Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I just discovered something fun.

With the death pall.

Turns out it doesn't just affect humans, but any animal as well.
Which was fine, right up until one of my colonists decided it was a good idea to slaughter one of our donkeys
The donkey came to life in the middle of the pen and started stomping the chicks, who also started coming back to life.

It was like a game of whack-a-mole with the chicks getting back up, until I came up with a brilliant idea.

Whenever my melee pawn put one of the chicks down he would simply eat the corpse like a chicken nugget.
Farm crisis averted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Small mechanical tip also, in vanilla, natural granite walls are stronger than anything you can construct, so if you have a granite mountain on your map it makes a very effective containment cell if you hollow them out of the rock, as wall HP determines containment strength.

You can also build them out of plasteel for almost the same effect but granite is easier to come by. Also encourages horrible labyrinthine containment facilities if you follow the natural rock patterns :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

lunar detritus posted:

I have no idea what to do here.

it could be worse :shrug:

my one likely survivor is 2 years old, everyone else is shortly going to bleed out and they're surrounded by redacteds if they manage to get up and maybe have a chance at self tending lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm annoyed because I reacted to the clue thing right away, I have three fairly skilled researchers, three doctors, I started doing surgical inspections as soon as it was possible to do and I'm pretty sure everyone was already compromised.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Fresh run, just get into fall and an event triggers. 14 year old shows up wanting to talk, their lowest stat is a 14 in social and good traits. They want to join. I'm sure at some point this is going to end extremely badly but how can I say no to free 16 crafting at the start of fall

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

realizing that the custom gimmick xenotype thing I'm trying to do is super at odds with this batch of content, in a bunch of different ways :smith:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Someone decided I might need some medicine after a raid so they podded it directly to my hospital

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So are people just dropping a bookcase into their sterile research rooms? I don't really want to do that. I will probably be creating like, a research rec room? A high tech research bench in a room with wood floors and comfy chairs

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I have a couple bookcases.

The one in the rec room is filled with novels that boost recreation.

The one in the science lab has all the text books and schematics and the like, plus a couch.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tangent: How is Biotech? I didn't get it because I have no interest in mechs or xenos. But it feels real weird to not have children. DF has children.

I can easily justify it by assuming the seed corn everyone has in their pockets is genetically engineered with a human fertility suppressant by some ancient empire as a form of population control, and when the empire fell the anti-contraceptive was lost. Which also neatly explains why the planet is covered in ruins but has a total population of a few thousand -- most of whom have backstories of being born on a different planet. But still, it's weird.

Since I'm only interested in the kids part I kept waiting for it to go on sale, but it looks like rimword DLC never goes more than 10% off.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

QuarkJets posted:

So are people just dropping a bookcase into their sterile research rooms? I don't really want to do that. I will probably be creating like, a research rec room? A high tech research bench in a room with wood floors and comfy chairs

Aesthetics trump all

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mechs are great and kids are, somehow, despite everything about Rimworld, also great.

Seems like you can do a lot with genes I haven’t really though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Biotech is really good in combination with mods(to open up gene options and cosmetics) about adding aliens to this high tech sci fi death world and letting you start as a group of them. There was decent support for that prior to Biotech by mods like HAR(Humanoid Alien Race) and a few high quality ones like Syr's Naga but aside from being slow to update patch to patch they've been largely invalidated by Biotech unless you want a specific flavor of murderous foxgirl. Vanilla Expanded in particular has gone in hard on diversifying the usefulness of aliens in a Faster Than Light way and even base Biotech adds a nice punch of variety to enemy groups like angry chewbaccas that are ferocious in melee(I think, might be modded for Yttakin?), ornery pigmen, toxic sludge fueled muties and fireproof/firebreathing devil people.

The kid system is very good too, they're surprisingly unobtrusive and even very young kids can safely contribute as haulers/cleaners as long as you mind your work zoning and natural dangers on the map. I know, I know, child labor but eh, it's that kinda setting and you can always only assign them like 4 hours of strict work a day. Or not. If you give them a schedule of mostly Anything they'll get plenty of rec in as well as shadow people working to learn and when a bit older you can set up classrooms. Or you can go full child soldiers, the sooner they fire shots from fast guns the faster their shoot stat goes up. :getin:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 15, 2024

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I find the kids to be great fun as well. Sure, they tend to meet with all sorts of horrible accidents, but if you raise 'em up well, they end up being super useful colonists.

For kids, you have the options of all-natural method, IVF conception but then proceed naturally, IVF into growth vat til birth, or IVF into growth vat til adulthood, all with various drawbacks & benefits (mostly time vs. skill growth).

The other biotech stuff is the colony mechs, which I always intend to use more than I really do. They do take a lot of steel and power. I've gotten scythers for two colonies, they are pretty useful as repairable roadblocks if nothing else. Nothing of the further tiers though, yet, for me.

And the genes, which I again try to use but sort of make one slightly useful gene upgrade and then disaster kills the colony in some unrelated incident.

But the kids are always around and always entertaining. Even when a dozen of them show up begging for beer or silver.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I think the books have changed the design meta a bit so you want to now build a combined rec/hospital/lab room, rather than just a hospital/lab.

You can also just put a research bench in a rec room too if you want. You want a fancy hospital as well anyway though cos of the mood bonus.

I guess technically you could combine hospital/lab/rec/dining all together to use the same quality bonuses but that starts to look excessively weird :v:

E: biotech is great, probably the best expansion IMO. The xenotypes are great even if you don't get into the gene editing, you can do just a little bit of it quite easily though. Kids are great, they allow a really nice organic growth element to the colony and if you look after them you can generally pick enough traits and skills that you can make the kind of colonists you want. Vamps are good fun too. Robots are great also, and extremely useful when combined with anomaly because a disposable workforce that can't be subject to the various horrible things your colonists can when fighting the monsters is very useful. Can't get The Thing'ed if you're a robot (as far as I know)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 15, 2024

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I'm finding ghouls (or at least the single starter one for the researcher start) to be really useful in clearing out the debris/junk that has to be attacked to be destroyed -- previously I'd wait to clean those up until the colony was developed enough to have someone whose effort wasn't really necessary to keep everyone alive.

Now, there's zero opportunity cost for having a ghoul tear apart something like an ancient warwalker torso, because they wouldn't be doing anything else useful in that time either!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Tangent: How is Biotech? I didn't get it because I have no interest in mechs or xenos. But it feels real weird to not have children. DF has children.

I can easily justify it by assuming the seed corn everyone has in their pockets is genetically engineered with a human fertility suppressant by some ancient empire as a form of population control, and when the empire fell the anti-contraceptive was lost. Which also neatly explains why the planet is covered in ruins but has a total population of a few thousand -- most of whom have backstories of being born on a different planet. But still, it's weird.

Since I'm only interested in the kids part I kept waiting for it to go on sale, but it looks like rimword DLC never goes more than 10% off.

Biotech is the best expansion imo. Children really added a whole new dimension to the game, I have having the ability to have families, kids, schools, etc. And the rest of the new stuff is mostly excellent too. With mechanitors I really like the first tier of robots, having a few cleaners and haulers really helps smooth out some of the wrinkles in an early colony and makes it a lot easier to set up more advanced logistics later. I don't like most of the later-tier stuff as much so I just don't engage with it anymore. I'm not crazy about vampires but they're fine. Genetic modification is another metagame lever much like the stuff in Ideology was; everything around gene extraction kind of sucks and I avoid it now, but you can buy and collect genes and then create your own xenotypes and that can be very interesting, plus you can tailor your starting xenotype very easily. Xenotypes can be anything from a fun little variation on your pawns to something that you use to fully tailor each pawn's capabilities, like you'd do with bionics/other equipment. Xenotypes also add variety to the types of pawns that you can receive/recruit, I like getting a Hussar for instance because they're always really good combatants

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think the books have changed the design meta a bit so you want to now build a combined rec/hospital/lab room, rather than just a hospital/lab.

Yeah I was thinking about doing that, knowing that's how you'd min/max the research bonuses, but I just can't. Sterile tiles and hospital beds are completely at odds with my mental concept of what a rec room looks like. I think I'd rather have a separate hospital, still make it nice of course but it's not going to be a place where people just like.. hang out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Biotech is great, and if you want it to feel more like DF, Wasters are like goblins

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I was thinking about doing that, knowing that's how you'd min/max the research bonuses, but I just can't. Sterile tiles and hospital beds are completely at odds with my mental concept of what a rec room looks like. I think I'd rather have a separate hospital, still make it nice of course but it's not going to be a place where people just like.. hang out.

It would probably be nice if you could combine some room bonuses by building them adjacent. Like if you build a kitchen next to a freezer and a dining room then it would automatically stock food from the kitchen in like, proper buffet stands or something in the adjacent dining room and you get a bonus to meal quality or something if you do that. Hospitals could benefit from adjacent rec rooms, labs and rec rooms could share libraries etc.

As it stands, because you can never really have enough books, I think a combined reading room/lab would be required because otherwise you're not really gonna make good use of that bonus without stacking all your books together.

I suppose the other option would be making the book improvements to research be map-wide, with the idea being your researchers would go get the book they need as part of the job whereas for casual reading the library is part of the ambiance.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
If I was ever limited to just one expansion it would 100% be biotech.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Flesh Forge posted:

my one likely survivor is 2 years old, everyone else is shortly going to bleed out and they're surrounded by redacteds if they manage to get up and maybe have a chance at self tending lol

I don't really like this aspect of Anomaly. I get really attached to my pawns, more so than any other thing in Rimworld. If one or two die from a raid/expedition/disaster, that's okay. If I have to abandon a base, that's painful but acceptable as well, because your pawns with all their interpersonal relationships survive. But I always reload when something wipes out basically my whole colony, and it seems like I would have to reload far further back with this kind of anomaly, which just sucks.

I don't even know what could help here. Superclotting so your pawns don't bleed out? That would make this gene nearly mandatory. Maintaining basically two separate living and work areas, so that half of your colony has no contact with the other half and is sure to be uninfected when checking for infection? Do you have to maintain two bases on different tiles so you can fly in a doctor to check? I don't like any of these options!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
just had the perfect confluence of events give me the perfect first revenant

I'd gotten a proximity sensor on the one approach to my base - due to being in a mountainous coast with a road, my base wound up being oddly shaped but by taking advantage of the rocks and hills I got myself down to only one approach, from the south.

This did not save the first victim, who was outside the wall getting wood at the time.

I just pulled back behind the wall. At this point I had five combat pawns - one of whom was a mechanitor with two militors - two pacifists, and a baby. I figured I'd just pop it when it tripped the proximity sensor. Proximity sensor goes off, and... it's a sightstealer? gently caress, two different entities at once? And not only that, but killing the first one makes it scream and summons more sightstealers with no real indication of how many or if it'd be all at once. So now I have two different invisible enemies who are gonna be coming into my base, one far more dangerous than the other, and because of how the proximity sensor works I don't know which is which.

This is how the revenant gets its second victim. In one spot the proximity sensor only covers a few tiles, and while dealing with another sightstealer the revenant bolts past the weakest part of the sensor and grabs them. I shoot it a bit, and get the first sample which lets me see its trail for longer. I keep staring at the other end of the hill tunnel it came through trying to see where its trail goes, but don't see it.

Time passes. I kill another sightstealer. Time passes. I watch the top of the screen like a hawk. It doesn't help the third victim, because it never actually left my base after its second victim. I get there in time to knock off a second sample - this one letting my pawns do a metal gear solid "!" if they're near an invisible revenant - but it gets away.

I am now starting to panic a bit. Every time the revenant's grabbed one of the combat pawns. It has mercifully not taken the Mechanitor, but I am now down to the mechanitor, their two militors, and one other pawn capable of fighting this thing. I have firefoam and now that I can find it when it's chilling between eating people's souls I can actually start hunting it, but if it takes another pawn I'm probably hosed and if it takes the Mechanitor I'm definitely hosed.

Well, I stop panicking a little when I actually go out and kick the poo poo out of it a few times. I even bring one of the pacifists - partially so she can carry another firefoam pop pack, and partially because she's a noble and can call in some imperial troopers to help kick the poo poo out of it. I don't kill it, but its Sentience stat (which I'm really hoping is not just its health) is dropping fast. But it's fast too, and I can only firefoam it three times, each time only getting about ten seconds to shoot it, before running out.

I do this twice. On the second journey back to resupply, my three pawns are just inside the proximity sensor (and the imperials just hosed off, of course)... and the sensor dings. It's coming back.

The one pacifist was going south a bit to meditate. The two fighters were going north a bit. I could see a few claw marks in their direction.

I drafted the pacifist and put it in a narrow tunnel it had to pass through. And, evidently, a revenant will take the first target it runs into, because it took her instead - and gave me enough time to get the third sample. Which just lets you see the bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixBV5xo9NkM

It didn't take anyone else. I don't think it even got a chance to stop running. Partly because I knew if it activated again I was hosed... and partly because shooting the poo poo out of that prick was incredibly satisfying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

That's a nasty event. I've been watching my pawns like a hawk hoping not to encounter this poo poo. Can ghouls get infected too?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just encountered my first Devourer. Read the description and then positioned my ghoul so that it'd get eaten first, then everyone else shot it to death. Yikes!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can you throw tox packs into the pit?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I don't really like this aspect of Anomaly. I get really attached to my pawns, more so than any other thing in Rimworld. If one or two die from a raid/expedition/disaster, that's okay. If I have to abandon a base, that's painful but acceptable as well, because your pawns with all their interpersonal relationships survive. But I always reload when something wipes out basically my whole colony, and it seems like I would have to reload far further back with this kind of anomaly, which just sucks.

I don't even know what could help here. Superclotting so your pawns don't bleed out? That would make this gene nearly mandatory. Maintaining basically two separate living and work areas, so that half of your colony has no contact with the other half and is sure to be uninfected when checking for infection? Do you have to maintain two bases on different tiles so you can fly in a doctor to check? I don't like any of these options!

this meta event is just way too hard in its current form, it should have some throttle to make this scenario (100% spread) a lot harder to arrive at. needs work.

QuarkJets posted:

That's a nasty event. I've been watching my pawns like a hawk hoping not to encounter this poo poo. Can ghouls get infected too?

don't know but I suspect yes

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I haven't grabbed Anomaly yet, but reading reviews/watching videos has made me a bit concerned that the way to deal with a fair number of the events seems to be "do a bunch of very tedious micromanagement in a relatively narrow window of in-game time or your colony wipes".

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not sure what long term value Anomaly will have for the game, but I have to admit, it's a lot more fun than I was expecting because I have no idea what to expect at any moment.

Once all the systems are known, and the optimal counter plays are just a matter of execution, it will hit very differently.

There are a fair number of base management tools, but they're all locked behind the new type of research that involves imprisoning monsters. Very few of the colonies I've played in the past would take a cosmic horror and go "hmm, I wonder what I could learn from this if I strap it down and do experiments on it" so I thought I'd just ignore that part of the game. But that's all Anomaly is, so I decided to RP a group of amoral scientists and honestly, it's been a ton of fun. The absurd persistence of hostile factions makes more sense in the context of the truly insane, incredibly dangerous research you're doing. Not to mention all the eldritch rituals you've done to teleport their people to your base to suck the youth out of them.

But as fun as this has been for a single playthrough, I really don't know what kind of longevity the features of this expansion could really have.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kanos posted:

I haven't grabbed Anomaly yet, but reading reviews/watching videos has made me a bit concerned that the way to deal with a fair number of the events seems to be "do a bunch of very tedious micromanagement in a relatively narrow window of in-game time or your colony wipes".

So far I've encountered probably 20 Anomaly events and none of them have been on that scale. Most things are pretty standard Rimworld stuff but with a horror movie flare and some cool new music to go with it. I've spoilered myself on maybe 3 events that would really concern me if they happened. I'm not totally sure how I'd handle metalhorrors; I'm being wary of new people and watching my pawns more I guess. I haven't kicked the obelisk into the next phase yet; that may be part of why things are going okay

I encountered a Chimera pack for the first time today: basically a bunch of huge roided out animal chimeras showed up on the map edge, and the event says that they're not attacking but may be looking for a good opportunity. I took this as meaning that they'd hunt down any lone pawns that strayed near them. I met them in the field and they were pretty fast and tough, but they went down. This is a pretty cool variation of manhunter packs imo, you can't easily gun them down in your premade killbox but they'll also hang back and not mess with you if you keep your distance.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 15, 2024

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The first time I played a game with kids, I got to see my first baby colonist become a toddler and immediately run into a spike trap. I was so bummed out I gave up on that base.

Is it possible to conquer an enemy base and set up there yourself? I've never attacked a permanent settlement before. There never seemed a great reason to, but after seeing some screenshots here, like Lunar Detritus', it seems like Anomaly could provide some. Plus it creates a cool horror story narrative where I save myself from evil I unleash and others pay for it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I have captured the Torment Nexus

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Doomykins posted:

Biotech is really good in combination with mods(to open up gene options and cosmetics) about adding aliens to this high tech sci fi death world and letting you start as a group of them. There was decent support for that prior to Biotech by mods like HAR(Humanoid Alien Race) and a few high quality ones like Syr's Naga but aside from being slow to update patch to patch they've been largely invalidated by Biotech unless you want a specific flavor of murderous foxgirl. Vanilla Expanded in particular has gone in hard on diversifying the usefulness of aliens in a Faster Than Light way and even base Biotech adds a nice punch of variety to enemy groups like angry chewbaccas that are ferocious in melee(I think, might be modded for Yttakin?), ornery pigmen, toxic sludge fueled muties and fireproof/firebreathing devil people.

The kid system is very good too, they're surprisingly unobtrusive and even very young kids can safely contribute as haulers/cleaners as long as you mind your work zoning and natural dangers on the map. I know, I know, child labor but eh, it's that kinda setting and you can always only assign them like 4 hours of strict work a day. Or not. If you give them a schedule of mostly Anything they'll get plenty of rec in as well as shadow people working to learn and when a bit older you can set up classrooms. Or you can go full child soldiers, the sooner they fire shots from fast guns the faster their shoot stat goes up. :getin:

yeah biotech is all around well designed and it will take a while of messing around with it before it will click just how powerful it is and how completely it can change the game and let you set up wildly different scenarios. which owns

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why does the Anomaly DLC splashscreen have the lady wearing glasses when there are no glasses in the game?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I have captured the Torment Nexus

This is an excellent move that will increase shareholder value.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a way to bring corpses/bodies from one map to another?
My ghoul died while exploring a pit, and I can't seem to find a way to get my colonists to haul it outside.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

it turns out this was not the desired behavior and they changed/fixed it they're not supposed to silently infect 100% of the colony, they're supposed to emerge at 50%

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack Trades posted:

Why does the Anomaly DLC splashscreen have the lady wearing glasses when there are no glasses in the game?

There aren't feet or shoes in the game either, I think you're supposed to sort of assume some people would have them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HopperUK posted:

There aren't feet or shoes in the game either, I think you're supposed to sort of assume some people would have them.

Especially since the game accounts for feet and hands getting damaged and there is no way to protect them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Leal posted:

Especially since the game accounts for feet and hands getting damaged and there is no way to protect them

This is one of the weirdest Rimworldisms, honestly. It would make sense to abstract hands/feet away as part of the limb as a whole(which is what effectively happens once everyone all cybered up) or it would make sense to let you protect those parts with clothing like everything else, but instead vanilla does neither.