Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Monkey Man was amazing and had a trailer for Abigail which I am very on board with. Cool twist and I loved Ready or Not so that is an easy watch for me provided it's at least decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Saw Sting today. Very fun creature feature that revels in its unabashed love for its inspiration from both 50-60s era monster movies right down to the the creatures origin being nothing beyond “it came from space!” and a mad scientist character growing the creature for no reason besides “SCIENCE!” and all the secondary characters being exaggerated characters that don’t need detailed backstories as well as 80s era monster movies with battle squirt guns and a common household item, in this case moth balls, being the monsters main weakness. It does get dragged down a bit half way through when they decide to introduce family drama in what feels like sort of a forced metaphor for the growing spider. Still, it’s an awesome call back to killer bug/giant creature movies

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
LONGLEGS is the best horror trailer I've seen in like a decade.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm very excited for all of Abigail, Sting and especially Longlegs. Annoyingly, Sting doesn't come out here in the UK until the end of May. It sucks how us getting movies months late is becoming more common, we've still not had Love Lies Bleeding yet either.

At least we get Abigail next week like everyone else.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

LONGLEGS is the best horror trailer I've seen in like a decade.

The red text one I saw before Civil War today was even better than the ones I linked

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah the Longlegs trailer rocks. Same for Cuckoo. The first trailer for The First Omen also rocked. The one with the fever ray track over it. Good year for trailers so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4xk8yLiFwM

Perfect combo of audio and visuals. Also love that all the footage is in reverse. Just works with such a simple trick.

dorium fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 14, 2024

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm really confused that Sting isn't playing in any of my local theaters and it's at an art theater an hour away

I loved seeing the Longlegs and Cuckoo trailers too, seeing them on the big screen at First Omen was great

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Monkey Man was amazing and had a trailer for Abigail which I am very on board with. Cool twist and I loved Ready or Not so that is an easy watch for me provided it's at least decent.

I think the Abigail could have stood to not give away the twist and what felt like half the plot.

I also wasn't as keen on Monkey Man as most seem to be. I liked it and don't regret having seen it, but I knew as I watched that I'd never need to watch it again.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It doesn't really look like a twist in Abigail, it looks like it's just laying out the premise of the movie

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I think it's a Terminator 2 situation where it'd have been fun to go into it blind, but it'd be impossible to market it without giving away the "twist" since, yeah, it's most of the premise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The original title was Dracula's Daughter so I don't know if it was ever intended as the twist so much as premise.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah it feels a bit premature to be "it gives away the whole plot" without the context of, you know, the full movie's plot

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That sort of movie can be annoying though if they market it as if it's not a twist, but then when you actually watch it they spend the whole first act setting things up as if it is. So the movie is mostly just spinning it's wheels for like 30 minutes while you wait for the real poo poo to start.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im glad it revealed a lot in the trailer bc it looks terrible so i dont have to watch it!!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i;ll watch it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I saw The First Omen.

Loved it. LOVED it. Honestly, I'd put it above the original, but to be fair I've never rated that movie very highly. It's a really beautiful flick, lots of warm light and deep shadows and symmetry. And there are some excellent spooks; that scene in the Bad Room is really sticking with me. Nell Tiger Free was very good, and it's been a while since I've seen Ralph in a sympathetic role, he really nailed it. I wasn't able to make a double feature with Immaculate, that'll have to wait til later this week.

If you were wondering, yes it's a direct prequel to The Omen, and the ending rather limply sets up a sequel/remake. I don't think there really needs to be anything more, but I wouldn't mind spending some more time with the characters.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Baron von Eevl posted:

The original title was Dracula's Daughter so I don't know if it was ever intended as the twist so much as premise.

If Nic Cage comes to pick up his daughter at the end I’m gonna cheer in the theater.

I wasn’t a big fan of Renfield but Nic Cage should be the Universal Dracula for any future films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Renfield was mayeb the worst movie I saw last year.

Cage deserved better

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nic Cage is perfect for horror movies and I'm glad that he's making them. Just stand out after stand out performances.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
People that poo poo on Nic Cage for "poo poo acting" kind of miss the appeal of him.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Renfield was mayeb the worst movie I saw last year.

Cage deserved better

I dunno how you make a boring movie when you've have Nic Cage being the hammiest ham to ever ham as loving Dracula but Renfield somehow threaded that needle

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Renfield, mostly because of Cage but I thought they did a pretty good job of spreading his scenes out so that you were never more than a few minutes from some more Cage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was Aquafina and her character that brought it down. Maybe wasn’t her fault specifically but her character was a real drag.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't mind Cage's acting I just thought it was kind of inappropriate for Color Out Of Space. I feel like a lot of actors could have been a better choice for that part.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cage was the only reason Renfield was remotely watchable.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like the gore in Renfield

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Justin Godscock posted:

People that poo poo on Nic Cage for "poo poo acting" kind of miss the appeal of him.

Cage has had an interesting career trajectory, like he went from "serious actor" to "action star" to being briefly considered a joke around the Wicker Man remake, to hitting back hard with horror roles that often really accomodate his manic style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

I like the gore in Renfield

it was just all cgi which took a lot away. Good concepts but I don't know. Just no soul in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i cant even remember the most recently released horror movie i saw with no cgi gore fx. seems practical is a dying art.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

i cant even remember the most recently released horror movie i saw with no cgi gore fx. seems practical is a dying art.

I thought being a mortician was a dying art.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s some good gore and goop on the fallout show; and a few good horror moments too. Hits one of my favorite underused horror ideas

Human experiments with monsters and body horror

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

Nic Cage is a world-class talent, but in addition to it being easy to poke fun at his self-proclaimed "gonzo" acting choices--I think I've read an interview where he cites kabuki as an influence--he also has a diluted filmography because he slums it so often. But he actually has quite a bit of range. For example, he really deserved a second Oscar for Adaptation.

Quoting myself.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

His performance in Pig is one of my biggest Oscars snubs. It was unreal good.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Doltos posted:

I don't mind Cage's acting I just thought it was kind of inappropriate for Color Out Of Space. I feel like a lot of actors could have been a better choice for that part.

I actually thought his casting was perfect for an on edge dad who goes Lovecraftian insane from unknowable horrors

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I really enjoyed Colour out of Space but I think Nic Cage was just a an itty bitty too weird at the beginning of the movie. He nails it when he's going crazy, but it kind of felt like he started a little bit crazy and then went REALLY crazy by the end.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

His performance in Dream Scenario was also brilliant, especially one of the all-time fart gags.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not horror but Bad Lieutenant: POCNO is peak "Nic Cage is making some choices" for me. Just a perfect movie.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mandy is probably one of my favorite Nic Cage performances recently

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

His performance in Dream Scenario was also brilliant, especially one of the all-time fart gags.

i hated that movie but the scene you’re referencing is some of the truest, most horrifying horror I’ve ever seen on film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

His performance in Pig is one of my biggest Oscars snubs. It was unreal good.

100% perfect performance