Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rhonne posted:

Cloud was the same age as Yuffie when he killed Sephiroth.

Yeah, he's 21 in current day OG/Remake/Rebirth, Nibelheim was 5 years prior where he dunked Sephiroth into the lifestream.

Fun fact for you: in the OG, during the Nibelheim incident Cloud had just 1 materia equipped: pre-emptive strike. It rarely kicked in except for when it mattered most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, he's 21 in current day OG/Remake/Rebirth, Nibelheim was 5 years prior where he dunked Sephiroth into the lifestream.

Fun fact for you: in the OG, during the Nibelheim incident Cloud had just 1 materia equipped: pre-emptive strike. It rarely kicked in except for when it mattered most.

HanSephiroth struck first.

Cloud just got his limit break, a thing that canonically exists in that world and presumably explains Dyne's boss fight gimmick???

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cloud struck first

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cavelcade posted:

I'd be shocked if they don't, tbh. I really do want to kill him and Gus, honestly more than the Turks. Yuffie's 14 you creeps!

I understand your frustations, but... you cannot silence the Sound of Gus

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbf with gus that kick from Tifa looked like it really hurt. killing him probably would've been nicer

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean remember also that Tifa and the gang aren’t privy to the full story of what the gently caress is going on with Cloud. To be frank, from their perspective, all they can really do is minimize his instability and hope they can wrap this poo poo up fast enough that he gets to have a few years of peace before the degradation puts him down for good. They don’t know about the Jenova cells or the Sephiroth brain ghosts or that he could be brought back from the brink with a genuine intervention, the story everyone is telling them is that all SOLDIERs have an expiration date and, by all appearances, Cloud’s is coming up soon.

What I like about it this time is he is legitimately seeing ghosts of other timelines now but everyone’s gonna chalk it down to “uh oh cloud’s gone weird again”

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah the funniest thing about yuffie is that her being a trained and seasoned combatant at age 16 is both extremely normal in the setting and also puts her head and shoulders above pretty much all of the rebirth party except cloud and maybe Tifa, depending

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Have you considered that Gus' theme owns? So really who is to say he's all that bad

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I mean the best song in the game is for a piece of shinra propaganda

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bow wow wow, bow wow wow.

You're right and I am ashamed to have said otherwise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Yeah the funniest thing about yuffie is that her being a trained and seasoned combatant at age 16 is both extremely normal in the setting and also puts her head and shoulders above pretty much all of the rebirth party except cloud and maybe Tifa, depending

Yuffie is never considered normal by anyone.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, to be clear, Lucretia was an incredibly bad person. She worked alongside Gast and Hojo but where Gast went "oh my god this poo poo gotta go" Lucretia basically was all-in on the Jenova project and perfectly fine with using her own unborn child as a test subject. The only time she actually showed regret was when Vincent was killed and even then she tried to solve it by shoving a monster materia inside of him.

She did eventually feel guilty and try to kill herself (which failed because she injected herself with Jenova Juice) and now is going to spend eternity in crystal stasis as a ticking time bomb of Jenova Juice penance for her actions, but it's very much a case of "I did a bunch of horrible poo poo and am wracked with guilt but the horrible poo poo I did leaves me unable to die" rather than her being any kind of victim.

It's something I like and I hope R3 sticks to. Vincent's true love interest was genuinely a pretty bad person and their relationship was fairly toxic. They had feelings for each other that were genuine but that doesn't actually change the fact that Vincent was worse off for knowing Lucretia in almost every sense and there's no real indication that a 'happy ending' would involve her being freed and hooking up with him.

One thing I find very funny about this whole mess is that Dirge introduced us to Vincents father, Grimoire.

Yes. Grimoire Valentine.

The emo apple didn't fall far from the goth tree

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Clarste posted:

Yuffie is never considered normal by anyone.

No one bats an eye at her being a child soldier, at least.

The rest of it... Well...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

McCloud posted:

One thing I find very funny about this whole mess is that Dirge introduced us to Vincents father, Grimoire.

Yes. Grimoire Valentine.

The emo apple didn't fall far from the goth tree

You think when the team learns more about Vincent's backstory in the next game, we'll get a scene where Cloud or Tifa realize that he was totally in Nibelheim when Sephiroth went nuts and didn't do anything? Like yeah, he was in a "deep sleep" at the time, but it's still wild that he was just there.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hell, Zack opens his coffin in Crisis Core, finds him snoring, goes "Okay I guess I'll leave him alone" and closes it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rhonne posted:

You think when the team learns more about Vincent's backstory in the next game, we'll get a scene where Cloud or Tifa realize that he was totally in Nibelheim when Sephiroth went nuts and didn't do anything? Like yeah, he was in a "deep sleep" at the time, but it's still wild that he was just there.
Yeah even as a kid I thought this was strange bit of FF7. It almost makes me wonder if Vincent was created with always being in Nibelheim in mind, and not some other area.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

He pretty much states outright that he is 'security' for the basement, in Rebirth. In the OG it's been a while but I think he stays there out of shame, since Lucrecia went with Hojo over him. I have a hunch that is the case in Rebirth's universe too and he's too ashamed to admit the truth, for now. A lot of people with a lot of pent-up histories in FF7

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It makes perfect sense for Vincent to be in Nibelheim, since Nibelheim is explicitly where the original Jenova research was done. Like, they did the research there, which is why Sephiroth was able to learn about it. I suppose you could wonder if Vincent was ever meant to be in the game at all, but as long as his backstory ties into the Sephiroth Project, there's really nowhere else he could've been.

That said, Vincent sleeping through the whole Nibelheim disaster is more hilarious than it is a plothole, imo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Don't they have Vincent say (or imply) that he could have dealt with Sephiroth at any time and chose not to, and that's part of what's fueling him to tag along? That so much death and destruction was preventable and he just didn't do anything about it because he was trapped in his own self loathing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

Don't they have Vincent say (or imply) that he could have dealt with Sephiroth at any time and chose not to, and that's part of what's fueling him to tag along? That so much death and destruction was preventable and he just didn't do anything about it because he was trapped in his own self loathing.
It is more that he didn't stop Lucretia/Hojo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
To be fair Vincent probably also could have beat Sephiroth at the time of the Nibleheim massacre, in fact I think he still has Chaos at the end of Dirge of Cerberus even but I don't remember that much about it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah Sephiroth would’ve ripped Vincent apart even back then.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

I think if Vincent had the wherewithal to team up with Zack, then the two of them might have been able to handle Sephiroth, but that might is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vincent would have turned into the Galian Beast and caused everyone to panic even more. Sephiroth would be very confused.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ardryn posted:

I think if Vincent had the wherewithal to team up with Zack, then the two of them might have been able to handle Sephiroth, but that might is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

If they survived it be a pretty funny and great friendship, though. Vincent looks like a Magus or Shadow but he's actually really nice, just very melodramatic and serious, perfect as a foil for Zack.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Yeah Cloud left home to go join the army at 14, and this is explicitly not unusual for a dying town like Nibelheim even if the subtext is that he was leaving because the town blamed him for Tifa getting hurt and he didn't want to be a burden on his mom. Gaia considers teens adults very, very young.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vincent absolutely could not have handled Sephiroth during Nibelheim. Dude is strong but he isn't that strong until like the end of DoC where he gets full control over Chaos. Sephiroth was strong enough to effortlessly wreck Zack's poo poo and Zack is generally treated as about as high end as the series has without you mutating into something terrible.

Like maybe in some theoretical world Zangan, Vincent and Zack could have teamed up but there's a pretty short period of time for that to happen.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

ImpAtom posted:

Like maybe in some theoretical world Zangan, Vincent and Zack could have teamed up but there's a pretty short period of time for that to happen.

Yo that world fuckin owns

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Reading a thread about sales figures being significantly below Remake. Thread filled with people saying Square somehow screwed up badly with Remake and that's why people aren't buying Rebirth.

Not sure in what universe a 87/89 metacritic game is Square making a mistake.

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

Arkage posted:

Reading a thread about sales figures being significantly below Remake. Thread filled with people saying Square somehow screwed up badly with Remake and that's why people aren't buying Rebirth.

Not sure in what universe a 87/89 metacritic game is Square making a mistake.

I think I saw the same thread you mentioned if it’s over on Reddit, which someone pointed out was digital only sales in a subset of countries in Asia from an analyst that wasn’t able to confirm any info with Square (as they wouldn’t say anything until hitting a milestone or for presenting to investors), but people want something to talk about with this game aside from trying to figure out the ending and what happens next.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure than in general the ceiling for PS5 exclusives hasn't been that high

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Doctor Roosevelt posted:

I think I saw the same thread you mentioned if it’s over on Reddit, which someone pointed out was digital only sales in a subset of countries in Asia from an analyst that wasn’t able to confirm any info with Square (as they wouldn’t say anything until hitting a milestone or for presenting to investors), but people want something to talk about with this game aside from trying to figure out the ending and what happens next.

Yea the source was some Twitter guy, ZhugeEX, saying its based on equities research reports. No idea but people seem to think he's worth listening to.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah zhuge/daniel is legit, he does market intelligence for videogames these days

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The ps5 ain't got no games etc.

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, he’s usually a good source for reading through the business side of games news, but he’s also upfront when there are caveats to take. I’m not on Twitter much these days so that’s probably how I missed his take.

Though I’m also sure if sales were good, Square would be touting them already. This is what you get for that horrible twist to end your game with :colbert: (Cait coming back unequipped and absolutely nothing else that happened)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The PS4 had a massive base by the time Remake came out. PS5 has about half that, if I remember correctly. It's selling well but it isn't PS4 numbers yet. I bet the game will have long reach and it'll make those numbers over time.

Kind of impressive considering the chip shortages a few years ago.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there literally still has yet to be an actual good deal on a ps5, which is actually crazy. i got the ps5 slim after waiting, and it was basically at msrp. then sony discounted it by like a hundred bucks the month after, sure feel appreciated as a consumer. no bundle deals either

and even if the ps5 slim were an amazing deal, you'd still have to play through remake first

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
Basically the important thing to remember here is Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII Rebirth, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this PS5 exclusivity move.

Square, publicly apologize and sell FFVII Rebirth for every system on the market no matter how old or underpowered or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doctor Roosevelt posted:

Basically the important thing to remember here is Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII Rebirth, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this PS5 exclusivity move.

Square, publicly apologize and sell FFVII Rebirth for every system on the market no matter how old or underpowered or you can kiss your business goodbye.

:japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Doctor Roosevelt posted:

Source your quotes