Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Speaking of the Pirates, I actually watched them play against the Phillies yesterday. Boy oh boy is Henry Davis not ready for the major leagues.

I don't watch the Pirates much (who does?) but the couple of times I saw him last year he looked overmatched, and he was a catastrophe in yesterday's game, flailing ineffectually every time up and making a series of comical, Yakkety Sax defensive misplays that lost the game in the 8th and 9th. Which provoked me to look him up, since hey anyone can have a bad game. But no, what you see is what you get. 24 and #1 pick or not, he should still be in the minors. It turns out that 14 games of swinging a hot bat is not proof you have mastered Triple-A.

Also if you're gonna employ a stable of relievers that can't find the plate with a helicopter-mounted searchlight, pairing them with a catcher who handles any pitch in the dirt like it's a live grenade is sinergy, not synergy.

One of the hallmarks of dumb, bad organizations is Peter Principling their defensive lineup, deploying their players that whatever position they can almost handle instead of the position they can definitely handle. I really like Oneil Cruz, but a major league shortstop he is not. He is a right fielder, and he'll develop better as a hitter if he's put in right field. I dunno if Henry Davis is anything at the major league level, but he sure as poo poo is not a major league catcher.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cutch is great, happy he got 300.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
dear Cubs, please score 9 runs

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Not GDT

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 14, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Julio's Boner

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

maffew buildings posted:

dear Cubs, please score 9 runs

edit: oh wow yeah not GDT, but this statement is evergreen. also quote isn't edit. I give up (like the bullpen)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The right side of the Yankee infield is a big big problem.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

both S-S and Elder really need an unbroken series of starts for a while to figure out where they're at, while Winans and Vines at this point profile as long relief if that
That makes sense, if they actually needed to win a game I wonder if it's ... idk, Elder?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
cardinals offense is poo poo from my rear end. opponent SP have like 11 quality starts in 16 games or something ridiculous

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

wins above replacement is a made up statistic and I shant trust it again

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Tatsuta Age posted:

wins above replacement is a made up statistic and I shant trust it again

WAR is cumulative and Ohtani has played 33% more games

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wrong, they scored twice (it wasn't enough).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cheer up! The M's did just as well against the Cubs as the Dodgers did.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Sydin posted:

Wrong, they scored twice (it wasn't enough).

anything less than four runs doesn't count

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That makes sense, if they actually needed to win a game I wonder if it's ... idk, Elder?

they'll wait a bit longer for potential service time fuckery but AA doesn't mind aggressively pushing pitchers so the moment they can bring him up I bet Waldrep gets a start or three just to see if he can hang or at least set himself up as an option

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

OMG I loved that moment! I made a gif of it in anticipation of my Seiya Appreciation Effortpost than I still plan on making at some point:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Have there been any pitchers who got dinged for too many pickoffs? I don't remember seeing any lowlights over the past year and change

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Corbin Burnes had one today, but that's the only one I can think of in recent memory. Tried to pick someone off a third time and didn't get him.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Have there been any pitchers who got dinged for too many pickoffs? I don't remember seeing any lowlights over the past year and change

Reynaldo Lopez did in his first start this year.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Someone on the mariners did it against the jays this week

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Now that Holliday finally got his first single, I wonder how much longer the Orioles will give him before sending him down. 1 for 15 with nine strikeouts is a rough start. Not that I am faulting him he is only 20 but I think now that he has seen MLB pitching you have him go down to AAA and work out some things. Or ideally now that he got his first hit he relaxes and goes on a tear. But I am not sure how much longer you can give him if it continues to be blah.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Teheran to the Cubs on a minor league deal

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Poque posted:

Teheran to the Cubs on a minor league deal

Man, Iran is really showing their reach this week.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1779674102778773775

:goofy:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1779643888275206594

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bregor posted:

OMG I loved that moment! I made a gif of it in anticipation of my Seiya Appreciation Effortpost than I still plan on making at some point:

Lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hand Row posted:

Now that Holliday finally got his first single, I wonder how much longer the Orioles will give him before sending him down. 1 for 15 with nine strikeouts is a rough start. Not that I am faulting him he is only 20 but I think now that he has seen MLB pitching you have him go down to AAA and work out some things. Or ideally now that he got his first hit he relaxes and goes on a tear. But I am not sure how much longer you can give him if it continues to be blah.

I dunno, Holliday seems obviously too good for AAA. Too bad there's no AAAA league to send him to

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

The right side of the Yankee infield is a big big problem.

At least Rizzo is hitting better than Gleyber

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1779672501477368194

S my fuckin H

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

At least Rizzo is hitting better than Gleyber

Yeah but his defense isn't playable so far. Gleyber is just dogshit all around.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers bullpen is rear end right now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

like the astros, the dodgers spent all pitcher their money on one throwman and forget they need other throwmen as well

also:

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1779669871544189125

drat, poor Pham

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 15, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The starters have mostly been good enough, even today Paxton got through it despite walking EIGHT Padres, but the pen has maybe 2 guys that are reliable right now and everyone else feels like replacement level

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The White Sox are so loving embarrassing, man. I feel bad.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

DeepDickPizza posted:

The White Sox are so loving embarrassing, man. I feel bad.

Winless Detroit Lions level of bad

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Legitimately respect the hustle.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao at the end of the cubs/mariners game today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004