Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I usually just talk and even if nobody answers they usually do what I ask or get the message. It's better than nothing, and the few randos with mics I've played with have been fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://i.imgur.com/4Y8GOAO.mp4

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Yeah there's no way in hell I'm gonna speak or listen to internet randoms. When I get a good group where everyone is tagging and generally competent it's really not that different from when I'm playing with friends on voice comms.

I agree with this but then I guess I do want a microphone-user filter, so I can go no-mics only. I only want to talk to people if they're my friends. I have my gaming PC on our living room TV so I'm gonna be just chilling and chatting with my wife instead of talking to randos on the Internet. No offense to the randos. I'm one of them.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is it possible for people who have already gotten into the extract Pelican to be killed by explosions, fire etc. happening next to the boarding ramp?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Return to ship doesn't specify how its going to return you

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Tender Bender posted:

I agree with this but then I guess I do want a microphone-user filter, so I can go no-mics only. I only want to talk to people if they're my friends. I have my gaming PC on our living room TV so I'm gonna be just chilling and chatting with my wife instead of talking to randos on the Internet. No offense to the randos. I'm one of them.

Basically this. My PC is on the other side of our bedroom so I don't want to be keeping my wife awake so I can talk to internet randoms. Maybe I'm just :corsair: but I don't play games because I want more conversations with strangers at the end of the day.

Also, I hate to admit it but someone earlier suggested turning off crossplay and they were right, it's so much nicer. The groups seem overall better and I haven't had any mouth-breathing, chip-munching, and/or domestics in the background since I've done it. Not to go all PC :smug: but hell, just not having an open mic in someone's hand that they may not be aware of makes a difference.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Is it possible for people who have already gotten into the extract Pelican to be killed by explosions, fire etc. happening next to the boarding ramp?

I've definitely been shot while in the pelican, though not in a few weeks. I've never had an explosion kill me in the pelican after it's taken off either, no idea about grenades and 500kgs/airstrikes etc before it takes off though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A while back I was doing some bot missions and extraction got called down with 0 reinforcements left. All 3 of my teammates decided to book it across the map to blow up a bot fabricator before getting in the pelican. I tried to hold off the bots at the pelican for as long as I could but two of my teammates died so I boarded. Like 10 seconds later a bot trooper walked up and shot me dead in my pelican seat and we ended the mission with 0 extractions.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have been fully converted to using the autocannon for bots. Total easy mode.

top tier bot loadout: sickle, redeemer, orbital laser, eagle 110, autocannon, 50% explosion dmg armor + whatever

quasar is also useful because it oneshots tanks easily

top tier bug loadout: breaker or incendiary breaker, redeemer, 500kg, eagle napalm (w/ new ship module fire upgrade), shield gen backpack, quasar

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Does the regular machine gun do damage to gunships? I've been using the Eruptor and Stalwart for bots and I'm not a huge fan of being almost totally unable to damage them.

as soon as the packing upgrade is fixed I think that I'm just going to run Eruptor/Autocanon/EAT as god intended i think

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 14, 2024

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

A while back I was doing some bot missions and extraction got called down with 0 reinforcements left. All 3 of my teammates decided to book it across the map to blow up a bot fabricator before getting in the pelican. I tried to hold off the bots at the pelican for as long as I could but two of my teammates died so I boarded. Like 10 seconds later a bot trooper walked up and shot me dead in my pelican seat and we ended the mission with 0 extractions.

Pilot: Helldivers are still not wearing their seatbelts :rolleyes:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Does the regular machine gun do damage to gunships? I've been using the Eruptor and Stalwart for bots and I'm not a huge fan of being almost totally unable to damage them.

as soon as the packing upgrade is fixed I think that I'm just going to run Eruptor/Autocanon/EAT as god intended i think

It does not, is the eruptor actually good vs bots? I feel like not going ac or quasar with a decent trash sweeper is questionable.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

It does not, is the eruptor actually good vs bots? I feel like not going ac or quasar with a decent trash sweeper is questionable.

I like the eruptor a lot versus bots, I paired it with the spear to great effect. Its biggest problem is that bots love to serpentine and it makes hitting with low velocity projectiles very difficult sometimes and that the AOE is not as relevant as you'd like in many situations, if you're willing to fire a shot and either bolt cancel or swap to your secondary to fire off a few bullets then back you can do a lot more work but it can put you in a difficult situation at times.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dren posted:

I have been fully converted to using the autocannon for bots. Total easy mode.

top tier bot loadout: sickle, redeemer, orbital laser, eagle 110, autocannon, 50% explosion dmg armor + whatever

quasar is also useful because it oneshots tanks easily

Try the scorcher if you have it vs bots, it's pretty nice for the stirders. Otherwise that's basically my maximum effort loadout vs bots too.

quote:

top tier bug loadout: breaker or incendiary breaker, redeemer, 500kg, eagle napalm (w/ new ship module fire upgrade), shield gen backpack, quasar

You don't need the shield, certainly not against bugs. Take the laser dog to clean up little guys instead then you can take the slugger, eruptor, scorcher or dominator for the medium armored ones.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I tried the Eruptor on a few bot missions and it didn't feel nearly as impressive as on bug missions.

The bots seem more heavily armored on average, and require a bit more precision than the Eruptor wants to offer.

For bugs I'm enjoying: Eruptor, Redeemer, Impact Grenades, and Quasar.

For bots I prefer: Sickle, Redeemer, Stun Grenades, and Autocannon (assuming a teammate or two bring anti-heavy weapons).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rhymenoserous posted:

It depends on if you get the good Eruptor with AOE or the bad Eruptor that either doesn't have AOE or inconsistently applies it. If you have the good one then it's great, it'll clear groups of small bots with one shot, you can kill Strider pilots on direct hits to the front shield and get others if the splash hits, you can one shot head shot devastators with it, and you can kill the AA tank by hitting between the barrels.

If you have the bad Eruptor then it's just a shittier version of the Dominator. I do not know what determines its behavior. You can go through a round with the AOE working fine and then have it decide it's a single target weapon in the last 5 minutes.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 14, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Laser Cannon can be your trash sweeper if the planet's not hot

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

WhiteHowler posted:

I tried the Eruptor on a few bot missions and it didn't feel nearly as impressive as on bug missions.

The bots seem more heavily armored on average, and require a bit more precision than the Eruptor wants to offer.

For bugs I'm enjoying: Eruptor, Redeemer, Impact Grenades, and Quasar.

For bots I prefer: Sickle, Redeemer, Stun Grenades, and Autocannon (assuming a teammate or two bring anti-heavy weapons).

The autocannon is an anti heavy weapon on bots. Crouch, use ADS and you can 2 hit hulks in the eyes all day long on even ground.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Try the scorcher if you have it vs bots, it's pretty nice for the stirders. Otherwise that's basically my maximum effort loadout vs bots too.

You don't need the shield, certainly not against bugs. Take the laser dog to clean up little guys instead then you can take the slugger, eruptor, scorcher or dominator for the medium armored ones.

Shield prevents slow, definitely a useful thing on bugs. Also reduces the death to silent bile spewers from behind when patrols merge

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rhymenoserous posted:

Eruptor is alright vs bots but not nearly as good as it is against bugs, and the autocannon is so god-tier against bots I think it fills the position you'd want the eruptor in much better and I'd have have a sickle/scorcher/dominator as primary

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Shield prevents slow, definitely a useful thing on bugs. Also reduces the death to silent bile spewers from behind when patrols merge

You can also use the strength booster which helps reduce it a ton.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

"Now what are the odds of that?" I chuckle to myself as I resolve to never play on this lovely planet again.

why didn't i listen to myself

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

turn off the TV posted:

If you have the bad Eruptor then it's just a shittier version of the Dominator. I do not know what determines its behavior. You can go through a round with the AOE working fine and then have it decide it's a single target weapon in the last 5 minutes.
I think this is because a lot of the AOE comes from fragments with their own collision so there's some randomness in whether they hit stuff or not.

Then again I have also seen the occasional shot be almost completely ineffective in a way that wouldn't account for.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Word. I was about to grab the scorcher before the new warbond dropped, but I spent the medals on the new warbond instead. A few more days and I’ll have it. The sickle cleans up the little bots super quickly and never runs out of ammo, I can’t imagine the scorcher being better when I already have striders covered with AC and impact nades. I ran the dominator for a while, my understanding is it’s similar. The thing that’s so good about sickle in that slot is how fast it sweeps up like 6 littles. It really helps with target prioritization, you can mop those guys up before going back to any bigs you need to kill.

I tried the slugger, eruptor, and dominator vs bugs and even though everyone in thread has been saying it’s a great combo that covers each other’s weaknesses well, breaker (incendiary) is better. With breaker, you come out of the pod ready to eat like 80% of a bug breech using only the weapons you already have. The shield gen pack is gravy, it lets you make mistakes against chargers, hunters, and shriekers or facetank bile spewers but it’s not needed so if you got caught in a death spiral and lost your gear you’re not at 50% effectiveness.

These are maximum tryhard loadouts, of course there’s lots of other options that are fun. After I’ve played around with some other loadouts it can be nice to go back to the godmode loadouts and breeze through some missions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sindai posted:

Then again I have also seen the occasional shot be almost completely ineffective in a way that wouldn't account for.

Were they long range shots? Eruptor shots detonate at about 150m if they haven't hit anything.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Engineering Kit plus the new grenade pistol rules. Fourteen grenades!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Piell posted:

Eruptor is alright vs bots but not nearly as good as it is against bugs, and the autocannon is so god-tier against bots I think it fills the position you'd want the eruptor in much better and I'd have have a sickle/scorcher/dominator as primary
Bots are tough because Berserkers and Devastators and Scout Striders are super common and generally feel bad to kill with just about any primary. The Sickle feels okay as a primary and goes great work on Raiders but generally against bots, you're relying on your support weapon for 75% of the enemies you see. Obviously Autocannon is better, but it's a support weapon and needs a backpack.

So the Eruptor feels very good vs bots IMO, it can 1-2 shot everything below Hulks, and it has a phenomenal scope for long range sniping. On the plus side if you die you also respawn with your autocannon-lite and can contribute to firefights before recovering your gun. Eruptor + Quasar makes killing basically everything you see very possible, and with Stun grenades and/or EMS Mortar you can make up for the slow fire rate if you get overwhelmed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Dren posted:

Word. I was about to grab the scorcher before the new warbond dropped, but I spent the medals on the new warbond instead. A few more days and I’ll have it. The sickle cleans up the little bots super quickly and never runs out of ammo, I can’t imagine the scorcher being better when I already have striders covered with AC and impact nades.
I think if you're running AC punisher is actually the best complement. AC dry and you still have 5 berserkers and 10 jetpack guys coming at you? No problem.

The scorcher is for when you don't have a support weapon that can deal with striders and devastators.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Janissary Hop posted:

why didn't i listen to myself

with the fire tornados they could at least have the decency to let us shelter in place without getting killed by one so we could fully look at our phones during the five minute timeout

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sindai posted:

I think this is because a lot of the AOE comes from fragments with their own collision so there's some randomness in whether they hit stuff or not.

I was playing with someone else using the Erupter a few days ago who was complaining about how bad the gun was and we came across one of those bugged groups of 20-30 troopers standing in a huddle. He fired a shot into them and killed 0 and got no hits. I fired one and killed 19 of them. We were right beside each other, both hit the same point, etc.

It's really wonky

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah that's what I meant. It's only happened once or twice but I have seen shots fail to kill troopers they clearly impacted.

Maybe a rare network sync issue.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

I feel like the Eruptor is a good trash sweeper? I'll be upfront with this though, I've never had it suddenly decide to not have it's aoe explosion. This might be a host/client thing, or some other undiagnosed bug, but I've been playing as host for the past week or so and I've never had the Eruptor stop doing doe splash.

I feel like if you've used the Slugger or Scorcher to great effect at any range other than close up then you can use the Eruptor to even greater effect at good range. I'll snipe at devastators and walkers and accidentally get three to five extra kills in the process. I'll see a dense group of raiders pop up or patrol over a hill and take out fifteen of them in a few shots. You can aim it at the underside of drop ships and take out an entire drop of raiders or walkers. The only area where it's bad is when things are way too close and you either launch yourself forward with it's splashback, somehow, or it simply doesn't arm it's explosion at that range when you're shooting at the feet of your pursuers. The bots do wobble back and forth a lot and can be tricky to hit at range but I have more luck with the Eruptor at long range than I do with the Scorcher, and I just aim center mass at individual raiders where the Eruptor always one shots instead of mostly usually one shotting like with the Scorcher or shotguns.

That being said, it isn't a full AC replacement. The AC is just so loving good at dealing with bots that running other primaries that don't really step on the toes of the AC is probably more optimal. I think that's a good thing, having a good amount of choice in player loadout helps keep things fresh and dynamic. If my team is running an AC and Quasars or other anti tank options I'll run Eruptor, grenade pistol, and the first machine gun. If not I'll run Scorcher/Punisher and AC or RR. Being able to pop dropships out of the sky is better than killing ~half of the enemies they might be carrying.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What has me soured on the eruptor is trying to pick off individual troopers with it. The slow aim, the shaky reticle, and the lack of forgiveness if you’re off by a hair are one thing. Can kinda compensate by crouching, which is a little annoying as a requirement for the primary but is workable. The thing that put me over the edge was when I tried aiming at the trooper’s feet and the projectile ricocheted off the ground instead of exploding. I mean, it’s godlike if you have the high ground and do some animation canceling, but the autocannon is straight up better in every way and doesn’t require the player to compensate as much. Maybe an ideal eruptor build should include a jump pack, or stilts.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

New tech unlocked! Barrage yourself to safety and confusion of the pubs.

https://i.imgur.com/T2yqFwG.mp4

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I shot at the bots in a dropship about 50 meters away and one of the fragments from the shot killed my friend who was standing next to me.

Funniest gun in the game.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i refuse to go back to Menkent. sorry Democracy. develop a weather control device or something.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If fire tornadoes killed enemies half as effectively as they kill us, I'd never leave.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

It doesn’t feel like the animation cancelling is much faster to me than racking the bolt tbh, becuase if you do it too fast you just resume the bolt animation.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Zwabu posted:

You can shoot into the pelican and teamkill allies, and I've seen bile titans stomp through the pelican and kill everyone inside, but the pelican itself seems to be really solid cover and most poo poo can't get through.

Good news is as soon as the extract cutscene starts your rewards are already locked in, so dying in the cutscene doesn't lose you anything. Dying just before still does though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Infinite Karma posted:

If fire tornadoes killed enemies half as effectively as they kill us, I'd never leave.

So true, half the time it just sets berserkers on fire which makes them even more 40k-like.

I liberated menkent once, Joel can go to hell I’m not going back. Sticking to the other planets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The good news is Menkent is a very low-HP defense and on track for under 5 hours.

Still plenty of time for Lesath to get hit!