Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

lol at getting worried about Paddington. My older kid loves the Tintin series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

I'm not worried, I think it sucks

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

loquacius posted:

I'm not worried, I think it sucks

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nocturtle posted:

The rule of thumb for Herge is anything before The Blue Lotus is iffy. That's when he actually started doing research into, you know, other cultures.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Nocturtle posted:

No child of mine is reading holodomor fan fiction.

Honestly, though, it is really nice how easy it is nowadays to get books and shows and toys for my daughter that is more inclusive and features protagonists that actually look like her. It's not the norm yet, but the access to diverse stories is there for those who want it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

I made sure the six month old saw it and cast her into a volcano just to make sure the sun came back.
Mom was unhappy

What why? Your bravery and your daughter's purity of heart brought the sun back.

Thank you for your service.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Votskomit posted:

No child of mine is reading holodomor fan fiction.

Honestly, though, it is really nice how easy it is nowadays to get books and shows and toys for my daughter that is more inclusive and features protagonists that actually look like her. It's not the norm yet, but the access to diverse stories is there for those who want it.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff we and our parents remember as great is, in many ways, not really great on account of the times moving on. Both in terms of horrible racism and sexism and so forth, but also just general relatability. Pippi Longstocking is a great example: the basic story of independent minded strong girl not giving a poo poo about society's norms is great, but basically all the other characters don't exist in the real world today, so kids don't really feel it like the original audience. Like the kids who are all dressed up in Sunday clothes and not allowed to speak unless spoken to, that was relatable to my mom, but not really to me and very much not to my kids. (And also the bit about her father being a "negro king" is not good, but also the author agreed that it was bad and changed it to "pirate king").
And there's so much new stuff that's actually good. Also a lot of crap.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

BonHair posted:

Yeah, a lot of the stuff we and our parents remember as great is, in many ways, not really great on account of the times moving on. Both in terms of horrible racism and sexism and so forth, but also just general relatability. Pippi Longstocking is a great example: the basic story of independent minded strong girl not giving a poo poo about society's norms is great, but basically all the other characters don't exist in the real world today, so kids don't really feel it like the original audience. Like the kids who are all dressed up in Sunday clothes and not allowed to speak unless spoken to, that was relatable to my mom, but not really to me and very much not to my kids. (And also the bit about her father being a "negro king" is not good, but also the author agreed that it was bad and changed it to "pirate king").
And there's so much new stuff that's actually good. Also a lot of crap.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a pretty decent adaptation of Pippi Longstocking which is more relatable to a modern audience.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

The rule of thumb for Herge is anything before The Blue Lotus is iffy. That's when he actually started doing research into, you know, other cultures.

This is true and the bare minimum but even the later stuff is iffy. Looked at "Land of Black Gold" recently and there's lots of Arabs depicted as violent illiterates. Some issues are OK but as others mentioned there are lots of better options today. However we had a few issues lying around and the older kid really liked them.

Though in one of the stories Captain Haddock smuggles whiskey onto a rocket to the moon because he's a lush that can't go without alcohol for a few days, pretty good message.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Could be worse, I guess. My 8yo noticed my Cerebus collection (incomplete and mostly the early stuff). I've let her look at the first twenty odd issues, before it gets too Dave Sim-y.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Work and childcare is a tag team match. Three weeks ago me and my wife tagged out so now I am working and she is with babies. Babies have been fighting low level cold that escalated to low level ear infection for the past two weeks, so all my sympathy and heartfelt admiration goes out to her.

But to you guys... Sheeeeit Im nearing my limit on her canceling family vacations as a stress releiver, being sent all her vent texts, and making me take off work because she's want to murder the dog. Nobody is in danger, the babies have medicine and pediatric care, and we will have to go to the family summons no matter how often she spirals.

Like that's the biggest thing, our presence on these bullshit rear end excursions planned by her father is why he pays our rent, for the safety and security of the family it makes me scared as all hell when she drops it like a temp agency shift. This keeps happening like a Greek tragedy: she keeps trying to avoid this fate poo poo, and it has only made meeting that fate harder than it ever had to be for no gain.

Her brother just got the results from the autism test, his son has 2 autisms. Now we are uncancelling this trip so our son and his cousin can look at trains together. But God drat this tantrum is gonna cost somebody $1050 in fees. Bullshit!!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
ngl, that set up sounds like a sword of Damocles waiting to fall

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It'll be alright, we tag back out in June/July when she will be doing rich people things for money and I watch the babies at home.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I know this isn't a new take and many others have it worse, but it's hilarious that I still get texts from the school on a weekly basis that bus 410 or 212 or whatever is just not running so come get your kids. The idiots in power even at the local level can't even fund schools/bus driver training enough to function as the daycare that have had to thanks to how poo poo everything is.

This is a small thing among many awful things that have been done to public school, but I have to laugh when the person checking me in at the doctor asks the obligatory "have you felt depression recently?" Naw, everything's allllll good lol

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
godspeed kirbykhan the hardest part of parenting is the team management I m h o

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

hubris.height posted:

godspeed kirbykhan the hardest part of parenting is the team management I m h o

yeah it's hard to stay on the same page sometimes. after a tougher day we just talk about like an after-action report when the kid is sleeping and that seems to be working for us so far.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Kindergartener had her first lockdown drill today. They issue them little puppets to cuddle as they cower in the corner.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Thats really sad

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Kindergartener had her first lockdown drill today. They issue them little puppets to cuddle as they cower in the corner.

This country shouldn't be allowed

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

RBC posted:

Thats really sad

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:stare:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

jfc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I suspect this thread is pretty US-centric but as someone from the UK, the idea of having to have lockdown drills in kindergarten boggles the mind

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Microplastics posted:

I suspect this thread is pretty US-centric but as someone from the UK, the idea of having to have lockdown drills in kindergarten boggles the mind

oh it boggles our minds too

But it's also just this long sense of horror that never stops.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah, it hosed me up for the rest of the day but I want to make it clear that the kids were completely stoked about quiet puppet playtime. Their teachers did the best job they could to make it non-traumatic and kept the what completely divorced from the why. It really seems like they succeeded. My hope is that it ends up being a nonsensical thing she did as a kid like duck and cover drills were.

I think I mentioned it before, but her whole elementary school was rebuilt from the ground up in 2020 and it incorporates anti-shooter enhancements throughout. The main foyer is a legit mantrap that outside of pick-up and drop off is closed so you need to pass an audio inspection to even get there. All the exterior doors except the mantrap are permalocked and all the interior doors are big heavy bastards with deadbolts and supplemental top/bottom bolts. The hallways have periodic spurs that jut out and break sight lines down long hallways and there are some heavy-rear end steel shutters a few feet past secondary entrance points.

While I know none of these things, individually or as a whole, are fool proof I appreciate they exist and are functionally invisible to the kids. In many ways it's the opposite of security theater.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It really is too bad nothing can be done about it!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I think I mentioned it before, but her whole elementary school was rebuilt from the ground up in 2020 and it incorporates anti-shooter enhancements throughout. The main foyer is a legit mantrap that outside of pick-up and drop off is closed so you need to pass an audio inspection to even get there. All the exterior doors except the mantrap are permalocked and all the interior doors are big heavy bastards with deadbolts and supplemental top/bottom bolts. The hallways have periodic spurs that jut out and break sight lines down long hallways and there are some heavy-rear end steel shutters a few feet past secondary entrance points.

Think I built something like this in Rimworld

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids school is a re-purposed shooting range

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Better than the other way around

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Lol I am definitely homeschooling my daughter

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
they really oughta bring back shooting lessons in gym class so that the kids can shoot back

041224_2
Apr 12, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

fartman posted:

they really oughta bring back shooting lessons in gym class so that the kids can shoot back

Uh Tennessee is doing that

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
2 year old loves cars, so we play a game where she runs around the apartment parking lot looking for her favourite cars, and I teach her to read using license plates and model numbers.

It's surprisingly effective.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's a cute game, gonna steal that. Good job!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just be prepared to have time to read every single license plate you pass for a while. That was a fun period, especially when I wanted to be somewhere not on a street.

My one year old is also super into cars. I hope he grows out of it and learns to hate them like his brother. At least he has been very much against doing inside one the few times we've had the chance.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol your kid is carbrained

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Hello 4am my old friend

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chad Sexington posted:

Hello 4am my old friend

sup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

tristeham posted:

lol your kid is carbrained

She also loves trains, and this video:

https://www.youtube.com/live/4V-aZ-50vIA?si=GUXVgDTLIiUfcwku

If I had access to a train depot I'd probably take her there. Alas, I have to cope with parking lots.