Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SCheeseman posted:

Isn't that just a critical hit?

yeah and crit banker and grim reaper's sprint etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DaveWoo posted:

I was fine with most of that stuff, but the bit in the last episode with Cooper being able to take them out in a single gunshot due to a "design flaw" did strike me as a bit silly.

That's how I did it in my luck runs. It critically bypassed the armor!

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar
Oh definitely didn't mean it as a negative. I genuinely hate power armor and the nerds who jerk off to it. Also never liked the decision to turn power armor into a scarce, rare super weapon into something you can't walk 10 feet without tripping over

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Also he loads special rounds in his gun before, I'm assuming he just has apfsds revolver bullets.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, Coop has a 10 in luck.

It was hard for me to find time over the last few days to watch it, but I'm glad I did. Its not 100% perfect, there's a lot of TV logic to keep the plot moving, like I guess fast travel does exist? But they did what they needed to, they made a story that was set in Fallout but didn't feel they needed to straight up retell the story of one of the games.

Going to assume the NCR only fell apart due to Shady Sands getting blown up real good. Loosing at Hoover wouldn't cause it to collapse, just retreat.

But I cannot get over the production design. Almost everything is just straight from Fallout 4, which makes sense because its the most recent game. Like at the start when the guy at the part is taking pictures, its the exact camera you see laying around. The people behind this really spent a lot of time studying the games and making sure stuff looked at accurate as possible.

Its funny how almost every Fallout adaption has a different take on the Brotherhood. In Fallout they're insular but not overly hostile. In Fallout 2 they have become more of a protector with bases throughout the wasteland. 3 we have direct protectors who have decided to actively help the people in the capital wasteland, though this puts some of their members out and they become the outcasts. Then in New Vegas they are a scared group hiding in a bunker because they lost the NCR/BOS war though they can be convinced to help due to the legion being way more dangerous than the NCR was. Then in 4 they are huge jerks because their lead by a guy who straight up killed the anointed leader of the the DC Chapter so he could go on a crusade against all unnatural beings in the wasteland, hostile or not. 76 they're just an Army unit that adopts Maxson's ideas in WV but they all end up dying so who cares?

These guys are definitely more the FO1 Brotherhood mixed with the FO4. They're super insular and don't really give a poo poo about the people in the wasteland, they are dogmatically dedicated to their original mission and just don't give a poo poo about anyone but themselves.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Did I miss something at one point? This show put a pretty big revelation about Vault-Tec Dropping the bombs, not China or the US.

I figure a lot more discussion about that but what do I know?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Diabetic posted:

Did I miss something at one point? This show put a pretty big revelation about Vault-Tec Dropping the bombs, not China or the US.

I think it was more Vault Tec made sure the world situation would result in the bombs dropping, not that they specifically did it. Though the US did fire theirs off in response to something, that was assumed to be the Chinese, but there's a lot of weird stuff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Diabetic posted:

I thought that had been hinted at before? It's certainly not surprising that Vault-Tec might want to set the timetable for the apocalypse. It fits pretty well with vault-tec in general.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I did like how the very first person Lucy meets outside she runs up with her gun pointing at them, like how a player is always running around with their gun out in the games. I know there's a way to holster it, but I don't think anyone who plays ever holsters it unless they have to.

Diabetic posted:

That has always been one of those things that kind of depends on which developer you ask. I know there are terminals scattered throughout the games along with some stuff on some of the item models the bomb in Megaton in FO3 has a Vault-Tec logo, for example that muddies the water. So far we've seen Vault-Tec say they were going to drop the first bomb but they haven't done it yet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

twistedmentat posted:

I think it was more Vault Tec made sure the world situation would result in the bombs dropping, not that they specifically did it. Though the US did fire theirs off in response to something, that was assumed to be the Chinese, but there's a lot of weird stuff.

I don't think the show mentions the Chinese even one time, I was listening for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
All they'd have to do is set off one bomb, or maybe a couple to get things going. I have to assume that their situation was much like ours, in that, once there are ICBMs in the air, you have to launch everything you have because some of those missiles are aimed at your missile sites. So Vault Tec just has to trick one side and then that kicks off the whole thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The games fairly strongly hinted China fired first, given they were losing the conventional war at the time. The US army was on the outskirts of Beijing, there wasn't really much reason for them to launch. Tim Cain also has said China fired first, though of course Bethesda is under no obligation to keep things the way he intended them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't think the show mentions the Chinese even one time, I was listening for it.

Yea I thought that was odd, because the series from the start has been China was the big enemy. The Soviets were spent like the European powers. Maybe Amazon did that so they can show it in China?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

seaborgium posted:

I did like how the very first person Lucy meets outside she runs up with her gun pointing at them, like how a player is always running around with their gun out in the games. I know there's a way to holster it, but I don't think anyone who plays ever holsters it unless they have to.

I don't know if it is ever even explicit about how to holster a weapon, aside from maybe a loading screen tool tip. You have to hold down the reload button.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I thought that was odd, because the series from the start has been China was the big enemy. The Soviets were spent like the European powers. Maybe Amazon did that so they can show it in China?

The Soviets have always been missing in Fallout and at this point I think it's an intentional joke. There's like... less than ten references to the USSR in the entire Fallout series.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe Amazon did that so they can show it in China?

That would be incredibly unsurprising. Who the US were at war with isn't really a detail that's important at all to the story, so I can see why they might just sorta gloss over it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

The Soviets have always been missing in Fallout and at this point I think it's an intentional joke. There's like... less than ten references to the USSR in the entire Fallout series.

There was a CCCP satellite in the second episode. Guess it's easier to just use the traditional cold war stuff, especially with Chinese markets.

Is fallout banned in China? The games that is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Aurubin posted:

There was a CCCP satellite in the second episode.

Yeah, that's the first time a Soviet thing has ever been in Fallout as far as I can remember. Otherwise it's just some references, like one of the premade Vault Dwellers in the first game was a descendent of a Soviet diplomat.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aurubin posted:

Is fallout banned in China? The games that is.
Random Quora answers to that question say no. A quick search didn't find any reliable sources though, so grain of salt and all that.

https://playinggames.quora.com/Is-Fallout-4-banned-in-China-If-not-how-was-Liberty-Prime-censored

TheChaff
Oct 1, 2004

It's a' me, Mario !!!

roomtone posted:

I'm pausing mid episode 7 to post in appreciation for something they did with a common story beat

[spoiler]after max and lucy return the fusion core to vault 4, max confesses he isn't a real knight and let a guy die. 95% of the time, a confession like this would be a moment in the story where lucy is disgusted and she and max are now at a distance and something has to happen for him to re-prove himself to her. but instead, the show just says nah gently caress it waste of time, lucy gets it. she immediately overlooks it and they remain as close as they are.
this seems mostly due to him confessing just to tell her his real name.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, that's the first time a Soviet thing has ever been in Fallout as far as I can remember. Otherwise it's just some references, like one of the premade Vault Dwellers in the first game was a descendent of a Soviet diplomat.

There's this

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

There's this

Biblically Accurate Russian.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

I was fine with most of that stuff, but the bit in the last episode with Cooper being able to take them out in a single gunshot due to a "design flaw" did strike me as a bit silly.

What's nice is that in Episode 2, he just fires indiscriminately and wildly at the armour while retreating backwards and jumping up onto the scenery, like any of us playing on a laptop after we've used up our VATS

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Alright, Episode 7 has kind of an old joke to it fairly early in, but goddamn do they nail the execution of it and it definitely had me laughing. It helps that they had basically the perfect actor in place to help sell it.

Overall this is quite a quality adaptation of a video game here. I think a lot of it only really works with the context that someone who's played a lot of the games has (and I'm that type of person), but it's a good watch. I wasn't expecting the overall tone to be "take the top 5 weirdest npcs and quests from each game and mash them together," but it's working for me.

I'm excited by the prospect of treating everything in the show as canon, and it gives me some hope that they can deliver a properly badass main story in Fallout 5 whenever that comes out, which I don't think they've really had since maybe New Vegas way back in the day. I know there's not going to be much crossover if any between the show and the games, but maybe the show will toss out enough cool plot threads that Fallout 5 can just snag onto one of them and make the whole game basically about dealing with that thread.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

More Thaddeus next season or I riot.

More Chicken-fucker and his accidental ghoulification serum while we’re at it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bussamove posted:

Or Super mutantification. Or mystery serum'ification. They just sort of guess it turned him into a ghoul, but it could be a number of thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bussamove posted:

I just saw a tiktok of him talking about how much he likes his old apple bluetooth keyboard.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Bussamove posted:

I think that guy knew what was up based on his comment about radiation. I'm certainly up for him continuing to show up here and there while continuing to look worse and worse and in increasingly comically bad circumstances each time we first see him in a scene.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Pariah dog Snake-oil Salesman :hmmyes:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I just want to see them fully embrace the challenge of topping how we was introduced into the scene before he stole his stuff.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I know this isn't how it works but I don't fully see why the Chinese being the other party to the war should (not would) bother the CCP, given that it's not like the US are shown to be the full-on good guys or anything.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Why can't this show be at least twice as long? It's what I need in my life right now. Flesh out some storylines, and add a new self-contained story in between episodes 10 and 15. I'm almost done and I sure don't want to be.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lol Forbes put up an article how the TV show doesn't make New Vegas non-canon.

Arn't they just the news place that talks about how rich, rich people are? The modern newsscape is weird. At least the show seems it's getting talked about outside of just gaming sites.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Forbes has had a dedicated gaming/culture section for a while.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

UnknownMercenary posted:

Forbes has had a dedicated gaming/culture section for a while.

Huh, well that makes a lot more sense then. Seems a weird fit for them, but I guess if they've had it for a while apparently people are reading it. :shrug:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the first day after the show came out was people with rainbow flags and blm acting like the average star wars lynchmob. Guess the article will be a bunch of reddit talking points stapled together.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

seaborgium posted:

Hey I do it! It's rude to stick your gun in someone's face.

Also I just installed a mod where there's a perk that makes you run faster with your weapon holstered

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

seaborgium posted:

It always amazes me how often people jump from "I do this" to "therefore everyone does this."

I always have my weapon holstered unless I'm in combat. You run faster when you're not holding a weapon.

EDIT: Welp...

Sab669 posted:

Also I just installed a mod where there's a perk that makes you run faster with your weapon holstered

You don't need a mod for that unless you want it for everything. That's the default behavior for anything larger than one-handed weapons.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 15, 2024

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

the first day after the show came out was people with rainbow flags and blm acting like the average star wars lynchmob. Guess the article will be a bunch of reddit talking points stapled together.

Really wierd post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
couldn't discuss the show for the first 24 hours after it came out because people were convinced todd howard spent a 150 million dollars specifically to gently caress with the bestest story ever written.