Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

Also, how in the gently caress are Big Johnson t-shirts still bejng produced?

That’s the best part of edgy teenage boys a new set comes of age every year! - Big Johnson Corporate Salesman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This reminds me of a situation from high school where we had an autistic classmate who was really into the Titanic. On a long enough timeline, by which I mean more than a minute or two, he'd start spitting Titanic facts. It wasn't his fault, but it also wasn't what anyone else wanted to talk about. At the same time, this was a small school and a very congenial class in particular and we had adopted an unofficial policy of not excluding the one or two neurodivergent kids in the class. No one wanted to tell Milo to stop with the Titanic facts for fear of his feelings, and a teacher jumped on the grenade for us. When Titanic talk was banned, he'd still do it, but less so because he didn't want to get in trouble.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but it did remind me.

It hurts so *bad* to try not to talk about the special interest though, augh.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This reminds me of a situation from high school where we had an autistic classmate who was really into the Titanic. On a long enough timeline, by which I mean more than a minute or two, he'd start spitting Titanic facts. It wasn't his fault, but it also wasn't what anyone else wanted to talk about. At the same time, this was a small school and a very congenial class in particular and we had adopted an unofficial policy of not excluding the one or two neurodivergent kids in the class. No one wanted to tell Milo to stop with the Titanic facts for fear of his feelings, and a teacher jumped on the grenade for us. When Titanic talk was banned, he'd still do it, but less so because he didn't want to get in trouble.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but it did remind me.
If the scenario is like that then the teacher in this case seems to have handled it spectacularly badly by not coordinating with other teachers and not communicating the reasons for the rule in a misguided attempt to spare the OP's feelings but then yelling at him for supposedly breaking the rule in a way in a way that didn't affect other students (and was specifically approved by another teacher), when the teacher could have just said "try to give everyone a turn to talk about other topics when you talk to them at lunch"

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I know we carefully examine plot holes in most of the made up stories, but for some reason this one gets a pass. Why would a high school teacher, particularly one teaching juniors/seniors, give any mind to what kids were talking about at lunch? Why would they even be present for those conversations? Why would they be grading another teacher's papers? Hardly anything in this story makes sense, but we've got three pages of posters foaming at the mouth about how they were wronged in 6th grade by some teacher.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

litany of gulps posted:

I know we carefully examine plot holes in most of the made up stories, but for some reason this one gets a pass. Why would a high school teacher, particularly one teaching juniors/seniors, give any mind to what kids were talking about at lunch? Why would they even be present for those conversations? Why would they be grading another teacher's papers? Hardly anything in this story makes sense, but we've got three pages of posters foaming at the mouth about how they were wronged in 6th grade by some teacher.

...I've literally been in the exact situation where some teacher really gave a drat about what we were saying at lunch, so... And generally there was a teacher nearby when we had lunch. And my mom's a teacher who has helped other teachers grade their papers.

Maybe you're just not a very good detective.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I can believe the helping with grading papers, but a teacher overhearing lunchtime conversations, on a frequent basis, and getting mad about the most benign topic imaginable? Freak poo poo

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We had a teacher who'd just hyperfocus on us while eating her lunch and sneak up on any kid who was leaning back in their chair and yank back their chair so they'd think they were falling. I think the world's pettiest little tyrannies were her only joy in life. Eventually the high school classes convinced the teachers to let us eat outside instead and we didn't have to worry about it so much.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I have absolutely no problem believing that a teacher would be this much of a bitch to a student, either neurodivergent or neurotypical. There are some teachers whose only joy in life is being a douchebag to kids for no reason other than to exert control over them.

Litany, maybe you only had good teachers? It's not far out of the realm of possibility for a teacher to be that petty and cruel.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

litany of gulps posted:

There are a surprising amount of teachers that loving hate neurodivergent children.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mystes posted:

Where is 8 drinks coming from? Is that just an estimate based on guessing how much each drink should have been? I don't think the OP actually said that. In one comment it seems like he said 5 (he may have gotten five beers?), and it seems like he was waiting for a long period before he started which is why he ended up getting so many.
He says 8 drinks in comments.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
genuinely, literally envious of those of you whose life experiences have left you unable to believe a teacher would behave like that

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mordiceius posted:

There are a surprising amount of teachers that loving hate children.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

InediblePenguin posted:

genuinely, literally envious of those of you whose life experiences have left you unable to believe a teacher would behave like that

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

I have absolutely no problem believing that a teacher would be this much of a bitch to a student, either neurodivergent or neurotypical. There are some teachers whose only joy in life is being a douchebag to kids for no reason other than to exert control over them.

Litany, maybe you only had good teachers? It's not far out of the realm of possibility for a teacher to be that petty and cruel.

I am a teacher. There's no shortage of people in every walk of life that want to do nothing but exert control over others - work, relationships, etc. But the foaming at the mouth hatred of teachers is basically tearing down the public school systems all over the country, and all that will be left is something that won't even allow for neurodivergent students to participate, so have fun with that. Charters just kick them out and private schools don't even allow them in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I’d hate children too if I had to interact with them 8 hours a day.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The plot twist on this one isn’t super scandalous or anything, but I genuinely never would’ve guessed it based on the initial post

My girlfriend is acting obsessed with this random family she just met

quote:

I figured I should ask for advice because this situation is really weird and I have no idea how to handle it.

My girlfriend "Maggie" and I have been together for just 3 months so our relationship is still very new. Things have been going well aside from this problem:

A few weeks ago, Maggie started a new job and quickly became friends with her new co-worker "Joe." For the record, I have no problem with Maggie having male friends. I have female friends and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But Maggie and Joe seemed unusually close after a very short amount of time. Like Maggie was telling me that she was scoping out her co-workers to see who was all business and who she could joke around with and maybe become better friends with. She said it would be pretty easy though, because Joe was telling her who was cool. But Maggie barely knows Joe, so why does she trust him so much?

Maggie and Joe were hanging out so much outside of work that I actually did feel a little weird about it. I then found out that aside from work they usually hung out with Joe's wife and kids, which made cheating unlikely but was still really weird. Most people don't have near strangers hanging out with their little kids that much.

Maggie has been putting this family above other friends, like when she waited on rsvp'ing to a friend's party until she could nail down other plans with Joe and his family. The plans with Joe's family were very vague and hadn't been decided yet, but Maggie was willing to miss her friend's party if it was the only time Joe's family was available.

I met them for the first time, and it was very bizarre. Maggie isn't a big fan of kids but she was all over Joe's kids. She got down on the floor and crawled around with the baby. The older kid was very shy and didn't seem that comfortable with me but she got very excited when she saw Maggie and climbed into Maggie's lap, so Maggie has obviously spent a lot of time with the family in the past few weeks. The older kid calls Maggie "Auntie." Maggie once told me she didn't like babysitting and always tries to get out of it, but apparently she has babysat for them, and she refuses to take money for babysitting. This is just so out of character for her. They also made some weird jokes about Maggie coming to live in their basement??? which was really weird in combination with everything else that is going on. (Hopefully that was just a joke).

For Thanksgiving, we decided to just celebrate with our own families because we haven't been together that long. Joe and his family weren't able to travel far to meet their own family, so Maggie invited them to her parents house. That's very kind, but it was a couple hours away and they all slept over, so it wasn't a casual trip. Some pictures were taken, including a posed one of Maggie and Joe's family, with the older kid hugging Maggie's shoulders. Maggie made a comment about how she was glad her "chosen family" could come to Thanksgiving. It is beyond bizarre, she barely knows these people! She has been in the new job just under two months and somehow become absorbed into this random family.

And this is so out of character. She told me once that she hates it when people she doesn't know well insist on hugging her or how cheaply some people say "I love you" but she is taking this up to 11. She is fretting right now because the oldest kid's birthday is coming, and Maggie apparently needs to get that kid a birthday and a Christmas gift and a Christmas gift for the baby, too. The only gift I'd ever gotten a co-worker s kid is when they had a baby shower at work.

I don't even know how to bring this up. I know her friendships aren't really my business, but this is so strange it's making me uncomfortable so I feel like I have to say something, but I don't even know what to say. Maggie cheating on me with Joe would actually make more sense than this. Any advice? This isn't normal, right?

Update: my girlfriend is acting obsessed with this random family she just met

quote:

As a quick summary: I thought something weird was going on with my girlfriend "Maggie" who became quickly and extremely close to her new co-worker "Joe" and his wife "Kate." After just a couple weeks, she was trusting Joe with everything work related, babysitting their children for free and buying them gifts, having the kids call her auntie, putting this family above her other friends, inviting the family to Maggie's family Thanksgiving, and referring to them as her chosen family. I thought that either this whole thing was some kind of cover for an affair or Maggie had attachment issues.

I figured out what was going on and I feel like a huge idiot. I went to see Maggie to ask for an explanation and figured if I didn't like what I heard I'd break up with her, because either she was cheating or had an emotional issue I couldn't handle.

I had the opportunity when I saw the gifts Maggie had gotten for Joe and Kate's kids. It seemed so strange for someone who doesn't really like kids that much to go so overboard for kids she just met.

I asked Maggie why she gave the kids such special treatment even though she doesn't really like kids that much. Maggie explained that she felt differently about these kids because she had been around to watch them grow and was close to Joe and Kate, so the kids are more like family to her, which means she treats them differently than other kids and they're the exception to the rule. Maggie said she'd probably tone it down eventually, but since they were so young she wanted to get them something really nice for Christmas.

I wasn't really sure what to say next because it seemed so irrational, but then Maggie said that she used to exchange Christmas gifts with Joe and Kate too, but that they had all decided it was too much trouble and unnecessary so these days she usually bakes them something or gets them a nice bottle of wine.

I realized I was missing something important. If Maggie had other Christmases with Joe's family, she couldn't have just met them like I thought. I had thought that Maggie might have emotional issues that made her attach herself to people she barely knew, but I didn't think Maggie was actually crazy enough to imagine that she knew them before. I didn't want to ask, so I acted normally until I left.

When I got home, I went through Maggie's Facebook. She wasn't lying and she's not crazy. I found a ton of photos with Joe and Kate going back a decade. From what I can figure out, they all went to college together, Joe and Maggie were Big Brother and Little Sister in a coed frat/sorority, and Maggie and Kate were roommates. I also found pictures of Maggie as a bridesmaid in Joe and Kate wedding and pictures of Maggie holding their newborn children so they are obviously close friends who have known each other for a long time. All of Maggie's behavior makes perfect sense now that I know all this.

I think this whole thing is my fault. I have ADHD and I don't handle it well. I've had issues when people are talking to me for awhile, where I start zoning them out. I've been called out for this before. I think it's pretty likely that Maggie did tell me about Joe and Kate and I just wasn't listening. Maggie hasn't actually done anything wrong or creepy so I think it's more likely that I wasn't listening when Maggie explained instead of this being a trick.

This was a pretty big wakeup call for me. I've been ignoring my problem because I didn't want to face facts that it was serious but I know I need to do something before I make anymore mistakes. I'm going to start off by looking for a therapist.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

litany of gulps posted:

Charters just kick them out and private schools don't even allow them in.

I totally get what you're saying here but I was an extremely loving neurodivergent actually crazy kid and private school let me in just fine (and probably gave me a little extra leeway like suspending me instead of kicking me out when I threatened to jump off a bridge and such).

Also, yeah, idk, I've had both really awesome teachers, and also teachers who physically laid hands on students, but there's a special place in Hell for the kind of teacher who just loving spitefully hates kids and sees them as a problem to be eradiacted.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

litany of gulps posted:

I am a teacher. There's no shortage of people in every walk of life that want to do nothing but exert control over others - work, relationships, etc. But the foaming at the mouth hatred of teachers is basically tearing down the public school systems all over the country, and all that will be left is something that won't even allow for neurodivergent students to participate, so have fun with that. Charters just kick them out and private schools don't even allow them in.

Nothing to do with wrongly going "well that doesn't happen, this is fake", man.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

litany of gulps posted:

How do you feel about students discussing the weather?

mystes
May 31, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

I'm not sure if this supports or contradicts whatever point you are trying to make, but I had the misfortune of going to private schools for K-12 and I can very easily imagine something like that story having happened at any of the schools I went to (if the OP has some sort of diagnosed neurodivergence and is attending a public school and has an IEP I imagine it may actually be easier to deal with the teacher than if it's a private school where they will probably have no recourse available to them if the principal is in agreement with the teacher).

Also, while It is very true that this kind of behavior is something you could just as easily encounter from a manager at a job as from a teacher in school, it is much easier for an adult to sidestep a personality conflict like this completely simply by switching jobs, whereas for a child in school, not only is there a larger power imbalance, it may be effectively impossible for them to exit the situation, so I'm going to have to push back slightly on the implication that it's somehow unfair to call out this behavior in teachers specifically.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 15, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mordiceius posted:

There are a surprising amount of teachers that loving hate neurodivergent children.

Look I'm not saying anything the Trunchbull did was right, but I am saying she was a national Olympics hero and should have been treated with respect

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't know what any of that has to do with it being "fake" either. You don't just yell that something is fake if you don't like hearing about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Midnight Voyager posted:

I really don't know what any of that has to do with it being "fake" either. You don't just yell that something is fake if you don't like hearing about it.

Speak for yourself, buddy :sad:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The OP:

quote:

I just need space.

I need to decompress

I just needed time to process

I just needed some loving space.

I literally just needed time to process what happened.

I truly just needed to process what happened

I needed her gone in that moment.

I needed it far away from me.

Also the OP:

quote:

My house feels so empty and I don't know what to do.

You sure have a lot of time and space to decompress and process now :allears:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

loving epic

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I totally get what you're saying here but I was an extremely loving neurodivergent actually crazy kid and private school let me in just fine (and probably gave me a little extra leeway like suspending me instead of kicking me out when I threatened to jump off a bridge and such).

Ahh, so your family had money. You are correct, that allows you to get away with things that poor kids don't.

mystes posted:

I'm not sure if this supports or contradicts whatever point you are trying to make, but I had the misfortune of going to private schools for K-12 and I can very easily imagine something like that story having happened at any of the schools I went to (if the OP has some sort of diagnosed neurodivergence and is attending a public school and has an IEP I imagine it may actually be easier to deal with the teacher than if it's a private school where they will probably have no recourse available to them if the principal is in agreement with the teacher).

Also, while It is very true that this kind of behavior is something you could just as easily encounter from a manager at a job as from a teacher in school, it is much easier for an adult to sidestep a personality conflict like this completely simply by switching jobs, whereas for a child in school, not only is there a larger power imbalance, it may be effectively impossible for them to exit the situation, so I'm going to have to push back slightly on the implication that it's somehow unfair to call out this behavior in teachers specifically.

Ahh, so your family had money. You are correct, that allows you to get away with things that poor kids don't.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

What's your point, exactly? Should we salute and thank teachers for their service when they actively bully neurodivergent kids because this is the best we can hope for?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

litany of gulps posted:

I was trying to hold back because I can't comfortably contribute to this conversation because I was physically assaulted by a teacher growing up, which permanently hosed me up. Rich kids get hit and touched and shoved too. Suck my dick.

I'll take a sixer, please

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

litany of gulps posted:

Do you teach in bad faith as much as you argue in bad faith?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

What's your point, exactly? Should we salute and thank teachers for their service when they actively bully neurodivergent kids because this is the best we can hope for?

You do you, but joining the alt right in their crusade against the schools isn’t going to end the way you think it is.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

litany of gulps posted:

#NotAllTeachers right my dude?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

You do you, but joining the alt right in their crusade against the schools isn’t going to end the way you think it is.

lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
"Some teachers mistreat kids and we should do something about it."

"Ah, so you're a Nazi. Got it." :coal:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
maybe the people pushing to protect society's most vulnerable... were the real monsters all along

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Literally none of us here are alt-right, and no one here is attacking schools or teachers. I feel as if someone siding with a lovely teacher is likely a lovely teacher themselves.

I can't tell if you're a troll, or just very dumb, or both.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If I had a nickel for every time a super thin-skinned teacher freaked out in this thread, I'd have two nickels. It's not much, but it's odd that it's happened twice. Too bad this one argues like a high school debate kid.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

litany of gulps posted:

Excellent points, I see why everyone was all so wrong when they said that bad teachers who power trip over &/or outright abuse neurodivergent kids in their class are not good. Carry on, teachers! Teach those kids a lesson they won't forget!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

litany of gulps posted:

my ND brother went to a public high school with a well-established IEP in place, and there were two separate teachers that took every opportunity to ignore it and generally liked to be cruel to him in various ways. I ended up having one of them for honors english a few years later, and his dicking around with rubrics was bad enough that I went gently caress it and dropped down to the standard english class for half my junior year. i'm glad you've presumably been able to avoid those kinds of toxic coworkers while teaching, but they do exist

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

[b]AITA for being pissed off our kitchen flooded?

quote:

My boyfriend flooded our kitchen yesterday. Started running the sink for dishes, got distracted watching tv for like an hour and flooded the kitchen. I’m talking like a good 2-3 inches of water in the whole kitchen. It leaked through to the shop we live above and obviously the landlord was pissed. He said he hopes we have home insurance, we didn’t but my boyfriend bought some last night. Anyways i told him i’m not helping pay for it because its the FIFTH time he has done that! The fifth! And now we might get evicted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dervival posted:

my ND brother went to a public high school with a well-established IEP in place, and there were two separate teachers that took every opportunity to ignore it and generally liked to be cruel to him in various ways. I ended up having one of them for honors english a few years later, and his dicking around with rubrics was bad enough that I went gently caress it and dropped down to the standard english class for half my junior year. i'm glad you've presumably been able to avoid those kinds of toxic coworkers while teaching, but they do exist

whatever you say herr goebbels