Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

my benchmark gave me bolf ramshield

ohhh legendary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Considering this PC is 5-6 years old this works for me.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there any sort of explanation? I got the python launcher to open up but even then there's still no explanation outside of "point this at files" and basically presets.

For the first tab: first line is wherever you unzipped the benchmark. The Wine binary is whatever you use to run the game normally. If that's XIVLauncher.Core it will be ~/.xlcore/compatibilitytool/beta/wine-<version string>/bin/wine[64]. The Wine prefix for XIVLauncher is ~/.xlcore/wineprefix.

The environment variables can be left at default or you can adjust them. I set WINEFSYNC=0 and DXVK_ASYNC=1 and did some WINEDLLOVERRIDES but I'm not sure if it helped.

Everything on the second tab is just whatever graphics options you want. It won't read your current settings and at least for XIVLauncher it won't load your saved character data but if you want you can run the character creator once and save, then overwrite it with data from your regular install. It's the same FFXIV_CHARA_<num>.DAT but XIVLauncher is tricky with paths and puts character data in ~/.xlcore/ffxivConfig by default.

Unfortunately I don't know how to run it with Steam Proton but I think the Lutris method will work if you want to try that instead.

Fake edit: I found a video that goes over it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzBv-45iGDM

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/aretteepls/status/1779588738512978048

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This seems kind of low for a less than one year old PC with a 12th gen i7 and 3070 Ti?

I checked the nvidia control panel and it says that Max Frame Rate in turned off. Not sure if I'm missing another setting.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

PunkBoy posted:

This seems kind of low for a less than one year old PC with a 12th gen i7 and 3070 Ti?

I checked the nvidia control panel and it says that Max Frame Rate in turned off. Not sure if I'm missing another setting.

someone else in here with a 3080 and 5800X3D at 4k got 11277. ~600 less seems about right for a 3070ti. The result seems to be mainly based on how high your FPS number gets and stays alongside how fast your load times are.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 15, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Seems to be about in line with the other 4k results ITT.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

MagusDraco posted:

someone else in here with a 3080 and 5800X3D at 4k got 11277. ~600 less seems about right for a 3070ti. The number seems to be mainly based on how high your FPS number gets and stays alongside how fast your load times are.

Aramis posted:

Seems to be about in line with the other 4k results ITT.

Oh right, 4k resolution would do it. Good to know then, much appreciated! Guess I'll need to consider a GPU upgrade down the line. I'll just deal with the lower numbers for now, I need to have the game borderless windowed.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 15, 2024

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Was worried about my CPU being old, but seems like it won't be an issue. My Xaela has evolved from Godkiller to Super Godkiller and I'm a hollerin' over hrothgals

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

end of an era

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Managed to get it (benchmark) to run without all the wine stuff from the linux XIVtools, and it ran like total dogshit (I've been playing via steam). Not very smooth, etc. Then got the wine version running and saw about 75 average fps, but clearly some optimizations are missing when I see 110-120 basically at all times today. Clearly linux optimization needs some work.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 15, 2024

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

PunkBoy posted:

Not at 4K, it ain't. A lot of folks underestimate just how much power is required to render at 4K. You'd probably be significantly lower without DLSS helping.

(Also keep in mind that high is a good-rear end result and you're probably seeing framerates consistently over 60. These silly 25000+ results at 1080p have the game only rarely dipping below the 130s in FPS and are a sign that the people getting them need to consider playing at higher resolutions.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Managed to get it to run without all the wine stuff from the linux XIVtools, and it ran like total dogshit (I've been playing via steam). Not very smooth, etc. Then got the wine version running and saw about 75 average fps, but clearly some optimizations are missing when I see 110-120 basically at all times today. Clearly linux optimization needs some work.

Surprising that the benchmark that came out less than 24 hours ago isn't very optimized for an operating system the game doesn't officially run on.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

5800X3D and a 3080 gets me ~16600 with the 1440p Maximum setting

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Not at 4K, it ain't. A lot of folks underestimate just how much power is required to render at 4K. You'd probably be significantly lower without DLSS helping.

100% this. For fillrate-bound rendering, which is definitely the case here in all but the foliage scene, your GPU has to do practically 4 times the amount of work for 4K compared to 1080p. It's a massive jump that is only really possible thanks to DLSS as of today.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Waffleman_ posted:

Surprising that the benchmark that came out less than 24 hours ago isn't very optimized for an operating system the game doesn't officially run on.

Curious that improving the graphics would reduce framerate, too!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Well yeah, but apparently there's a big difference between "mostly run it" and "lol gtfoh"

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Any way you run the game on Linux is going to use Wine. Lutris* and Proton are both forks of Wine; XIVLauncher uses a custom-patched version of Wine. There are different optimizations in each of them but suffice it to say if you're running through Steam you can expect the release version to be a lot faster since Steam/Proton translates the shaders before the game even starts. If you've run this or any other DirectX game through Steam on Linux you've definitely seen that progress bar when starting a game. Doing that ahead of time is a huge boost to performance and obviously doesn't happen if you run the game outside Steam.

E: * Correction: Lutris isn't actually a fork of Wine but it uses different forks per game so it's more like XIVLauncher in that regard.

E2: iirc gaben actually plays this game with his kid on Steam Deck so compatibility is a high priority at Valve

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 15, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, while you can trick the benchmark into using an unlocked hairstyle, it doesn't look like a lot of them are actually upgraded. I rigged it to load up the Hephaistos hair, and immediately got hit with 'oop, nope, I did bad'.

I suspect it's flying under the radar because a lot of the popular unlockable hairstyles are pretty simple, flat textures with straight lines, so they don't need the help (Great Lengths comes to mind). But the Hephaistos hair style to apply some waviness through texturing really shows that it hasn't gotten the upgrade.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I did the same thing to check out the windcaller and its definitely just the original. Honestly I'm surprised they're even in the benchmark files and we didn't just end up embarrassingly bald.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Updated my drivers and was able to use DLSS. It seemed like the difference was not that stark but it could just be because I lack a bit of that critical graphical eye.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

their dlss (at least in the benchmark) only kicks in if it can't maintain the 30 or 60 fps target or you set it to "always on". i think i read someone saying that they're using the "balanced" profile when it is actually functioning so quality is gonna depend heavily on the target render scale

aers
Feb 15, 2012

balanced default is 0.58x min.

when you start the benchmark w/ dlss on it will start rendering at 0.58x your resolution. as long as your fps is over 60 (or 30, if you change the setting), it will increase every frame until it reaches your actual resolution, which effectively gives you DLAA if you can maintain the framerate.

the time it takes to get up to max resolution is basically the entire duration of the boat intro.

there's no way to disable this scaling to just get DLAA-always with the benchmark's settings, but you can force it on w/ dlsstweaks.

that said something is broken with the DLSS + dynamic res that causes the final shot of the benchmark to be broken - all the characters look fine but the background is hosed. if you force on DLAA it isn't broken, so its probably the dynamic res.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
:siren: ALERT! There has been a JAILBREAK! :siren:

I am a Big Fish.

Only 5 Endwalker fish remain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

end of an au ra

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I am a Big Fish.

Seriously gratz. I had an audience of five randoms cheering me on when I finally caught this bad boy, it was one of the hypest moments I've experienced in the game

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My hypest fishing moment also involved Lancetfish. I had been in jail, Lancet window was about to open. Japanese guy flies in just as Mora window opens, gets the lucky double Mora, then we both get Lancet on our very first casts of Lancet window. The sound of synced bites had never sounded better. That was a hype that transcended language.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

lancetfish was one of the first SHB big fish i got, but i still need like all the other annoying ones like cinder, ealad, and aquamaton. big lack of motivation to keep going when i know it could take months

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Mordiceius posted:

I am a Big Fish.

congrats! To kill time till DT I started to work on the ARR big fish. The requirements get bananas as the expansions go on.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Lancet is hands down one of the worst designed fish in the game, and the fact they put Lancet+ in EW is mind-boggling.
I'm down to four for Final Fish at this point, but unfortunately they're all godawful ones that have been plaguing me (Egg, Durdina, Hyph, and Whale).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Egg took me over a year and half. Doesn’t help that the windows often land in a way that I often would go 4-6 weeks without a window as they would land when I was sleeping or at work.

Then a few weeks ago, I had a window and nabbed it first cast. I shouted in excitement.

Cinder was the hypest for me. Lancet was the victory lap.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've recently progressed to stormblood fishes and tho there's a pretty good spread i still have to catch somehow no matter when i log on no windows will be open for forty minutes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
shout out to the round six months since i started entering housing lotteries every single time

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

Lancet is hands down one of the worst designed fish in the game, and the fact they put Lancet+ in EW is mind-boggling.
I'm down to four for Final Fish at this point, but unfortunately they're all godawful ones that have been plaguing me (Egg, Durdina, Hyph, and Whale).
as far as I can tell the EW versions are just not as hard in terms of bite rates and stuff. unless my luck simply continued to be ridiculous or whatever

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Saigyouji posted:

its called fishin not winnin

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was able to get like 16-17k at 1080 and 1440p and about 10k at 4k. I'll probably stick with 4k.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Martman posted:

as far as I can tell the EW versions are just not as hard in terms of bite rates and stuff. unless my luck simply continued to be ridiculous or whatever

Garlic, Lopo, and Snowy were relatively painless for me, and Fork is basically just a downgraded Salad, but Hyph and Durdina adamantly refuse to stay on my line (I'd even go so far as to call Durdina an honorary legendary at this point) and everything about Whale is Lancet ratcheted up to eleven. I've gone seven+ windows without a single Phallaina bite before, and even if you do manage to pop intuition Whale itself is still really shy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My only regret is that my last Big Fish fish was that stupid turtle in Kholusia that's mostly an uninteresting catch but took something like twenty attempts to actually get. Lancetfish was hype but I got him as part of a ridiculous lottery run with four other of the game's most annoying fish in the space of a couple hours. He now lives in an aquarium in Mist 1 apartment 1, looking derpy for anybody who goes visiting.

Ibblebibble posted:

My hypest fishing moment also involved Lancetfish. I had been in jail, Lancet window was about to open. Japanese guy flies in just as Mora window opens, gets the lucky double Mora, then we both get Lancet on our very first casts of Lancet window. The sound of synced bites had never sounded better. That was a hype that transcended language.

Flying in and directly catching Mora > Mora > Lancet is one of the biggest flexes anybody can do in this game, drat.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I can accept that I got lucky, since I only had to sit in Lancet jail for a single extra window (which was only an hour after the first one, due to scheduling) before I got it. I'm not quite finished with ShB fish but so far the one that's elicited the most visceral frustration from me is Henondus Grandis. What a hateful turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

(Also keep in mind that high is a good-rear end result and you're probably seeing framerates consistently over 60. These silly 25000+ results at 1080p have the game only rarely dipping below the 130s in FPS and are a sign that the people getting them need to consider playing at higher resolutions.)

This and the Reddit bench results thread have revealed a shockingly high number of people pairing GPUs pushing or well past $1000 with $150 monitors. Or they have decent monitors and are completely wasting them. It's :psyduck:ish but at least not as bad as visible load times revealing the people who have current/recent gen cpus and gpus with no SSD.

Edit: Also learning that there's a chunk of people who think 90+fps isn't good enough for a hotbar MMO.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 15, 2024