rafters thing, and Ragzlin simply ran up the ladder and easily threw everyone off to their deaths who hadn't already been greased and drilled by the caster goblins below.

i just pushed him into the spider pit

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

pthighs posted:

I love the idea of Grym being curious about this cute little kitten that somehow found her way down into his lava forge. He just wanted to help!

Well, if by "help" you mean "Immediately try and stomp them into a pile of mush", sure!

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Kicking myself for not turning off auto updates on steam. Recent patch screwed up something with the wasd mod (game is utterly unplayable without that and the camera tweaks mod imo). Rolled back to the earlier script extender as suggested in the nexus thread. Didn't work. Instead of waiting for an update, I uninstalled all my mods and bg itself. Then reinstalled. Now all my mods work in a new game, but when I try to open my saved game (at least halfway through act 3 in my guesstimation), it won't load and I get a popup saying "different mod settings- the following mods were enabled on save, but are now disabled [insert list of 10 mods]."

The problem is that I do have all those mods installed and enabled. Which is why they all work on a new save. But I'm very worried that I've bricked my old saves. I like the game, but not enough to play through the whole thing again just to finish bringing everyone in the realms into the loving, narcotic embrace of mother Shar, which is where my first campaign seemed to be heading.

Posting here in hopes of that tried-and-true "whine about it on the Internet and it fixes itself" magic coming through for me again.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 15, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

McCloud posted:

Yeah there's at least one big astarion related sidequest in act 2 and if you don't do it he gets kind of pissy at you. Kinda like how Shart gets mad if you do the whole temple/spear thing without having her in the party.

Yeah, I realize that was the problem now. Any chance I can rectify it by bringing him to meet Raphael in that hotel in Baldur's Gate in Act 3? Or is the Astarion arc pretty much ruined? If so, I might just take a break and come back to a new game later.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 15, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I realize that was the problem now. Any chance I can rectify it by bringing him to meet Raphael in that hotel in Baldur's Gate in Act 3? Or is the Astarion arc pretty much ruined? If so, I might just take a break and come back to a new game later.

There's a camp event in Act 3 as well as a couple of morons that you'll meet pretty early on at Fraygo's Flophouse that will move the story forward.

You also don't need to do anything. You can just take Astarion to Cazador's place in Act 3 and pick up the quest from there.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 15, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

grack posted:

There's a camp event in Act 3 as well as a couple of morons that you'll meet pretty early on at Fraygo's Flophouse that will move the story forward.

Gotcha. This isn't my first playthrough, I just hadn't realized I would have ruined my game by not having him in my party in that exact moment in Act 2. My plan was to prevent Astarion from ascending, and have all the dudes go to the underdark so I was worried that wouldn't be possible now.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You should still be able to do all that stuff. I didn’t use him at all pretty much my first run and still did his big act 3 storyline.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All of that happens anyway if you never bring him anywhere at all. Although he does get a little pissed that you didn't bring him to his big climax and never gave him a choice.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Nihonniboku posted:

Gotcha. This isn't my first playthrough, I just hadn't realized I would have ruined my game by not having him in my party in that exact moment in Act 2. My plan was to prevent Astarion from ascending, and have all the dudes go to the underdark so I was worried that wouldn't be possible now.

Yeah it won't matter I didn't have him with at all and got that outcome.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Another update from me, the world’s slowest gamer.

Just got to the spider cave below the goblin camp in Act 1. I chatted with goblins and somehow they are chill with me walking around. But I went exploring and found the spiders and am now fighting the matriarch. It’s a fun fight how she keeps spawning lil babies from eggs. Was trying to figure out a way to sneak up and kill the extra spiders before engaging with the momma spider but didn’t find anything so far. Will try the fight again tomorrow.

This is a fun game :)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Just got to the spider cave below the goblin camp in Act 1. I chatted with goblins and somehow they are chill with me walking around. But I went exploring and found the spiders and am now fighting the matriarch. It’s a fun fight how she keeps spawning lil babies from eggs. Was trying to figure out a way to sneak up and kill the extra spiders before engaging with the momma spider but didn’t find anything so far. Will try the fight again tomorrow.

you can stop her doing that by shooting the eggs with a bow from stealth before initiating. the phase spiders can't easily be killed without aggroing her.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Little Kielbasa posted:

it won't load and I get a popup saying "different mod settings- the following mods were enabled on save, but are now disabled [insert list of 10 mods]."
this usually means the export is different, if you're lucky just restarting the manager and hitting Export to Game again fixes it

if the game actually loads with that error message you can also try disabling and enabling the mods afterwards

also also never update big mods like 5e spells, they always gently caress up the export

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Those webs look quite perilous and falling damage is a thing. Also be sure to find the blacksmith's recipe before you go to the underdark.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Funny thing happened when I fought the spider matriarch.

I engaged combat as I was in the act of destroying one of the web bridges with a melee attack so when I went into turn based mode I saw my Dragonborn fighter moving to the web bridge at the same time the matriarch dashed to get across it and then fall and take a massive hit of damage on impact below. And then either got immobilized somehow or bugged and made the encounter really easy. Also got the acheev for no eggs spawning hatchlings!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Nihonniboku posted:

None of the Act II Astarion stuff really matters long run. You can still do his act III big quest. You may have to convince him to stay if you really piss him off. But you can still do the culmination.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

grack
Jan 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0FECmifHyk&t=395s

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ah yeah, my honor mode run has finally started it hit the critical mass. My team is finally getting online. Finally got to level 6, and the power spike is crazy.

My durge is a dual hand crossbow swords bard with the +dex clothing, acid damage on weapon hit, and dagger of mountain king for some more critical. 1d6+7 four times and an off-hand hit is wild. And I'm going full parasite build, so each hit has cull the weak to really go nuts.

My shadowheart is going on a radiating orb build. It has felt a bit weak until level 6. With two divinity charges, it is incredibly easy to give multiple enemies 10 radiating orb while dealing decent AoE damage. I'm still in Act 1, so the build really pops off in Act 2.

Wyll and Lae'zel are just standard pure warlock and fighter. Hunger of Hadar to shut down ranged enemies. Lae'zel is just a beat stick. I'll probably switch lae'zel for Minthara in act 2.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shwqa posted:

Ah yeah, my honor mode run has finally started it hit the critical mass. My team is finally getting online. Finally got to level 6, and the power spike is crazy.

My durge is a dual hand crossbow swords bard with the +dex clothing, acid damage on weapon hit, and dagger of mountain king for some more critical. 1d6+7 four times and an off-hand hit is wild. And I'm going full parasite build, so each hit has cull the weak to really go nuts.

My shadowheart is going on a radiating orb build. It has felt a bit weak until level 6. With two divinity charges, it is incredibly easy to give multiple enemies 10 radiating orb while dealing decent AoE damage. I'm still in Act 1, so the build really pops off in Act 2.

Wyll and Lae'zel are just standard pure warlock and fighter. Hunger of Hadar to shut down ranged enemies. Lae'zel is just a beat stick. I'll probably switch lae'zel for Minthara in act 2.

Yeah the power spike toward the end of act 1 feels so good. Hit level 7* when I killed the Inquisitor and act 2 was pretty much cruise control the whole way (to be fair I did the mega cheese strat on Balthazaar). Until the very last boss, who utterly pushed my poo poo in the way I had been clowning on every other fight for the last 20 hours. Instead of killing everything in 2 turns, he killed ME in 2 turns, I was totally unprepared for how much rear end that fight sucks on HM. People here posted some good suggestions so hopefully it will go better whenever I make it back there.

My go to HM party has been crossbow swords bard like you, throwbarb Karlach, monk Astarion, and regular old fighter Lae'zel. I do sub in Wyll if I know a fight that will benefit from Hunger of Hadar is coming up cause my party's AoE is nonexistent. But if you get Surprise it hardly matters, most everything's dead before the enemy gets to take their first turn.

Once I get the gear I am very interested in screwing around with the radiating orb life cleric build. Have not run that one before but hear good things.

*edit: hmm maybe it was level 6 actually, 7 seems high now that I think about it

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 15, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bum the Sad posted:

None of the Act II Astarion stuff really matters long run. You can still do his act III big quest. You may have to convince him to stay if you really piss him off. But you can still do the culmination.

Good to hear I can convince him to still do the right thing, but it sounds like our romance is officially done. Guess I'm going all in on Halsin.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The right thing is to sell your captor to hell then go have a post credits adventure getting everyone else out. If Karlach and Wyll get to fight Zariel then I’m doing a Mephisto run dammit :argh:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

loving harpies ended honor mode. what an unbelievably lovely fight. at least it was quick

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Docjowles posted:

Once I get the gear I am very interested in screwing around with the radiating orb life cleric build. Have not run that one before but hear good things.

I went with light cleric over life. I really like the spells you get and 2d10 plus character level radiant damage AoE is quite nice. I am much more a best defense is killing or ccing enemies and use heal potions over using actions to heal myself.

I know you are talking about act 2 with the gear, but a flaming sphere makes the early game so much easier. The sphere deals 2d6 and then has an aura that deals 2d6. You can one-shot a lot of early enemies with the aura alone. The flaming sphere on melee enemies and spiritual weapon on the casters/rangers was my shadowheart turn 1 almost every fight.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
heres a couple of stray questions:

if I want to go hard on alchemy, do I farm ingrediants by refreshing vendor inventories?

is Eldritch Knight worthwhile? for my first two runs, I went all in on Battle Master, which was a lot of fun. Would a dip in Wizard effect things much? I think EK only gets 2nd Level Spell Slots?

at the end of Act 2, for baddie Durge and baddie Shadowheart, is there a way to kill Dame Aylin per Shadowheart's quest, kill Lady Isobel per the Durge quest, AND trick Jahiera into being recruited? it seems like it will be easier to get the Slayer form by killing my romantic partner the idea here is BG1 and 2 style "Evil, With Good PR" and rack up the extra mean betrayals in the last stretch of Act 3

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If you are against just buying the potions then that is the most reliable way but potions will refresh and reroll like the rest of their wares. There are alchemy vendors like the bonecloaks in Act 1 that improve their store if you find the mushroom for Derryth. Chests can contain ingredients but they are rng so who knows. I had the widest selection of potions and ingredients in the middle of act 2 before I went into the Gauntlet because you could cycle through the Act 1 and 2 vendors for each long rest / level up. Act 3 has three alchemy vendors but by then you have so many things that can populate their inventories that specific ingredients / potions are harder to find. Elixir of Vigilance was a big one for me since you can drink that and not need to take alert. But its an uncommon so it can get pushed aside for other items as you qualify for higher level vendor items.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shwqa posted:

I went with light cleric over life. I really like the spells you get and 2d10 plus character level radiant damage AoE is quite nice. I am much more a best defense is killing or ccing enemies and use heal potions over using actions to heal myself.

I know you are talking about act 2 with the gear, but a flaming sphere makes the early game so much easier. The sphere deals 2d6 and then has an aura that deals 2d6. You can one-shot a lot of early enemies with the aura alone. The flaming sphere on melee enemies and spiritual weapon on the casters/rangers was my shadowheart turn 1 almost every fight.

I normally agree with you on just going for overwhelming force. But people who have gotten a lot further than me on HM were saying the life cleric done right is busted as hell and your party can basically never die so I thought I'd at least give it a shot at some point. Usually I do run Shadowheart as light because as you said the spells are pretty dope.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

wizard2 posted:

is Eldritch Knight worthwhile?
you need a 4th stat for spells, and they're weak anyway, but you're still better than Champion

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

wizard2 posted:

is Eldritch Knight worthwhile? for my first two runs, I went all in on Battle Master, which was a lot of fun. Would a dip in Wizard effect things much? I think EK only gets 2nd Level Spell Slots?

Eldritch Knight is good in a very unintuitive way. It is a very good tavern brawler build with the bound weapon always returning to you, letting you throw anything. This gives you a nice option in act 2 with Lightning Jabbers and also frees you up from relying on the Returning Pike. You get to use a shield alongside your throwing, this also leads into the other strength of EK which is they are a very tanky subclass. The best spell for them is Shield generally as it doesn't rely on high level upcasting or spell casting modifiers. If you want a caster that fights, Paladins and Sword Bards just do it better.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Expeditious Retreat is also pretty good for the bonus action dash.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Eldritch Knight is good in a very unintuitive way. It is a very good tavern brawler build with the bound weapon always returning to you, letting you throw anything. This gives you a nice option in act 2 with Lightning Jabbers and also frees you up from relying on the Returning Pike. You get to use a shield alongside your throwing, this also leads into the other strength of EK which is they are a very tanky subclass. The best spell for them is Shield generally as it doesn't rely on high level upcasting or spell casting modifiers. If you want a caster that fights, Paladins and Sword Bards just do it better.

ek is very good if you use a no camp buff bots house rule, otherwise it's a completely pointless subclass since you can go standard berserker throwbarb build and just use a hireling EK to bind weapon and trade it while you do your morning buff bot routine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always take EK for levels 6-8 on throwbarb before respeccing at 10 because you can get Lightning Jabber in Act 2, which is a good stopgap between Returning Pike and Nyrulna.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

couldn't you use blood of lathander if you go ek that early? i guess hit chance isn't a huge concern for throwbarb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The only build for Eldritch Knight that I can see is a weird heat build or weird arcane acuity build. Eldritch Knight probably works best when strength is a dump stat, and you just chug hill giant strength potions.

Heat build

Zariel Tielfing, hell fire great axe, thermodynamic gloves, and hat of fire acuity.

Smack the enemy 2 times and searing smite. This gives you the maximum heat ability of 7 and 4 arcane acuity. Then you action surge and use burning hand (cone upcast 4d6 fire) or chromatic orb (aoe upcast 3d8) with plus 11 with heat and aucity.

On anything but honor mode is probably worse damage wise than just a normal fighter.

Acuity build

This one is probably better. Helmet of arcane acuity and gloves of battle mage. Smack 3 times for 6 arcane acuity. Next, turn hold person, action surge for 3 critical hits. Combine that with the great weapon master feat, and you go for 4 critical hits.