Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Yeah there's no way in hell I'm gonna speak or listen to internet randoms. When I get a good group where everyone is tagging and generally competent it's really not that different from when I'm playing with friends on voice comms.

Idk, I’ve met pretty rad people randomly on the internet. I respect your choice. I’m saying that there’s no replacement for communication even though you can absolutely be successful with pings. I wish they’d add bots so that people who agree with you could play how they like.

Tender Bender posted:

I agree with this but then I guess I do want a microphone-user filter, so I can go no-mics only. I only want to talk to people if they're my friends. I have my gaming PC on our living room TV so I'm gonna be just chilling and chatting with my wife instead of talking to randos on the Internet. No offense to the randos. I'm one of them.

That’s fair and exactly what I want for the opposite reasons. I use push to talk so I can talk to my wife and be a more useful teammate.

E: not trying to poo poo on how anybody plays, I just want the option since this is a big enough game that splitting the playerbase wouldn’t matter. I don’t get a ton of time to play anymore and would rather enjoy it how I want to (just like y’all do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Unless I missed it, have they fixed that whole fire/chem DoT damage only working for hosts yet? I've kind of mentally checked out with those weapons for the time being and don't recall a patch note fixing it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Droxis posted:

Unless I missed it, have they fixed that whole fire/chem DoT damage only working for hosts yet? I've kind of mentally checked out with those weapons for the time being and don't recall a patch note fixing it.

Its on their list of known issues but hasnt been patched yet. Just ignore fire weapons unless you're the host.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Note: the bug apparently makes DoTs work properly for the network host, which is not necessarily the same person as the game host.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been playing against bugs with a breaker incendiary a lot, always as the host, and whenever someone joins who is also using the breaker incendiary I compare our kills:shots hit ratio at the end of the match, and it's almost always roughly equivalent. I think the fire dot bug only happens when the host has bad Internet and the non-host players get desynced. But in my experience people joining my games seem to do fine with fire damage.

And the dot is definitely working for me, I've counted out the number of shots it takes for me to kill various bugs with the dot e.g. warriors are 3 shots then the dot will finish them, small bugs are one shot and the dot will finish them even if they only get hit by a single pellet. Which is also consistent across all matches I've played.

Some examples I took screenshots of:

Me: 0.4 kills per shot hit
Blue: 0.38 kills per shot hit
(we were both breaker/quasar)

Me: 0.36 kills per shot hit
Blue: 0.43 kills per shot hit
(I was breaker-only, blue was breaker/flamethrower)

I usually take a supply pack with it so I shoot way more than other people but the ratios are consistent

To be fair this methodology is not great for a few reasons, for example it has no way of accounting for things like how many targets were hit with each shot, but it generally ends up with roughly 0.35-0.4 kills per shot hit regardless of whether it's me as the host or someone else who joined.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 15, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's definitely not as simple as "only 1 randomly selected player in each game can do damage over time" and probably far less common than people think.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Huh, interesting. My initial searching for an answer had mixed results, but I'm glad the incendiary breaker is still doing work.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

There should be a support weapon that’s a 40k lore bolter. Full auto assault rifle that fires eruptor rounds

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

FrancisFukyomama posted:

There should be a support weapon that’s a 40k lore bolter. Full auto assault rifle that fires eruptor rounds

Do I have good news for you about the autocannon and its fire mode selector!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’ve taken the incendiary breaker exactly once, along with the gas strike for one of those new defence missions.

Turns out having your primary and your crowd clearing strat both do nothing sucksssss.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lightrook posted:

Do I have good news for you about the autocannon and its fire mode selector!

looks a little like a heavy bolter even.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’ve taken the incendiary breaker exactly once, along with the gas strike for one of those new defence missions.

Turns out having your primary and your crowd clearing strat both do nothing sucksssss.

Did you try the incendiary breaker before or after the buff? Its direct damage was increased like a week or two ago.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Those using an Xbox elite controller, how do you have your paddles mapped?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Playing with random people is fun. Unless you play solo or have a very dedicated group of friends on standby, I don’t get why you would want to play a multiplayer game online

I’ve met a lot of very chill people. Only one on mic jabroni.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, I feel like setting up the Menkhent Line hurts pretty good. Really feels like we're pouring effort in to turn the tide of a massive invasion in the most trying possible circumstances.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Didn't they buff fire damage a while ago? That could be compensating for the DoT bug even if the mechanic isn't working consistently.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't they buff fire damage a while ago? That could be compensating for the DoT bug even if the mechanic isn't working consistently.

If anything wouldn't it be more noticeable though? Like other people have said it might be something more than just who is host.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It does not, is the eruptor actually good vs bots? I feel like not going ac or quasar with a decent trash sweeper is questionable.

That's an odd statement since the Eruptor is a primary and the AC and Quasar are strategems. They don't compete for a space

You use the Eruptor AND the AC or Quasar. Or Arc, or Stalwart, or....

I think the Arc with Eruptor and Redeemer with stun grenades and shield or laser dog works great against Bots

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
When are you close enough to laser dog bots :confused:

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I like to pair the AC with the sickle on bots, sickle can sweep all the little guys really fast, AC handles everything else, plus airstrike for tanks. Eruptor plus redeemer can work well with the Quasar, it's like a mini AC and the Quasar gives you a little more long range flexibility with turrets and tanks, plus you can run a shield. I swap between these loadouts depending on the mission type. I think the AC loadout is a little better overall if you get good at not dying.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I haven't used the AC since the AMR got buffed. It feels like anything the AC does, the AMR can do better (except oneshot striders).

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Horace Kinch posted:

I haven't used the AC since the AMR got buffed. It feels like anything the AC does, the AMR can do better (except oneshot striders).

You can actually one shot them if you get the right angle into the engine block. Sort of almost parallel to the side but just tilted in. I think it penetrates and gets the rider's leg.

AC is much much better at tanks, cannon towers, hulk backs and gunships though. It can also take down fabs.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The AC is also much better against devastators because it staggers them (even on shield hits) and can hit multiple if they're grouped together. You take the AMR because it lets you use a backpack.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Also, fewer opportunities for sick stunts with the AMR

https://i.imgur.com/qIwBq7C.mp4

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I suck at aiming down sights and lose all situation awareness when I do so the AC stands supreme compared to the AMR to me

I know the AC has some handling sway but has anyone else noticed that it feels like it just casually aimbots perfectly across a moving bot right when you pull the trigger and erase it from the planet? May just be confirmation bias but it feels like the gun aims for me half the time. Same for the recoil swinging right back onto a Hulk’s eye hole

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Horace Kinch posted:

Not even if you snipe it in the junk?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
launching a defense order on the hellfire that is menkent when fire damage is still bugged and killing players in 2 seconds is just cruel

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

I suck at aiming down sights and lose all situation awareness when I do so the AC stands supreme compared to the AMR to me

I know the AC has some handling sway but has anyone else noticed that it feels like it just casually aimbots perfectly across a moving bot right when you pull the trigger and erase it from the planet? May just be confirmation bias but it feels like the gun aims for me half the time. Same for the recoil swinging right back onto a Hulk’s eye hole

I always just use third person aim and have it set so the aiming circle is always present, as long as the circle is on top of what you're shooting at when you press the trigger, it'll hit. You can just sweep across and hit 4 striders in 2 seconds while still moving if you do it this way.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lobok posted:

Not even if you snipe it in the junk?
Still takes 2 shots, though I think the legs are usually 1 shot.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

launching a defense order on the hellfire that is menkent when fire damage is still bugged and killing players in 2 seconds is just cruel

that's not a bug it's a balance decision, player fire damage is a bug

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Saraiguma posted:

that's not a bug it's a balance decision, player fire damage is a bug

what about the invisible ground fire

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

what about the invisible ground fire

Perfidious Automaton Microwaves

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Lol yeah Menkent is brutal, when me and a friend were going to do some some bots I recommend Lehsat. Like at least 50% of extractions on that planet end up with all samples lost in a sea of fire.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

If fire tornadoes killed enemies half as effectively as they kill us, I'd never leave.

We were heading to evac and passed a POI. Saw a fire tornado in the middle of some bot grunts and they were just enjoying the heat, while the tornado was just doing it's thing.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
is the rescue civillians supposed to be impossible past diff 5?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

haddedam posted:

is the rescue civillians supposed to be impossible past diff 5?

It does some overly dogshit hard for no reason at higher difficulties, yeah.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
People keep saying those are hard (the 15 min one) but they're really not. Change your stratagems if you need to, emp mortar is always a good pick and the regular mortar is too against bots.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They rely on three things. The first is that you pick the right stratagems and get them deployed in good positions immediately. Second is that you are hitting the VIP spawn buttons on cooldown all the time. Third is luck of the draw on the spawn seed.

By far the third is the most important, and there is really very little you can do if you're unlucky on it. The mission is not well designed.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They rely on three things. The first is that you pick the right stratagems and get them deployed in good positions immediately. Second is that you are hitting the VIP spawn buttons on cooldown all the time. Third is luck of the draw on the spawn seed.

By far the third is the most important, and there is really very little you can do if you're unlucky on it. The mission is not well designed.

also 4: not playing with pubs since pubs haven't gotten the memo that this mission needs sweatlord meta build and approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Nah pubs are the most likely to bring mortars. I play with friends and pubs but goons seem to have the off meta with their love of the EATs.